Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree totally with sticking to the facts. We know they found her bike and undisclosed personal items near the bike. The trail she frequented was near another trail known for backpackers coming through on a regular basis. The dogs picking up the scent of a dead body doesn't really mean anything. Dogs are wrong, often, its a fact no matter what anyone tells you. They are a tool, and something like that isn't sufficient evidence of a crime. The police closed both properties and treated them as crime scenes. Sounds like they did their job. They haven't mentioned a person of interest and honestly in my opinion, unless they find a smoking gun, I wouldn't waste my time looking at the husband. It would have to be a bomb shell of evidence. The fact that the FBI are involved tells us, they believe its an abduction. They have to have pretty significant evidence of an abduction to get the FBI involved. Its a fact that sexual predators patrol areas like that for victims, and the woman was very attractive, and athletic, and she was out there alone, near a backpacking trail. Its like the perfect opportunity. I'm guessing the personal items were clothing, like her shoes or a shirt, hell, maybe all her clothes. I know they searched the water and that would have been my next guess. In my opinion this guy is an experienced predator. It takes guts to attack someone in broad daylight. So I would look next at the sexual offender registry in the area. Considering the backpacking trail he might not be from the area. The man who people are speculating may have killed the two girls in Delphi Indiana lived in another state. But he dad, I listen to true crime and fight with my boyfriend all the time. If he ends up murdered, will I be convicted of it? I sure hope not. But this is all just my opinion based on the facts.
Well you won’t be convicted but you will be the first one looked at , just like I would be if my husband came up missing. They always go to those closest to you first , Rule you out and then go from there. From my understanding mr. Barry is not ruled out!!!
Moo

I agree totally with sticking to the facts. We know they found her bike and undisclosed personal items near the bike. The trail she frequented was near another trail known for backpackers coming through on a regular basis. The dogs picking up the scent of a dead body doesn't really mean anything. Dogs are wrong, often, its a fact no matter what anyone tells you. They are a tool, and something like that isn't sufficient evidence of a crime. The police closed both properties and treated them as crime scenes. Sounds like they did their job. They haven't mentioned a person of interest and honestly in my opinion, unless they find a smoking gun, I wouldn't waste my time looking at the husband. It would have to be a bomb shell of evidence. The fact that the FBI are involved tells us, they believe its an abduction. They have to have pretty significant evidence of an abduction to get the FBI involved. Its a fact that sexual predators patrol areas like that for victims, and the woman was very attractive, and athletic, and she was out there alone, near a backpacking trail. Its like the perfect opportunity. I'm guessing the personal items were clothing, like her shoes or a shirt, hell, maybe all her clothes. I know they searched the water and that would have been my next guess. In my opinion this guy is an experienced predator. It takes guts to attack someone in broad daylight. So I would look next at the sexual offender registry in the area. Considering the backpacking trail he might not be from the area. The man who people are speculating may have killed the two girls in Delphi Indiana lived in another state. But he dad, I listen to true crime and fight with my boyfriend all the time. If he ends up murdered, will I be convicted of it? I sure hope not. But this is all just my opinion based on the facts.
Well you won’t be convicted but you will be the first one looked at , just like I would be if my husband came up missing. They always go to those closest to you first , rule you out and then go from there. From my understanding mr. Barry is not ruled out!!!
Moo

Her husband is an expert tracker. The love letters he shared with the public are wonderful. I wonder what he got her for mothers day?
That is the greatest question ever because I am also just waiting for him and surprised honestly he graciously did not show his present he purchased for her on Mother’s Day??

MG has worked for BM for a while. She has also made statements about calls and texts from BM on Mother’s Day weekend. LE will be trying to verify her statements as well as his.
Allegedly BM was so ticked at MG cooperating with LE and handing over her phone that he fired her. That would seem to indicate that there was some incriminating evidence on her phone. If it had nothing to do with BM, why would he care? MOO
I agree, it must have been something on it BM wouldn’t want LE to find out. Something MG deemed less problematic, because she handed over her phone anyway.

Maybe BM wrote things to her he shouldn’t have. (About his marriage or plain old flirting or something worse)

Or BM wouldn’t wanted LE to see how last minute that work arrangement really was. Until MG only say this to LE, BM can always say she is mistaken, she misunderstood or misremembered. If it’s written in messages is no way to spin that.

It could also just be a control issue, like he commands total loyalty from his people. Although I find this the least likely.

All IMO

Last edited:
Her husband is an expert tracker. The love letters he shared with the public are wonderful. I wonder what he got her for mothers day?
Fair and poinant question, tiff. I'd guess the answer is, not a darn thing. Moo
TBH, It's not my question...it was from a youtuber...I thought it was a good question too!

The Psychology and Thrill of Trophy Hunting: Is it Criminal?
Hunting for ‘sport’ is basically another way to describe the thrill of killing.” Graham Collier, Psychology Today

Dr. Mallett also writes, "Another paper has linked personality traits of some people who hunt for sport to a different 'triad' of behaviours, known ominously as the ‘dark triad’. This includes narcissism (egotistical admiration of one’s own attributes, and a lack of compassion), Machiavellianism (being deceitful, cunning and manipulative) and psychopathy (lack of remorse or empathy, and prone to impulsive behaviour).”

Dr. Mallett ends her essay as follows: “And that [the lack of hard data] means we may never know why hunters are compelled to seek animal trophies for their walls. Indeed, we might be condemned just to watch and wonder about their motive and emotional capacity.”

I guess I cannot dispute the findings cited above. However, in my experience, plenty of outdoorsmen are able to kill, clean and manipulate the animal and prepare it for the table. Many of those same folks, myself included, are very much sickened at at the thought of hurting or cutting a human. I personally will become light-headed or pass out if I see a graphic human injury in person, but have no problem removing the entrails from say, a deer. Certainly some of the personality traits listed above exist in all populations. I guess I am just cautioning against painting all hunters with a broad brush.

I think barring a body being found, we have another 4 years minimum before an arrest is made. Andy said there was no sign of a struggle. That means LE will have to wait a while for jurors to be comfortable that Suzanne is dead.

I bet also that his timeline was way off and Barry knew that when MG handed her phone over , all the times that he was communicating with her didn’t go with what he told LE at all. So now LE has a lot of discrepancies if you top that on the bobcat he “forgot “ also. I really think that when\if he is arrested , we will find out a lot more things that LE had against him but just not enough to arrest at that time .

MOO

I have to correct you on something... just because the fbi is/was involved does not mean in any way shape or form that they think she was abducted. Significant evidence of abduction ? That is not accurate , the FBI also come into assist LE .
Moo

I have to correct you on something... just because the fbi is/was involved does not mean in any way shape or form that they think she was abducted. Significant evidence of abduction ? That is not accurate , the FBI also come into assist LE .
Moo
The FBI often assist with analysis of complex evidence that local police might not have expertise in, like electronic evidence. They also assist when there is a reasonable chance the crime occurred in multiple states, such as an abduction where the victim is transported from one state to another.

I need to add that another fact is the type and extent of the search warrants that were approved almost immediately, including digging up the foundation for a house. There was something LE had very early that prompted a judge to sign-off on that. Of course that can look a lot worse than it might actually be- perhaps the property owner gave consent and when LE went to get the warrant the judge said "the owner consents... why not".

I agree there are very few actual facts in this case.

Fair and poinant question, tiff. I'd guess the answer is, not a darn thing. Moo

Yeah he doesn't sound considerate, but that doesn't make him guilty of murder. I made it sound like I wouldn't look at the husband at all but that isn't what I meant. Yes, look at him first, but the worst thing you can do in a case like this is get tunnel vision because you think someone is guilty. I would rule him out, and if I couldn't, keep him in mind, but I am leaning toward the sexual predator theory. There are mines near there, I guess, so there are lots of places to drop a body where it wouldn't be found. If I were going to murder someone, doing it like this is risky. There are way too many components to it and too much can go wrong. Someone could see you in a place where you shouldn't be. You could fall off of a bridge and break your hip trying to stage the disappearance, (this actually happened to a woman who killed her husband.) Maybe he did it, but just consider: Texas has the highest rate of serial killings behind California, and it's close to Colorado. There are at least twenty nine women between the ages of 20 and 50 that are either missing or victims of homicide in Colorado, I'm talking open unsolved cases, since 2017. Unless the police come up with some crazy evidence against the husband, I'm leaning toward sexual predator.

Actually, the FBI's involvement by day 3-4 (IIRC) might have been because they were concerned with an abduction. Doesn't mean that they didn't rule it out. It was honestly my first thought. An abduction does not have to be by a random person strolling or driving around the area. It could have been someone known to her, invited into the home even. We have no idea what evidence LE has or the different directions they have gone in this investigation. IMO

Actually, the FBI's involvement by day 3-4 (IIRC) might have been because they were concerned with an abduction. Doesn't mean that they didn't rule it out. It was honestly my first thought. An abduction does not have to be by a random person strolling or driving around the area. It could have been someone known to her, invited into the home even. We have no idea what evidence LE has or the different directions they have gone in this investigation. IMO
No you are right , I was just clarifying it wouldn’t be the only reason. Personally I don’t think she was ever on a bike , near a trail at all. I don’t think she was alive on Mother’s Day.
Moo

Yeah he doesn't sound considerate, but that doesn't make him guilty of murder. I made it sound like I wouldn't look at the husband at all but that isn't what I meant. Yes, look at him first, but the worst thing you can do in a case like this is get tunnel vision because you think someone is guilty. I would rule him out, and if I couldn't, keep him in mind, but I am leaning toward the sexual predator theory. There are mines near there, I guess, so there are lots of places to drop a body where it wouldn't be found. If I were going to murder someone, doing it like this is risky. There are way too many components to it and too much can go wrong. Someone could see you in a place where you shouldn't be. You could fall off of a bridge and break your hip trying to stage the disappearance, (this actually happened to a woman who killed her husband.) Maybe he did it, but just consider: Texas has the highest rate of serial killings behind California, and it's close to Colorado. There are at least twenty nine women between the ages of 20 and 50 that are either missing or victims of homicide in Colorado, I'm talking open unsolved cases, since 2017. Unless the police come up with some crazy evidence against the husband, I'm leaning toward sexual predator.

For a while I was very on the fence about BM's potential involvement, I really didnt want to think that he did do this to his wife - I am amazed at my own ignorance and naivety sometimes. Although we can never know what a crime like this feels like, unless experienced, I would like to think that anyone who genuinely loved their other half and was truly innocent, would be searching EVERY MINUTE of EVERY DAY since their disappearance, that they would be getting on board with ANY press coverage and trying their hardest to keep their loved one in the spotlight. What I didnt expect was ONE contrived 26 second video and no other plea from him, discrepancies in story, passive/aggressive behaviour towards family members and attacks on other people's characters, radio silence and sale of a house in less than 12 months. That says so much more than what LE are saying, and they're saying an awful lot by not clearing him.

jmo

No snark intended btw, just getting really sick and tired of seeing the things that people do to one another simply because they can :( surely the human race is better than this?

Welcome to Websleuths.

The fact that the FBI are involved tells us, they believe its an abduction.”
- The FBI can be involved because it is a homicide investigation.

The man who people are speculating may have killed the two girls in Delphi Indiana lived in another state.”
- I have been following the Libby and Abby case for four years and have not heard this. Where is your information from?

But he dad, I listen to true crime and fight with my boyfriend all the time. If he ends up murdered, will I be convicted of it? I sure hope not.”
- If he ends up murdered because you murdered him, then yes, you should be convicted.

Moo
For everyone’s information:
Rocky Mountain RCFL | Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory
This is the regional FBI lab that would work with Chaffee County and CBI for digital forensics analysis. If you read the front page, they are still experiencing long delays due to COVID.

I think barring a body being found, we have another 4 years minimum before an arrest is made. Andy said there was no sign of a struggle. That means LE will have to wait a while for jurors to be comfortable that Suzanne is dead.
Is there anyone out there who has familiarized themselves with this case, that believes SM may still be alive? I’m ‘comfortable’ that SM is dead. Why would a jury be different than anyone else on this forum. Unless LE knows something that we don’t, she’s gone, gone, gone. If there is something out there to suggest that she isn’t dead, well that just opens a whole can of worms.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member