Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a close family member who lives in a similar part of the country and engages in outdoor sports, often beyond phone reception. It’s normal for me to text and wait hours for a response. But...there are people locally who would either be accompanying her, or know exactly where she was going, when she left, and when she expected to return. I find it odd that SM would ride into the mountain trails without someone knowing her expected return time.

Having lived in a mountainous hiking/biking area, it's normal to immediately report someone missing if they don't come home from a hike or ride in a timely manner, because the high probability is they've had an accident in a remote area where they can't get help and by the time someone happens along it could be too late. This is very different than an urban situation.

Reading something up thread questioning why there was the urgency to call 911 after just a few hours of not being reached by her daughters... If something happened to her on the 9th, and a certain perp had her phone, he could have texted the daughters to set up what her plans were for the next day, with possibly a planned bike ride and then phone call or FT chat with daughters at a specific time after bike ride. One article stated that the daughters’ friend’s stepmom said the daughters told the neighbor they “never heard from Mom”, like maybe there was a plan in place for communicating with her that day at a particular time. Or maybe “mom” texted to the daughters jokingly, to call 911 if they don’t hear from her after her bike ride. I could see something along these lines: “Mom‘s phone: I’m going for a 20-miler tomorrow, see if I can do it in 2 hrs. Daughters: Okay Mom, be careful!! Mom’s phone: Well call 911 if I’m not back by (insert time)...LOL! Daughters: Haha, not funny! Talk to you at (insert time) tomorrow for Mother’s Day? Mom’s phone: Wouldn’t miss it!!” Then no communication from mom on Mother’s Day—I’d be calling the neighbor pretty quickly.

It would also be the perfect way for the perp to set up a narrative for why/when she went missing.

All totally MOO, and please note again I made up the above as a possible scenario. But any kind of similar text conversation could have taken place, that set the daughters up for thinking there was a problem when they didn’t hear from Mom by a certain time.

I would really like to know whether or not any cadaver dogs hit on the car or in the home... Could be a huge reason that the case is going the way it is, but I doubt we will know for awhile yet..

Voluntarily Missing: unless cancer treatment caused a severe personality change, I don’t see this as an option. I don’t think LE does either.
Accident: if this was true, wouldn’t she be found by now? I saw a video of women driving through that area and by the house, it doesn’t look dangerous. With all those searchers - no sign of her? No blood, and LE doesn’t seem to be inclined to believe it was an accident by their actions.
Kidnapping: Kidnappers would have surely contacted someone by now. LE not following that possibility, but Abduction does seem possible, with Murder following since no contact for ransom. After watching video by women driving in the area and by the house, it doesn’t seem plausible, but it is possible of course IF she was spotted by someone and she had a stalker and IF she followed the same routine and bike route every day. TBH I think I just hate to think of a stranger abducting her and doing God knows what to her ... which is why I am personally focused on someone who knew her. My mind prefers that explanation, as horrific as that sounds, it’s preferable to my psyche. JMO.
And if this is a crime of opportunity, it likely happened in broad daylight on a regular biking path that SM would have taken - and considering a body hasn't been found, would have involved taking her to a vehicle of some kind and taking her out of the area, as I believe it would be very unlikely this was both a crime of opportunity and a staging scenario by a random perp. I think Dave has pointed out a couple of places along possible bike routes where an ambush could have occurred - but that seems very risky for someone to pull this off in broad daylight on a weekend. I realize it's a fairly remote area and not necessarily heavily traveled, but this isn't a child abduction (where one could possibly control or manipulate the person being taken) which means they are likely to fight back, scream, etc. in an abduction scenario. It's possible, but I discount the likelihood a random crime of opportunity due to the inherent risk involved. Someone else also pointed out that the CCSO hasn't mentioned the bike since the early days of the investigation (though the MSM continues the "disappeared after a bike ride" narrative), which may indicate the CCSO doesn't hold this as a working theory (though they play everything so close, that could be a false assumption) JMO.

I agree that accident and voluntary disappearance, given what we know, seem to be remote possibilities at this point in time. Kidnapping for ransom, simply by the statistics alone (so very few adults are ever kidnapped in the US) seems incredibly unlikely, too.

I'm in the camp that it's more likely that the perp had some kind of prior connection to SM - whether related to her, working in the home, business associate, acquaintance, etc. If the bike wasn't staged, I believe someone ambushing her in broad daylight might be more likely to consider it if they had time to plan the time, place, getaway, etc. But I tend to think it is more likely that the bike was staged, which opens up the timeline for where/when she disappeared, and staging absolutely points to someone wanting to deflect attention away from the actual crime scene. All JMO, MOO.

The suspicions of L.E. are shown by their actions. I work in a auto plant. Several guys cut grass or plow snow to supplement income. These are go getters who want more or have dreams or needs and all share a "driven" personality . Then there is the rest of us. So even though landscaping is the bottom of the totem pole as far as skilled trades, somebody driven could turn it into a 10 truck business. Just saying. Or if connected there are close knit contractors who do big projects one could give kickbacks to and become rich in the process. I work in the auto plant because I would not play the game to grow and it ain't pretty when bid work and the "players" are involved. Service or residential requires 10 trucks netting owner maybe 25k each but after insurance etc the 250k gross profit evaporates. So I am leary of any "bigtime" contractor-having been there and not done that. Example- A top 50 (USA) Mechanical Contractor addressing a group of union contractors -"When my grandfather built this town it was on a handshake. Now they want 3 bids. Don't trust me? I am beyond insulted. So Since everybody starts out calling me a crook and wants 3 bids whats my response? Go sulk? Waste time and manpower estimating every project across my desk? Been there tried that. I finally gave them what they asked for. The prints came in for say a Big 3 job. I look for the 1 "specialty" item device. I call the only supplier or 2 for that said device . "Hey Joe, bids due tomorrow on that x job-who called u for a price on that 15,000 gallon tank? Oh A,B, and C company? Thanks" I call A,B,C,owners-"meet me at the club 5pm for drinks" What u gonna bid on that job tomorrow? replys A = 6.7 mil, B-8.1 mil, C =5.9 mil......"I was gonna bid 7.5 mil- Joe bid 14 mil , Harry 15 mil, Sam 17 mil-I'll go low at 12.5 mil and send u each 1 mil same way. So my point is who is B.M and is he a guy like that or does L.E. even know about the character of the "players"- now they do IMO

Maybe they had a regular time they checked in with each day with her, and she missed that so by the evening they were worried.
Or maybe they couldn't reach her on the 9th and so were really worried by the evening of the 10th.
DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters MM and MM who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho.

Friends said they asked neighbor JR, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn’t get hold of her and it was R who later called the police to report her missing.

R declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com.

SS, 43, the stepmother of 17-year-old M’s best friend, said: ‘The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?''

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.’
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

I have a close family member who lives in a similar part of the country and engages in outdoor sports, often beyond phone reception. It’s normal for me to text and wait hours for a response. But...there are people locally who would either be accompanying her, or know exactly where she was going, when she left, and when she expected to return. I find it odd that SM would ride into the mountain trails without someone knowing her expected return time.
Agree.
MOO exactly.
No one responsible goes out into the rough terrain without saying to someone where they are going and when they will be back.

I'm very outdoorsy and often go for solo hikes. I'm cautious and in the habit of always telling someone exactly where I'm going and when I expect to be back, but I admit I have occasionally failed to do so when I've been somewhere close to home that I'm super familiar with. I could see Suzanne doing the same, especially if she had a routine ride she took.

A personal object 2000 ft from the home and a bicycle further out on a trail....

So if she were intercepted and grabbed on the trail, that would suggest the perp brought her back toward her home for her to drop a personal item. Or the perp moved back toward her home. That would seem unlikely for a stranger abduction.

Confrontational, direct, protective...all possible ways to describe his image before his wife disappeared. None of that seems to be evident in his behavior since she’s disappeared, including Mother’s Day itself, with their daughter calling the neighbor for help.

You could be right, or you could be wrong. I'm not anywhere near making that call yet. I'm a little bit beyond 2000 feet away from being comfortable that this case is a wrap......more like miles and miles and miles away. IMO

I tend to think it is more likely that the bike was staged, which opens up the timeline for where/when she disappeared, and staging absolutely points to someone wanting to deflect attention away from the actual crime scene. All JMO, MOO.
RSBM

Yes, IMO this is the essence of detective work. It's very challenging to 'stage" something so that it convinces police. They've encountered so many real life situations, they can spot a fake one.

I expect that at this point they're looking at video evidence. From past cases, it seems they don't randomly fast forward through everyone's door cams, they try to pinpoint key cameras that the victim or perp had to pass by, and go through it very carefully, in real time. Unfortunately, things often happen after dark.

DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters MM and MM who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho.

Friends said they asked neighbor JR, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn’t get hold of her and it was R who later called the police to report her missing.

R declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com.

SS, 43, the stepmother of 17-year-old M’s best friend, said: ‘The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?''

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.’
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
The above article - Made me wonder how it came to be that both daughters were away (and if they were actually together on this camping trip)? And then BM gone too. Had these arrangements been made in advance and if so at whose urgence?These answers could suggest premeditation.

Last edited:
A personal object 2000 ft from the home and a bicycle further out on a trail....

So if she were intercepted and grabbed on the trail, that would suggest the perp brought her back toward her home for her to drop a personal item. Or the perp moved back toward her home. That would seem unlikely for a stranger abduction.

Confrontational, direct, protective...all possible ways to describe his image before his wife disappeared. None of that seems to be evident in his behavior since she’s disappeared, including Mother’s Day itself, with their daughter calling the neighbor for help.

If she was abducted at the Fooses Dam Bridge, the perp would have to travel almost all the way back to her house to escape by road. If she was at all capable of doing anything, it would be ingenious to drop or toss something that was clearly hers..............jewelry, a watch, a special brand of lip balm that she prefers..............anything that she had which would indicate the direction she was taken.
Yes...........before your keys hit the keyboard, it stands to reason that a perp could stage all of the evidence, no matter where it is found. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor