Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll agree with you - you've been around for a while, as have I and so has gngr~snap. You seem to be on top of the facts. There are a few posters who closely followed originally but haven't been back.

I'm back!:seeya:

I did some research and found that a teacher in AZ left a child in car all day long and wasn't charged in death. But again we don't know if that person had walked to car during the day, made call regarding the child as did Ross, etc. Another person left child to die as he smoked marijuana outside with a friend.
Ross comments, ie, something like "there was no malice" to police and "I dreaded how he would look" just confirm it for me.
But the way its charged state doesn't have to prove premeditation, so I think he's cooked. He does appear to like prison chow. I'm looking forward to HLN coverage. I so miss Court TV and Vinnie P. Etc.

I think charges should always be brought in such cases...maybe not murder in some situations, but something has to happen to people who leave a child in harm's way. This is not something where we can just say, "Oops," and move on as if the child suffering or dying doesn't matter.

But most important for me is that I shudder when I think of how easy it will be for people to intentionally murder a child by use of a hot car scenario if authorities and society in general adopt a no-fault attitude toward these incidents. How many people can get away with it? Just look at how many are up in arms over Harris being charged after "making a mistake."

I think charges should always be brought in such cases...maybe not murder in some situations, but something has to happen to people who leave a child in harm's way. This is not something where we can just say, "Oops," and move on as if the child suffering or dying doesn't matter.

But most important for me is that I shudder when I think of how easy it will be for people to intentionally murder a child by use of a hot car scenario if authorities and society in general adopt a no-fault attitude toward these incidents. How many people can get away with it? Just look at how many are up in arms over Harris being charged after "making a mistake."

Exactly, there oughta be at least manslaughter/negligence charges brought because of people like Justin who try to make murder look like an accident so they can get off, get the sympathy, and the life insurance.

I don't agree. Why punish grieving parents who made a horrific mistake just so you can guarantee that the one or two parents that do it on purpose don't go free? I really don't see the point of sending people to jail for something like this, if it was an accident. I also don't see how it's that easy to kill your child intentionally---there are so many things pointing to JRH's guilt. With technology nowadays, this idea that there will be nothing on your computer or phone that will indicate that you had a motive to kill your child is ridiculous. I have confidence in most investigators that they would not mistake premediated murder for an accident. What about the other parent? Are they both in on it or do they just never suspect their partner?

The tossing of juror #22 brought the number of qualified jurors down to 37.

Removed from the pool of qualified jurors was Juror 22, an unemployed father of two, who had been qualified back on April 18. When attorneys in the case questioned him that day, he claimed he had been offered a baseball scholarship to Chattahoochee Technical College. Prosecutors alleged then that he was lying about the scholarship offer and had sought to remove him as a possible juror, but Staley that day denied the request, saying the state’s allegation was hearsay.

Staley reversed course on her previous decision Thursday afternoon after hearing from David Archer, the college’s athletics coordinator, who testified that Chattahoochee does not offer athletic scholarships for baseball. The school does not even have an intercollegiate baseball team — only intramural-related baseball activity.

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/juror...cle_4fefbe22-0db3-11e6-b9a5-031b3616212b.html

The defense wanted to keep Juror 22, and argued that a bogus baseball scholarship has nothing to do with the case. The prosecution argued that the dishonesty showed that the juror wasn’t taking things seriously.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/judge-disqualifies-potential-hot-car-death-juror-for-lying/

Juror 78- merchandise planner, married, no kids. No bias. Husband works at Home Depot corporate office. @cbs46 #CBS46JHR #hotcardeath

Juror 78 says she is willing to sit on any jury because “I think everyone deserves a fair trial.” #CBS46JRH #hotcardeath @cbs46— Vince sims (@SimsCBS46) April 28, 2016

http://www.wtvm.com/story/31839204/day-14-justin-ross-harris-courtroom-tweets

more on Juror 78:

At one point lead defense counsel Maddox Kilgore quizzed a juror about her husband donning the costume of Home Depot’s cartoon mascot, Homer. Juror 78, like her spouse, works for Home Depot, where Harris was employed until his arrest in June 2014. Juror 78, a graduate of the University of Alabama, as was Harris, said she hasn’t followed the case closely but wants to serve because “everyone deserves a fair trial.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/crime-law/as-selection-process-nears-end-more-questions-for-/nrDKh/

Juror 78, a merchandise planner from Smyrna, said she and her husband both work for Home Depot, the company that previously employed Harris. But she said she was not working for the Cumberland-based company at the time of Cooper’s death — June 18, 2014

The potential juror said that she and her husband’s roles — he works as a digital content analyst — did not have them working with the team in which Harris worked during his time at the company. She also said that she and her husband worked at a Home Depot complex next to the Little Apron Academy, the day care Cooper had attended on Paces Ferry Road near Spring Hill Parkway

Despite her and her husband sharing the same employer as Harris, Juror 78 said she would feel no pressure to lean a certain way in the case. She also told Superior Court Judge Mary Staley that she had no opinion on the case and would be impartial if selected for the jury.

