Conference aims to normalize pedophilia

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pedophiles are a very heterogeneous group ... e.g., in terms of intelligence, level of sophistication, interpersonal skills, hobbies and interests, general fund of knowledge, critical thinking skills, other types of criminal conduct, types of preferred victims (males, females, both, adults too? incest too or exclusively?), level of formal education, economic status, employment histories, community involvement, public and private reputations, marital status, children, friends, level of networking/contact with likeminded individuals, types of *advertiser censored*, level of risk-taking, age of onset of cognitive pedophilia (actively constructing and cultivating pedophilic fantasies) and actual behavioral acting-out (putting oneself in situations for the fantasies to develop, etc.), the frequency, intensity, and duration of sexual acting-out, history and types of abuse experienced as a victim (physical, sexual, mental), history of physical/mental disorders, history of “normal” sexual relationships, competing values and interests, motivation to change/manage sexual thoughts and related acting-out, current life situation, and related resources and support networks.

Are pedophiles candidates for treatment? It depends. Some are good candidates, some are terrible candidates. In combination, the treatment variables are very complex and difficult to measure and control – as are outcome measures, which may be delayed for years. Additionally, matching a pedophile motivated for treatment with a competent cognitive-behavioral professional willing to undertake the job is also a major hurdle. However, even paraprofessionals can be trained to provide the right type of therapeutic response to pedophiles -i.e., an adaptive response which specifically avoids reinforcing pedophilic thought and behavior.

Just my opinions,
Russell

Wouldn't a needle in the arm of an active pedophile be cheaper, and easier?

The original complaint was not that anyone made comparisons of homosexuality and pedophilia, the original complaint was that a reference for article came from Liberty University.

There is a theory that attraction to children is just as innate as any other sexual attraction. Why that should be more offensive to homosexuals than heterosexuals is confusing to me. It should be offensive to all of us right?

No, there is a nasty, not so thinly veiled attempt to insinuate that pedophilia is a variant of innate sexuality, in the same vein as perhaps homosexuality, and baiting comments/questions about sexuality being "learned". The intention of several posts in the thread is crystal clear. As for Liberty University, this is the kind of garbage promoted by that pinnacle of higher learning.

No, there is a nasty, not so thinly veiled attempt to insinuate that pedophilia is a variant of innate sexuality, in the same vein as perhaps homosexuality, and baiting comments/questions about sexuality being "learned". The intention of several posts in the thread is crystal clear. As for Liberty University, this is the kind of garbage promoted by that pinnacle of higher learning.

So, are nasty comments only allowed in regards to Liberty?

so now we're saying sexual attraction is learned and can be unlearned or at least refocused?

I know where you're going with this. But I didn't say it, somebody else did.

I asked for clarification.

Well, attempting to bolster an agenda by quoting a visiting professor from Liberty University ahem....is a lot like asking Rupert Murdoch for his stance on journalistic ethics. The conference is much ado about nothing. Nobody is seriously positing that pedophilia should be decriminalized. That is a non starter being promoted by an institution with a long history of meddling in law abiding citizen's bedrooms and passing judgment on anyone who doesn't subscribe to the once weekly or as upon husband's demand, lights off, missionary position, for procreation only sexual practices of those who believe in a vengeful higher power.

This is just uncalled for - where's the tolerance?

The SAT ranges of Liberty students are a fact. I readily conceded that such ranges might not apply to the individual Liberty grad posting here.

Liberty ain't Harvard. It ain't U. of Virginia. That's not my fault.

It's not simple, but it's about as simple as it gets:

BRACE for Fantasy link:

http://www.braceanalysis.com/downloads/BRACEforFantasy.pdf

Russell

I appreciate there's a limit to how much you can "dumb down" this stuff for we who are not social scientists.

But you seem to make a distinction between this sort of learned fantasy and innate sexual orientation. Am I misreading you when I conclude that?

If I am not distorting what you have written, what is the difference between pedophilia and garden-variety heterosexuality?

Hi Nova! No, I for one don't want to lock anyone up for their thoughts however, I do believe that any professional therapeutic measures used to treat pedophilia that subscribe to the use of fantasy by pedophiles as harmless, so long as they don't act out, is the equivilent of holding a lit match to a fuse. That, IMO, only serves to reinforce pedophilic thought and behavior. While we can't control or even know what anyone is truly thinking, if true treatment is sought by a sexual deviant, the first admission must be the deviant thoughts that build up/lead to their acting out. Again, while I do not support anyone being arrested for their thoughts (in this case, fantasies), pedophilic fantasies should not be viewed as harmless - IMO they will eventually and inevitably lead to great harm that creates a victim. JMO.

I see the wisdom in what you say. But when it comes to specific treatment modalities, we are waaaaaaay outside my area of expertise.

I can say with some certainly that we will never effectively lock up people for what they think. At best, we will only drive them underground. (But that doesn't mean we have to say it's "okay" to fantasize about sex with children.)

It's impossible to be "oversensitive" when references are made to homosexuality and pedophilia within the same context. The two have no relationship and the insinuation that both can be discussed as variants of sexual behavior is an insult to millions of people on the planet and those who love them. As for Jerry Falwell, there's no excuse for him. Heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, asexuality are all variants of human (and non human) sexuality. Pedophilia is an entirely different criminal, deviant and sick behavior.

Thank you. Well worth repeating.

Well, attempting to bolster an agenda by quoting a visiting professor from Liberty University ahem....is a lot like asking Rupert Murdoch for his stance on journalistic ethics. The conference is much ado about nothing. Nobody is seriously positing that pedophilia should be decriminalized. That is a non starter being promoted by an institution with a long history of meddling in law abiding citizen's bedrooms and passing judgment on anyone who doesn't subscribe to the once weekly or as upon husband's demand, lights off, missionary position, for procreation only sexual practices of those who believe in a vengeful higher power.

Disgusting and WAY uncalled for IMO.

God forbid somebody say anything about homosexuality, but this kind of view regarding one's faith is tolerant?

The thread is about pedophiles.

The topic of the thread is not Liberty University nor is it about your horrid (IMO) view of Christians.

The original quote came from a part-time faculty member at a second tier university. I allowed for the possibility that said professor is in fact brilliant and a leader in her field. But I doubt it.

Are we bringing religion into yet ANOTHER thread? Did I already warn not to do this or the thread would be closed? Just a sec while I go check.

Okay, I checked and it was another thread.

However, you guys need to get back on topic. Leave the homosexuality and religion topics out of here. Thankyouverymuch.

I'll go ahead and alert on this one, my response too.
Can't win an argument on merit, so has to be taken to base levels.

How can crimes against children no longer be crimes?

“The first thing they do is to get the public to divest from thinking of what the offender does criminally, to thinking of the offender’s emotional state, to think of him as thinking of his emotional state, [and] to empathize and sympathize,” Reisman said. “You don’t change the nation in one fell swoop; you have to change it by conditioning. The aim is to get them [pedophiles] out of prison.”

"...What purpose does calling someone a ‘pervert’ or ‘predator’ serve anyway, other than to express contempt and hatred?” Kramer wrote in a March 14, 2009 blog entry on the website ReformSexOffenderLaws.org. “How is this productive? It certainly doesn’t protect children. I would urge all SO [sex offender] activists to listen to their own message: Stop buying into and promoting false stereotypes. Stop demonizing a whole class of people, and start learning the facts.”

What purpose does it serve? How about the purpose of IDing perverts who prey on children. Ugh.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/15/conference-aims-to-normalize-pedophilia/

Look at the opening post and respond to the first line pu-leez.

They can't "no longer be crimes".

They are the sickest of crimes IMO.

You can't normalize pedophilia.

God forbid somebody say anything about homosexuality, but this kind of view regarding one's faith is tolerant?

The topic of the thread is not Liberty University nor is it about your horrid (IMO) view of Christians.

Wow! Oversensitive much?

animizrule's remarks (and mine) dealt with a specific university and its founder. Jerry Falwell announced that the 9/11 attacks were caused by gays and feminists provoking God to remove his special protection from the U.S.A.

I've already pointed out that Liberty requires all students to study "creation science" instead of evolution.

You'll have to forgive some of us if we don't think of Liberty as a serious, academic institution. And given Liberty's historical connection with the bogus "cultural wars", it needn't surprise you that some of us find articles based on the incendiary remarks of Liberty professors highly suspect.

But that doesn't mean we are attacking Christianity or Christians or even Christian colleges (there are many excellent ones) as a whole.

ETA Kimster I posted this before I saw your warning. To me, the issue here isn't religion, it's one particular, academically inferior university whose part-time staff member gave an incendiary quote on which the entire discussion is based.

The point is that the reader of the article is supposed to get whipped up into a frenzy about the false notion of decriminalization of pedophilia. Upon investigating the origins of 1.) the blog itself, and 2.) the "expert" the writers of the article quoted to rebut the objective and notion of the conference, it becomes clear that there is an agenda here that has little to do with condemning pedophilia exclusively, but rather to cast aspersion on the sexual practices of the citizenry of the country/world who do not subscribe to the narrow view of sexuality promoted by Liberty University and their ilk. Pedophilia is sick and criminal. However, no one ought to be receiving instruction on human sexuality from the followers of Jerry Falwell. As for my supposed "horrid view of Christians" I perhaps don't paint Christians with quite as broad of a brush as you. I'm talking about a subset of Christians who practice very un-Christian like behaviors and espouse very un-Christian like beliefs.

Kimster I must have been posting while you were attempting to reign in the discussion. I plan to leave the discussion now, however, I believe my post is relevant. Unfortunately religion and politics is inherent in this topic when the origins of the article are from such a suspect and politically provocative source.

Might wanna read the post again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back