Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't deny either point. But clearly he interviewed with police without a lawyer. He says he answered all their questions. In the circumstances, that would take several hours over many visits. CCSO haven't denied that, explicitly or explicitly. He hasn't been described as uncooperative. He even admits to LS there was a discrepancy between his memory and other contradictory evidence. Are we really going to quibble about whether it was 30 hours or 13? He clearly spent substantial time in the Reid meatgrinder and didn't confess. That point seems unavoidable. It gives me pause regardless whether BM exaggerated the time.
We don’t know if he was cooperative or not, or how much time he actually spent in questioning, or if he answered all of their questions or not. I wouldn’t expect this LE to comment either way. They don’t comment.

I can't deny either point. But clearly he interviewed with police without a lawyer. He says he answered all their questions. In the circumstances, that would take several hours over many visits. CCSO haven't denied that, explicitly or explicitly. He hasn't been described as uncooperative. He even admits to LS there was a discrepancy between his memory and other contradictory evidence. Are we really going to quibble about whether it was 30 hours or 13? He clearly spent substantial time in the Reid meatgrinder and didn't confess. That point seems unavoidable. It gives me pause regardless whether BM exaggerated the time.
bbm
If BM himself claims to have spent time being grilled in the "Reid Meatgrinder"... I will take that as a fantasy of someone who also scoured 400 + miles with his war buddy.
BM is obviously A legend in his own mind but no one else's, and certainly not law enforcements' mind.
No one has said BM was questioned using the Reid method.
My .02 is that he said very little to LE once they asked a very few questions of their own !
BM dried up quickly after that.
Not disparaging him at all -- as he did put effort into that 26 second video plea, along with the helpful friend or relative who filmed it.
So kudos for doing everything he could possibly muster.
Imo.

Except if she were known to go riding it would be a very logical question...is her bike there?

I wish we knew what other questions were asked before the leap to have the neighbor check for SM’s bike in the garage. Did Barry call any of Suzanne’s friends to see if she might be with them and perhaps accidentally turned her phone off? Did he ask the neighbor to walk the area around the house to see if Suzanne may be relaxing or reading by the river?

I get it - bike riding might be something Suzanne did most often in her leisure time, and it was the first choice of possibilities. But it seems oddly coincidental if a bike ride was the first thing to be checked, and the bike also happened to be crashed over a hillside. Just a lucky guess by him, maybe.

jmo

I wish we knew what other questions were asked before the leap to have the neighbor check for SM’s bike in the garage. Did Barry call any of Suzanne’s friends to see if she might be with them and perhaps accidentally turned her phone off? Did he ask the neighbor to walk the area around the house to see if Suzanne may be relaxing or reading by the river?

I get it - bike riding might be something Suzanne did most often in her leisure time, and it was the first choice of possibilities. But it seems oddly coincidental if a bike ride was the first thing to be checked, and the bike also happened to be crashed over a hillside. Just a lucky guess by him, maybe.

jmo

These are truly excellent points.
99.99% these exact questions will be answered at some point in an affidavit.

jmo

How do you know he interviewed without a lawyer? I hadn’t heard that before.

FWIW, SMs case was on Access Hollywood tonight (12/15).

I'll try and find a link.

ETA: SMs spot will be on next. I'll report. (7:16 p.m. PST.)

Very brief spot. Photo of BM, mention of SM gone missing. SMs Missing Poster shown. Mention of HI in Broomfield and smell of bleach. Clip of Sheriff Spezze indicating case was still active. Showed AM and one of the water searches. No named POI. Tipline number shown at close of spot.

In other words, nothing new.

It's good the case is still getting visibility.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
If the Reid Meatgrinder is such a powerful and successful interrogation strategy, why aren’t LE eliciting more confessions? The national clearance rate for homicide is only 64%.
I thought that thing had been put on a bonfire a long time ago, discredited and the like?
Wasn't too hot at all, apparently...
Reid Technique for Interrogations - IResearchNet

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...73_17-1172 Brief in Support of Petitioner.pdf

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/159569902.pdf

In relation to interview time in hours we must remember that he should have been the central focus for interview, he was the last one to see her, he said.
he was her spouse and he knew her ways and personality, all that would have taken several hours to elicit. She would not have been known to LE.
They needed every screed of info they could get about her in order to focus their searches so that would have taken hours to elicit and didn't he start off by shouting at them or something about contaminating a crime scene, a bicycle?
How did that play out exactly?
They met his Vietnam 400 tour superman first, was that it??
That was a multi-agency search. They would have required a helluva lot of the NOK's descriptions..
I never read that he was interrogated.
But something.

“I’ve never been asked to do a polygraph,” Barry said. “There is nothing that I am hiding. I have given three – 30 hours of testimony to the FBI and the CBI. I’ve answered every question. Every single question.” ***Quote copied from GKnot’s post.

It’s possible that Barry did answer “every single question.” He may have answered: I don’t know, I can’t remember, I don’t recall, I’m confused about the timing of this/that, I don’t understand the question, you guys are trying to ruin my life, I was in a hurry and not paying attention to the time, there was a thing I did, ummm I’m not sure, and I might have the order of this/that turned around because I’m so upset.

Rinse/repeat for three -30 hours.

JMO

jmo

I still think there was something the neighbor saw in the house that upset her. Was it just one phone call to BM? I think it was clarified that the neighbor actually called LE? So why would a neighbor be so inclined to call LE if BM thought she just might be out riding her bike? BM told her to call LE? Maybe he said "look if your so worried go ahead and call LE".

I don't know, I wish we knew also...

IMO I think there is quite a bit of conversation right there in that time frame by BM to whoever that set a tone with LE.

“I’ve never been asked to do a polygraph,” Barry said. “There is nothing that I am hiding. I have given three – 30 hours of testimony to the FBI and the CBI. I’ve answered every question. Every single question.” ***Quote copied from GKnot’s post.

It’s possible that Barry did answer “every single question.” He may have answered: I don’t know, I can’t remember, I don’t recall, I’m confused about the timing of this/that, I don’t understand the question, you guys are trying to ruin my life, I was in a hurry and not paying attention to the time, there was a thing I did, ummm I’m not sure, and I might have the order of this/that turned around because I’m so upset.

Rinse/repeat for three -30 hours.

JMO
It's occurred to me that he was going to say he had been questioned 3 times, stopped himself, and instead just added up the amount of time which he estimated to be 30 hours all together.

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

SABBM:

“We don’t know why God does what he does,” Barry told Scharf. ” But we have to trust him.”<snip>

“This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry explained. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.” <snip>

“I’ve never been asked to do a polygraph,” Barry said. “There is nothing that I am hiding. I have given three – 30 hours of testimony to the FBI and the CBI. I’ve answered every question. Every single question.” <snip>

Barry did admit an inconsistency in one timeline he provided to investigators.
“It was only because I didn’t know the time that I did something, a mechanical thing, to my bobcat,” he said. “I was confused and I just found out my wife was missing, and I was a little bit not in my right mind when they were asking me these questions, but I did the best I could and I answered everything. I never once declined any interview.” <snip>

“The Sheriff’s Department screwed this whole thing up from the beginning and now they are trying to cover it up and blame it on me,” he said. <snip>

“My buddy was there right after that, and he said that they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t listen to him and said, ‘this is not CSI,'” Barry said. “There’s no evidence for the investigators to see because the Sheriff’s Department completely obliterated it.

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

SABBM:

But Barry Morphew has questioned Gentile’s character in conversations he’s had with FOX21.

“She’s a meth head,” Barry said. “She’s mad at me because I fired her and don’t let her work for me anymore. She’s mad. So they’re not gonna say anything good about me.” <snip>

“I am innocent. 100% innocent,” Barry told FOX21 News. “The social media and the news media has made it seem like I’m a bad guy.

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

JMO.

I still think there was something the neighbor saw in the house that upset her. Was it just one phone call to BM? I think it was clarified that the neighbor actually called LE? So why would a neighbor be so inclined to call LE if BM thought she just might be out riding her bike? BM told her to call LE? Maybe he said "look if your so worried go ahead and call LE".

IMO I think there is quite a bit of conversation right there in that time frame by BM to whoever that set a tone with LE.

