Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All they would have to do is ask him one question on the polygraph test.

Officer: “What do you think happened to her?”

BM: “A mountain lion got her.”

Fail. Epic fail.

jmo
I think whatever happened to Suzanne , happened Saturday night . If he is responsible , he wouldn’t of slept at all that night . Ring doorbells , security cameras most likely have him leaving , returning more than once between 12:00-4:00am . I bet his phone was active as well. The thing I don’t understand is forensics with this case, if something happened to her and there was a lot of blood... that’s easily found after it’s bleached out ? So if nothing was found like that ... i would think it was a possible strangulation .

Barry loved her there is no doubt. IMO the way he comes on and insults everyone , he’s not sociopathic. A sociopath wouldn’t care ... so I bet there is some remorse there if he’s guilty. I mean that’s a lot of years left to have guilt like that .

Moo

Last edited:
Gee, sounds like Covid tests! That example you gave was just awful...I mean awful as in tragic that happened (your example was great). I know there is a small percentage of false positive polygraphs. I can see how it might result in a false positive if you are hiding something possibly related to the crime even if you didn’t do it...or if the person administering the polygraph isn’t trained or experienced in getting the proper baselines. I think some medical conditions and certain medications can also effect test results. I believe the CVSA (voice stress analysis test) is more accurate. I know we have discussed all this at length on previous threads including the percentages so I’m not trying to start a thing here. I was just agreeing that I share @Rachelj1 ‘s sentiment about BM not taking the tests and agreeing that if he did and he passed I would also be beyond shocked and stunned. I have never felt so strongly that someone is guilty and a lying psychopath. MOO

And I agree it’s always wise to listen to your attorney’s advice, after all that is why you hired one. I’m not sure if I would even hire an attorney right away if I was innocent. I would have no problem taking a polygraph or CVSA and I’d take the risk to prove to LE that I was telling them the truth. And if by chance I was one of the unlucky people who get a false positive result, well I guess I’d jump up & down proclaiming my innocence and hope & pray that the investigation and evidence or retaking the test would eventually prove that I was not lying. Oh and then if I did have an attorney, I would buy them a nice gift and beg them not to quit. :p
If you hire an attorney, unless you are very wealthy, you will not be buying them a gift;
If you are middle class they will own all your assets when the investigation is over! MOO

RBBM
One theory I’ve thought about regarding the bikes- BM told the neighbor the color that was descriptive of the spare parts bike, because that’s the one he threw down the ravine. Why was the spare parts bike chosen? Well, as $$$ is very important to BM, he chose to toss the spare parts bike because he didn’t want the expensive bike worth thousands of dollars taken away and held by LE for gosh knows how long.
He wanted to keep the more expensive bike, as it’s more valuable to him. He could turn around and sell it in a heartbeat, and make some good $$$ by doing so. I think the spare parts bike either had something wrong with it rendering it unrideable and BM was not aware of it, or BM in his arrogance thought nobody would question the spare parts bike being found at the bottom of the ravine, that everyone would just assume that’s the bike Suzanne rode cuz he says it was, but someone spoke up and said something to the effect, “hey, wait a minute, that’s not the bike Suzanne normally rides” etc....

Whatever it was, it appears red flags were raised immediately for LE, as from the jump, they haven’t handled SM missing as a random abduction, or accident, got disoriented, fell in the river etc. IOW, they didn’t buy the bike ride narrative. LE hasn’t given the slightest hint about details about “the bike” that was found, in fact, they haven’t ever confirmed they recovered “the bike”, probably to avoid being asked questions about it cuz there’s something huge to do with “the bike” they don’t want revealed until trial.
IMO, there is something about the bike that was found that’s going to prove very important to LE’s case.

I’m remembering TN’s comment, “you’ll have to ask LE about the condition of the bike”........

All of the above is speculation, IMHOO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

It just came to my mind that maybe the blue bike had been tampered with on purpose...you know, as the first attempt to create an “accident” while biking, but Suzanne noticed that something was wrong with it, and took it to a friend instead? Some people tamper with car brakes, for example, it might be easier with a bike?

Computer Voice Stress Analysis

Believe it or not, there’s an app for that:
Speech Tools
Maybe LS could get another interview with BM and try this app out! Wishful thinking I suppose!

Happy Valentine’s Day to all WSers! ❤️

That app is for individuals who do voice exercises as part of a speech therapy routine. For example, individuals with Parkinson's disease who have the goal of maintaining or improving their voice strength, pitch, & tone. IMO I don't think it would fit the purpose you are suggesting.

Haven’t checked this thread in a while but this really feels like a cold case at this point. Not cold in the sense that LE doesn’t know who perpetrated this but that there isn’t enough evidence to charge and convict. Ugh. This is disheartening.

If this is a cold case, than LE’s strategy in this case was a fail. LE has given the impression from the beginning that they got this. It’s all under control. Maybe, maybe not. I have felt that from the beginning, LE should have organized a couple of public searches and held media conferences on a monthly basis to update the public.
If this is a cold case, than in my opinion, the wrong strategy was employed and those who have enabled LE in their cone of silence should remember that transparency is never a bad thing.

If this is a cold case, than LE’s strategy in this case was a fail. LE has given the impression from the beginning that they got this. It’s all under control. Maybe, maybe not. I have felt that from the beginning, LE should have organized a couple of public searches and held media conferences on a monthly basis to update the public.
If this is a cold case, than in my opinion, the wrong strategy was employed and those who have enabled LE in their cone of silence should remember that transparency is never a bad thing.
Small towns always worry me ... you make excellent points . I think Andy needs to come back.
Moo

I don’t disagree, but at the same time, don’t you think whatever strategy that was employed came from the CBI?

I don’t disagree, but at the same time, don’t you think whatever strategy that was employed came from the CBI?

I had assumed the CCSO was lead on this, with assist from CBI, FBI, etc.
If that's the case, it likely would have been their strategy.
And with Sheriff Spezze's nearly 40 years of LE experience, that inspires some confidence for sure.

Either way, I don't think it's cold, and I don't think it's an LE fail in any way.
I think it's way too soon to assume either.

jmo

I can show you some cases . I’m not sure if it’s homocide but definitely missing people cases. Give me just a few minutes. Where LE publicy states they passed a lie detector.
I know that it can’t be used in court but I know it’s a tool that LE do depend on frequently to see which way to look.
Lie detector tests though not admissible in court, are used extensively by police internally for their hiring and their internal HR investigations.
The results of LD/stress test makes a great deal of difference to LE and the direction of their investigation.

Query:

Was BM’s initial “Oh Suzanne” video ever subjected to CVSA?

No CVSA, but an FBI Forensic Linguist Analyst, Steve Johnson, and an FBI Profiler, Greg Cooper, analysed Barry's plea, as well as his interview with Lauren, and it was something.

There's a breakdown/discussion of the content in the last thread.

RBBM Pretty heavy statement there, @Minordetails. Not exactly sure what or who you meant by that. You also said “transparency is never a bad thing”. Well, it could be in a criminal investigation. You may be confusing transparency with accountability. LE does need to be accountable but they do not need to show their hands as far as their strategies, evidence, suspects, etc.
As far as press conferences, they can be useful early on in a case, but to hold a press conference just for the sake of holding one is a waste of effort and manpower which would be better spent on the investigation itself. The CCSO has put out some press releases with updates and requests for information.
As for searches, hundreds of LE, SARS teams, dive teams, air and canine units searched the area in the first week. I think LE felt that SM was not injured or accidentally deceased in that area. More searches would have been nice, but you have hundreds and thousands of acres of wilderness surrounding Maysville. The landscape is rough and rugged and not suitable for searches by the untrained public.
Has LE fumbled this case? Maybe. I don’t know, but I don’t think so at this point. Because of months long COVID delays at labs, they probably didn’t even get their first run of test results and digital information until maybe July. Then they would have to analyze that information. We know they conducted a second search of the Morphew home on July 9th. That warrant had to be the result of new information, possibly something that came back from the first batch of lab results.
Once they got digital info back from the lab, LE had to start from there, continually broadening their investigation. For instance, if gps from BM’s truck gave them info, that had to be followed up. If data from SM’s cellphone yielded new contacts and new locations, they had to be followed up. Think of it as like a scavenger hunt. The first clue leads to the second clue. The second clue leads to the third and so on. Eventually, if you carefully follow your clues, you find the prize. Sometimes it takes a while.
MOO

RBBM Pretty heavy statement there, @Minordetails. Not exactly sure what or who you meant by that. You also said “transparency is never a bad thing”. Well, it could be in a criminal investigation. You may be confusing transparency with accountability. LE does need to be accountable but they do not need to show their hands as far as their strategies, evidence, suspects, etc.
As far as press conferences, they can be useful early on in a case, but to hold a press conference just for the sake of holding one is a waste of effort and manpower which would be better spent on the investigation itself. The CCSO has put out some press releases with updates and requests for information.
As for searches, hundreds of LE, SARS teams, dive teams, air and canine units searched the area in the first week. I think LE felt that SM was not injured or accidentally deceased in that area. More searches would have been nice, but you have hundreds and thousands of acres of wilderness surrounding Maysville. The landscape is rough and rugged and not suitable for searches by the untrained public.
Has LE fumbled this case? Maybe. I don’t know, but I don’t think so at this point. Because of months long COVID delays at labs, they probably didn’t even get their first run of test results and digital information until maybe July. Then they would have to analyze that information. We know they conducted a second search of the Morphew home on July 9th. That warrant had to be the result of new information, possibly something that came back from the first batch of lab results.
Once they got digital info back from the lab, LE had to start from there, continually broadening their investigation. For instance, if gps from BM’s truck gave them info, that had to be followed up. If data from SM’s cellphone yielded new contacts and new locations, they had to be followed up. Think of it as like a scavenger hunt. The first clue leads to the second clue. The second clue leads to the third and so on. Eventually, if you carefully follow your clues, you find the prize. Sometimes it takes a while.
MOO

We know they conducted a second search of the Morphew home on July 9th. That warrant had to be the result of new information, possibly something that came back from the first batch of lab results.
i’ve had a question about this for awhile. Do we actually know that a 2nd warrant was issued? Or could it be that they returned on the 1st search warrant? i think the LE came and went several days in the Orrin and Orson West case in California City. That case made me question whether LE actually got a 2nd warrant in Suzanne’s case. I’m hoping a 2nd was issued, bc that gives me hope that they found incriminating evidence.

2nd question also for @OldCop I get that forensics labs would be delayed due to covid, but do you think technology forensics like GPS, phones, etc were also delayed?? i was the under the impression they’d have that info asap.

TIA!

I am getting REALLY impatient thinking about BM living his life freely.

MOO
You’re absolutely right, “LE does not need to show their hands,” but there are three specific pieces of information that they could be sharing with the public that would have no negative impact on the investigation. IMO
1) a picture of the bike they found and how it looked when they found it
2) a picture of Suzanne’s personal item they recovered beside the highway
3) Suzanne’s last known phone location and ping
By not releasing these details, it implies that everything is under control.
‘Leave this to the experts, we got this. Just go away, mind your own business and we’ll let you know when we’re good and ready. But for now just forget about Suzanne.’

You’re absolutely right, “LE does not need to show their hands,” but there are three specific pieces of information that they could be sharing with the public that would have no negative impact on the investigation. IMO
1) a picture of the bike they found and how it looked when they found it
2) a picture of Suzanne’s personal item they recovered beside the highway
3) Suzanne’s last known phone location and ping
By not releasing these details, it implies that everything is under control.
‘Leave this to the experts, we got this. Just go away, mind your own business and we’ll let you know when we’re good and ready. But for now just forget about Suzanne.’
I’m not @OldCop , but I respectfully disagree with your points.

1) If it was something wrong with the bike, that would be important info for LE and they wouldn’t need to give it away. It might be easy to spot for someone who knows more about bikes, but it might not be obvious to the perp yet.

2) This is also something the perp would know, and could be used to entrap the perp while interrogated. Keeping it from the public doesn’t harm the will of the public looking for SM

3) IF it’s true that her phone pinged last at/in/near her home that can’t help the public looking for her in any way. It could just help in forming an opinion, that’s all.

I don’t think we are entitled to any of the above info.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members