The woman also said she attended the University of Alabama, the same college attended by Harris. That fact led Harris attorney Maddox Kilgore to ask if he could begin his questioning of the juror with a “Roll Tide.”

“Roll Tide,” Juror 78 responded.

One line of Kilgore’s questioning asked the woman if she could endure viewing or hearing about any evidence concerning Cooper’s death and body.

“Any case involving the death of a child, there is going to be very, very disturbing testimony and photographs. What we want to know is are you going to be able to hear that kind of testimony?” Kilgore asked. “Are you going to be able to look at those kind of images and still be of the mindset that you’re telling us you are right now — wanting to give him a fair trial?”

Juror 78 responded by saying “the fact that it’s not a bloody, gory case, I would try to do my best. From what I know of the case, I think I could do it.”

She added that despite seeing any such images or hearing such testimony, she would continue to hold prosecutors to their burden of proof.

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/juror...cle_4fefbe22-0db3-11e6-b9a5-031b3616212b.html

I haven't had time to follow the jury selection as closely as I would have wished. Thank you to all who are keeping this thread updated on the progress. :yourock:

Exactly, there oughta be at least manslaughter/negligence charges brought because of people like Justin who try to make murder look like an accident so they can get off, get the sympathy, and the life insurance.

I was about to say, maybe if the penalties are steeper people would be more vigilant and the "forgetfulness" will stop causing accidental hot car deaths. And then I thought...if a dead child isn't a steep enough penalty, what is??

Juror 78, a merchandise planner from Smyrna, said she and her husband both work for Home Depot, the company that previously employed Harris. But she said she was not working for the Cumberland-based company at the time of Cooper’s death — June 18, 2014

The potential juror said that she and her husband’s roles — he works as a digital content analyst — did not have them working with the team in which Harris worked during his time at the company. She also said that she and her husband worked at a Home Depot complex next to the Little Apron Academy, the day care Cooper had attended on Paces Ferry Road near Spring Hill Parkway

Despite her and her husband sharing the same employer as Harris, Juror 78 said she would feel no pressure to lean a certain way in the case. She also told Superior Court Judge Mary Staley that she had no opinion on the case and would be impartial if selected for the jury.

The woman also said she attended the University of Alabama, the same college attended by Harris. That fact led Harris attorney Maddox Kilgore to ask if he could begin his questioning of the juror with a “Roll Tide.”

“Roll Tide,” Juror 78 responded.

One line of Kilgore’s questioning asked the woman if she could endure viewing or hearing about any evidence concerning Cooper’s death and body.

“Any case involving the death of a child, there is going to be very, very disturbing testimony and photographs. What we want to know is are you going to be able to hear that kind of testimony?” Kilgore asked. “Are you going to be able to look at those kind of images and still be of the mindset that you’re telling us you are right now — wanting to give him a fair trial?”

Juror 78 responded by saying “the fact that it’s not a bloody, gory case, I would try to do my best. From what I know of the case, I think I could do it.”

She added that despite seeing any such images or hearing such testimony, she would continue to hold prosecutors to their burden of proof.

Gosh, how can there be disturbing photos if Cooper just looked peaceful, like he was sleeping? (As Ross told Leanna at the police station that night, also saying "I dreaded how he would look.")

/sarcasm

it just keeps happening. Here is a man who is facing felony child neglect and involuntary manslaughter charges for leaving his girlfriend's toddler in the car all day. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...r-2-year-old-bake-death-car-article-1.2618034

This man was running late and ran around dropping off other kids prior to leaving the 2 year old in the car.

Ross Harris left Chik-Fil-A after having breakfast with his only son, then kissed his son as he put him in his car set, drove 0.6 miles (about 30-40 seconds) and backed into a parking spot at Home Depot corporate.

Big difference.

Not comparing the cases Jersey. Just astounded that even with all the press these hot car stories have received, children continue to be left in hot cars. Such suffering. To die in such a way. It just tears one up to think of what an awful death it is

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

The inquisitive side of me quite often asked why when trying to problem solve or find an answer to a question. To be brutally blunt, in this case I have asked myself, if I were a parent wanting to be single how would be best way to murder my child. In thinking rationally I would want to limit the pain and chances of being caught. Limit amount of evidence against me. But then I think of the Susan Smith type of parents. I would think if I were a parent wanting to murder I would do it in my house. Limit the chance of any witnesses. Pillow/suffocation. Falling off swing set, etc. In the JRH case he has introduced many potential people who can testify (daycare workers, co-workers, camera's, people who witnessed him pull car over and pull Conner out. On a side note, if I pre-planned my son's premeditated murder and pulling car over I would immediately be doing CPR to fake my parenting responsibilities. I guess I just can't look at smiling pics of JRH and CH together smiling then wrap my mind around any parent killing a beautiful baby boy.
In asking myself "the why" I still can't figure out why JRH selected this method over a more private method.....and this is based on IF he is guilty and did this intentionally. He may have just made a terrible mistake while his brain was engaged elsewhere.

The inquisitive side of me quite often asked why when trying to problem solve or find an answer to a question. To be brutally blunt, in this case I have asked myself, if I were a parent wanting to be single how would be best way to murder my child. In thinking rationally I would want to limit the pain and chances of being caught. Limit amount of evidence against me. But then I think of the Susan Smith type of parents. I would think if I were a parent wanting to murder I would do it in my house. Limit the chance of any witnesses. Pillow/suffocation. Falling off swing set, etc. In the JRH case he has introduced many potential people who can testify (daycare workers, co-workers, camera's, people who witnessed him pull car over and pull Conner out. On a side note, if I pre-planned my son's premeditated murder and pulling car over I would immediately be doing CPR to fake my parenting responsibilities. I guess I just can't look at smiling pics of JRH and CH together smiling then wrap my mind around any parent killing a beautiful baby boy.
In asking myself "the why" I still can't figure out why JRH selected this method over a more private method.....and this is based on IF he is guilty and did this intentionally. He may have just made a terrible mistake while his brain was engaged elsewhere.

I think he thought the publicity and sympathy would get donations from people.

I really don't see this as a terrible mistake but from now on I'll keep my opinions to myself.

He made multiple "mistakes" that day.

Not comparing the cases Jersey. Just astounded that even with all the press these hot car stories have received, children continue to be left in hot cars. Such suffering. To die in such a way. It just tears one up to think of what an awful death it is

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

According to the NPO's that keep track, these horrible hot car deaths remain extremely rare, thankfully.

Good people can make bad mistakes, but IMO these deaths are rare because it's rare for parents to forget where their children are, and equally rare for parents to think it's OK to leave their babies/ young children unattended in a hot car for any length of time, if at all.

Heck, I refused to leave my DS alone in a car until he was 11 or so, and even then only very occasionally, and only for a few minutes while I (literally) ran in and out of a convenience store or went inside to pay for gas.

I don't agree. Why punish grieving parents who made a horrific mistake just so you can guarantee that the one or two parents that do it on purpose don't go free? I really don't see the point of sending people to jail for something like this, if it was an accident. I also don't see how it's that easy to kill your child intentionally---there are so many things pointing to JRH's guilt. With technology nowadays, this idea that there will be nothing on your computer or phone that will indicate that you had a motive to kill your child is ridiculous. I have confidence in most investigators that they would not mistake premediated murder for an accident. What about the other parent? Are they both in on it or do they just never suspect their partner?

Why?

Because I do not look at it as merely punishing after the fact. I look at it as potentially preventing the incidents in the first place. IOW, if there are known consequences, people might be more attuned to the responsibility at hand, i.e., the child in their care.

If I run a stop sign and someone is injured or killed because my mind was not on my driving but instead on how many donuts I need to buy for a brunch, I will go down for it, and if I know that in advance I might be a whole lot less likely to make donuts purchase my priority.

I think the issue when you decide to premediate the murder of your child is...There's going to be a motive. There is going to be something in your life that indicates that you no longer wanted to be a parent. An affair would be a common one. There will be something on your phone or on your computer history about your plan. JRH made so many mistakes. It's easy to say "Just don't leave a trail like he did" but IMO, a lot of murderers think they are smarter than they really are and there will be something they do that indicates something is wrong here. You also have the other parent to worry about. Unless they are in on it, are they not going to notice anything is up? I don't believe that someone who murders their child on purpose is going to behavior like someone whose child dies by accident. Do I think it's possible one could kill their child intentionally by leaving them in a hot car and not be charged? Yes, but do I think it's so foolproof that no one will suspect anything? No.

Now if JRH is found not guilty on all charges, or not guilty on the charges pointing to murder (got to look them up again), what impact will they have on prosecutors? This case could be setting a precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper