Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. No one has any immunity to this virus as it is new. All flu viruses are genetically similar so there can be some immunity to flu viruses we’ve never been exposed to yet. Which means if we catch the disease it might not kill us.

2. The flu has a .1 % death rate. The coronavirus has at least a 2% death rate.

3. There are no vaccines for the coronavirus. There are multiple vaccines for the flu and even vaccines for unrelated strains provide some immunity due to the genetic similarity.

We could do a list that goes on and on and on

4. It can overwhelm the health care system as it did in China, who has a great system to handle.

"In Italy, roughly 3% of the confirmed number of cases ended in death as of Monday. But the number of new cases jumped early Tuesday to 270, so that has the mortality rate now at 2.6%."
Coronavirus Update: Italy Mortality Rate Similar To China’s

Thanks. Yep. So Italy and China have a somewhat higher mortality rate. Wonder why that is? But not the US and other 1st world countries. :::shrug::: Maybe thatt will change. Anyway, I'm definitely not even slightly concerned about it. I'm much more concerned about what the reaction is in the stock market. If I'm not gonna die from it, I'd like to keep as much of my retirement as possible! lol

As the OP suggested, I got at Dollar Tree in their food aisle. I forgot where the OP also said was in grocery. You would have to ask where UHT/shelf stable milk is for your grocery, sorry. Perhaps they are cruising the thread and can answer.
I found the milk by the juice boxes, they also had yoohoo, nesquick and other flavored milks there. My almond milk there as well.

I think it's problematic that this virus is, in some ways, presented as only fatal for old sick people. A couple of years ago I was at an international conference where a young man earnestly stated that old people should have fewer voting rights because they will die soon and don't really have to live with their decision. Some people have strange ideas about whether older people should be taking up space.

Anyone who was on a specific Qatar Airways flight from Doha to Sydney last week is being urged see a doctor or an emergency department as soon as possible.

It’s feared passengers on flight QR908, who were sitting near a woman later confirmed as the sixth case of coronavirus in NSW, may be at risk.

NSW Health said the woman in her 50s flew from Iran to Sydney via Qatar on February 23.

Her symptoms began within 24 hours of landing, but the woman did not visit hospital until six days later.

In a press conference this morning NSW health minister Brad Hazzard said the government will contact the various people sitting near her.
Passengers on Qatar Airways flight from Doha to Sydney last week urged to go to hospital over virus fears

But human coronaviruses are common, too. This is just a "novel" one just like any new flu strain. So 1. and 3. would be about the same in either case. Flu vaccines, too, are always hit or miss (mostly miss, imo).

As to the death rate, I just responded to someone else about that. I don't think the original stats are holding up outside of China in the beginning --- and especially in the US. But happy to see the current stats if you know where to look. Afaik, there are 22 cases in the US with 2 deaths. So %'ish percent. And that's not counting the Americans on the cruise ship who survived. I think most of the did, but I could be wrong about that.

eta useful link

Yale New Haven Health | Influenza (Flu) vs Coronaviruses

22 cases and 2 deaths.
2/22 = x/100
x=9
9% death rate in the USA today?

66 cases and 2 deaths
2/66=x/100
x=3
3% including all infected people in the USA today?

Australian stocks have dived more than 2 per cent in early trade, extending their losses for a seventh trading day as the coronavirus spreads and wiping an estimated $44 billion from them market.
The S&P/ASX200 index was down 140.4 points, or 2.18 per cent, at 6300.8 at 10.15am while the broader All Ordinaries index plummeted 147.3 points, or 2.26 per cent, to 6364.2 points.
The ASX result comes after US stocks fell on Friday after the Australian share market suffered its worst day in over four years, closing the day at a six-month low due to fears about the impact of the coronavirus on global growth.
Australian shares plunge again as coronavirus spreads

I think it's problematic that this virus is, in some ways, presented as only fatal for old sick people. A couple of years ago I was at an international conference where a young man earnestly stated that old people should have fewer voting rights because they will die soon and don't really have to live with their decision. Some people have strange ideas about whether older people should be taking up space.

I certainly understand the concern about that attitude toward the elderly in the healthcare context, but in the case of the flu and this virus, it's true. So in the context of discussing whether people in little danger of contracting a serious illness should be cancelling travel plans and buying stores out of face masks, it makes sense to stress that fact. jmo

But human coronaviruses are common, too. This is just a "novel" one just like any new flu strain. So 1. and 3. would be about the same in either case. Flu vaccines, too, are always hit or miss (mostly miss, imo).

As to the death rate, I just responded to someone else about that. I don't think the original stats are holding up outside of China in the beginning --- and especially in the US. But happy to see the current stats if you know where to look. Afaik, there are 22 cases in the US with 2 deaths. So %'ish percent. And that's not counting the Americans on the cruise ship who survived. I think most of the did, but I could be wrong about that.

eta useful link

You may find the article I posted earlier about the 1918 flu to be helpful in gaining perspective. "Just a flu" is really not a useful guideline since some flu strains do things like what happened in 1918.

How the Horrific 1918 Flu Spread Across America | History | Smithsonian Magazine

eta useful link

I would suggest you follow Dr. John Campbell to understand more that perhaps we can explain on the threads. The one I posted just above is a good one to start with, yet it will take time for viewing. It takes quite a learning curve for folks.

CDC lab for coronavirus test kits may have been contaminated

Lab for coronavirus test kits may have been contaminated

Doesn't reveal how the kits may have been contaminated but does say that the US could have used the WHO test as 57 other countries have but nope, not even after it was clear it couldn't work...others on twitter have asked if a state could now decide to use the WHO test rather than wait for whatever the CDC decides to do...

Surely only until they are old people themselves. No words!

Satellite images released by NASA and the European Space Agency reveal that air pollution over China has gone down since the coronavirus outbreak.
Production in many factories has been halted and transportation has been restricted in order to prevent spreading the virus. In mainland China, tens of thousands of cases have been confirmed with more than 2,700 dead.
From January 1-20 the images show higher levels of nitrogen dioxide over China, but from February 10-25, traces of the gas are hardly visible.
Coronavirus: NASA images show a decrease in China's pollution related to shutdown

(Reuters) - China's central Hubei province, the epicenter of the country's coronavirus outbreak, reported less than 200 cases of new infections for the first time since January.

Hubei had 196 new confirmed cases on Sunday, the National Health Commission said on Monday, sharply down from 570 cases a day earlier and the lowest since Jan. 24.

The decline was driven by a decline in new cases in the provincial capital of Wuhan, which reported 193 new infections, the lowest since Jan. 26.

Hubei, epicenter of China's coronavirus outbreak, reports sharp drop in new cases

U of T public Health

Iran said it has fewer than 100 #coronavirus cases last week. “Things just don’t add up,” says our Prof. @AshTuite. Iran’s coronavirus outbreak makes no sense. What’s really going on? | WIRED UK via @wired
"Given it takes some time from being infected to a person dying, you’re not expecting to see deaths as a first sign.."
#COVID19 U of T Public Health on Twitter
U of T Public Health on Twitter

Yep, scary in California as to deaths and what this means for sure!

BREAKING: Washington state reports 4 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 new death, in King County Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Statement from King County Public Health confirming 4 new cases of coronavirus, including 1 new death, at the long-term care facility Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline BNO Newsroom on Twitter

The 4 new cases are all elderly residents with underlying health conditions at the long-term care facility. The man who died was in his 70s. The other 3 are in critical condition.
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_205231.png
    IMG_20200301_205231.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200301_205237.png
    IMG_20200301_205237.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online