Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From this article, it sounds like the Chief is getting information from other firefighters who are in communication with BM. ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

Unless I hear new information, my opinion is that the entire narrative is coming from BM.
On May 19 the spokeswoman for CBI won’t confirm the bike has been found.
On May 19, Susan Medina, spokeswoman with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, told Denver7 that they could not confirm that the Morphew’s house was being searched, but said it is being held as part of the active investigation. The search warrant has been sealed by the court. Medina also said that despite online rumors, authorities are not confirming if Morphew's bicycle has been found or not.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family

Checking in and trying to catch up!

Sadly, still no Suzanne :(

However, I am thrilled to see Tom, I mean, @MassGuy is back!!

I find it interesting how quick LE insisted that the homeowners had NO involvement in SM’s disappearance, but have made no mention of clearing BM. To me, that says a lot.

Also, I wonder if SM’s phone was one of the items found during the search. That could definitely be used as part of staging the scene, IMO. As if she must have dropped her phone during a “struggle”.

I thought about suicide for a bit, but decided that if she wanted that, then why fight cancer? Of course, I have no clue how she may have felt, but I don’t see LE leaning this way.

I’m sure LE is following any and all leads and the evidence points close to home. MOO
Because I have a vibrant ,beautiful,amazing DD I do therefore think ; Suzanne had double THAT. She had TWO vibrant dear daughters!
IMO no way does one just check out -ever- no matter -WHAT- for the love of those dear daughters ❤️❤️

MOO

Is it possible that her bike was "found" in the garage where it was usually stored? Or do we know for sure that it was found somewhere off their property? The nephew mentioning "the condition" of the bike wouldn't make sense, though, unless he meant that it was not in working condition and hence never used on the trail.

Is it possible that her bike was "found" in the garage where it was usually stored? Or do we know for sure that it was found somewhere off their property? The nephew mentioning "the condition" of the bike wouldn't make sense, though, unless he meant that it was not in working condition and hence never used on the trail.
According to this article the bike was found on a bridge.
Mystery deepens over missing mom Suzanne Morphew-- as cops search her house and neighbors say NO ONE actually saw her on a bike

On May 19 the spokeswoman for CBI won’t confirm the bike has been found.
On May 19, Susan Medina, spokeswoman with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, told Denver7 that they could not confirm that the Morphew’s house was being searched, but said it is being held as part of the active investigation. The search warrant has been sealed by the court. Medina also said that despite online rumors, authorities are not confirming if Morphew's bicycle has been found or not.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family

I was only addressing the question of where the Chief was getting his information from. However, you bring up a good point. I don’t understand why LE won’t confirm if the bike has been recovered. If the bike is missing, that should be something the public could be on the look out for.

Gannon...
Wow! That puts a different spin on my speculation...can’t exactly explain, just a gut feeling that JMO, if I were trying to stage a disappearance of my wife, this could be difficult to accomplish, not as remote and unpeopled as I thought...the trails seem to be active.
To support my wild theory, I can see that an admirer could have also been a regular on the trails, (lives in general area?) they could have had several chance meetings as he set his plan in play... until we find out that the evidence at house tells another story, this scenario has potential, and it does limit suspect pool more toward a biker, tho.JMO
Watching that video changes the timeline for me.

If she really had gone on a bike ride in that area, people would have come forward as witnesses. Did you see how narrow the roads were? People walking with their children or their dogs had to stop and step back a little to let cars pass. I imagine they'd do the same when seeing a bike coming along.

If someone wanted to stage that abandoned bike, they couldn't risk doing so in broad daylight on a Sunday. Especially on Mother's Day, when people would be visiting, hiking, taking family drives...that bike was probably placed where it was before the sun came up. JMO

This man was found, and I am certain quite a bit of blood and/or tissue would be found at the attack site.

Animals don’t clean up crime scenes, and rarely make it far with their prey. We would have seen LE discuss signs of an attack-blood, hair, flesh, reported animal sighting in the area, and her body. LE already dismissed animal attack and said they don’t believe it happened. I trust they did their due diligence and found nothing to indicate this took place.

IMO MOO JMO

In this case the bear just fought back from what it perceived as an attack, then ran. So no "prey" involved. If she was knocked off the trail, seems like they could have found the bike but not her. But that would mean finding the bike farther back than we've been assuming.

Don't forget slobber...lots of slobber. They also have figured out how to open car doors out here, but they generally destroy what they get into. If SM had been attacked by a bear or lion, there would have been definite signs.
Yes. Animal attacks leave so much evidence.
MOO even the first deputy on the scene would not have thought it an animal attack after observing there were no drag marks or blood trail.
If there was a such a trail her injured person or her remains would have been found almost immediately.
Is it known who was naively saying it might be an animal attack?

Last edited:
I could see something like that. For whatever reason, law enforcement reacted extremely quickly. The CBI and FBI were brought in about as fast as I’ve ever seen. What they didn’t do, is what I would have expected them to do if they believed this was a kidnapping or something non-nefarious.

I’ve been thinking along the lines of some physical evidence pointing them that way, but something like what you suggested is at least as likely as that:

“I’m going to tell BM I want a divorce. If you don’t hear from me, he did it.”
BBM:

Same thought process going on upstairs here.

It could be something similar to that Ann Rule true crime book, "Every Breath You Take," where the murdered woman, Sheila Blackthorne, told a friend, "If anything ever happens to me ... find Ann Rule and ask her to write my story."

I do think it's likely that if there had been any recent tensions, confrontations, ultimatums, unwelcome discoveries, betrayals, etc., in the marriage, SM will have confided in at least one close family member or friend.

It's possible that SM may even have consulted a professional about something that had gone seriously awry in her personal life.

Like maybe an accountant.
Or an attorney.
Or something.

JMO.

Last edited:

Okay thanks, I had forgotten if it was actually reported that way in MSM. Although, the article you linked says that another news story said it was found on a bridge, but their link to THAT news story only says the bike was "recovered". I'm sure it's out there somewhere in a report, I just didn't see it in that link.

I feel TN got dragged into a family situation and offered his professional services with the best intentions. I think he thought his expertise with media and advertising and video could provide a relative with much needed help and get the word out. Then things got weird. So what is he supposed to do-go public against his relative or just quietly stop helping and let LE do their job? I feel bad for him.
I agree. He seems like a decent guy with a nice family.

Extremely unlikely. Only black bears here in CO and they rarely attack unprovoked. We see them out while hiking occasionally and they either run away or ignore us. Grizzlies have been known to chase mountain bikers, but I don't think black bears do that too often.

I didn't realize you didn't have grizzlies. I thought they were all up and down the Rockies.

The thing I found interesting about this case is that the grizzly didn't chase anybody.
The biker came up unexpectedly on the bear and the bear thought it was being attacked. I was thinking that if she startled a bear, it could have knocked her off the trail where she wasn't easy to find.

At this point we really know nothing except SM is missing. We don’t know where she was last seen, heard from, wearing, riding, driving, nothing. We don’t know what possessions of hers are at her home. We know nothing really. MOO

The public has no idea if they are in danger or not, unless you are privy to information that we are not. Secondly, there are enough mods without you or me or anyone else chiming in. (Kay didn't use a full name.) If you feel otherwise, that's what the report button is for. When threads get to your level of micromanaging by non mods, it's usually because nothing is happening with the investigation that we can discuss. Try scrolling and rolling w less trolling.

Well alrighty then.

Eta : The bike was found on the bridge ?
Because under the bridge is where the gnomes are.... but I digress. ;)

As far as the general public being in danger, it's highly probable that the sheriff would have warned the general public.

The fact that no warning and no description leads us to think that LE have a good idea of the "who", and maybe the "why", but not the "where".

So we wait and that's difficult.

Has to be so traumatic for her daughters.
:(
It's good that Suzanne's family said they're safe and apart from BM as this investigation is continuing and no one knows what is going to happen.

Imo -- I wonder if there was any life insurance on Suzanne ?

And if she's never found and no answers are forthcoming (hopefully not !), will the insurance cover the house and any outstanding debt ?
For some reason my mind keeps going back to financial issues.
As if a clue can be discovered there.
MOO

Last edited:
I didn't realize you didn't have grizzlies. I thought they were all up and down the Rockies.

The thing I found interesting about this case is that the grizzly didn't chase anybody.
The biker came up unexpectedly on the bear and the bear thought it was being attacked. I was thinking that if she startled a bear, it could have knocked her off the trail where she wasn't easy to find.
No grizzlies here since the early 20th century; they were hunted into extinction, sadly. The closest grizzly habitat is Yellowstone area (Wyoming), so pretty far north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ms.green