Conway "civil suit behavior a publicity stunt"

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morgan and his firm have always been masters at getting exposure or publicity - they did not need this case to catapult them anywhere (unlike JB and the other family defense attorneys involved).

If he reached out to take this case, I firmly believe it was because Morgan heard rumors that KC (through JB) or her family were out to turn this "kidnapping" story into a media cash cow for themselves. The longer any trial (and therefore conviction) was delayed, the longer that family and their reps had to make money off the tragic murder of a tiny, helpless child. I agree with Musikman about this - why else would JB have countersued unless it was to prevent the slam dunk win that would allow Morgan access to KC's or the Anthony family's (particularly CA's defamation involvement) new financial records?

The fact that KC refused to testify and her family depo's were a ridiculous combination of hostile or inappropriate behavior, conflicting statements, misinformation, or ill-conceived arguments, makes me think the Anthony family all knew there was more at stake financially for themselves than simply insisting they and/or their daughter had accused the "wrong" Zenaida Gonzales.

BBM

The hardest thing I've done all day is pick which parts to bold out of a thoroughly excellent post. No doubt that Caylee is their "business" now; their only known source of income. When one accepts that, a lot of these pieces fall into place as you so neatly outlined.

IIRC he was approached and asked to take the case...but I think I got that info here...in a sort of "subliminal" way.

ETA: I also don't think they would accept a case they thought they may lose.

PS- I was never a big fan of this suit either...not really a litigious kinda gal...but I've "grown" to believe that there is somehow a true connection between Casey and this ZG (the F an elaboration on Casey's part).

ITA with you.... and even if this is for publicity/advertising or to assist in the DP case (perhaps a few dollars were handed their way in order to work out some of the bugs/kinks before the "real" trial....test the Anthony waters, so to speak!) I really don't mind. I really don't think Caylee Marie would mind, either:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

IIRC (and please don't ask me where I read it, it was in some article I think when I was researching Morgan way back when) - he and/or his firm give like a million dollars annually to charity or something like that - he is one of the biggest philanthropists in FL. He has people in his firm with high positions in the state govt. and a respectable reputation in the local legal community. I doubt he does anything like this for any money at all, really, but for the enjoyment of seeing exploiters and opportunists exposed.

You know, if Morgan really wante to make the A's look like fools during the depos, all he had to ask is:

Q: Is this THE Zanny

A: NO

q: how do you know it is not her? have you seen her? have you met her?

A: NO but my daughter says she a 10

q: has your daughter ever lied to you?

A: uuhhhh, well not about Zanny

q: ok, have you ever lied or gave a false statment during this investigation?

A: uuuhhhh, well not about Zanny

gggeeee ok, we believe you THIS time. WHATEVER

In my opinion they went easy on the A's.

You know, if Morgan really wante to make the A's look like fools during the depos, all he had to ask is:

Q: Is this THE Zanny

A: NO

q: how do you know it is not her? have you seen her? have you met her?

A: NO but my daughter says she a 10

q: has your daughter ever lied to you?

A: uuhhhh, well not about Zanny

q: ok, have you ever lied or gave a false statment during this investigation?

A: uuuhhhh, well not about Zanny

gggeeee ok, we believe you THIS time. WHATEVER

In my opinion they went easy on the A's.
That's brilliant! I think you should suggest this to Morgan for Round Two!

Ugh, I hate to say this but I sorta agree with conway (someone please punch me in the throat) I know Morgan has a job to do and I understand the videos had to be released but I found the civil suit rather frivolous. Everyone knew Zenaida wasn't the culprit.
That said, I still enjoyed watching the depos and watching the A's make themselves look foolish and unprofessional.

On a side note, I showed my boss parts of Cindys depo (He doesn't follow the case) and his mouth was to the floor at how she acted in a court of law. I mean who does that and talks to lawyers like that calling them aholes? Sigh

I agree that the civil suit is frivolous also. And yes, I do believe Morgan is using it for publicity. Most attorneys would jump at a chance to be involved in a case of this high profile. But I don't feel that Cindy was technically in a "court of law". It was just an attorney's office. Furthermore, in a way I can't blame her and George for being ticked off. I think some of the questions Morgan was asking was irrelevant to the civil case and he had no business asking. I've called a couple lawyers "aholes" a time or two. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like me. Some of them deserve it. I know, I used to be a court reporter. Just one more thing ..... what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

I agree that the civil suit is frivolous also. And yes, I do believe Morgan is using it for publicity. Most attorneys would jump at a chance to be involved in a case of this high profile. But I don't feel that Cindy was technically in a "court of law". It was just an attorney's office. Furthermore, in a way I can't blame her and George for being ticked off. I think some of the questions Morgan was asking was irrelevant to the civil case and he had no business asking. I've called a couple lawyers "aholes" a time or two. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like me. Some of them deserve it. I know, I used to be a court reporter. Just one more thing ..... what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

BBM and here's the answer to your question:

An old and very poor "joke" meant to belittle and scorn a whole group of people, ignoring their individuality, indicating they are less than human.

Similarly, I disagree with the rest of your post. I've never seen anything like this behavior whether in an attorney's office or the parking lot. Morgan's questions were within the scope of the legal proceeding, with the law that governed that proceeding, and any that they felt were not would have been bettered argued through an objection by their counsel.

I think most of the posters here understand that the deposition was a legal proceeding, rather than a literal "court of law" and as a legal proceeding it should have been handled with dignity and professionalism. However, some folks just don't have either.

Regardless if one believes an action is frivolous or not, only the court can make that decision. Parties and witnesses do not have the authority and should not presume to 2nd guess the court and the law. Instead, they must at some point accept that the law applies to them, just as to others. Until they accept that simple fact, they are subject to the consequences of their actions.

IMHO, Morgan has shown GREAT restraint and deference to what, imo, is a sham and an abuse of Caylee's memory.

Again, there is little doubt that Morgan turns down more cases than he accepts. Exactly why does he want the publicity again? (As if his firm isn't a household name in several states.)

The law is the law and if Morgan were not acting within the law, the court would not be entertaining this suit. Like Morgan, the court has a full docket and doesn't need or want any other cases or cheap publicity.

Regardless if one believes an action is frivolous or not, only the court can make that decision. Parties and witnesses do not have the authority and should not presume to 2nd guess the court and the law. Instead, they must at some point accept that the law applies to them, just as to others. Until they accept that simple fact, they are subject to the consequences of their actions.

IMHO, Morgan has shown GREAT restraint and deference to what, imo, is a sham and an abuse of Caylee's memory.

Again, there is little doubt that Morgan turns down more cases than he accepts. Exactly why does he want the publicity again? (As if his firm isn't a household name in several states.)

The law is the law and if Morgan were not acting within the law, the court would not be entertaining this suit. Like Morgan, the court has a full docket and doesn't need or want any other cases or cheap publicity.
ITA Lin,
the only frivolous part was KC's countersuit.But even that falls under a court of law and the Judge's discretion to dismiss or not.

In virtually every civil suit you have two sides opposing each other.There is frequently general animosity and that "ticked off" feeling. This doesn't have anything to do with the Lawyers.They were all well behaved during the depos.This has everything to do with the A's behavior ,which we see over and over again.They treated the lawyers with the same vehemence they treated the protestors.Only difference is ,they didn't bring a hammer or a hose.The Anthony's are unable to control their anger,even during a legitimate,authorized by the judge,legal proceeding.I also thought his questions were entirely relevent to proving KC lied routinely,she stole because she didn't have a job,therefor didn't need a nanny,couldn't pay a nanny and completely used this ZG's info from her Sawgrass application,to point the guilty finger at.The JM legal team did an outstanding job IMO.

I think KC laid the foundation to say that her stealing and lying was an effort to find her daughter....cough gag.......maybe LE has been using the wrong tactics all along..........geez

Then I wonder what her excuse would be for all the documented stealing and lying she did PRIOR to Caylee "missing" (we all know Caylee never was truly "missing.")

I have worked for attorneys and I have to disagree with you. When you are called to court or a depo you are expected to take it seriously and it is not up to you as an individual to decide which questions should be answered and which ones you should ask to pass on. The A's had their own attorney sitting there right beside them and it was up to their attorney to object. The only stunt was clearly by the A's and if you doubt it take another look at Cindy's depo as she clearly "winks" at her attorney during one of her disrespectful displays of anger. If I had been her attorney I would have turned inside out in embarassment as it looks as if he put them up to it. There was a very respectful way to answer those questions and the A's wanted to get sympathy from the public and it backfired big time. All they had to do was hesitate before answering and let their attorney object. If he did not then you answer the question or say you would rather not answer that question at this time until you can speak with your attorney. Cindy was in pitbull mode for sure and it was all about control.

As far as Morgan.....maybe he knows where the money is coming from. If he has many, many good contacts....I would guess he knows more than we could ever know. I would want him fighting for me.

Then I wonder what her excuse would be for all the documented stealing and lying she did PRIOR to Caylee "missing" (we all know Caylee never was truly "missing.")

Maybe she was just practicing up as she had a "gut feeling" she would later need those skills (lying and stealing, etc) to save Caylee? Oh wait, she did not save Caylee...so what was all that lying and stealing about again? Oh now I recall...it was all about Casey and to Hades with everyone else!

Maybe she was just practicing up as she had a "gut feeling" she would later need those skills (lying and stealing, etc) to save Caylee? Oh wait, she did not save Caylee...so what was all that lying and stealing about again? Oh now I recall...it was all about Casey and to Hades with everyone else!

Yeah, and those skills she exhibited so often certainly didn't show CA any "red flags" (well, except to her therapist maybe. once or twice).

you know, if morgan really wante to make the a's look like fools during the depos, all he had to ask is:

Q: Is this the zanny

a: No

q: How do you know it is not her? Have you seen her? Have you met her?

A: No but my daughter says she a 10

q: Has your daughter ever lied to you?

A: Uuhhhh, well not about zanny

q: Ok, have you ever lied or gave a false statment during this investigation?

A: Uuuhhhh, well not about zanny

gggeeee ok, we believe you this time. Whatever

in my opinion they went easy on the a's.

potw!

Maybe she should have said, "I'll do anything! I will lie, steal, sleep around, and lie on the couch eating bonbons to find Caylee!";)

BTW- If Zanny was a "10," there would be no WAY we would be unable to prove her existence.

All we would have to do is look for the line of guys at her door, wanting to give her things.

My niece used to be an Elite model. Whenever I went to lunch with her, I could tell which of the waiters were straight. They were the ones who ignored me completely, but gave her 8 glasses of ice water, and checked to see how she liked her meal, every two seconds. :-)

Guys would literally stop in the street with the "deer in the headlights" look.

Best line I heard: "What god put you on this earth?!":-)

Which shows you how lame all the OTHER lines were. :-)

Maybe she should have said, "I'll do anything! I will lie, steal, sleep around, and lie on the couch eating bonbons to find Caylee!";)

Also, shop at Target, JC Penney, cook and do laundry for the "boys", be a "shot girl", enter a "hot body contest", rent movies, go to the theater, help people go on vacation, help prepare and decorate for a 4th of July party, and get a tattoo!!:doh:

BBM and here's the answer to your question:

An old and very poor "joke" meant to belittle and scorn a whole group of people, ignoring their individuality, indicating they are less than human.

Similarly, I disagree with the rest of your post. I've never seen anything like this behavior whether in an attorney's office or the parking lot. Morgan's questions were within the scope of the legal proceeding, with the law that governed that proceeding, and any that they felt were not would have been bettered argued through an objection by their counsel.

I think most of the posters here understand that the deposition was a legal proceeding, rather than a literal "court of law" and as a legal proceeding it should have been handled with dignity and professionalism. However, some folks just don't have either.

Not a poor joke at all, when you consider the amount of damage done to people by lawyers. Even Shakespeare knew that.

Not a poor joke at all, when you consider the amount of damage done to people by lawyers. Even Shakespeare knew that.
Or FOR people.......I have adopted 4 kids and have had wonderful,caring ,concerned lawyers ,who I would be glad to call friends.
And I think of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member