You took the words right out of my mouth and/or you've been peeking in my brain;)
We are wondering the same things

If I could know two things right now about SMs disappearance, I think it would be these:
•Where is Suzanne?
•What did the person who called 911 say on that call, and in any contemporaneous interviews, and is it connected to why LE focused on the Morphew home so soon?

The following happened recently near me and is not a 1:1 comparison to SMs situation
(the end of this story is that the man was eventually found, but not until the next day)

I mention it for this reason:
There was no search warrant sought and implemented at the "missing on a bike ride" man's house
His family was not barred from entering the home
LE was busy searching for a man reported to be missing while on a bike ride, not seeking search warrants for his home

"Crews were able to ping his cell phone and found the phone and his bike, but no sign of the man."

Rescue crews find missing biker in McDowell Mountain park in Scottsdale | Arizona News | azfamily.com
Rescue crews find missing biker in McDowell Mountain park in Scottsdale

My views/thoughts

How do you know he interviewed without a lawyer? I hadn’t heard that before.

Yeah, I don’t think we know for sure here if BM had a lawyer at any point. If I was a betting man, which I am, I would put a lot of money on him not lawyering up.

I can’t imagine any attorney allowing him to sit down for multiple lengthy interviews (I believe these happened, although the lengthy may be exaggerated).

I also can’t imagine any lawyer advising him to conduct multiple media interviews, especially considering each one reflected worse on him than the previous one.

I think his lawyers were the kind that specialize in other areas, to include the one who helped with his guardianship petition.

@MassGuy – you said, “Without a body, a witness, or compelling physical evidence, there was zero chance he would have been arrested early on.”

My point, poorly made, was that he would certainly have been arrested if the interrogation had achieved its goal: his confession to the murder of his wife.

It’s no surprise that BM’s first conversation with LE resulted in the discrepancy he admitted to LS, and even more. This was not a kind and casual conversation with a bereft husband – it was the professional interrogation of a natural suspect: the sole intimate partner of a woman who disappeared under circumstances that aroused the CCSO’s suspicion.

The investigators likely would have employed elements of the “Reid technique” – an approach to interrogation developed after courts began to exclude from evidence confessions that resulted from physical beatings and threats, sleep or food deprivation, prolonged isolation, or explicit promises of light sentences or immunity from prosecution.

The Reid technique employs forms of psychological coercion with the goal of extracting a confession. It is based on proven psychological influence strategies so powerful that the technique is known to have induced suspects to confess to crimes they did not commit.

If you’ve ever participated in a formal deposition or a trial of any kind, you know how stressful a high stakes conversation can be. My friend recently testified for seven hours in a civil case, and she was mentally and physically exhausted. And this was in a court, with a friendly attorney and a judge to keep the cross examination from becoming argumentative, repetitive, or otherwise harassing. Without an attorney in a police interrogation, there is no such protection.

With this in mind, the idea that a guilty BM could spend 30 hours being interrogated by CCSO investigators without confessing seems dissonant. I frankly don’t see him as a genius sociopath who could breeze through a Reid interrogation sans counsel without breaking a sweat. The fact that he didn’t confess under the circumstances gives me a reason to avoid leaping to a firm conclusion that he’s guilty of murdering his wife, without seeing the actual evidence.

I agree entirely that the CCSO must have some evidence that BM committed a crime and evidence of that crime could be found at the Salida worksite where he had done hardscaping. However murky the definition of probable cause may be, it’s hard to see how a connection of that worksite could be made without at least some evidence that BM had committed a crime and disposed of evidence there.

But that’s as far as it goes. The search of the worksite produced no evidence related to MS’s disappearance, according to the DCSO’s public statement. And whatever evidence supported the judge’s determination of probable cause, it is undermined somewhat by the failure to produce the expected evidence.

In any case, whatever the burden of proof for probable cause may be, it falls far short of “compelling” evidence. In my mind the worksite warrant seemed very significant when it was served. It still signals that LE has some evidence that tends to show BM’s guilt. But I can’t now characterize the warrant as “stunning” and “a big deal” without seeing the actual evidence on which the warrant was based.

I agree that the Broomfield job is a “bad look” at the very least. If it was intended to be an alibi, it creates more suspicion than it’s worth. Even in a state where you can get a construction job if you can lift a nailgun, can the inexplicably slapdash recruitment of a “meth-head” crew for a repair job rescheduled at the last minute and inadequately led, equipped, and prepped be the work of a credible contractor? People are right to question this, and BM may well have to explain. But as far as we know, the explanation may be that he needed to cover an assignation with an old flame he recently discovered in Broomfield. Then his wife disappeared and the scheme blew up in his face. In that case he’s certainly a disgraceful husband, but probably not a murderer.

We don’t know what the cell phone records of the various parties say. This, and the forensic analysis of the PP home search, are the most intriguing areas of speculation here, and you may be right. This evidence may be part of a damning picture, in which Suzanne is dead by the morning of Mother’s Day when BM claims she was alive. Clearly it hasn’t eliminated suspicion to that effect. But until I see the evidence, I won’t know how impactful it is.

Clearly, you are a civilized man, @MassGuy. BM presents to the public as more of a stumblebum. As my grandmother would say, “He is a schmuck. He didn’t deserve her! If her family don’t like him, they’re right!!” But his behavior is not at all unprecedented for guys like him, let alone contrary to human nature. JMO. Of course.

To your final point, serial killers have been known to abduct low risk victims from low crime areas time and time again without immediate detection.

But MSM has not looked into the Sex Offender Registry, and LE has not shared whether any suspected active serial killers may be around (like the CIA, they have their methods but don’t share).

So we don’t get to speculate here about anyone other than BM.

I may join in the speculation about BM, but life has taught me to be prepared for surprises.
I realize some are still on the fence as to BM’s guilt or innocence, and I respect everyone’s opinion no matter which side of fence you may lean toward.

While we don’t know what all LE knows, many of the facts, or how much physical evidence LE may or may not have amassed up to this point, it follows they must have something(s) of compelling evidentiary value, as the focus of their investigation seems to be centered on one prime suspect-BM. We don’t know the content of LE’s interviews with BM or whether or not he had an attorney present during those interviews, which my guess is, probably not. Anyhoo, he obviously didn’t confess which I don’t find unusual or strange as many suspects never crack no matter how much pressure LE puts on them, or tries to elicit a confession.

We do however know about some of the behaviors of BM since SM went missing which IMO don’t reflect the behaviors of an innocent Spouse when their Spouse suddenly and inexplicably goes missing. I’m sure BM is a schmuck, but that doesn’t excuse him from making an immediate public plea via MSM, whether in a press conference or whatever venue they prefer to get the word out, as an innocent person does when their loved one has vanished off the face of the earth. And yes, I believe it does go against human nature of an innocent person who has nothing to hide to not make an immediate plea for their missing loved one’s life, a life that literally hangs in the balance, and getting the word out and asking for the public’s help ASAP, is the single most important thing one can do while people’s memories are still fresh and may remember seeing something or hearing something unusual etc., around the time of the event, that could be the difference between life or death for their missing beloved. Obviously this is a huge sticking point for me, and not to beat a dead horse, but IMO there’s no reasonable explanation for BM to not have made an immediate public plea for his wife’s life. The reasonable, logical conclusion why he didn’t, is because he knows what happened, where she is and didn’t want to answer any tough questions. It’s never “too soon” when you’re loved one goes missing, that is, if you are innocent and have nothing to hide. And IMO, the only reason he did that pathetic 26 second video “plea” on FB a week later is because he knew the optics looked bad for him, and he could control it and avoid being asked the tough questions, period.

IMO, there’s much more inexplicable, suspicious behaviors as well as bizarre statements BM’s made since Suzanne went missing which have been discussed at length in these threads. All tolled, they’re nonsensical and simply do not add up TO ME.

There’s a reason LE has Behavioral Analysts, and I believe behavioral evidence is extremely important and will play a very important role in this case along with the physical evidence, which I hope we learn about someday soon in an AW/AA.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:

I think the main concern was that both BM and the daughters had tried to reach SM earlier in the day and had not recieved an answer.

After BM sent the neighbor back a second time to look for the bike, the neighbor apparently said she was worried and he said he was too. I'm not sure if we ever heard an explanation as to why she made the call and he didn't. All he said was that he left Broomfield around that time. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme