Cockleburs

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I started this thread because I couldn't find an "Evidence" thread.

When DH and I searched on Nov. 8th, we got covered with Cockleburs. I've washed our clothing that we wore more than 3 times now, and they still have cockleburs on them, which brings me to Cindy washing the pants. If KC went into the woods with those pants, unless Cindy pulled all the cockleburs off of them, then this may be evidence.

I hope LE has those pants and are looking for cockleburs.

Wow...........I haven't heard that word - "cockleburs" in many years! We don't have them here in California, but when I lived in upstate NY they were everywhere! Cockleburs are so invasive that if you get a lot of them on a piece of clothing, like a sweater, it's sometimes not worth trying to pull them off as they pull the yarn out too.

FloridaKatz..........I didn't know that you have cockleburs in Florida. If they're prolific, Casey couldn't go too far through dense vegetation without getting them on her pants. Even if Cindy removed any cockleburs prior to washing, there still might be some fiber from a cocklebur still in the fabric.

You've brought up a good point!

In Illinois we call them "Begger Lice", they appear in the fall and winter. Fitting name of lil ol KC! :saythat:

ok now this is bugging the crap out of me to the point I can't sleep. The ones that Bionicsurfer put up doesn't look like the ones we have. I took pictures of the ones we have all over one of our backpacks, just trying to figure out how to upload them.

So here goes:

Bur1.JPG

that is what we have too, now I know what to call them instead of the derogatory terms I use for them currently

This being a clearer picture than the one Biosurfer and I put up, is actually what they look like. I can't tell from "scale" but the ones I'm still picking off clothing, backpacks, etc. look much smaller than these. And I'm going with the derogatory !!!!

I am logged in, but I can't go to the link to look at the burr. I get a message saying I am not allowed to go to that page. Does anyone know why?
Thanks

This being a clearer picture than the one Biosurfer and I put up, is actually what they look like. I can't tell from "scale" but the ones I'm still picking off clothing, backpacks, etc. look much smaller than these. And I'm going with the derogatory !!!!

I live in Tennessee. We call the prickly cactus looking ones like impatientredhead posted "Cockelburs" and the brown trianglular ones like you and Biosurfer put up "stick tights". Lol, they are definately a pain in the butt.

I never knew the real name of those little suckers. They are hard to get out of clothes and even harder to get out of a Malamute's coat!

Try WD 40....I used to use it to remove burrs from my horses tail...will loosen up snarls in a coat ...spray, then run your fingers through the area...

we call them burdock here in canada..check out this poor dog!
http://reefe.net/images/Home&Mica/MicaBurs.JPG

picture.php

These are what we have in Jersey. I am allergic to them too LOL
I hate them.
11-1-28.jpg

These are the ones I'm familiar with, that we had in upstate NY. They're awful and so hard to get out of clothing or an animal's fur.

Here in Southern Indiana both of these are called Cockleburs.

I had a long dog that got covered in the blowfish looking Cockleburs and had to shave him. Those things are are a nightmare!

I am logged in, but I can't go to the link to look at the burr. I get a message saying I am not allowed to go to that page. Does anyone know why?
Thanks

It could be how your Internet security is set up. When I click on it, I see the picture

Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing. They are brown in color, and they look like miniature round cactuses. My mother always called them cockleburs, but maybe they are called something else.

Sounds like cockleburs to me. Ugh. Nasty little suckers.

These are the ones I'm familiar with, that we had in upstate NY. They're awful and so hard to get out of clothing or an animal's fur.

well now they all look the same to me (up to late) :bang::bang:

whichever it is that we have here in Florida in the bushes, CA or even any of the Ants' would have to pick them off one-by-one. I hope LE has those pants, and I hope they read this thread, as you don't get these burs in a dumpster.

But of course they have probably already figured that out.

well now they all look the same to me (up to late) :bang::bang:

whichever it is that we have here in Florida in the bushes, CA or even any of the Ants' would have to pick them off one-by-one. I hope LE has those pants, and I hope they read this thread, as you don't get these burs in a dumpster.

But of course they have probably already figured that out.

Your picture is a little blury to tell if they are prickly but if they are then they are sandspurs, if they are seed like they are beggarweeds on steriods... the pictures of the cockleburs that people have posted look far too big for what you have.... then again I've never seen one in person so maybe they are small in real life.

I never knew the real name of those little suckers. They are hard to get out of clothes and even harder to get out of a Malamute's coat!

Oh that is a nightmare!!! The sticky green or brown ones, nature's super glue, get into the fur around the paws. The "attack plant", :HBwhiteflag::leaf2:
I guess they are sandspurs but I always called them burrs, is brutal. It is a verrry sadistic plant and if you aren't forewarned, when you go to pull it off your clothing or out of the dog's fur, it will pierce your skin and then you have bleeding fingers. :ouch::yow:

If the plant fibers are still on Casey's clothing, embedded by the cleaning process, I am not sure what evidentiary value they would have.
I would also check the vent system of anything involved with lint removal in the dryer.
Are we hoping for DNA or a location from these?
Not being sarcastic. I've heard too many experts on NG tell us the washing would have destroyed DNA evidence. That's disappointing, I know. :sheesh:

Oh that is a nightmare!!! The sticky green or brown ones, nature's super glue, get into the fur around the paws. The "attack plant", :HBwhiteflag::leaf2:
I guess they are sandspurs but I always called them burrs, is brutal. It is a verrry sadistic plant and if you aren't forewarned, when you go to pull it off your clothing or out of the dog's fur, it will pierce your skin and then you have bleeding fingers. :ouch::yow:

If the plant fibers are still on Casey's clothing, embedded by the cleaning process, I am not sure what evidentiary value they would have.
I would also check the vent system of anything involved with lint removal in the dryer.
Are we hoping for DNA or a location from these?
Not being sarcastic. I've heard too many experts on NG tell us the washing would have destroyed DNA evidence. That's disappointing, I know. :sheesh:

I'm thinking more along the lines of "process of elimination" if these are found on the pants. If they are, it would be unlikely she put her in a dumpster, UNLESS the woods were a first disposal and a dumpster ended up being the final disposal...

I'm thinking more along the lines of "process of elimination" if these are found on the pants. If they are, it would be unlikely she put her in a dumpster, UNLESS the woods were a first disposal and a dumpster ended up being the final disposal...

OK Thanks! I must be :sleep:

I've been curious to see the results of the forensic tests on the neighbor's shovel.

He said it looked clean, but you never know what will show up under a microscope - soil particles, sand, evidence of chlorine...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nancydrewmom
Back