Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's prudent for people in high risk categories to protect themselves to the extent they are comfortable. If I was health compromised or elderly, I'd likely feel the same. Maybe not, since I'm the opposite of a worrier by nature, but I totally get it.

I think of a worrier as someone who stews about something but is too immobilized to fix it. So I’m not a worrier either. I’m a fixer. :)

I heard a cute saying on the subject of worry...Worry is like being in a rocking chair. You exert all sorts of effort but you’re not going to get anywhere. :D

I wouldn't want to, either. Which is one of the reasons I wouldn't go to China right now. My only point in this thread tonight (and it has veered, as it always does) is that I don't see this is a huge public health threat in the US of a very unusual nature. Yet it's being treated like one -- to the extreme, imo.
Well, personally, I don't think the magnitude of public health threat can be assessed until more is known about the ease of transmission -- how long the incubation period REALLY is (not just what it looks like after a few dozen cases), plus how long it can REALLY live on surfaces like ATM machine keyboards, gas pump handles, etc. All separate issues from the mortality rate.

If it's not a major public health threat that will become clear soon enough. But all the unknowns leave people worried.

And as I said in a response to you a few days ago, the impact to the economy due to people's concern is a real thing, even if it turns out the fear is medically unfounded -- the economic impact is a creature all on its own.

Second Coronavirus Death In Washington; More Cases Confirmed
The second death connected to the new coronavirus was reported in Washington, also marking the second known U.S. death.
By Feroze Dhanoa, Patch Staff
Mar 1, 2020 5:57 pm PT | Updated Mar 1, 2020 6:44 pm PT

EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland is seen Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020. (Elaine Thompson/Associated Press)

A second person in Washington has died from COVID-19 — the new coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China — marking the second known death in the United States linked to the virus as more cases were confirmed across the country.

Seattle and King County Public Health officials confirmed the second death in a news release Sunday evening.

The person who died was a man in his 70s who was hospitalized at EverGreen Health in Kirkland and had underlying health conditions. Along with confirming the second death, public health officials said Sunday evening there were three other cases diagnosed in King County. All four cases were in patients who are residents of LifeCare, the nursing facility in Kirkland where dozens are sick with respiratory illnesses or currently hospitalized for pneumonia. The new cases are in addition to the two announced Sunday morning.

There are now 10 confirmed cases in King County, including the two deaths. Overall, state health officials say there are 13 cases in Washington, with three of those in patients in Snohomish County, including the first ever case diagnosed in the U.S.

The first death linked to the new coronavirus was confirmed on Saturday. Officials said the patient was a King County man in his 50s with underlying health conditions.
This was on our local news. This is so sad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to, either. Which is one of the reasons I wouldn't go to China right now. My only point in this thread tonight (and it has veered, as it always does) is that I don't see this is a huge public health threat in the US of a very unusual nature. Yet it's being treated like one -- to the extreme, imo.
So this is the math that will affect an already maxed health system....let's focus on the at risk group, baby boomers.
There were 74 million in the US in 2016. So let's go with that number.
On average let's say 15% get it....11.1 million
5% are critical.....550,000.
We don't have an additional 550,000 beds in the US to care for critical patients...
This is math basis for the thought that we have a pending health care crisis, just like all the other countries.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

I'm torn between worrying about myself (mildly I suppose), and my grown kids (more so) who live near and work in the highly densely populated area of Manhattan, and my parents (most of all) who are in their 80's. It's not even a question of looking the other way for me.

My mom is 83. Looks 63. Is at university working on her master’s degree after finishing a double major last year. No joke. She went through Nazi occupied Holland during WWII, had her tonsils taken out without anesthesia at age 4, had a root canal without anesthesia at age 9, had a blood infection and almost lost her arm, also at age 9 and had mumps, measles, whooping cough- pretty much every disease we now vaccinate for.

She’s smart, sharp and has the purest, kindest soul. I hope she has that rugged WWII immunity that will protect her but losing her would be a massive loss to those who know her and love her. And that’s a huge number of people.

It baffles me that people discount a disease just because it only affects the elderly or those with conditions. Awful. My mom’s life matters.

My mom is 83. Looks 63. Is at university working on her master’s degree after finishing a double major last year. No joke. She went through Nazi occupied Holland during WWII, had her tonsils taken out without anesthesia at age 4, had a root canal without anesthesia at age 9, had a blood infection and almost lost her arm, also at age 9 and had mumps, measles, whooping cough- pretty much every disease we now vaccinate for.

She’s smart, sharp and has the purest, kindest soul. I hope she has that rugged WWII immunity that will protect her but losing her would be a massive loss to those who know her and love her. And that’s a huge number of people.

It baffles me that people discount a disease just because it only affects the elderly or those with conditions. Awful. My mom’s life matters.
Your mom sounds like a amazing lady! Take care.

So this is the math that will affect an already maxed health system....let's focus on the at risk group, baby boomers.
There were 74 million in the US in 2016. So let's go with that number.
On average let's say 15% get it....11.1 million
5% are critical.....550,000.
We don't have an additional 550,000 beds in the US to care for critical patients...
This is math basis for the thought that we have a pending health care crisis, just like all the other countries.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

I don't disagree with that general thought process and that perspective, actually. But that's not the analysis or perspective I'm hearing anywhere except from you! Maybe you should apply for the task force :)

Last edited:
Damn, I thought this was just a repeat... nope

Public Health confirms four new COVID-19 cases, including one death, bringing total cases in King County to ten
Posted by Sharon Bogan

COVID-19 test results have come back from the Washington State Public Health Laboratory confirming four additional cases of COVID-19 in King County residents. With these four new results, the total number of cases in King County is ten. Today’s results include an additional death, bringing the total number of deaths in King County from COVID-19 to two.

King County Executive’s Office will join local and state public health officials on Monday to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak.

The four new cases are in:

• A female in her 80s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A female in her 90s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The man has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth. He had underlying health conditions and died on 2/29/20.
All of these newly identified cases are among residents of LifeCare, the skilled nursing facility in Kirkland that was previously identified to have two associated cases.

Six other cases, already reported earlier by Public Health, include:

• A man in his 60s, hospitalized at Valley Medical Center in Renton.
  • A man in 60s, hospitalized at Virginia Mason Medical Center.
  • A woman in her 50s, who had traveled to South Korea; recovering at home
  • A woman in her 70s, who was a resident of LifeCare in Kirkland, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth
  • A woman in her 40s, employed by LifeCare, who is hospitalized at Overlake Medical Center
  • A man in his 50s, who was hospitalized and died at EvergreenHealth
So how does this compare to the flu?

Meaning how many are in critical condition or have died during this same time period from this facility from the flu?

3 people- critical condition
1 person - has died

When were they tested and diagnosed? How long before they were deemed critical?
Critical due to respiratory? Organs shutting down? Had to be vented?

Absolutely!
This post should be in major us newspapers!

Add me to the list. I love just hearing about your mom. What an incredible story. Stay well...you and your mother..

My opinion has nothing to do with my personal concerns. My opinion is that the personal concerns are being vastly overblown. My hypothesis is that, as we test more, the mortality rate will actually DECREASE, because people who are barely sick from the virus (which would be MOST people) typically woudn't even bother to get tested. They'd just grab a tissue, some chicken soup and binge-watch netflix for a few days. Agree to disagree. :)

As long as they binge on Netflix until they are fully recovered, that's great. Thing is, most sick people go to work when they are sniffling, coughing and sneezing. They often think that if they feel well enough to show up for a pay check, then nothing else matters. Employers actually expect this as well.

As long as they binge on Netflix until they are fully recovered, that's great. Thing is, most sick people go to work when they are sniffling, coughing and sneezing. They often think that if they feel well enough to show up for a pay check, then nothing else matters. Employers actually expect this as well.
Schools, too (at least college-motivated students tend to feel that way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003