Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus explained: What are the chances I will die? How do I avoid it? Is it all a big fuss over nothing? World experts answer your questions

Coronavirus explained: What are the chances I will die? How do I avoid it? | Daily Mail Online

This is interesting ... from the link:

"But really, don’t more people die each year from falling down stairs than will be killed by coronavirus?

More people do die in a year falling on stairs in the UK – 787 last year – than die of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, which killed 428. Few would argue that HIV is trivial, or not something to avoid.

At present, it is believed that one per cent of Covid-19 cases die. But this makes it as deadly as the 1918 ‘Spanish’ flu – one of the worst pandemics known, thought to have killed up to 50million worldwide."​

That would be me. Except I'd spell it correctly. I still have no idea why this is being treated like some kind of huge national health crisis in the US when it's just another flu. I haven't seen one thing to distinguish it from any others in any significant way accept possibly the longevity of the virus on surfaces. In fact, it seems like the symptoms in non-health-compromised indidividuals are reported as being rather mild. Runny nose, fever, cough, and so on. jmo
Much higher death rate than your regular flu.

Upon suggestion of someone here (thanks whoever it was) I did a quick run yesterday to get UHT (ultrahigh temperature pasteurization) shelf stable WHOLE milk. I love my milk. I got "quite a bit"... empty shelf afterwards :oops: . Another poster suggested Far East Toasted Pine nut Couscous... got that too. I just don't think I would prefer to do Boost and Ensure, or condensed milk.
Where is that milk located in the stores?

@Chelly: I saw your post on the previous thread about DH's trip to Costco. Since I can't respond on that thread, may I direct you to post #1041 wherein I share details of DH's Costco experience today. Thanks for asking :)
Thanks BDE. I did see your post #1041 and thank you for sharing your DH's experience.

That would be me. Except I'd spell it correctly. I still have no idea why this is being treated like some kind of huge national health crisis in the US when it's just another flu. I haven't seen one thing to distinguish it from any others in any significant way accept possibly the longevity of the virus on surfaces. In fact, it seems like the symptoms in non-health-compromised indidividuals are reported as being rather mild. Runny nose, fever, cough, and so on. jmo

1. No one has any immunity to this virus as it is new. All flu viruses are genetically similar so there can be some immunity to flu viruses we’ve never been exposed to yet. Which means if we catch the disease it might not kill us.

2. The flu has a .1 % death rate. The coronavirus has at least a 2% death rate.

3. There are no vaccines for the coronavirus. There are multiple vaccines for the flu and even vaccines for unrelated strains provide some immunity due to the genetic similarity.

Last edited:
Things seem to have escalated a bit in Houston area since Friday night when I was out shopping.

HEB limiting how many sanitizers, wipes, customers can buy

We are almost done with our preparing. Feed store was out of chicken/duck feed and I need shavings to keep on hand. Horses and geese have enough supplies. Barn and coops got a thorough cleaning yesterday. Making a big batch of sauerkraut soup for DH and chicken and rice soup for me for the week. Hopefully a little immunity boost from some homemade soups, although I’m not sure how helpful sauerkraut, potatoes and sausage are when it comes to immunity.

Last edited:
Much higher death rate than your regular flu.

In China, at the beginning, I saw that --- maybe. I think it was 1.something% v. 2.something% I haven't seen any accurate statistics showing a higher death rate since then -- especially among otherwise healthy adults in the US. Maybe Italy would be one? Happy to see them if you know where to look though. Thanks

1. No one has any immunity to this virus as it is new. All flu viruses are genetically similar so there can be some immunity to flu viruses we’ve never been exposed to yet. Which means if we catch the disease it might not kill us.

2. The flu has a .1 % death rate. The coronavirus has at least a 2% death rate.

3. There are no vaccines for the coronavirus. There are multiple vaccines for the flu and even vaccines for unrelated strains provide some immunity to the genetic similarity.

But human coronaviruses are common, too. This is just a "novel" one just like any new flu strain. So 1. and 3. would be about the same in either case. Flu vaccines, too, are always hit or miss (mostly miss, imo).

As to the death rate, I just responded to someone else about that. I don't think the original stats are holding up outside of China in the beginning --- and especially in the US. But happy to see the current stats if you know where to look. Afaik, there are 22 cases in the US with 2 deaths. So %'ish percent. And that's not counting the Americans on the cruise ship who survived. I think most of the did, but I could be wrong about that.

eta useful link

Yale New Haven Health | Influenza (Flu) vs Coronaviruses

In China, at the beginning, I saw that --- maybe. I think it was 1.something% v. 2.something% I haven't seen any accurate statistics showing a higher death rate since then -- especially among otherwise healthy adults in the US. Maybe Italy would be one? Happy to see them if you know where to look though. Thanks

Wait a couple of weeks, and perhaps there will some death stats for the USA. Until then, some will accept international stats.

If you look at the daily new case and death rates out of China it’s a 3% death rate there.

Where is that milk located in the stores?

As the OP suggested, I got at Dollar Tree in their food aisle. I forgot where the OP also said was in grocery. You would have to ask where UHT/shelf stable milk is for your grocery, sorry. Perhaps they are cruising the thread and can answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214