Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Dozens Search For Suzanne Morphew After Discovery Of 'Personal Item'

- Family confirms the item is not the bike, which was found Sunday
- Highway 50 is shut down for the search
- CBI and FBI have joined the investigation

Tip line: 719-312-7530
More: cbsloc.al/2WzH2ET

Anica Padilla on Twitter
Ah. There we go.

JMO
If it is true she went on a bike ride, then I am still thinking its possible a Mountain Lion may have attacked her and dragged her away. Especially now if they found another item of hers that was not close to where they found her bicycle.

Mountain Lions are very strong cats that could easily drag her away and the mountainous terrain north of 50 looks to be ideal habitat for mountain lions. It gets really rough north of 50 and may even be some rocky small caves and things where mountain lion could have their habitat.

The only two options I am keeping open right now until more infomration is gotten. Either someone was involved in her disappearance or a mountain lion may have dragged her away.

JMO
If it is true she went on a bike ride, then I am still thinking its possible a Mountain Lion may have attacked her and dragged her away. Especially now if they found another item of hers that was not close to where they found her bicycle.

Mountain Lions are very strong cats that could easily drag her away and the mountainous terrain north of 50 looks to be ideal habitat for mountain lions. It gets really rough north of 50 and may even be some rocky small caves and things where mountain lion could have their habitat.

The only two options I am keeping open right now until more infomration is gotten. Either someone was involved in her disappearance or a mountain lion may have dragged her away.
I agree it's a possibility but would the dogs have picked up on that? Seems like an animal attack would be full of scents for them?

I have no idea.

jmo

Anyone know why they moved to Colorado? Aside from volunteer fire fighter which pays nothing ... what does the husband do for work?
Chaffee County Colorado is an attractive area for retirement. I think an adult daughter made the move first to attend college. Seems a natural move to reunite the family after a couple of years. MOO

JMO

Do we know where they found the bike?

I agree it's a possibility but would the dogs have picked up on that? Seems like an animal attack would be full of scents for them?

I have no idea.

jmo

I agree that if a mountain lion had taken her, you would think by now the dogs would have been able to track her scent and there should have been scrapes and drag marks along the way, and possibly a blood trail, so you would think they would have been able to find her by now. So I agree it is not as likely but I have seen a coyote drag off a chicken (im still mad at it...LOL), and there may not be much blood because what they do is mainly first catch their prey and hold it in their mouth as they drag it off to a safer more isolated place where they will eventually kill it and eat their prey in isolation. So a lack of blood at the scene of the attack would not be surprising to me. Their main goal is to catch it and run off to a safer more isolated place.

the location is potentially perfect for a crime of opportunity. but I keep coming back to the fact that if that is what they suspected, they would be asking the public for assistance, ie possible sightings during the purported timeline. and they havent!

JMO

For reasons he has not disclosed to the public, Sheriff John Spezze has made the statement that he believes the probability of this being an animal attack is "not very high". I've seen a few media links that quote him as saying this, but he doesn't give any reason why he believes this.

Maybe it's because the dogs didn't pick up any kind of scent, or maybe it's because they have evidence that has already pointed them elsewhere?

A lot of guessing going on right now, until they release more info.

the location is potentially perfect for a crime of opportunity. but I keep coming back to the fact that if that is what they suspected, they would be asking the public for assistance, ie possible sightings during the purported timeline. and they havent!

JMO
I agree too.
Im starting to learn to "watch what LE does" and not necessarily always listen to just what they say. Their actions, or lack thereof, may speak more to what is happening with this case.

JMO

They also like smaller people on bicycles or moving quickly. It would be so weird if that's what happened. There have been 22 recorded mountain lion attacks in Colorado in the past 30 years. However, we're seeing an upswing in wildlife throughout the West, especially since the CoVid shut downs. Number of cats being hit by cars must surely be down.

We have mountain lion attacks in California too, such that my kids were absolutely forbidden from mountain biking or running in the hills near our house, which is a popular thing to do. The Scott Lancaster case stuck in my mind and really, my dad had the same rule. We lived on the edge of town, never saw a lion, but had bears on our street (California bears don't attack and kill people, unless said people are stealing their fish or other food).

Anyway, it's an interesting hypothesis.

Things LE likely knows that we don't:
  1. Location of bike when found
  2. Condition of bike when found
  3. SM cell phone records including last contact, last location ping, status on/off
  4. Possible video footage from SM house cameras
  5. Possible video footage from neighbors' home cameras
  6. Specifics on personal item found
With the information above I believe LE has a strong suspicion on what happened and who else was involved, if anyone.

While there remains hope, it sadly would seem like there are limited scenarios with a positive ending here.

MOO.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office had previously released very little information about the investigation, but Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 Denver earlier this week that his department had not ruled out foul play, and that investigators did not believe Morphew had been involved in an animal attack in the remote, mountainous area of central Colorado where she had gone for a bike ride on Mother’s Day.
BREAKING: Police find ‘personal item’ in search for missing Colorado cyclist Suzanne Morphew, authorities to hold press briefing

The chances of being attributed to an animal attack are next to nothing, IMO. They would not have brought in the FBI and established a tip line if evidence was pointing that direction.

3. SM cell phone records including last contact, last location ping, status on/off
With the information above I believe LE has a strong suspicion on what happened and who else was involved, if anyone.

While there remains hope, it sadly would seem like there are limited scenarios with a positive ending here.

MOO.
Yes, and 7. What caused the neighbor to think SM didn't return from a bike ride.

MOO.

Add to that list:

7. Location of all immediate family members at the time, and their cell phone records
8. Bank/cc information
9. Possible geo data from wearable fitness tracker

These days, unless you and everyone you contact on a regular basis go completely (literally) off the grid, you can quite easily be tracked.

MOO.
THIS ^
You can answer a lot of questions just by looking at what LE is not telling us, the reasons certain things haven't been answered or said can lead to logical conclusions. There are reasons we don't know anything about the bike ( likely not important to WHY she is missing) her description that day (makes me think LE knows she isn't out there injured waiting to be found), it isn't baffling to me that we know so little. To me it means LE knows a whole lot and are not needing assistance from the public to "find" Suzanne.

imo

Yes, and 7. What caused the neighbor to think SM didn't return from a bike ride.

Yes! This is key information that could range from just a 'nosy neighbor' gut feel to actual evidence of a crime and everything in between. Though I'm only guessing, imo the neighbor knew something concrete. Perhaps she / he even received a call stating there was an emergency. LE acted quickly for some reason. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member