Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Keys ‏@TheMatthewKeys
NBC News: Weapons used in Connecticut school shooting legally purchased, registered to shooting suspect's mother, source says -

Assuming the teachers aren't all shot to death also.

And for those staff and faculty who were blessed not to have been murdered, there is the very good chance that the children weren't easy to visually identify, depending on the range of the shot and caliber of the bullet.

And this is not a place where one would want to be careless in the interest of expediency.

Attendance itself is a real puzzle on a regular day. They have to ID bodies :-( but also determine one by one who may have been absent.
The entire elementary school.

There could be a million top notch psychologists available but if an adult does not want to see one there's really not much you can do. I think we're talking about two different things here.

Thank you! The issue boils down to once someone becomes 18, if they decide there's nothing wrong with them you can't force them to get help.

THAT'S what needs to change.

9NEWS Denver‏@9NEWS

RT @NBCNews: UPDATE: Weapons used in shooting were legally purchased & registered to gunman's mother: http://on9news.tv/QYJZIo #CTshooting

There could be a million top notch psychologists available but if an adult does not want to see one there's really not much you can do. I think we're talking about two different things here.

Oh yes, I agree. But I think that sadly they aren't always available. If someone is suspected of being dangerous though, then that is the stage at which doctors or social services (sorry not sure of the correct term in the US) need to be stepping in and sectioning the person for a while so that they can receive whatever treatment they need in order to make sure they are not a danger to wider society.

Assuming the teachers aren't all shot to death also.

And for those staff and faculty who were blessed not to have been murdered, there is the very good chance that the children weren't easy to visually identify, depending on the range of the shot and caliber of the bullet.

And this is not a place where one would want to be careless in the interest of expediency.

At this point I would think its safe to assume that a parent would know if their child is with them or not. Unfortunately, the only children left in the school are deceased. As a parent...I couldn't even imagine.

For every odd guy in the neighborhood that mutters to himself and lashes out verbally, there are just as many people that are holding back their true feelings and would love to walk into work tomorrow and take out their boss and 20-30 co-workers. Some of them will do it, most of them won't.

I have no answers, but the questions don't seem nearly broad enough.

And when I see the "odd guy in the neighborhood" muttering to himself, I will pat my concealed weapon. Just in case, you know.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

At this point I would think its safe to assume that a parent would know if their child is with them or not. Unfortunately, the only children left in the school are deceased. As a parent...I couldn't even imagine.

[video=youtube;Yu3o8W5JMuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu3o8W5JMuU[/video]

I've been trying to follow the WS threads I normally follow here and have especially been trying to catch up with the latest on this thread. I'm sure as this latest senseless tragedy sinks in, I will get into the swing of things, sleuth the names of whomever really winds up being involved (I've seen so many different scenarios, it will be interesting to see what happened with the shooter and his family). For now, I'm confused and numb.

Has any information been released about the person taken from the school in handcuffs?

I really respect your opinion, but I fault the parents with this one. Without a parents consent, the media would not have access to their children. The children should be at home or at a church or even at the pediatrician's office and not talking to the media. These children have NO IDEA the magnitude of what has happened, but they will! When it all sinks in, there are going to be hundreds of children truly hurting and need of professional medical help to deal with what has happened. There are very few parents allowing their children to talk to the media, so there are many parents who are more than likely doing exactly what I said they should be doing. But the few parents who have given the media access to their children are 100% at fault.

MOO

Can the media interview and air a minor without a parent/guardian's consent? TIA

MSNBC just said the guns used today were legally purchased and were in the name of the gunman's mother.

There are degrees of depression and I'm not of the opinion that is the reason for this.

Would you not say a long-festering rage would be at work here? Rage is not depression. Rage is rage and it doesn't appear overnight either.
I have no idea what this man's mental health problems were. I can only guess.

I do know that Major Depression frequently has comorbid conditions. Over 50% of those with Major Depression will have another mental health disorder.

Yes apparently crisis therapy was/is /and will be needed for all the first responders.

I am in shock personally. This is only 9.5 miles from where I live- but this is our society's problem. Maybe we should stop the myopic war on terrorists and FIXIT here at home...if we see something say something...about the people we are afraid of in our communities, maybe in our homes, and maybe in our classrooms. yes we really are our brother's keepers.

serial killers, baby killers, little boy and girl stealers, and mass murderers:furious:

ISorry JMO in Bethel, CT next door to SandyHook

Could not agree with you more.

I agree that if there were warning signs there they should have been noticed by someone. At what stage did this individual become detached from reality or whatever to the point where he felt that this was acceptable behaviour? Why was nothing done earlier to ensure that this did not happen?

But we don't know whether anything was done. What several of us have been trying to say here is that, especially for an adult, it is nearly impossible to get mental health care for someone who says they don't need it. The only exception is an involunatry commit to a psych hospital, where they can hold them for 72 hours. And even that requires that you prove that the person is an immediate danger to himself or others. It's often very difficult to do that because the professionals who evaluate them don't know them the way that family members do.

I recall in the case of Gabby Gifford's shooter that his parents seemed to have made a lot of attempts to get treatment for him, but he would not cooperate. What else would you have them do?

Thank you! The issue boils down to once someone becomes 18, if they decide there's nothing wrong with them you can't force them to get help.

That is a slippery, slippery slope though. Where do we draw the line between who can be FORCED to take medication and participate in therapy and who is ill but not a danger to anyone? And who gets to decide which is which?

That surprises me - is there really no way in the USA for someone to be sectioned - ie taken into hospital for treatment to stop them harming themselves or others? I find that shocking if that's the case and agree that does need to change. It's only used in extreme circumstances here but does happen if necessary.

Then how did little brother have his ID?

I don't know how easy it is to get an ID in CT, but here, it is very easy to steal the identity of someone you know or have lived in a home with. You need three things with your name on it, and none of them have to be picture ID. You can walk into a secretary of state with a social security card, utility bill and school report card and tell them you lost your ID and they will issue you a new one based on those records, plus about a million other things that you could use as ID for SOS.

If he had access to things like old school papers, lost SS card, and mail that might have still come to the mother's home, especially if he looked similar to Ryan, it might have been easy to get an ID in his name. Like I said, I don't know what the rules are for identity verification in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member