Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however, Morphew has yet to be found.
CBI creates tipline for missing Chaffee County woman, FBI joins the search

Someone upthread put up a link from bizapedia for Sunset Farms LLC. If you click on the company contact in that link, it opens a whole other list of LLC's.
Most are in Indiana, but there is a listing in Oregon. Digging a little deeper at the Oregon SOS, the original filing says "internet sales" for business type and the address is an apartment in Portland. I had a thought about what kind of farming this might be ... maybe?

I just don’t get when a neighbor would notice she didn’t return when the nearest neighbor looked so far away!?

JMO but everything on MSM to me looked “posed” and too perfect. All for show. Nothing natural? The FB ring picture looked like a picture into a mirror because the ring on her right ring finger looks to be the same one that she would wear on her traditional left ring finger?

It could be me going all judgemental but if my mom went missing and I was on Instagram as much as her daughters are, there would be pleading from me. I mean like posts all day long.

The husband? I don’t know! This is reminding me of Amy Harding with all the silence? It’s been 4 days! Praying she’s ok. Please don’t judge me for judging.

All IMHO

I can't think of examples right now, but it has happened in the past where a person had an accident in the wilderness, and was only found months later by fluke. Extensive searching and dogs do miss people.

I remember an older woman hiker who became lost, and a search was called off.....to everyone's surprise, she turned up alive after 2 or 3 weeks.
What if Suzanne lost control on the road for whatever reason, and went down into a ravine.
Grasping at straws here.

This makes the most sense to me. Unless the neighbors were outside for an extended period of time and when someone asked if they saw her they said they saw her leaving but not return. We can assume her bike is missing. No pleas from family? What about friends? This isn’t looking good. Any cameras on that street? Do we know the proximity of the neighbors? MOO
I have a neighbour (doesn't live directly next door, just in my street) who takes twice daily walks with his dog. During warmer months when we're outdoors a lot I'd definitely notice if he walked one way and didn't walk back because he's so regular with the habit. So I don't think noticing it is weird, I do think being the one to call it in is weird when she has family to do that. Unless in this case the neighbour is quite friendly and is more like a friend than a neighbour. Because I probably wouldn't call in not seeing my neighbour walk back, as we're only on saying "hi" terms, and I'd probably assume he went another way for a change or something and not think any more of it. I would, however, let LE know the time he walked past and any other details if they announced he went missing.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
1 hr ·
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Hi all of you !! I don't comment much and don't have near the sleuthing skills that I see here a lot, but I have somewhat of an ominous feeling about this case. This is a beautiful woman, had a popular and loyal husband, and a couple of daughters that worshiped her.

The word that keeps popping into my mind is "pattern". Did she have a pattern of riding her bike in the same vicinity ? Did she have a pattern of riding her bike at certain times, on certain days? Did she have a pattern of going to a certain place in one direction, and then returning along the same route ? People can get set in their ways, and once they find an exercise regiment that is comfortable for them, they tend to repeat it.....over and over and over.............

I have an uneasy suspicion that this wasn't an accident, I think this was an abduction. Most likely it was someone who had watched her from afar for a long time. She and her husband were well known and respected in the community. They worked out together at the local gym and had friends just about everywhere. I think someone with evil intent (and you know the type of person I'm referring to) took an interest in her and began stalking her. Having read this thread, just how convenient is the timing that she vanished while both her husband and daughters were out of town ?? To me, it seems planned and opportunistic. I don't think her husband had anything to do with this, I think this is going to end up being one of those creepy guys that we all fear so much. The kind that smile, interact, cozy up, befriend, and then betray. I think she was probably abducted by someone she either knew by sight, or someone she waved to while out riding her bike..............likely someone she barely knew. That said, someone who knew her well enough to know when her husband and kids would be gone........so..............maybe this person was closer to her than it appears on the surface.

I made up a somewhat lousy map of the area she disappeared and some distances for scale, along with the locations of the communities where she vanished. I don't think this was an accident or some freak occurrence...........I think she was abducted. I think she was abducted by a local creep that couldn't contain himself, and most frightening, maybe her husband has a good idea who this person is, and instantly offered a 100K reward as an incentive for someone to turn him in and provide his whereabouts. That kind of money will even make family turn against family.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this, and my theory is completely disproved. However, I think if this was a simple biking accident, after 3 days of searching, she would have been found...........don't you ?

You can view my map here:

The disappearance Suzanne Morphew, 49, riding a bicycle in Maysville , Colorado - خرائطي على Google

Last edited:
I'm not in Chaffee county but I'm very familiar with the area and not too far away.

The neighbor noticing her missing doesn't surprise me much. It's a rather close-knit mountain community where people notice each other's comings and goings, and that's heightened during the pandemic.

Our trails and public lands in CO have been remarkably busy over the past few weeks. I've spoken to a ranger buddy and neither of us have ever seen anything like it. Trailheads have been absolutely packed. It does seem like that may be winding down a little as people get back to work.

We have also had some high winds and precipitation blow through recently. It snowed a bit at higher elevations but I'm not sure how much of that weather hit Chaffee county.

Hi all of you !! I don't comment much and don't have near the sleuthing skills that I see here a lot, but I have somewhat of an ominous feeling about this case. This is a beautiful woman, had a popular and loyal husband, and a couple of daughters that worshiped her.

The word that keeps popping into my mind is "pattern". Did she have a pattern of riding her bike in the same vicinity ? Did she have a pattern of riding her bike at certain times, on certain days? Did she have a pattern of going to a certain place in one direction, and then returning along the same route ? People can get set in their ways, and once they find an exercise regiment that is comfortable for them, they tend to repeat it.....over and over and over.............

I have an uneasy suspicion that this wasn't an accident, I think this was an abduction. Most likely it was someone who had watched her from afar for a long time. She and her husband were well known and respected in the community. They worked out together at the local gym and had friends just about everywhere. I think someone with evil intent (and you know the type of person I'm referring to) took an interest in her and began stalking her. Having read this thread, just how convenient is the timing that she vanished while both her husband and daughters were out of town ?? To me, it seems planned and opportunistic. I don't think her husband had anything to do with this, I think this is going to end up being one of those creepy guys that we all fear so much. The kind that smile, interact, cozy up, befriend, and then betray. I think she was probably abducted by someone she either knew by sight, or someone she waved to while out riding her bike..............likely someone she barely knew. That said, someone who knew her well enough to know when her husband and kids would be gone........so..............maybe this person was closer to her than it appears on the surface.

I made up a somewhat lousy map of the area she disappeared and some distances for scale, along with the locations of the communities where she vanished. I don't think this was an accident or some freak occurrence...........I think she was abducted. I think she was abducted by a local creep that couldn't contain himself, and most frightening, maybe her husband has a good idea who this person is, and instantly offered a 100K reward as an incentive for someone to turn him in and provide his whereabouts. That kind of money will even make family turn against family.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this, and my theory is completely disproved. However, I think if this was a simple biking accident, after 3 days of searching, she would have been found...........don't you ?

You can view my map here:

The disappearance Suzanne Morphew, 49, riding a bicycle in Maysville , Colorado - خرائطي على Google

Great theory and well thought out!! Let's hope LE is getting lot's of tips tonight!!

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

Two cases are coming to mind...Mickey Shunick, on her bike....and Suzanne Eaton, the scientist in Crete, who was walking along a road.
Much as I want to hope otherwise, I am now leaning to abduction....opportunistic, or stalking.
Awful.
I also thought about that lady last year (can’t remember the name) that got chased by a guy with the knife while husband looked for a camping spot. I think they found her after 4 days? It was a crazy story, but maybe there’s still hope! MOO

News interview on the phone with the sheriff.

When Colorado Channel 2 reporter asked Mr. Morphew if he’s interested in making a public plea, Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.

Video at link:
Lisa Novack Wood

This sends up red flags for me. It’s simply too soon for a public plea for help finding his wife, yet he issued a $100k reward for her safe return two days after she went missing? These two things don’t add up...

We don’t know enough about the family dynamic to make assumptions of guilt, but this doesn’t seem like a simple case at all at this point.

This sends up red flags for me. It’s simply too soon for a public plea for help finding his wife, yet he issued a $100k reward for her safe return two days after she went missing? These two things don’t add up...

We don’t know enough about the family dynamic to make assumptions of guilt, but this doesn’t seem like a simple case at all at this point.

Law enforcement may be controlling what is put out on social media. The husband may have told his daughters to not say anything until they have a better understanding of the situation.

I'm not in Chaffee county but I'm very familiar with the area and not too far away.

The neighbor noticing her missing doesn't surprise me much. It's a rather close-knit mountain community where people notice each other's comings and goings, and that's heightened during the pandemic.

Our trails and public lands in CO have been remarkably busy over the past few weeks. I've spoken to a ranger buddy and neither of us have ever seen anything like it. Trailheads have been absolutely packed. It does seem like that may be winding down a little as people get back to work.

We have also had some high winds and precipitation blow through recently. It snowed a bit at higher elevations but I'm not sure how much of that weather hit Chaffee county.

I was just going to say, yeah CO is on "safer at home" but I don't think many people are following it anymore. Parks, dog parks, lakes, trails.....you name it, they're packed. I've never seen them as busy as they currently are.

Search fails to turn up Suzanne Morphew

SABBM:

“Eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

“Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue teams have searched area watersheds, and REACH air ambulance flew search missions as well,” Spezze said.

Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Salida Police Department, Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and FBI are investigating her disappearance.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons the FBI has been brought in is to assist local LE with forensic analysis of electronic/digital data.

We've seen them provide that type of assistance in other recent CO cases, most notably the Kelsey Berreth case.

Last edited:
Search fails to turn up Suzanne Morphew

SABBM:

“Eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

“Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue teams have searched area watersheds, and REACH air ambulance flew search missions as well,” Spezze said.

Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Salida Police Department, Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and FBI are investigating her disappearance.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons the FBI has been brought in is to assist local LE with forensic analysis of electronic/digital data.

We've seen them provide that type of assistance in other recent CO cases, most notably the Kelsey Berreth case.

Yeah, that's certainly something. Despite the unusual reward I still thought this would most likely be a lost/injured situation, but if they have DA investigators, the CBI and FBI involved there's probably concern about foul play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro