Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are very different personalities. Leticia Stauch manifestly has a severe personality disorder. You are wrong in your statement to say that we will never know what they are thinking. It's taken me 25 years medical training and as a principal research scientist in this field (having studied at Harvard and Cambridge) to gain this amount of expertise. To give you an example of the work I've done with a broad spectrum of clients and patients - from top security hospitals housing people who have committed the most heinous of crimes, through to first time offenders of serious crimes: in approximately 300 cases, my clinical assessment on first and second meeting has been correct 97% of the time, and not infrequently when police personnel have a very different view. One of the patients took his own life before assessment could be completed.
I have seen, diagnosed and treated quite literally thousands of patients. L Stauch has a highly disordered, manipulative personality. We used the first interview she gave with her back to the camera as a confidential medical teaching masterclass, exploring with postdoc medics doing psychiatry training, the extremes of personality traits.
In your opinion is much weight placed on the fact he took so long to publicly appear/plea for her return? Definitely a novice here, but I thought his eyes were just too steady. Scrunched up in "pain" satisfactorily, but completely steady as though in an acting class. Or maybe you already noted that, lol. I was thinking if I were in that situation I would cycle through bafflement to pain, but he showed no bafflement. IMO

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.

Look what the cat dragged in...;) Welcome to Websleuths long time lurker, first time poster!...:D

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.
Great first post, lol! :p I agree 100%. And, AMEN! MOO

This could take a while.

Welcome back, LurkerGuy :)

I'll just sit here all evening and hit like, then unlike, then like, then... well, you get the idea :)

We'd be honored to have you consider becoming a verified professional here.

Your wealth of knowledge on these cases we follow is invaluable.

Here's the link: Verified Professional and Insider Members
That's very kind of you. I will think about it. I've just recovered from a very serious bout of COVID-19 - ill for 10 weeks in total, including pneumonia. I know I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still thoroughly wiped out (and can't yet climb one flight of stairs without having to sit down to get my breath back). Ihave COVID antibodies whizzing around my body, which is great, and I'm packing to go look after a close relative who is dying and doesn't want palliative care from the local hospice. My life priorities have turned upside down and I don't ever like committing to something I can't carry through. It suits me to be an occasional lay-person right now.
Love and respect to all those who are suffering from COVID-19, and for their loved ones too. Sorry to go off-piste!

Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:

Video posted by BM, imploring whoever has Suzanne to let her go/that a substantial reward is available.
Re the video content - I am not prepared to discuss, in detail, the specifics I cite about the content. I don't want to dissect the various elements I refer to, for obvious professional reasons.
In the course of my clinical work, I have analyzed multiple appeals given by relatives/friends in the case of missing persons and suspected murder cases. Sometimes I've done this as a forensic psychiatrist. Earlier in my psychiatric medical career, I did so as a clinical psychologist. In situations where I have detained patients under mental health acts (for their own or others' protection), I have sometimes been privy to police interviews with those patients.

So, appeals made by individuals are commonly some of the richest sources of evidential material. They are always analyzed by experts, as part of LE inquiries. The interviewee/s are never told this, for obvious reasons.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviours, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.
The evidential material unwittingly provided by BM would give absolute justification for LE conducting immediate, extensive analyses on the home, very possibly for the purpose of reconstructing a crime scene. It doesn't render him guilty. It does, however, provide an abundance of clues.

The video content gave the police a valid reason to examine the home address. They would have been remiss had they not done so. For those of you saying it took the police over a week to go over the house, they would have needed justification for a search warrant. BM's video provided that in bucketfuls.

This case will probably turn out to be a murder. It is highly unlikely that Suzanne ran away. Look at the photos with her girls. They are close and love one another. She would not leave them without a word. The police will know when they were last in touch with her.

The police have BM's car and phone. They will already know when and where he travelled. They are asking for home camera etc footage from the 8th onwards because they desperately need physical evidence to show certain people on film who can be identified. This is most likely to corroborate existing evidence to make it more watertight.
Obviously this is my personal opinion but draws on my medical background also.
With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticise it.
It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing. He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.
LE responded with lightning speed.

Look at the facts. LE brought in CSI and FBI straight away. They assigned over 90 officers to the case. That points to a leader who is keen to marshall all the expertise he can, as quickly as possible. The police personnel, in my opinion, are behaving both expertly and robustly, which I find impressive.
If I can find the interview link between news channel and owner of the house, I'll do so before tomorrow morning (on call presently)
Amen (So be it)!!

The types of behaviors I observed:

- words not matching body movements
- head shaking as if saying "no"
- single blinking vs double blinking on specific phrases
- intonation of voice changing
- phrasing, specific words, distancing
- insistence on a specific crime (kidnapping)
- changing who he was talking to (first to wife, then to anyone who had her)
- "no questions asked"
- specific and very limited requirement for the reward
- brevity of plea when there was no limit imposed (27 seconds)

IMO the most interesting aspect of BM's Facebook plea is that he did it in the first place. I've never seen another missing person's case where someone close to the victim produced and released his own video. Have you?

That would be an attractive, possibly irresistible, option for someone with a controlling nature. Chose your set, clothing, and script. Also telling, IMO, is how brief the clip is. Perhaps a wise choice to call "cut" before the dry and unconvincing crying begins?

How many takes before the Director's Cut was released?
I’m with you, I’ve never seen anything like it. I think it was done to silence the critics, while remaining in control of the situation (no questions from reporters).

My sense is that it backfired, but perhaps that was safer than subjecting himself to a situation where he didn’t have control.

Just weird.

Thanks! I admire the quickness with which you did that. The item was only identified as a fragment, that LE believed was a piece of a human tooth but couldn't prove, and it was destroyed in lab testing; BUT it was identified as a fragment. Your post is correct. JMO

Maybe they found it but aren't saying. What could they be looking for with a fingertip sifting search like that? A phone? A sim card? Something else?

I would think it would have to be something with DNA....part of a body. It seems there could be explanations for a phone or sim card, whether valid or not. JMO

Thanks! I admire the quickness with which you did that. The item was only identified as a fragment, that LE believed was a piece of a human tooth but couldn't prove, and it was destroyed in lab testing; BUT it was identified as a fragment. Your post is correct. JMO
Not only did they prove that it was a human tooth, but they proved it was a female human tooth.

They just couldn’t scientifically prove who it belonged too. Common sense did the rest.

This could take a while.

Hey look, another Tom Brady fan, LOL.

I tend to agree with your assessment. JMO

Why? Does this Sheriff's office have a history of failing in their job and ignoring leads? What evidence has been ignored?
bbm
Good points.
I'll answer your post even though it's not directed towards my comments. :D

If this isn't in msm; (CO LE's "history of failing") then no, it didn't happen !
Suggestions are not fact.
And no evidence has been ignored in Suzanne's case; if anything, the opposite !

And large section of house foundation was destroyed in an attempt to recover evidence of which we know not what.
Possible HRD dog hit ?
A tip that was credible enough ?
A lot has been happening and just because we, the public, do not know what if anything has been discovered or found --- doesn't mean LE are grasping at empty straws.
Imo.

IMO the most interesting aspect of BM's Facebook plea is that he did it in the first place. I've never seen another missing person's case where someone close to the victim produced and released his own video. Have you?

That would be an attractive, possibly irresistible, option for someone with a controlling nature. Chose your set, clothing, and script. Also telling, IMO, is how brief the clip is. Perhaps a wise choice to call "cut" before the dry and unconvincing crying begins?

How many takes before the Director's Cut was released?
It's also a great way to avoid questions by the media and LE. Jmo

Why? Does this Sheriff's office have a history of failing in their job and ignoring leads? What evidence has been ignored?
In my opinion, the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office has a historical reputation for being persistent and methodical investigators, who never give up. The current investigative method of calling in the cavalry on day one is happening all over the state of Colorado, and is a relatively new phenomenon. JMO

The bike, or lack thereof, is a puzzler. Let’s suppose a bike was found. And let’s suppose it might appear “crashed”. What if, upon further investigation, the bike did not sustain the damage in a crash? Perhaps it was staged to look like Suzanne had crashed her bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member