Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
thought i'd give you all a weird update on the toilet paper situation in Australia

we went out this evening after unsuccessful getting toilet paper the night before from another super market closer to our house and went to the bigger mall nearby

there were literally people running to the toilet paper isle and just grabbing over other people for toilet paper, lucky i got there in time and was able to get 2 packs for our house and i left 4 others that were left for someone else ( they were snapped up within seconds of my back turning)
i actually helped an old lady get two of the last 4x packs of toilet paper she said she had gone on the bus to 3 different shopping centers to try get some, so i held them for her and carried them to the counter for her

one of the hardest things to obtain right now in the corona virus craziness is jasmine rice in any size i wanted a 5kg because our old one ran out and i can't even find a 1kg anywhere at the 5 places we tried last night

our super markets have now issued a statement saying they are limiting rice to 1 x 5kg per person per day as they've had people buying 5-10 large 5kg bags in one go and leaving nothing for anyone else

the incredible amount of greed and selfishness is just insane, to me its not how Australians act and its not in the Australian way

i feel like everyone needs to chill out, only take what you actually need for a 14 day period at most and leave something for someone else don't be greedy, think of the pensioners or the elderly or low income households who can't stockpile and might need just 1 of a product to get through

and remember the Australian way / Australian spirit is to help each other in a crisis and not to just think of yourself its always been this way and its what our ANZAC soldiers fought for, people need a reality check

Getting my Colorado Resources together:

Colorado / Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

“In an effort to keep schools updated on the virus, the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE) is the official resource for information about the COVID-19. Visit CDPHE Website for up to date information and/or resources about Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Zoom & Click Interactive Map: US Schools & Local Health Contacts

The schoolsafety.net website features an interactive map showing all U.S. schools and local health contacts. Use the zoom-and-click map of the homepage of the website to explore any school district or county in the nation and bring up information about any public school, private school, Head Start program, community college, 4-year college or university. Local health contacts on the map include hospitals, community health centers, mental health treatment facilities, and drug and alcohol treatment facilities. School Safety Network was created and is maintained in Colorado by School Safety Partners.”

—-

Colorado's COVID-19 testing falling way short of capacity
March 3, 2020

“DENVER — The headlines all say Colorado now has the capacity to test upwards of 160 samples per day for the new strain of coronavirus known as COVID-19, but so far the state lab has yet to test anywhere near that number, according to state health officials interviewed by 9Wants to Know.”

—-

How are Colorado employers preparing for a potential outbreak of COVID-19 in the state?
March 4, 2020

—-

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Colorado
COVID-19 in Colorado Test Results

As of end-of-day March 3, 2020 - updated Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Positive

Negative

Pending

Total tests*

*Numbers are cumulative since Jan. 23, 2020 and include test results from both CDC and the state.
To date, 14 tests were conducted at CDC. All current testing is being done by the state lab.

Resources for local public health agencies and health care providers

Information for all Coloradans

Though Colorado currently has no known cases of COVID-19, we are preparing for the possibility the virus spreads in the state, and we are doing everything possible to limit and slow the spread if we get cases.

This is a rapidly changing situation, and it’s hard to predict exactly how COVID-19 may affect our communities. What we’re seeing in other areas tells us that once spread is detected in a community, numbers can increase quickly. Given that, our recommendations may change just as quickly.

How you can help?

Everyone has a part to play in slowing the spread of this disease if it comes to Colorado.

Stay informed with current information from reliable sources

As new information emerges from across the globe, please remember that the risk of COVID-19 is not at all connected with race, ethnicity, or nationality. Blaming others will not help fight the illness. Seeking and sharing accurate information during a time of heightened concern is one of the best things we can do to keep rumors and misinformation from spreading.

• People who have general questions about coronavirus disease 2019 can call CO HELP at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 or email them at COHELP@RMPDC.org, for answers in English and Spanish (Español), Mandarin (普通话), and more.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Colorado

—-

Local Preparation and Coordination
Currently, the Denver Department of Public Health & Environment is coordinating with other local public health agencies, Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE), and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) to ensure accurate information is provided to the public, healthcare and other service providers, and Denver International Airport staff and visitors. We are relying on plans already in place for identifying, responding to, and isolating possible Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases within Denver to reduce our risk of a local outbreak.

DDPHE is working with city leadership to ensure that other social distancing measures would be implemented if we see a local outbreak with community transmission, such as limiting large gatherings and encouraging employers to allow for teleworking whenever possible. Clearly, we are not there yet.

DDPHE continues to encourage people to follow the same guidance we all know for reducing your risk of getting any respiratory virus: wash your hands frequently—particularly before eating, touching your mouth, nose or eyes, stay home from work or school when you are sick, and clean high-touch surfaces frequently. More specific preventative guidance is detailed below.

Most importantly, please note that currently the risk of transmission of the Novel Coronavirus to the public and the first responder community in Denver is low at this time.”

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Department of Public Health and Environment | City and County of Denver

Last edited:
Henry's post bears repeating- possibly 1 million
cases within 5-6 weeks unless mandatory quarantines enacted. Early-Mid April doomsday.
Do you think, 1 million infected in 7 to 8 weeks, in U.S. is a reasonable projection?
@H
Possibly 5 to 6 weeks. Both China and South Korea demonstrated an R0 of 2.0 or so. The graphs attached show a projection for each, with the Chinese graph BEFORE they were able to flatten the curve with their actions. It runs to 1.0 million in 5 to 6 weeks. Left unchecked with no mandated quarantines, the US will suffer.

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; border-radius: 5px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16.64px; background: url("styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png") 50% 0% repeat-x rgb(245, 209, 161);">

I can't tell ya how many things I've tried and had to discard because they burn the tops of my hands. Soooo I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some too. :) I absolutely love it and it doesn't burn!! Thanks a million for the tip. I vote that you should get a comission!
I just ordered some for my daughter. She is a swimmer and her hands get so dry. She likes Bach's Rescue Cream, but it's a bit pricey and not that easy to find. I ordered some Medline to test out. (She will get a kick out of knowing it is "Websleuths endorsed." lol!)

@JerseyGirl I’m tagging you for review.

There are 2 women currently on the Grand Princess cruise ship (the one waiting to dock in San Francisco right now) and the women have started a YouTube channel similar to David and Sally Abel.

I won’t post it directly at this point, but the link to their channel can be found through @Kron4news if you go here: Twitter. You may have to click on “see more replies”. (ETA: Hmm, so that didn’t work for me when I just tried it...maybe try this Twitter.... ugh that’s not working either. Darn it, here is link to YouTube that can be traced back to KRON4news:
)

I could only watch the first half.... I kind of have no words at the moment :eek:

JerseyGirl, let me know if ok to discuss. I know videos like this are usually not allowed but given the nature of this “case” and the Abel’s updates I thought this was ok.

That's fine with me. We can follow along these two and post updates from their YT channel. We allowed the Abel's, and Ben, and some of Chen Qiushi, the original "citizen journalist".

BTW - Chen Qiushi has still not resurfaced and the youtube channel I was following for updates was taken down by the Chinese government.

Last edited:
rsbm
BTW - Chen Qiushi was still not resurfaced and the youtube channel I was following for updates was taken down by the Chinese government.

Man...

Not surprised, unfortunately. :(

I suspect a few things may have happened. Let’s hope there is good news soon on that. People from all over have eyes on this, specifically Chinese citizens. This could end up having certain potential implications and/or conspiracies that may be hard to prove, if they do in fact exist, moo. We will see.

I don’t have a good feeling at all about it, I’ll tell you that. If he’s alive, the potential conditions under which he is being held are certainly worrisome, imo.

(Shudder)

* I want to hear from the Chinese government on this.

They might be able to censor Chinaese press about CQ and Fang Bin, etc, (which btw it’s amazing to see Chinese citizens speaking out on SM - I see long existing political climates evolving as we speak as a result of all this), but good luck with trying to censor every other nation in the world.

Quick reference for recent folks joining us:

Another citizen journalist covering the coronavirus has gone missing in Wuhan
February 12, 2020

-much more on the subject if you google

Last edited:
Yeah. Only the phlebotomist today at the doctor’s was wearing a mask. And maybe a nurse’s assistant. But my doctor wasn’t and none of the nurses I saw were. But again, my doctor said the masks are useless. Even the N95’s.
Ironically, the only staff member wearing a mask when I visited the doc and the lab Monday was the lab tech, who drew my blood. The doc did use hand sanitizer before shaking my hand, however. And before using instruments (stethoscope, otoscope, etc).

Yes, the doctor did shake my hand before I realized what was happening - I let her.

I think health officials are the ones identifying and reaching out to contacts, based on info provided by the patient...rather than people contacting the health officials, unless they know for sure they had contact because the contact told them. But if you tested positive, can you imagine trying to remember everywhere you had been in the past 2-3 weeks?! Every random contact at the quick stop or coffee kiosk? I guess we all need to start keeping diaries.

I thought about that also. Thank goodness I have a droid phone that has google tracker on it so I can merely go into such to find where/when I was. (Learned about that from WS in a case!) I think that's what the Chinese were using an app for to trace contacts (and monitor movements of some?)

Japan’s government will quarantine all people arriving from South Korea and China for two weeks at medical facilities: Yomiuri
(I'm crying...)
【独自】中国と韓国からの入国者全員を停留・隔離へ…政府方針 : 政治 : ニュース : 読売新聞オンライン 【独自】中韓からの入国者全員を停留・隔離へ…政府方針 : 政治 : ニュース

Min-Jeong Lee 이민정 on Twitter

I wonder what numbers we are talking about here. I guess they have enough now that they didn't have for the Princess.

An interesting concept though lol. A way to keep folks out of the country without saying we are shutting our borders/travel. A way around it. It will keep out 99.99% of folks iykwim.

Ok I just really figured something out.

Today I noticed my face is more noticeably plump from last week (excessive tator tots, ice cream, etc.).

While it’s important to have these goodies to keep ourselves sane (I personally have no intention of being without chocolate during this outbreak as I hate that “squirrel on crack” feeling), it might be better to buy more things at the store this time that are nutritious, that I will only eat when I’m really hungry (not a new concept to me by any means but I sure didn’t practice it last week). Not only did my choices of grocery items last week not last long at all budget-wise, but I also ate a bunch of junk, more than I normally do.

So, my point is that I’m going in for my last round of shopping soon and thinking about what I’ll try to buy this time. Last week was an epic failure.

I’ve decided that my focus this week is going to be frozen vegetables and other healthy things, in addition to some treats (perhaps more “fruit based”). We need to take care of ourselves. The last few days I haven’t felt the greatest (which instigated a major hypochondriac episode btw), and I think it’s because I’m stressed and run down (at least I hope that’s the reason :eek:). This journey has been quite intense, to say the least. But, I finally got a LOT of uninterrupted and much needed rest and feel so much better. We have already talked about the negative effect of stress, etc.

Additionally, while it’s important of course to keep up with the evolving news, especially in one’s area, it’s also good to step away from it for a bit. I’ve noticed this twice now, how much better I feel after stepping away for a while. Some of us can get sucked into this stuff beyond obsession (raises hand).

My advice: Take a breather, step away from the computer for an extended period of time, and do something completely unrelated to anything that may trigger thoughts about the “coronavirus”. It can be hard to do sometimes when you’re “all wrapped up in it” and stuff is hitting the fan, but sometimes it is much needed.
At the risk of advertising a certain brand, I like to supplement with drinks that can fill you up and provide health support as well...no not alcohol.

I stock up on (normally do anyway) BAI antioxidant infusion drinks. They are sweetened with Stevia, so only 10 calories a bottle. Also contain coffee fruit and white tea extract, both considered antioxidants. Many excellent flavors - watermelon and mango are my favorites.

At risk of sounding like a commercial for this product, my aim is merely to suggest a way to stay healthy, happy, and filled up without resorting to extreme carb and sugar overload (no puffy faces). If, of course, that is one of anyone's personal objectives.

Cheers and drink, as my (almost) 3 year old grandson now says.

Timeline (GMT)
5 March
  • 12:47: 10 new cases in Norway. (Source)
  • 12:30: 21 new cases in Greece. (Source)
  • 12:27: 3 new cases in Azerbaijan. (Source)
  • 12:23: 7 new cases in Singapore. (Source)
  • 12:19: 3 new cases in Saudi Arabia. (Source)
  • 12:07: 1 new preliminary confirmed case in Quebec, Canada. (Source)
  • 11:54: First case in South Africa. (Source)
  • 11:52: 1 new case in Egypt. (Source)
  • 11:35: 8 new cases in Iceland. (Source)
  • 11:22: 6 new cases in Spain. (Source)
  • 11:05: 5 new cases in Malaysia. (Source)
  • 10:38: 7 new deaths in South Korea. (Source)
  • 10:34: 27 new cases in Belgium. (Source)
  • 10:25: 8 new cases in Sweden. (Source)
  • 10:20: 591 new cases and 15 new deaths in Iran. (Source)
  • 10:16: 40 new cases and 1 new death in Spain. (Source)
  • 09:42: 87 new cases in Germany. (Source)
  • 09:09: 1 new case in India. (Source)
  • 08:53: 1 new case in Bosnia and Herzegovina. (Source)
  • 08:52: First death in Switzerland. (Source)
  • 08:50: 3 new cases in Scotland, UK. (Source)
  • 08:49: 5 new cases in Finland. (Source)
Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

That's the opposite advice I've heard in USA. DON'T go to the ER but to your regular doc.

jmo

The company I work for has clinics in 30 states. We are NOT seeing patients who exhibit CV symptoms or who have traveled outside of the country in the past 30 days.

Clinic staff have instructions to hand the patient a mask and direct them to the nearest ER.

On Thursday the NT News, the Darwin-based newspaper with a national reputation for its headlines and antics, printed a special eight-page insert that can be cut into toilet paper.

Its editor, Matt Williams, told Guardian Australia the paper was selling well and was “certainly not a crappy edition”.

“We are a newspaper known around the world who understands the needs of our readers,” he said. “Territorians … are in great need of toilet paper right now so we had to deliver what they needed.”

The stunt comes after supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths have been besieged by shoppers clearing their shelves of loo paper and hand sanitiser.

Coronavirus: Australian newspaper prints extra pages to help out in toilet paper shortage | Australian media | The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773