Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes -- it is not overreacting. There is no way you can send elementary school-aged kids back into that place. Perhaps the building can be rededicated to some other purpose, but its days as an elementary school are done. Try to imagine it from the perspective of a child.

This! Raze it and build a memorial in its place.

I think it's a true testament to the dedication of the teachers and staff that they all returned to work in the new location. To ask them to return to where they almost lost their lives is incomprehensible .

JMO as a local.

I'd be interested to see how they use the building again (if at all). They let students go back to Columbine so I wonder what goes into decisions such as this?

Id think the age of the students has a lot to do with it. I know they redesigned part of the interior of columbine, so that it would be less of reminder also. Teens can probably much better process an event like this than little elementary schoolers (as much as any of us, adult or child, can process it :( )

I'm of the mind that no matter how much they revamp the interior, it would be asking way too much of little children to send them back to the school. I think repurposing the building is a good idea. Just restart the school from scratch at another location.

I'd be interested to see how they use the building again (if at all). They let students go back to Columbine so I wonder what goes into decisions such as this?

It would probably be much more expensive to replace a high school than an elementary school. I know where I live some of the older elementary schools are being replaced because it is too expensive to update them (updating things like the windows, heating/cooling, plus security). Instead they build a newer, larger elementary schools and are tearing down the older ones.

Does anyone know offhand if Virginia Tech is using the classrooms that were part of that attack?

Mother of Arizona shooting victim visits Newtown

When the Greens had returned home from the hospital after saying goodbye to Christina-Taylor, they also were met with cheerful Christmas decorations, as well as presents opened but barely played with. That Christmas, Christina-Taylor had gotten the guitar she'd always wanted.

"I'm not saying it wouldn't be any worse on, say, March 1, but this is what they are going to remember forever about Christmas," Green said. She sighed.

"I just felt their pain all over again. I felt so bad and helpless," she said.

She cried in the car for the hourlong ride back to New York.

Green is planning a return trip to Newtown on Jan. 14. She knows that she is inescapably qualified to understand, and she wants to help.

Green tried grief counseling, and though some people find solace and answers there, she found that other mothers who had lost children helped her the most.

That's why she is going back: "What if there are moms out here like me?"

When Green returns, she will take an angel ornament, either silver or copper, for each family.

"It symbolizes hope," Green says, "and an angel in heaven."

Over time, the impact of the shooting will lessen. By that I mean maybe in 25 years, people will have moved away and new families will have moved in.

Until then, I cannot see that even a park in that place would be somewhere I would want to go to

It would probably be much more expensive to replace a high school than an elementary school. I know where I live some of the older elementary schools are being replaced because it is too expensive to update them (updating things like the windows, heating/cooling, plus security). Instead they build a newer, larger elementary schools and are tearing down the older ones.

Does anyone know offhand if Virginia Tech is using the classrooms that were part of that attack?

I believe they still use the building, but it was re-purposed as offices and no longer contains classrooms. I believe the same was done for the library at Columbine.

In the end, it comes down to money more than anything. I just read an article of the Aurora families in an uproar because the movie theater isn't being shut down. It not cost effective for the theater company to tear down the place due to 'sympathy' or 'condolence'. I'm sure money was also a factor in the Va. Tech and Columbine buildings.

Newtown residents to weigh future of Sandy Hook school

Other schools that were sites of mass shootings faced similar questions.

After two gunmen killed 12 students and one teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., in April 1999, the school was extensively rebuilt and renovated.

The rebuilding included removing the second-floor library, where many of the students were killed. A new library was built on the first floor.

At Virginia Tech, where a gunman killed 32 people in a dormitory and an academic building in April 2007, the university renovated the facilities.

The dormitory where two people were killed was transformed into a "residential college," where students and faculty live and go to class. The academic building where 30 people were killed became a Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention.

Like the shootings at Columbine and Virginia Tech, the one in Sandy Hook has elicited offers of support worldwide.

People throughout the world "have been very generous," Llodra says, including some who may have offered to build a new school or a playground.

She estimates that building a new school would cost "many millions of dollars."

Soccer stars visit Newtown children

The deadly shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School was personal for pro soccer star Marcus Tracy. He grew up in Newtown, and his mother once taught at the school.

The San Jose Earthquakes striker joined about 40 other current and former soccer players, including Landon Donovan, Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, Christie Rampone and Alexi Lalas, on Monday afternoon at the Newtown Youth Academy, playing soccer and signing autographs for children.

I've been hearing the Sandy Hook school will be closed forever...maybe demolished..I don't for sure...Maybe that was just people over-reacting

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think it should be demolished. It was ravaged by an evil person who killed
27 people. imoo

Well, New Yorkers rebuilt the Twin Towers into a massive waterfall memorial and no sign of another office building in its place, so maybe that tells of something...

I think most people in Newtown,CT would like to forget about the school and just have the memories of those who lost their lives there....I hope they bulldoze the school, turn it into a memorial park...lots of trees, playground activities, a place for pets to go to, families to meet at, an indoor gym, etc

A fairly new article I wanted to share..

Nearly a month after the shooting, police were still finding bullets and casings scattered around the school, including some in the parking lot.

Three staff members' cars, including one belonging to slain first-grade teacher Lauren Rousseau, were shot, leading investigators to wonder if Lanza opened fire on cops who responded to the shooting.

What's scary is if Lanza was casing out the school days, weeks before the shooting... there was a report Lanza showed up at the school the day before the shootings, his Mother was still in New Hampshire, and created a disturbance/argument...Anyone know is this true??

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ugs-shot-cars-article-1.1234747#ixzz2HQyapX5W

The funeral home wants to remain anonymous and geneticists at the University of Connecticut have agreed to a request from the state medical examiner to study his DNA in what seems to be a first of its kind study.

But like many of the mass murderers before Lanza, what happens to his body will likely be unknown.

James Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University and a mass shooting expert said in these types of cases "the grave is not marked because the family is afraid the grave will be defaced."

Like rampage shooters, serial killers are often buried in unmarked gravesites. At the time, the Associated Press reported that Ted Bundy requested in his will for his body to be cremated and his ashes scattered over Washington State's Cascade Mountains in an undisclosed location. "Only a handful of people came to say goodbye to Dylan Klebold/Columbine shooter," the magazine reported in May 1999. "His long, skinny body fit awkwardly into the cardboard casket where it would lie until cremation. His hands were folded on his chest, and stuffed animals surrounded him."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/location-adam-lanzas-body-mass-shooters-unknown/story?id=18100476

Newtown, Conn. --

Video games played, screen names used and credit cards billed to buy online gaming time are areas of interest to investigators trying to unravel the reasons behind Adam Lanza's rampage inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Electronic and forensics experts say information could be pulled from computers seized from Lanza's Newtown home, even if they were struck with a hammer, as some reports say.

"If he drilled holes into it, that would be a different story," said Mark Morton, a laboratory supervisor in the University of New Haven's electrical engineering department. "It depends on how much the federal government wants to spend. I believe if the federal government wants to recover data, it will get the data."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...ming-history-probed-4141582.php#ixzz2HR2kdrFp

A fairly new article I wanted to share..

Nearly a month after the shooting, police were still finding bullets and casings scattered around the school, including some in the parking lot.

Three staff members' cars, including one belonging to slain first-grade teacher Lauren Rousseau, were shot, leading investigators to wonder if Lanza opened fire on cops who responded to the shooting.

What's scary is if Lanza was casing out the school days, weeks before the shooting... there was a report Lanza showed up at the school the day before the shootings, his Mother was still in New Hampshire, and created a disturbance/argument...Anyone know is this true??

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ugs-shot-cars-article-1.1234747#ixzz2HQyapX5W

I think it was established early on that the bullets in the cars outside came from when the bullets went through the windows. I'm assuming that the gun he used "sprayed" bullets? In the interview with Jesse's mother she mentioned that all the windows in Victoria Soto's classroom had been shot out.

Some of these articles are just getting ridiculous. There was another one speculating that AL was targeting Lauren Rousseau. :waitasec: In that same article the writer speculated that AL shot the cars BEFORE entering the school. I guess some of these people just want to keep Newtown in the news for all the wrong reasons and conspiracy theories sell papers...

Newtown, Conn. --

Video games played, screen names used and credit cards billed to buy online gaming time are areas of interest to investigators trying to unravel the reasons behind Adam Lanza's rampage inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Electronic and forensics experts say information could be pulled from computers seized from Lanza's Newtown home, even if they were struck with a hammer, as some reports say.

"If he drilled holes into it, that would be a different story," said Mark Morton, a laboratory supervisor in the University of New Haven's electrical engineering department. "It depends on how much the federal government wants to spend. I believe if the federal government wants to recover data, it will get the data."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...ming-history-probed-4141582.php#ixzz2HR2kdrFp

I have a feeling that the investigation is yielding some sort of information re: AL's gaming but that the investigators are keeping a tight lid on it. I kind of prefer it that way - the lack of information almost takes the focus off of AL and puts it back on the victims and the community which is where is should be. I can find more articles celebrating the lives of the children and women who died trying to save them, more articles about donations overflowing and the community trying to move on than anything on AL.

From the limited information about Adam Lanza, it is probably likely he had a tree brain, in which the left brain was the most dominant.

Dual Brain/Double Brain Theory
http://www.julianjaynes.org/related-articles_dualbrain.php

Speculations on the Neurocomputational Foundations of Consciousness
http://philosophyandpsychology.com/?p=1706

The brain is dual. One side of brain is the forest brain that sees the big picture and the other brain is the tree brain that is focus on on minute details. The tree brain causes tunnel vision. Lanza was a small minded person. He knows she is doing it, but shuns it as a result of his tunnel vision. Adam Lanza is very narrow minded and rigid, which stems from his paranoia. There is no doubt that Adam Lanza has a tree brain.

Newtown Board Of Education Meets; Resolutely Takes Up Business Of Running Schools

At the first formal school board meeting since the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Superintendent Janet Robinson told the members that, since that deadly day, students in all schools have not gone outdoors for recess.
Robinson told the board that there are two police officers, at minimum, at every school in town. Only three parents spoke to the board, and called for the officers to remain at the schools permanently.
The school board will also need to decide whether to ask the state education commissioner to grant certain waivers to Sandy Hook Elementary School.

All Connecticut schools are required to be in session for at least 180 days, but Sandy Hook can ask that the state make an exception because of the shooting, Robinson said. Sandy Hook was closed for six days after the shooting.

The board can also ask the commissioner to waive Connecticut Mastery Test requirements for Sandy Hook students. Robinson said she's not sure yet whether the board should make that request, but said it is an option if the board thinks that the test might provoke too much additional anxiety among students.

Find a grave has a listing for NL, since it was added in the 14th of December 2012 its accuracy must be suspect.

Farine: My Noah Posts

Here is the link to the blog of Noah Pozner's grandmother. It's normally a blog about bread recipes but since December 14th she has been posting memories and photos of Noah. It's both heartbreaking and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog