Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you had a good time on your cruise!
What did the doctor say about your cough? I hope you feel better soon.
Great cruise :) but lots of people from my group (about 125 or us) left or got sick right after getting home. I don't go to the doctor unless i'm almost dead.. but we had some that ended up with Flu A,, some with Flu B, bronchitis and Pneumonia, and a few cases of pink eye of all things. My lungs are weak to begin with so i always get a respiratory thing, since i am up late, drink more and lower my immune system. So wasn't a surprise to me... its hung around a LOT longer than normal though. So i am going to go see my reg. doctor this week. 4 weeks is a long time to cough. But i work from home, so i basically self quarantine any time i'm sick.

Absolutely. Those who are confident that the virus will not be a problem for them, or anyone they care about, will carry on as though nothing has changed. I suppose that's what happened in China, Iran, Italy, South Korea, Egypt and other countries with crippled health care systems. Look at the stock market. Is it really a good idea for sick people to infect others simply because it may not be fatal for them?
I'm torn between worrying about myself (mildly I suppose), and my grown kids (more so) who live near and work in the highly densely populated area of Manhattan, and my parents (most of all) who are in their 80's. It's not even a question of looking the other way for me.

A higher overall mortality rate taking all pertinent factors into consideration. I can think of lots of reasons why China's mortality rate would be particulary high. Italy, not so much. But I'm not familiar with the specific region, so that's why I'm curious why the mortality rate is higher there then it is, or is expected to be, in say the UK or the US.

Eta: anyway, we'll see. Just the thread optimist checking in to give y'all some hope :)

34/1694=x/100 (additional 140 in critical condition)
x=2
2% death rate in Italy

Coronavirus Update (Live): 89,072 Cases and 3,053 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Last edited:
Some of us on this thread could very easily die from COVID-19, either because of our age or health conditions or both. I’ve had my pneumonia shots and I get a flu shot every year. But I’m definitely well into the age risk category and have mild asthma. There is no vaccine for this. So I’m more inclined to take precautions and bring in supplies in case my husband and I get stuck for two+ weeks. We have friends who would help us out, but we have other mutual friends who would need more help, so we’d like to be as independent as possible.

If younger ones on the thread who don’t see any risk are disinclined to take precautions and keep traveling, that’s fine. But I would ask that you at least keep your germs and dismissive comments to yourselves (Henny-penny? Seriously?) until we see how this plays out. Then if it turns out to be a big nothingburger, you are welcome to say “I told you so.” :D But in the meantime, I’m taking this seriously, preparing as well as I reasonably can and hoping for the best. My condolences to the families of those who have died worldwide. :(

I think it's prudent for people in high risk categories to protect themselves to the extent they are comfortable. If I was health compromised or elderly, I'd likely feel the same. Maybe not, since I'm the opposite of a worrier by nature, but I totally get it.

But human coronaviruses are common, too. This is just a "novel" one just like any new flu strain. So 1. and 3. would be about the same in either case. Flu vaccines, too, are always hit or miss (mostly miss, imo).

As to the death rate, I just responded to someone else about that. I don't think the original stats are holding up outside of China in the beginning --- and especially in the US. But happy to see the current stats if you know where to look. Afaik, there are 22 cases in the US with 2 deaths. So %'ish percent. And that's not counting the Americans on the cruise ship who survived. I think most of the did, but I could be wrong about that.

eta useful link

Yale New Haven Health | Influenza (Flu) vs Coronaviruses

Coronaviruses may not be new but the ones killing us (Covid, SARS, MERS), come from animals and we aren’t used to them.

Further, if we have less than 80 cases in the US and 2 people have already died here that’s a 2.5 death rate:

Coronavirus: 'Boom' threatens US as global death toll tops 3,000

BREAKING: Washington state reports 4 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 new death, in King County Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Statement from King County Public Health confirming 4 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 new death, at the long-term care facility Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline BNO Newsroom on Twitter

The 4 new cases are all elderly residents with underlying health conditions at the long-term care facility. The man who died was in his 70s. The other 3 are in critical condition.
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Damn, I thought this was just a repeat... nope

Public Health confirms four new COVID-19 cases, including one death, bringing total cases in King County to ten
Posted by Sharon Bogan

COVID-19 test results have come back from the Washington State Public Health Laboratory confirming four additional cases of COVID-19 in King County residents. With these four new results, the total number of cases in King County is ten. Today’s results include an additional death, bringing the total number of deaths in King County from COVID-19 to two.

King County Executive’s Office will join local and state public health officials on Monday to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak.

The four new cases are in:

• A female in her 80s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A female in her 90s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The man has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth. He had underlying health conditions and died on 2/29/20.
All of these newly identified cases are among residents of LifeCare, the skilled nursing facility in Kirkland that was previously identified to have two associated cases.

Six other cases, already reported earlier by Public Health, include:

• A man in his 60s, hospitalized at Valley Medical Center in Renton.
  • A man in 60s, hospitalized at Virginia Mason Medical Center.
  • A woman in her 50s, who had traveled to South Korea; recovering at home
  • A woman in her 70s, who was a resident of LifeCare in Kirkland, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth
  • A woman in her 40s, employed by LifeCare, who is hospitalized at Overlake Medical Center
  • A man in his 50s, who was hospitalized and died at EvergreenHealth

Reuters: WASHINGTON STATE HEALTH OFFICIALS REPORT SECOND U.S. DEATH FROM CORONAVIRUS -STATEMENT
Vincent Lee on Twitter

Public health leaders in King County, Wash., said a man in his 70s with underlying health conditions died on Saturday at EvergreenHealth hospital in Kirkland. That’s the same facility where officials identified the nation’s first coronavirus death on Saturday — a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Second Death From Virus Is Reported in the U.S.

Thank you! I had tried posting of the panic reaction of overbuying only to be met with angry denials. IMO they don't see themselves as hoarding. I, like you am in a rural area, good farm community, and we all help each other. I do wonder if the "henny penny" people are in major cities, where there is not a good community to care about others.

MOO
Nah, people look out for each other in cities, too. We're all human.

Not good news from the state of Washington.
News just now breaking about more cases there and maybe another death. We may have to wait for confirmation from other news sources.

"A second man died from coronavirus in King County, bringing the total to 13 confirmed cases in Washington state."

"Five new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed Sunday evening, including a man in his 70s who was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth and died. Two women, who are in their 80s and 90s, are hospitalized in critical condition at EvergreenHealth. Another man who is in his 70s is hospitalized in critical condition at the same hospital."

Second death from coronavirus marks 13 positive cases in Washington

I'm not currently worried about myself even in NYC - yet - as I've primarily been hanging out spending a severance package, largely avoiding subways, and mostly just meeting grocery delivery people.

But I'm still looking over the food, medicine, etc. and filling in storage gaps, in case I need to hunker down for a few weeks.

If I was in a situation where I had to go out and about to a daily job, aka "a seething petri dish of janky coughing and hacking humanity", anytime soon; I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.

Also, the bright side about living someplace where a billion different people need something is, they may be clearing the shelves out (I have lived through a hurricane and a 3-day blackout with them); but there's also ever-incoming shipments at a faster clip.

I am using the gym's hand sanitizer any time I go to work out; and also making a conscious effort to avoid touching my eyes or nose after, well, anything other than "scrubbing my hands at home". (As a general rule, I rarely use hand sanitizer, as I'm one of those people who wants to avoid having so weakened an immunity as a general rule that I go to a hospital and get carried off by MRSA. This is an exception.)

Damn, I thought this was just a repeat... nope

Public Health confirms four new COVID-19 cases, including one death, bringing total cases in King County to ten
Posted by Sharon Bogan

COVID-19 test results have come back from the Washington State Public Health Laboratory confirming four additional cases of COVID-19 in King County residents. With these four new results, the total number of cases in King County is ten. Today’s results include an additional death, bringing the total number of deaths in King County from COVID-19 to two.

King County Executive’s Office will join local and state public health officials on Monday to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak to discuss the latest cases and the King County response to this outbreak.

The four new cases are in:

• A female in her 80s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A female in her 90s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The woman has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland. The man has underlying health conditions, and is in critical condition
  • A male in his 70s was hospitalized at EvergreenHealth. He had underlying health conditions and died on 2/29/20.
All of these newly identified cases are among residents of LifeCare, the skilled nursing facility in Kirkland that was previously identified to have two associated cases.

Six other cases, already reported earlier by Public Health, include:

• A man in his 60s, hospitalized at Valley Medical Center in Renton.
  • A man in 60s, hospitalized at Virginia Mason Medical Center.
  • A woman in her 50s, who had traveled to South Korea; recovering at home
  • A woman in her 70s, who was a resident of LifeCare in Kirkland, hospitalized at EvergreenHealth
  • A woman in her 40s, employed by LifeCare, who is hospitalized at Overlake Medical Center
  • A man in his 50s, who was hospitalized and died at EvergreenHealth
Yea... me too. I went back to look. This is gonna be bad....worse than the ship....

This just came out in my neck of the woods (Sarasota, FL) I've had a cough for 4 weeks after getting off a cruise.... thing just won't go away.
88965513_10213390963082328_310294099892633600_n.jpg

Be well Kaki!!! We've already had one person on the thread tested as a contact.

And isn't the State of Florida the one that said they were not going to publisize numbers or share that they had cases. Thanks for sharing and SMDH at the governor. I hope your governor changes his mind. Perhaps media will out him and pressure him to be open. Pfffft.

KUDOs to the person that shared that with MSM as I see on thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse