Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #51

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Collecting Life Ins Payment?
One of the questions someone asked Mike and Lauren was if BM collected life insurance. They said "great question" and answered that they didn't know the answer. Wouldn't someone have to be declared dead to collect on their life insurance policy?
@Tate123 bbm
I read ^ post as asking --- what doc's does a life ins co accept as proof of death?
Answering gen'ly, not specifically to SM's case.
LI co's make payment to person(s) designated on policy application
(or later on a LI co. form designating different beneficiary/ies) after beneficiary (or atty) completes LI co's claim form & submits it to co, w proof of death.
1. Death certificate, signed by physician/medical examiner. Often w'in a few days, weeks, or mo's.
2. Court order, signed by judge. Per CO law, that may occur after 5 yrs absence (& more req's* below).

Either one of these two doc's declaring a person dead would be sufficient proof of the fact of death for LI co to pay the death benefit (imo).
But w either doc, LI co could still face uncertainty about who to pay as beneficiary, because of the Slayer Statute** which bars a person inheriting property from a person they murder or otherwise benefitting from their death, like receiving LI policy proceeds.
ETA: If SM's life was insured, and if Person X who was named as benef. and then is convicted of her murder, Person X would be barred from receiving the death benefit, and the LI co. would pay to designated contingent beneficiary/ies, or if none, to the probate court for estate. Possible problem: timing, because any
crim conviction usu'ly lags behind a benef. submitting claim for LI $$$.
Again, not saying this relates to BM.
*Per CO statute court may make determination of death an individual, after absence "for a (1) continuous period of five years, during which he or she has (2) not been heard from, and whose (3) absence is not (4) not satisfactorily explained after (4) diligent search or inquiry..." bbm
Colorado Revised Statutes Title 15. Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries § 15-10-107 | FindLaw
** Slayer rule - Wikipedia.

CO Law: Colorado Revised Statutes Title 15. Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries § 15-11-803. Effect of homicide on intestate succession, wills, trusts, joint assets, life insurance, and beneficiary designations
Colorado Revised Statutes Title 15. Probate, Trusts, and Fiduciaries § 15-11-803 | FindLaw

Last edited:
Andy Moorman confirmed, I believe on an episode of PE, that a CBI agent visited IN and met with him and advised Andy that BM vehicle EVI did not line up with his timeline, and that BM was asked to take and refused both a lie detector test and CSVA (voice stress analysis) test.

IMHO
Yes and to me that is huge that his timeline is off. Honestly I feel like the whole “job” and the hotel was all for an alibi .
Moo

Not that I think he's actually innocent of Suzanne's disappearance, but... if he were, would it make sense that at first, he'd be latching on to an animal attack the way he did?
Or blaming local LE for "messing it up" (the "crime" scene), the way he did?
It's like BM was pushing both scenarios at the same time.

jmo
I think he tried hard the first day or two to spin that tale (or tail:)) and when that cat didn’t hunt he quickly switched to the “Oh, Suzanne,” as it was now not “too soon” to peddle the abduction scenario instead. I still cringe when I see/hear that video. Worst performance ever I did see! By the time TD showed up in Maysville, BM realized LE hadn’t bought the abduction scenario either, so he just threw everything he had in his arsenal of disorganized thought at TD including LE having messed up the “scene” where no crime occurred except perhaps staging the bike in an attempt to throw LE off. I suspect he wanted TD to get that message out there. Must have been a real shock to BM when LE set their sights on his home, his truck, his phone, his job site (digging it up no less) MG, JP, CC, Broomfield and everything else to do with him.

Barry strikes me as someone with a very disorganized mind. All he has accomplished with his lies is draw more attention to himself. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor