Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things that happened over the weekend are bad news for the stock market in US when it opens. #1, all the new countries and spreading and even in US #2 The Chinese manufacturing index which was released over the weekend (For those that were on thread Feb, recall they didn't release the numbers, and said they would hold off till March 1....well, they did. And lower than even expected)

Off a cliff.

This is what the world does NOT want to happen. Domino effect and supply chain interruptions for major world/US businesses. China, South Korea, etc...

MPIChina.JPG

Here is curve in past year over year

Yearoveryear.JPG

China NBS Manufacturing PMI | 2005-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Calendar

@Boytwnmom this is the real thing as to supply chain fallout you were talking about

Last edited:
More on the COVID-19 situation in Washington state
Via The Guardian, more on the situation at Lakeland: Coronavirus: Washington state nursing home placed on lockdown. This is going to be an enormous occupational health and safety issue for caregivers and first responders. Excerpt:

Dr Jeff Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King county, said on Saturday officials were investigating the situation at the facility and “would not be surprised to find additional cases”. A team of about 10 officials from the CDC traveled to Washington state to work with local health experts. “We are very concerned about an outbreak in a setting where there are many older people, as we would be wherever people who are susceptible might be gathering,” said Duchin. More than two dozen firefighters and police officers in Kirkland who have responded to calls at the Life Care Center over the last few weeks have been placed under quarantine, according to the city government. They are either at home or at a fire station. “None of them are presenting any symptoms and we hope they will be tested and cleared soon,” city manager Kurt Triplett said. A group of about 16 nursing students and one faculty member from the Lake Washington Institute of Technology visited the Life Care Center late last week, Dr Amy Morrison, president of the college, said in a statement. As of Saturday evening, school officials were awaiting instructions from public health officials. “The safety of our students, faculty and staff is our priority, so as a precautionary measure, we are disinfecting the college campus tomorrow,” Morrison said. Over the last few days, local officials reported four coronavirus cases in King county, which includes Seattle, including the man in his 50s who died. The patient, who was not immediately identified, was the first reported US death associated with the coronavirus. He was chronically ill and had no history of travel to affected areas or contact with a known Covid-19 case, officials said. Health officials said on Saturday they did not see any connection between the man who died and the nursing facility, but they were still investigating how those patients contracted the virus. On Sunday, state health officials reported two new cases in King county. A man in his 60s with underlying health conditions was reported to be in “critical but stable condition” while another man in his 60s, also with underlying health conditions, was in critical condition. One unidentified Washington state patient reportedly works for the US Postal Service. According to Kiro 7, a local news station, the man worked at a Seattle Network Distribution Center and no mail was sent out from the facility.

More on the COVID-19 situation in Washington state

At this point I don’t care how it makes people feel, frankly. I have asthma. But I have to go out in public. I’m wearing a mask. I’m hedging my bets.

My cough-variant asthma is pretty much under control with daily prophylactic use of ProAir and Qvar, but I don't take chances any more in closed environments like airplanes. I always have surgical masks/gloves in my carry-on bag and use both if/when needed. Do what you need to do for your own health. Be well.

Coronavirus update:
- 88,583 confirmed cases worldwide
- 3,043 fatalities
- 7,354 in serious/critical condition
- 45,054 recovered
- 64 countries reporting cases
- First cases today: Scotland, Dominican Republic, Armenia, Czech Republic

No one where I work is taking this seriously at all. People walk around open mouth coughing all over everything and they are sending a large group of students and staff to Bali in April, Germany in May and South Africa in June.

@gitana1, please consider checking with your doctor. We checked today for a family member that has asthma and was told to not have them wear the N95. Their asthma is fairly severe but please check out your situation before donning the heavier duty masks. Be well!

I wear them a lot for housework and woodwork, landscaping. They save me. When I don’t wear them I get asthma. And I reuse them A LOT.

BREAKING: New York state reports first case of coronavirus Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

I'm looking for another source....not sure of location.

Confirmed....

NY State reports first positive case of #COVID19. Woman in late 30s who was traveling to Iran. Isolated in her home. Has respiratory symptoms, but not in serious condition.
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

New York state has its 1st confirmed coronavirus case: Cuomo

I wonder what "controlled situation" means?

Thank you! I had tried posting of the panic reaction of overbuying only to be met with angry denials. IMO they don't see themselves as hoarding. I, like you am in a rural area, good farm community, and we all help each other. I do wonder if the "henny penny" people are in major cities, where there is not a good community to care about others.

MOO

Planning for all possible outcomes is not panicking. Ensuring that there are 2 weeks supply of food in the cupboards is not hoarding.

The virus has no borders. It doesn't matter where people live. If the virus is in the area, everyone will self-isolate to protect themselves from the possibility local infection. Besides, isn't it true that farmers usually have supplies on hand year round? I grew up in the country and our freezer was full of garden veggies and fruits, animal bits and so on?

I was out for more supplies, CVS and Ralph's.
In an area with a very high Asian population, I was surprised that there was plenty of everything other than hand sanitizer. A lot of water was missing from the shelves though.
Since I'm not an avid cook and am vegetarian, I bought packages of both Boost and Ensure.
Hey, it's got protein and it stores well.
@whitelilac , Boost and Ensure are wise selections in my opinion. Wish I'd bought more of them than Trail Mix.

I've just read a thread on my FB newsfeed in which someone asked the question:

"So heading to Disney on March 20th with my best friend - we are doing a girls weekend with just our daughter.s. What are people’s thoughts with the whole Coronivirus...." (the fact that they can't spell it should have told me not to read the thread LOL)

The responses were all pretty much the same (go, it's no big deal), but 2 in particular stood out:

"You have a better chance of getting the flu or food poisoning."

"Taking my 5 year old twins on a cruise in 31 days. It’s crossed my mind as a minor concern, but haven’t considered canceling even a little bit."

That would be me. Except I'd spell it correctly. I still have no idea why this is being treated like some kind of huge national health crisis in the US when it's just another flu. I haven't seen one thing to distinguish it from any others in any significant way accept possibly the longevity of the virus on surfaces. In fact, it seems like the symptoms in non-health-compromised indidividuals are reported as being rather mild. Runny nose, fever, cough, and so on. jmo

No one where I work is taking this seriously at all. People walk around open mouth coughing all over everything and they are sending a large group of students and staff to Bali in April, Germany in May and South Africa in June.

That angers me. Put this virus aside. Why do people think it’s okay to expose others to their colds and flus? I’m meticulous about not infecting others. It’s so selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo