Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that many people under some age, maybe 35, don't read the news. Even Trump spelled it "caronavirus." Most people will probably be very relaxed about the virus until there's an over-night local outbreak.
Agreed....seeing it with daughter and son in law....I'm thinking 5 steps ahead to shortages and they haven't moved to the possibility yet....

When the Ukraine airline was shot down in Iran there were many Canadians on board. Due to their travels home to see family I believe. So Canada has many Iranians who are also Canadian citizens correct? How to prevent citizens from coming back to their home?...Though I do believe there should at least be some testing and perhaps a period of quarantine at first. JMO

Yes and no. Many plane crash victims were scholars and researchers who found a way to remain in Canada working at post-secondary institutions. However, if I recall correctly, Iran does not allow dual citizenship, so perhaps they were Iranians with some sort of landed immigrant status.

Genetic clues hint at hidden virus cases in Washington state

The coronavirus may have been circulating for weeks undetected in Washington state, a preliminary finding that could mean hundreds of undiagnosed cases.
Response to flu study released by Travis Bradford....

STATEMENT ON SEATTLE FLU STUDY PRELIMINARY FINDINGS
The Snohomish Health District is aware of the preliminary findings released by the Seattle Flu Study, suggesting that coronavirus has been spreading for close to six weeks. We are still evaluating the findings with our state and local partners and coordinating on next steps.

It’s important to remember that national testing capabilities have only been available for about six weeks. Here in Washington, we’ve only had the ability to test locally for a few days. It is definitely possible that COVID-19 has been circulating, with people experiencing mild symptoms just like the flu.

Snohomish Health District, WA

I began stocking up three weeks ago, made several trips each week to Walmart, Dollar store, grocery stores and placed Amazon orders. And....stocked up on prescription meds. Once a week, I made a very quick, very early morning trip to grocery to purchase produce.
It seems to be related to the part of the country...I just saw on World News Tonight a line of folks with their shopping carts at a Seattle Costco that was wrapped around outside the building. Yikes!

It's not anything like that here in South Jersey. I went to Shop Rite Friday and DH went to Acme yesterday - no problems, no lines, no decrease in inventory. But I bet as soon as word gets out, or people see how it is in Seattle and CA, it will happen here too.

I grew up with stories of the depression and WWII. The American people still had it pretty good-no war on our streets but plenty of deprivation and uncertainty-beating Hitler was not a given. Many Americans today have basically known nothing but abundance and "shop" as a hobby. You can order any food or groceries and have it delivered at your command. I worry that we're so "spoiled" people will not be able to react calmly to any deprivation. I so hope I'm wrong.
Snipped.

I have had the same thoughts - and grew up hearing the same stories. I'm not panicked too much about "stuff." I don't even need that much in the kitchen (besides coffee, duh), but the staples. You can make plenty of things with just some basics in the house - and basics are usually not expensive - and not even feel deprived.

What also concerns me is money - many people don't have any buffer to last a few weeks or months if they have to. It used to be basic advice to build up a few month's worth of savings and hang on to it but I'm not sure that advice is so popular anymore.

People are tough, though. I have faith (though I have momentary doubts when I see some reactions, tbh, but just for a moment).

jmo

Last edited:
Just chiming in on my Costco run today. We live in King County, Washington. We just planned on doing our regular weekly Costco shopping, and it was busier than I had ever seen it. For some reason, there were also more children than I think I've ever seen it there, not sure why.

Costco was out of:
Kirkland Toilet Paper
Clorox Cleaner
Disinfectant Wipes
Hand Gel
Thermometers
Meat Case Low
They couldn't keep up with those rotisserie chickens for some reason, long lines for those.

FWIW. Be careful out there, folks!

Interesting. I was at Costco today, nothing was low, no shortages of anything. It actually surprised me that there are tons of gloves, disinfectant, toilet paper. They even had thermometers, I bought one.

I managed to spend plenty of money. I didn't worry about anything running out. Although, there was no "Better Than Bouillon" chicken broth. This is in Montana.

Response to flu study released by Travis Bradford....

STATEMENT ON SEATTLE FLU STUDY PRELIMINARY FINDINGS
The Snohomish Health District is aware of the preliminary findings released by the Seattle Flu Study, suggesting that coronavirus has been spreading for close to six weeks. We are still evaluating the findings with our state and local partners and coordinating on next steps.

It’s important to remember that national testing capabilities have only been available for about six weeks. Here in Washington, we’ve only had the ability to test locally for a few days. It is definitely possible that COVID-19 has been circulating, with people experiencing mild symptoms just like the flu.

Snohomish Health District, WA

:rollercoaster: :rollercoaster: :rollercoaster:

for those that remember our old emoticons here.

CEA317C7-0A9D-4A00-85C6-229A81D91128.jpeg

Hundreds of on-edge shoppers packed a Brooklyn Costco on Sunday to stock up on water, rice and other supplies amid fears of a coronavirus epidemic.

Panicked purchasers — many of them wearing face masks — jammed into the Sunset Park warehouse, eagerly grabbing cases of bottled water in case they’re forced to quarantine at home as the virus spreads in the US.

The corona virus has them panicked… they think the world is coming to an end,” the store’s manager, who would only give his name as Jerry, told The Post.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/nypo...tock-up-at-costco-amid-coronavirus-fears/amp/

I'm still confused about buying water for an epidemic or pandemic. Is that for places where tap water is not clean enough to drink? It doesn't really make sense that there would be a power outage during a virus outbreak.

I'm still confused about buying water for an epidemic or pandemic. Is that for places where tap water is not clean enough to drink? It doesn't really make sense that there would be a power outage during a virus outbreak.

I think some of it is cutting and pasting from standard emergency preparation advice.

Nextstrain

We've updated auspice with a new Australian #SARSCoV2 genome sampled Feb28 - thanks to @jseden1 & NSW Health Pathology - ICPMR at Westmead Hospital for rapid data sharing. 1/2 Nextstrain on Twitter

Importantly, both the Canadian & Australian isolates from the above screenshot have recent travel history to Iran. auspice. 2/2

Both see connected to a Chinese strain.

Nextstrain on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_192048.png
    IMG_20200301_192048.png
    12 KB · Views: 7
Survival Tater Tots - OMG I laughed so hard. First time that I have heard of those. I am surprised but glad to know that I am not the only one who might dip into certain stockpiled food items. You know, the ones that are yummy. I don't have to worry about the rice, pasta, beans, etc. That stuff will be there forever!
I put all our "survival" goodies in a bin and placed the bin in the basement. Hope my usual out-of-sight/out-of mind" kicks in. Perhaps I should have told DH to hide it, or take it to his office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMpavashootski