Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with a case (not this one) where the perp/suspect was someone that the FBI was watching for a different reason and once the murder happened, the FBI was brought into the murder investigation?

No, the FBI is now charged with aiding small local LE agencies in Missing Person cases. They were on the ground searching Tuesday May 12th.
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff
1035. FBI Assistance in Missing Persons Cases

I'm one that's hopeful Suzanne is still alive, and think that's very possible. So, I do not want her "body to be found," as that would not be a good outcome IMO. The only thing I've ruled "out" (very low probability) is wildlife attack, for the many aforementioned reasons in this thread.

I'm very cautious about reading tea leaves and drawing conclusions. As cautious as picking stocks and putting down cash :) I need more certainty to make leaps.

Abduction remains a real possibility for me. A Molly Tibbets scenario, just hopefully a better outcome. Without knowing the who was where when, and what was found where, in what condition, it's difficult.

Yes, I understand the percentages in these cases, and know the spouse can be possibly involved. I'm just not there yet. Silence from LE simply means silence to me. Especially when LE still encourages tips at every chance. I've not seen any 'Ah ha!' moments.

As for BM's video. I take very little from that. Except, I would've wore a better shirt, not one that's mis-shapen and on it's way to the rag bag (MOO). Why wait a week? I don't know, maybe he waited until the media coverage, which was good early, died down a bit. Maybe he kept it short so the media wouldn't sound bite it. Or, maybe he was nervous and hiding something. I don't know.

Last edited:
In the Indiana house their is a photo of them together framed on the bedroom wall. They liked to decorate with antlers.

Does anyone know if a landscaper has access to medical insurance benefits? Cancer bills are VERY EXPENSIVE depending on the coverage. Would they have qualified for Obamacare

No reason to think they weren't insured. Worked for small business my whole career but all the companies offered insurance. Whether your a landscaper or concrete finisher, your trade has nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm not following your question...

In the Indiana house their is a photo of them together framed on the bedroom wall. They liked to decorate with antlers.

Does anyone know if a landscaper has access to medical insurance benefits? Cancer bills are VERY EXPENSIVE depending on the coverage. Would they have qualified for Obamacare
I was wondering the same thing. The insurance costs post diagnosis are through the roof.

I for some reason believe this will move much faster than we think...I don't know why. Just a feeling.

I hope you're right, rio, but I'm not getting that same sense right now.

One distinct concern I have regarding this case is that, unlike Colorado's 4th Judicial District, which boasts a highly experienced and successful DA (Dan May), as well as an impressive DDA (Michael Allen), the 4th Judicial District has a brand spanking new DA, who was appointed by Polis and sworn in just last June to replace the duly elected former DA, who abruptly resigned:

New district attorney says public safety is top priority

Turner is a former federal attorney and advisor for the Bureau of Prisons. She is also an appellate pro bono attorney. Her background impressed county leaders. <snip>

Turner will have some immediate staffing needs to address as she begins her new career. Deputy District Attorney Thom LeDoux and two other senior prosecutors also announced their resignations this week.

All due respect to Ms. Turner, but I'm not seeing any prosecutorial background there.

I ain't too sure this is the case for a new DA to be cutting their teeth on, especially if it ends up being a no-body prosecution.

It's an election year, too...turns out, the two people running are Ms. Turner and Mr. LeDoux, who, according to the following article, resigned when Turner was appointed by Gov. Polis:
2 running for DA in Colorado's 11th Judicial District

I have complete confidence in Sheriff Spezze.
But he's not the one who would be responsible for prosecuting this case in front of a jury.
So there's that.

Barring SM's body being found, unless there's some backboard-breaking, slam-dunk evidence that's been discovered, I think we all might be here a while.

I'm prepared to settle in for the long haul.

JMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think whenever they get their lab tests back, plus probably a little time to process them and wrap up loose ends, they'll make their move. Six weeks or maybe less.
Well if she alive I hope she is has just run away.
I think by now she would have let them know she was OK if she felt safe to do so. Unless she was afraid of going back, and afraid she would she would be giving a small clue tonher whereabouts, no matter where she tried to go.

Last edited:
Well if she alive I hope she is has just run away.
I think by now she would have let them know she was OK if she felt safe to do so. Unless she was afraid of going back, and afraid she would she would be found out from giving a small clue, no matter where she tried to go.
BBM:

Runaway is completely off my list of plausible scenarios, for the following reason:

The bike.

Let's play this scenario out.
SM decides to run away.
Abandon her life.
Start a new one.
Okay...

So, she waits until her husband and kids are out of town, hops up on her trusty bike, and sets off down the road, pedals a short distance, then abruptly thinks to herself:

"Nah! I'll hoof it, instead. Because walking is so much easier. Or something."

Hops off her bike and trudges off on foot toward parts unknown.
On Mother's Day.
Because, after all, who cares about her daughters and how this will make them feel, right?

That. Doesn't. Work.

For one thing, it's completely inconsistent with the descriptions we've read of SM and who she is as a person.

If someone wanted to sell the runaway scenario, they would have left the bike at home, or concealed it much, much better.

Someone knew the runaway scenario wouldn't work with friends/family of SM, though...so they set the stage for an abduction scene, instead.

J.M.O.

Last edited:
I agree that the plastic bag the CSI man is holding looks like it contains a scrap of beige carpeting. Whatever the specimen is, I don't believe they're testing for biological evidence because they're transporting the specimen inside a plastic bag. According to this evidence collection manual (link below) to preserve a biological specimen, the specimen must be carefully wrapped in butcher paper or, if not using butcher paper, placed into a brown paper bag or an envelope.
I looked up images for butcher paper and, "just to complicate things" ... it's made in brown or beige.​

From the link:
"Do not package bloodstained or other biological evidence in plastic bags."

Here's the link:
https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/default/files/offices/police/policies/Crime-Scene-Investigation.pdf

The photo of beige butcher paper is from Amazon.
Jmo.

Attachments

• butcherpaperjpg.jpg
    butcherpaperjpg.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3
As for BM's video........Why wait a week? I don't know, maybe he waited until the media coverage, which was good early, died down. Maybe he kept it short so the media wouldn't sound bite it. Or, maybe he was nervous and hiding something. I don't know.

Waiting until the media coverage died down would be pretty stupid, because you want as much coverage as possible as soon as possible. Waiting a week is completely ridiculous if he really wants his wife back.

I agree that the plastic bag the CSI man is holding looks like it contains a scrap of beige carpeting. Whatever the specimen is, I don't believe they're testing for biological evidence because they're transporting the specimen inside a plastic bag. According to this evidence collection manual (link below) to preserve a biological specimen, the specimen must be carefully wrapped in butcher paper or, if not using butcher paper, placed into a brown paper bag or an envelope.
I looked up images for butcher paper and, "just to complicate things" ... it's made in brown or beige.​

From the link:
"Do not package bloodstained or other biological evidence in plastic bags."

Here's the link:
https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/default/files/offices/police/policies/Crime-Scene-Investigation.pdf

The photo of beige butcher paper is from Amazon.
Jmo.

So fiber sample?

I am totally confounded by this case. I can't understand why the family is not reaching out to the media concerning SM's disappearance. So, I assume that it is one of two reasons: Police know what happened and are working to prove it; or the family suspects/knows that SM is alive and willingly disappeared.

There was some land behind the home which looked like it could be leased for farming. Speculating it could have been enough to contribute to the mortgage payment every month, in the interim period before it sold in 2019.

I am mod-shy, but we seem to be ok w/ this line of speculation? I am a transplant to the area of my state, but actually, this was common to Myrtle Beach area, also.
Families owned insignificant or significant areas of land in some cases. As both areas grew, development resulted in even the smaller less desirable tracts of land eventually being sold for incredible profits.

We are looking for the nefarious motives involving finances, but it’s also possible the family finances were maintained thru astute real estate and lifestyle habits.

We began construction on our present home just before 9/11 and the financial crisis thereafter. We used every bit of financial, real estate collateral we had to just get thru those days...consequently we were “house-poor” for far too many years...

So, we may be a bit more extravagant than before, but not really! We have friends who almost cruised the entire first year of retirement;
The wife was very good at finding those last minute deals.
Furniture deals are easier if you have someone in the business...as are vehicles.

The landscape company and volunteer fireman shows a bit of a work ethic, w/ the sparse info we have, as does SM’swork as a teacher.

Off topic a bit but, boy do we regret not going out on a limb and buying one of the beach canal homes when they were selling under $200, ooo...some people are lucky , some are just very smart.

We assume everyone in those big houses are wealthy beyond our dreams, perhaps a random intruder made the same assumption.
perhaps some of the residents of big houses are house poor.
No matter what the outcome of this, it is going to be a tragedy. The days missing increase as does the likelihood SM will not be coming back.
All above is MOO and random thoughts.

I for some reason believe this will move much faster than we think...I don't know why. Just a feeling.
I do, too. I don't believe this will be another Fotis Dulos wait. Maybe next week or the week after.

I wonder if they found anything at the lab from the dig that may help this along. Do you happen to know how long it may take to process this? I don't know why, but I really felt that they were going to find something during that dig. Someone lead them there. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE