Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search fails to turn up Suzanne Morphew

SABBM:

“Eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

“Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue teams have searched area watersheds, and REACH air ambulance flew search missions as well,” Spezze said.

Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Salida Police Department, Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and FBI are investigating her disappearance.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons the FBI has been brought in is to assist local LE with forensic analysis of electronic/digital data.

We've seen them provide that type of assistance in other recent CO cases, most notably the Kelsey Berreth case.

I would like to think the FBI was brought in because it was thought that she was kidnapped, maybe so, maybe no. I don't know what the rules are on that, but the more expertise the better, I would think.

In so many of these cases, people immediately clamor for surveillance video. Well, think about it, out there in the middle of nowhere where she was last seen, probably very few cameras, if any. There may be a few game cameras around, but it's the wrong time of the year for hunters to be putting those up. Some of those high dollar homes in the area may have some video surveillance available, but it will all hinge on which direction the camera was pointing in relation to the path she took that day. Once again, if this was an abduction, it appears that someone planned it out very carefully and thoughtfully.

I would like to think the FBI was brought in because it was thought that she was kidnapped, maybe so, maybe no. I don't know what the rules are on that, but the more expertise the better, I would think.

In so many of these cases, people immediately clamor for surveillance video. Well, think about it, out there in the middle of nowhere where she was last seen, probably very few cameras, if any. There may be a few game cameras around, but it's the wrong time of the year for hunters to be putting those up. Some of those high dollar homes in the area may have some video surveillance available, but it will all hinge on which direction the camera was pointing in relation to the path she took that day. Once again, if this was an abduction, it appears that someone planned it out very carefully and thoughtfully.

I'm thinking that the FBI could assist local LE with analysis of cell phone pings and/or other electronic data, e.g., computers, Fitbits, etc.

It's certainly possible that she may have been abducted, but I don't see that as the likeliest scenario.

JMO.

Last edited:
Missing Chaffee County woman: FBI joins search, CBI makes tip line
Missing Chaffee County woman: FBI joins search, CBI makes tip line - KRDO

"I cant say whether the circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious and I can't share what we've found," said Sheriff John Spezze. "I can tell you that in addition to the search, we have an ongoing investigation."

Spezze said authorities will re-evaluate their search efforts Thursday.

The husband’s reward with “No questions asked” reminds me of the Barbara Thomas case. After BT disappeared during a hike in the desert, didn’t her husband make a plea for ‘whoever took her to return her’, saying no questions would be asked?

The husband’s reward with “No questions asked” reminds me of the Barbara Thomas case. After BT disappeared during a hike in the desert, didn’t her husband make a plea for ‘whoever took her to return her’, saying no questions would be asked?
Yes he did! RT offered no reward, and Barb is still missing. It's pretty well established that a reward keeps the story in the news but it seldom produces the missing/victim. I don't anticipate anybody collecting a reward for SM either. MOO

May 13, 2020

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- The search for a woman who reportedly failed to return home from a bike ride Sunday has now garnered federal interest.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, left from her Chaffee County home on a bicycle around 4:46 p.m. Her neighbors later contacted the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, saying that Morphew hadn't returned.

Authorities have focused their search near the junction of County Road 225 and U.S. 50. The area is around three miles west of Morphew's home in Maysville, between Salida and the Monarch ski area. A trailhead and trail are located nearby.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.43.51-PM.png

Over 100 personnel are being used in the search with the assistance of tracking dogs and drones. The search continued through Wednesday afternoon but Morphew has still not been found.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.42.00-PM.png

"I cant say whether the circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious and I can't share what we've found," said Sheriff John Spezze. "I can tell you that in addition to the search, we have an ongoing investigation."

Now, the FBI has joined the search. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has also provided a dedicated tip line for the case: 719-312-7530.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.42.20-PM.png

Check back here for updates.

The Chaffee Country Sheriff's Office said they first received reports of her disappearance at 5.46pm on Sunday. She is thought to have been riding in the area between West Highway 50 and County Road 225.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, left from her Chaffee County home on a bicycle around 4:46 p.m. Her neighbors later contacted the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, saying that Morphew hadn't returned.

The reports on this case or lack of them are really messing with my head!

Are we to believe that SM departed for her bike ride at 4:46 pm, and she was reported missing to the police at 5:46 pm?

It doesn't follow that SM would start her ride at almost 5 pm and police called within an hour! I definitely think the story is missing a correction. Let's keep watch for it. Thanks.

What time did SM really leave for her bike ride-- or simply leave the house on Sunday?

MISSING: FBI joins search for missing Colorado woman, dedicated tip line set up

- A 49-year-old Chaffee County woman remains missing after failing to return from a bike ride Sunday.

On Wednesday, the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office announced the FBI has joined in the search efforts.

Suzanne Morphew's neighbors called the county sheriff's office after she didn't come home. Morphew had reportedly gone for a bike ride near her neighborhood in the area of Chaffee County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

A dedicated tip line was made by CBI. The tip line number is 719-312-7530.

Why would her neighbors be watching for her return so intently? If I knew that my neighbor was going out for a bike ride, I certainly wouldn’t have any idea whether or not she returned. Did this neighbor find her bike?

Following this case now too. I really really hope she is found soon. It is already 4/5 day's.

Still wondering about the neighbor that never saw her return. They only lived there for 1 year if i saw it right. Where they close to the neighbors?
Why no word from the husband or kids? So many questions here.

Still hoping she is going to be found safe and alive.

How far is it from her house to the nearest neighbor? Do they have a view of the access road or the entrance? Did the neighbor try to call her before reporting her missing? Did they have plans to meet later that day? Was her phone found?

ETA: If you look up her address, neighbors don't seem too close, nor do they share an access road. I'm not sure if they would be able to see her returning home - maybe if she cycled past their house, but that's not on her path.

Location already posted here: CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Last edited:
Why would her neighbors be watching for her return so intently? If I knew that my neighbor was going out for a bike ride, I certainly wouldn’t have any idea whether or not she returned. Did this neighbor find her bike?
Finding her bike is a possibility. More likely, IMO, she spoke to the neighbor on the way out for her ride because their houses are relatively close (and the only ones in the area - see maps posted upthread). She could have ridden past the neighbors house and spoke briefly saying she was going out for an hour (or so) bike ride. Maybe there is an agreement to look out for each other since people are shut inside during this time period and Suzanne's family was away. I don't distrust the story from the neighbor. It's a positive that someone noticed and reported early on,

The reports on this case or lack of them are really messing with my head!

Are we to believe that SM departed for her bike ride at 4:46 pm, and she was reported missing to the police at 5:46 pm?

It doesn't follow that SM would start her ride at almost 5 pm and police called within an hour! I definitely think the story is missing a correction. Let's keep watch for it. Thanks.

What time did SM really leave for her bike ride-- or simply leave the house on Sunday?
Any possibility that she borrowed a bike from the neighbor? Or borrowed something to take with her and that's why this neighbor was aware of times and that she hadn't returned? Or there's some sort of agreement to watch out for each other? JMO

May 13, 2020

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- The search for a woman who reportedly failed to return home from a bike ride Sunday has now garnered federal interest.

Authorities have focused their search near the junction of County Road 225 and U.S. 50. The area is around three miles west of Morphew's home in Maysville, between Salida and the Monarch ski area. A trailhead and trail are located nearby.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.43.51-PM.png

Over 100 personnel are being used in the search with the assistance of tracking dogs and drones. The search continued through Wednesday afternoon but Morphew has still not been found.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.42.00-PM.png

Now, the FBI has joined the search. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation has also provided a dedicated tip line for the case: 719-312-7530.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-10.42.20-PM.png

Check back here for updates.
But no interview with the “neighbors” yet?
Anyone find any?

Something about the neighbors calling it in when she didn’t return by six puzzles me. I can’t quite put my finger on it. Where they that attentive too her habits?
Didn't I read somewhere that a family member contacted the neighbor when they couldn't reach her, which prompted the neighbor to contact the police? Or possibly the neighbor saw her bicycle on the side of the road and Suzanne wasn't with it, so she contacted police. I don't find it completely strange that the neighbor was the one to report it. I have a bad feeling that she was abducted by a total stranger. I know it's a remote location, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's exempt from someone looking to do something bad. I just hope she is found soon.

Would they have so many searchers and dogs out where she rides her bike if they didn’t think that’s what happened? Or is that not where they searched? The sheriff seems to have said some things without saying them in linked articles so far! Cannot tell if they have found anything, cannot tell if husband was in town, cannot tell if husband is cooperating.
It doesn’t give much feeling of a good outcome.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members