Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your comment makes a lot of sense, but here is my family situation which could possibly be duplicated in other families. I have told my family not to say one single word to the media should something happen to me. (Ex husband ... long story). The reason being that the media misquotes and twists/sensationalizes what has been said for headlines and profit.

It's also very stressful/horrifying to be attacked online when only trying to help/speak out, as if grief and worry were not enough to cope with at such a horrendous time. We see that again and again. For these reasons I asked my family to state "No comment" and stick with no comment. Lock the door and don't go on camera or do interviews. "Just let the cops do their job, and don't ever let anyone tell you I committed suicide because I did not, and would never".
I don’t trust LE that much, not in my neck of the woods anyway. The only cases they ever solve are the ones they personally witnessed or the person confesses. I’m not exaggerating. Whether media tells the truth or not, they help draw attention to a case and that attention has inadvertently helped to solve many that were cold.

After following this case through 8 different threads without having an account, I finally joined in.

I'm in an interesting position, as I have personally met and interacted with SM, MM, and MM a few times (but never BM), but would not go so far as to consider myself a family friend or in any way close to them - just brief acquaintances over a few years, only connected through social media now. While I have nothing new or interesting to add, thanks everyone for staying so committed and searching for the truth. It's been a great place to keep up with things as they happen as we all grow more desperate for answers.

Coincidentally, I also personally knew one of the victims of the Delphi Murders - I wish I had known about this site back then.

You all rock.
Hello from England. It must feel very shocking to you, that this has happened. We havent really learned much about Suzanne herself but everything we have heard suggests she is a lovely person.

Neither the missing or the kidnapped lists, either. I checked a few days ago.
Then again, according to the CCSO daily updates, they list the FBI's involvement in this case as the ERT (Evidence Response Team).
I'm pretty sure there aren't any agents investigating her disappearance, they're just there to collect evidence the way they're trained to do it.
What possible reasons might LE/anyone have not to include her on these lists?
Typically are these lists updated at the beginning of all investigations or used more often when active investigations go cold?
TIA

Perhaps he was expecting her to die of natural causes, and when she didn't oblige, he helped the process along. Moo
He wouldn’t be the first one disappointed that cancer wasn’t working fast enough ...nor the first to lose their patience and speed up the process ...
Wendy Adriano of Arizona lost her patience.

Yes the rumors were they were NOT working that week but those were rumors ... interesting though because I heard it early in the beginning of all of this ... I’d love to know if it’s true or not. I’ve had security for years and never had a single issue with it working.
Here’s the thing - no arrest no car description or Lookout for this person who looks like ... no video stills released - not one single thing and based on this Lack of release of information that may possibly lead us to the kidnapper or even what she was wearing when she was last seen - my speculation is those cameras (if they had them) were not recording from May 8 on - else we would have had something to say As in “look out for xyz “ etc
JMO

This may have been mentioned, but I've wondered for a while if the personal item found was her helmet.
I don't know how long they lasted or what type of treatment(s) she had for the 2 bouts with cancer that she had bravely fought and won. Just an observation on prolonged illness, it's isolating by nature, and it tests the best of human friendships and family relationships. Sometimes, after a time, well-meaning friends and family just aren't there, for whatever reason. It doesn't make them bad people, and it doesn't mean she didn't deserve the utmost support from all who knew her. Sometimes life just doesn't work that way. It might be the case here. By all accounts, she's an absolutely lovely woman.

Gannon...
We also have that totally new covid to factor in...you bring up some excellent points...I have not been in SM’s situation, but I can periodically hermitize...I could see where someone going thru 2 cancer treatment series might take it to a higher level...

We don’t have much info from family, friends back in Indiana, new friends in CO, SM may have just been a solitary and independent personality. Cancer and covid may not have been a big deal for her.JMO

An animal is not going to clean up physical evidence. A family that knows they are innocent will not remain silent - they will be out searching every day and screaming from the roof tops. How many cases have we seen where family and friends are organizing daily searches, having pressers, etc.?

What are the other options?
1) She did a runner. Seems LE would know that and not be tearing up concrete weeks after the fact.
2) She was abducted. Considering that Amber Alerts are the Gold Standard for child abductions, I would think the same would apply to adults and they'd be bombarding us with "be on the lookout for this woman" messages.

Have we ever seen anything this? Closest I can think of is the Michelle Parker case and that family was constantly searching and doing interviews.

BBM:

We have seen something similar…at least, I see definite parallels with another case.

The Barbara Thomas disappearance.
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

RT (husband) gave an initial interview to reporters, insisted that someone must have abducted her and asked that whoever took her, release her. "No questions asked."
Direct quote.

Sound familiar?

JMO.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’ve been thinking all day, just how often do women in their 50’s get abducted? murdered? I know there have been “abduction” scenarios suggested but is it even realistic statistic-wise to consider that a 50 year old would get abducted? SM was an exceptionally beautiful woman but what’s the likelihood that a predator took a 50 year old? Isn’t it more likely than a 50 year gets murdered by someone they know? Just wondering what y’all think?
I had some of the same questions. When I tried to research actual kidnapping cases, they are almost exclusively children and/or young women (as in 21 and younger). Aside from a really strange case in CA (initials SP), there's very little that I could find of a bona fide adult being kidnapped in the US. But I had a harder time finding information re: abductions/missing persons. Maybe someone smarter than me can shed some light. MOO.

When SM went bike riding did she usually go alone?
If she did, a stalker could have taken her. It's very lonely out there imo and anything could happen and nobody would know, hear or see.
Honestly, those kinds of places scare me. I would feel too vulnerable out there by myself.
Did you watch that video by the two women who drove the roads/trails and even went by the house? There was a lot of traffic and a lot of people. It isn’t what I expected at all. April Isaacs MS RPT

I'm way behind, still, but I've been here since the beginning. I haven't posted on Suzanne's case until now. I think I've just been watching to see how it plays out. I can say I've never followed a case quite like this one. I've been reading WS since 2009 and joined in 2014, so I've followed a lot of cases. From the beginning this one has been different and all the reasons why have been mentioned numerous times. No description of her at all. The large reward offered, I think, the second day. Every other case, the amount started out small, $10,000 or so, more or less, and then worked up. The video from BM was just plain weird. Not accusing him, but feeling like he has the answer. I may be totally off. I keep hoping for a good update. It's hard to wait, but we do that a lot here. That part isn't new. I'm hoping for something, anything soon. And with that @cody22 's favorite word, Moo.

It's good to see you posting again @MassGuy. You were missed.

BBM:

We have seen something similar…at least, I see definite parallels with another case.

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Her husband purportedly rode in their RV with her into the Mojave desert, and only he came out. He stated they separated during the walk back to their camper during a short hike.

RT gave an initial interview to reporters, insisted that someone must have abducted her and asked that whoever took her, release her. "No questions asked."
Direct quote.

Sound familiar?

There have been no subsequent appeals from RT.
It does not appear he has assisted in organizing any searches.
Nor does it appear he has done any searching himself for the professed "love of his life."

BT is still missing, by the way, and nobody has been charged in her disappearance.

Identical cases? No.
But I do see similarities.

JMO.

I totally agree, @GordianKnot! Have definitely been thinking a lot of Barbara, and her poor sweet nephew who joined us, based on the echoes of that case we see in this one.

"No questions asked." It's almost a projection or a wish (as in, they say that because they don't want to answer questions), more than a promise (after all, it is not a promise either of them had the power to keep).

She looks very youthful, so may have been mistaken for a lady much younger than 49 in the heat of the moment, or from a distance.

MOO. JMO.
Nearly everyone looks youthful on FakeBook :p She commented to BM in his Feb 2020 Instagram post that she wished she looked that “young.” Women are often hard on themselves... I can certainly see her being mistaken for someone younger but I’ve just never heard of a stranger/predator abducting an older woman.

An animal is not going to clean up physical evidence. A family that knows they are innocent will not remain silent - they will be out searching every day and screaming from the roof tops. How many cases have we seen where family and friends are organizing daily searches, having pressers, etc.?

1) She did a runner. Seems LE would know that and not be tearing up concrete weeks after the fact.
2) She was abducted. Considering that Amber Alerts are the Gold Standard for child abductions, I would think the same would apply to adults and they'd be bombarding us with "be on the lookout for this woman" messages.

Have we ever seen anything this? Closest I can think of is the Michelle Parker case and that family was constantly searching and doing interviews.

The disapperance of Amy Harding-Permann in Great Falls, MT has a few similarities. She "ran off angrily towards the river" just before dark, the boyfriend told LE. LE executed a search warrant on the boyfriend's house, and literally said nothing of value to the public on the case for weeks. Amy's family and friends were quiet, and they were not organizing searches. The boyfriend never addressed the media, and he was hung out to dry by LE in my opinion, as what the public knew of the case pointed directly at the boyfriend- more so than in this case IMO.

Turns out it was a drunken accident on an icy river, and LE had a lot of information early on pointing in this direction. Anyway, it was a strange case, certainly not the same as with Suzanne, but with a few similarities.

Found Deceased - MT - Amy Harding-Permann, 34, Great Falls, 26 Jan 2020

Last edited:
I don't think so, at least not in most cases. Whatever it's conceptual cracks and frailties, sociopathy is such a specific diagnosis, with a fairly high diagnostic bar, and there are far too many crimes where terrible things are done to victims who don't in any way deserve it, committed by people who don't seem to fit most, let alone all of those or other commonly-applied criteria. The Delphi Murders, maybe. A spousal killing, committed for profit? Probably not, in my limited and non-clinical understanding.

This case may turn out to be the work of a random, opportunistic sociopath. But the likely investigative direction seems to point towards someone known to her, either as the result of an altercation or a calculation that her passing would be expedient, either financially or otherwise. I don't of course see the world that way, but our jails and prisons hold plenty of people who did. Maybe they're all sociopaths, but I remember a case I saw in court as a kid of 14 or so (my dad was a litigator and judge) where the murderer said (paraphrasing) "I did not enjoy what I did and I wish I hadn't done it, but X was in my way and I knew I would resent and hate X for the rest of my life unless I was free of X, permanently. So I took the chance."

Was he a sociopath? Maybe, though nothing in his history to that point seemed to indicate it, and the prosecution went through it with a fine-toothed comb. He was found guilty,
As a long-time resident of Colorado Springs, I put a lot of stock into what Joe Kenda says about sociopaths. He solved 356 out of 387 cases as an investigator in the violent crimes unit here ( one of the highest rates in the country). He says sociopaths are very rare and he has only run across maybe one in all his years. He also says that if you do run across a sociopath, put them in a cage because they DO enjoy killing. JMO

I don't think they don't know where SM is, either deceased or alive.

I can think of only two reasons for radio silence.

1) LE knows exactly what happened and are patiently waiting for forensic results to be processed. Maybe keeping a close eye on the perp waiting for him/her to make a mistake or accidentally lead them to a crime scene and remains.

2) LE thinks she might be alive and releasing information would further endanger her.

I'm sure there is a strategic reason for the silence, though frustratingly, we don't know what is.

Last edited:

RT (husband) gave an initial interview to reporters, insisted that someone must have abducted her and asked that whoever took her, release her. "No questions asked."
Direct quote.

Sound familiar?

JMO.[/QUOTE]

I just watched his video plea and their verbiage is almost identical. However, BM didn’t shed a tear nor did he give any details. Strange, I sure hope we aren’t having this conversation next July about SM!

After following this case through 8 different threads without having an account, I finally joined in.

I'm in an interesting position, as I have personally met and interacted with SM, MM, and MM a few times (but never BM), but would not go so far as to consider myself a family friend or in any way close to them - just brief acquaintances over a few years, only connected through social media now. While I have nothing new or interesting to add, thanks everyone for staying so committed and searching for the truth. It's been a great place to keep up with things as they happen as we all grow more desperate for answers.

Coincidentally, I also personally knew one of the victims of the Delphi Murders - I wish I had known about this site back then.

You all rock.
Welcome to Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members