Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not @OldCop , but I respectfully disagree with your points.

1) If it was something wrong with the bike, that would be important info for LE and they wouldn’t need to give it away. It might be easy to spot for someone who knows more about bikes, but it might not be obvious to the perp yet.

2) This is also something the perp would know, and could be used to entrap the perp while interrogated. Keeping it from the public doesn’t harm the will of the public looking for SM

3) IF it’s true that her phone pinged last at/in/near her home that can’t help the public looking for her in any way. It could just help in forming an opinion, that’s all.

I don’t think we are entitled to any of the above info.

IMO
You are right. We are not entitled to any of the above info. I do however, believe that there are investigative teams who would have shared some or all of the info with us. And those investigative teams may or may not be further ahead in this investigation. For example, If CM were in charge of this case, I’m guessing it would have been handled differently. Right now we have no idea if the score is tied, or if the home team is down by 50 points.

You are right. We are not entitled to any of the above info. I do however, believe that there are investigative teams who would have shared some or all of the info with us. And those investigative teams may or may not be further ahead in this investigation. For example, If CM were in charge of this case, I’m guessing it would have been handled differently. Right now we have no idea if the score is tied, or if the home team is down by 50 points.
No, we indeed don’t have an idea where LE stands with the investigation.
Just because we think someone else would have approached the case differently we don’t know if that approach would make any difference, except it could satisfy our curiosity. It might or might not harm the case at hand.

I’m curious. For those of you who like what’s happening and think LE is doing a great job handling this case, what would it take to change your mind and start asking some questions? One year of silence and no arrest? 5 years of silence of no arrest?

Last edited:
I’m curious. For those of you who like what’s happening and think LE is doing a great job handling this case, what would it take to change your mind and start asking some questions? One year of silence and no arrest? 5 years of silence of no arrest?

I'm content to leave it in the hands of the professionals that know what they're doing.
Truth be told, there's a TON of info we don't know.
For that reason alone, I'd never presume to think LE owed the public any answers to any question about an ongoing investigation.

jmo

I'm content to leave it in the hands of the professionals that know what they're doing.
Truth be told, there's a TON of info we don't know.
For that reason alone, I'd never presume to think LE owed the public any answers to any question about an ongoing investigation.

jmo
How many officers do you think will be working on the case tomorrow morning?

Well, we are asking questions, here on the thread. But I assume you meant asking questions of LE.

I will compare this case to the Abby and Libby case. Four years later, many are now asking questions of LE. I am watching an HLN show right now about it, and investigators are beginning to answer some questions that the family and public have. One big difference in that case, is that they had recovered the deceased bodies of two young teens. (Sadly).

But even now, they will absolutely not release information that could compromise the case. Yes, we are impatient and want justice for Suzanne. But as of now it’s a no-body homicide case, and I think we all know that while not impossible, it will be more difficult to prosecute than a case where the body is part of the evidence.

My grandmother used to tell me - “Slow and steady wins the race.”

All these years later, I still think she’s right.

jmo

We know they conducted a second search of the Morphew home on July 9th. That warrant had to be the result of new information, possibly something that came back from the first batch of lab results.
i’ve had a question about this for awhile. Do we actually know that a 2nd warrant was issued? Or could it be that they returned on the 1st search warrant? i think the LE came and went several days in the Orrin and Orson West case in California City. That case made me question whether LE actually got a 2nd warrant in Suzanne’s case. I’m hoping a 2nd was issued, bc that gives me hope that they found incriminating evidence.

2nd question also for @OldCop I get that forensics labs would be delayed due to covid, but do you think technology forensics like GPS, phones, etc were also delayed?? i was the under the impression they’d have that info asap.

TIA!

I am getting REALLY impatient thinking about BM living his life freely.
I’ll try to answer your questions, @StarrDetective.
The following article mentions that there was a second warrant obtained. I believe there are several other MSM reports on this.
Neighbors want answers 2 months into Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance | FOX31 Denver

This article also talks about MB the neighbor who lives next door to the Salida job site that was searched and the one who heard loud noises in the middle of the night. Interestingly she is quoted as saying she heard this noise on “Mother’s Day weekend”. It had been assumed that the noise was heard late Saturday night and one of the reasons many folks believe that SM was killed on Saturday as opposed to Friday. If the news report quotes MB correctly then I think it still leaves open the possibility that SM was killed on Friday. MG told LS that BM worked at the Salida site on Friday night. Was this when BM lied to LE about when he did a “mechanical thing” to his Bobcat?

As far as the digital forensics, it probably didn’t take quite as long. LE can usually obtain ping information pretty quickly in exigent circumstances. As far as additional records including calls, texts, gps info etc. they do have to write search warrant affidavits for the information, they have to put it before a magistrate to get the warrant approved, it has to be served, and after they get it back, it all has to be analyzed and followed up with further investigation and, in many cases, interviews. This analysis and follow up can be quite time consuming. Also, it is not just cell data. Separate warrants need to be obtained for each separate app that SM may have used.
In a cut and dried case you may have a dead body found at a certain location. The ME determines that the victim was murdered at that location at about 10:00 pm. LE has a suspect. Digital data shows the suspect’s vehicle and his phone were at that location at that time. Texts between the victim and suspect show they planned to meet at that location at that time. Bingo!
In SM’s case we have no body, we don’t know if LE has her phone, we know BM misrepresented his whereabouts at least once, and we are not even sure when she was last seen. Suddenly, it’s a lot more complicated.

Right now we have no idea if the score is tied, or if the home team is down by 50 points. This is true, but neither does the perpetrator. It’s good to keep people on their toes.

Look, there are plenty of investigative teams that would handle cases in very different ways. Experience is one of the best teachers in these cases. A good LE agency is very exact in what they release. They should always preface the release of information with 3 objectives; 1) the public needs to know this for their own safety, 2) this should help my case, 3) this should not harm my case.
When a LE agency releases information in a case, it is usually for one or two reasons: 1) a public safety issue or 2) the need for additional information.
CCSO has set up a tip line, they have asked residents to examine footage from their security cameras, they have conducted many searches.
Sheriff Spezze is not a hick in a small PD. He has had an impressive career in a large urban PD.
About Sheriff John Spezze - Chaffee County Sheriff
The CBI is an agency with a phenomenal record in several high profile cases such as Chris Watts, Gannon Stauch, and Kelsey Berreth. They know what they are doing.
I firmly believe that LE is not withholding information simply to annoy you, @Minordetails. I do believe that certain pieces of information are critical to the integrity of the investigation.
If LE has screwed up this investigation, I will be first in line to criticize their performance. A case does not go cold based on length of time between the crime and the apprehension of a perpetrator, but on the amount of time since there has been any investigative activity. I do not feel that this case has gone cold.
One final thought. Sometimes cases are never solved. This can happen despite the hardest work by the most committed investigators. Sometimes LE knows who did it but they can’t prove it in a court of law. If a case is not closed or goes cold it doesn’t necessarily mean that LE has made a mistake. It just might mean the perp got lucky.

I’m not @OldCop , but I respectfully disagree with your points.

1) If it was something wrong with the bike, that would be important info for LE and they wouldn’t need to give it away. It might be easy to spot for someone who knows more about bikes, but it might not be obvious to the perp yet.

2) This is also something the perp would know, and could be used to entrap the perp while interrogated. Keeping it from the public doesn’t harm the will of the public looking for SM

3) IF it’s true that her phone pinged last at/in/near her home that can’t help the public looking for her in any way. It could just help in forming an opinion, that’s all.

I don’t think we are entitled to any of the above info.

IMO
Couldn’t have said it better myself, @Orgona. ;)

How many officers do you think will be working on the case tomorrow morning?

There's no way I could even guess at that.
I don't work with the CCSO (or CBI, or FBI), and I'm not privy to details of the investigation.
I'm not going to question what they're doing since I have no basis to do so.
They know how to investigate the cases in their jurisdiction and I have no reason to believe they're doing a less than professional job.

jmo

We all do! Can you imagine how the daughters feel? It’s hard for everyone but especially them. Hopefully justice is around the corner! IMO

Thats a very good question... I truly can't imagine how they feel. I almost feel like I would only want an answer if my dad was innocent. I'm very much a daddy's girl and I think I would prefer no answer to knowing without a doubt that my dad is a murderer. That is a terribly conflicting question. Maybe I am in the a very very minor minority there. I also had a horrible relationship with my mother and my dad saved me from my mother, so that probably colors my thought process. I truly cannot imagine how difficult it would be if I had a wonderful relationship with both parents which I choose to assume these girls do/did.

Disclaimer: obviously i do not believe anyone should take another person's life, but if I knew that my other parent could never return alive, I might be grateful to have the remaining parent. This sounds way worse than I am intending but I can't find the right words and luckily, this is not something I will ever have to contend with as my mother has already passed and there is no question as to how she passed. I hope you guys understand what I am so poorly wording. Jmo

Part of the last update from LE 3 months ago.

“We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.”

Part of LE’s update from 5 months ago. (It wasn’t me who capitalized and bolded “ONLY“)

“As with any investigation our responsibility and priority is to determine the facts and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Our sole focus is either finding Suzanne or determining the circumstances behind her disappearance and the only way to do this is to keep the information gathered as the result of this investigation under seal....
Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”

Part of LE’s update from 5 months ago. (It wasn’t me who capitalized and bolded “ONLY“)

“As with any investigation our responsibility and priority is to determine the facts and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Our sole focus is either finding Suzanne or determining the circumstances behind her disappearance and the only way to do this is to keep the information gathered as the result of this investigation under seal....
Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”
I found the use of the bold particularly interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader