Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cold and flu season. People are coughing and sneezing all over the place. It's not really culture in US to stay home unless you have some serious symptoms. Probably because nobody will pay you to stay in home. And covid starts off mild and then can turn very serious so that's really not good.

The new coronavirus has now infected more than 100,000 people around the world, but in mainland China the number of new cases fell on Saturday to just 99 – the first time since January 18 that fewer than 100 cases were recorded.

China’s National Health Commission said 74 of the new infections were reported in Hubei’s provincial capital Wuhan, with the remainder occurring in other provinces. This is the second day there were no further cases elsewhere in Hubei province where the outbreak began.

Coronavirus: China cases fall below 100 as world total climbs over 100,000

BREAKING: Coronavirus patient visited Rockville retirement community event, with about 70 to 100 people Coronavirus patient attended Rockville retirement community event

A Montgomery County resident who tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday attended an event at a retirement home in Rockville last weekend, along with between 70 and 100 people, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced Friday night.

Frances Phillips, the deputy secretary for public health services for the state, said people who were at the event — residents, staff and visitors — are being monitored, but no one has reached the level of showing symptoms that require testing

And there's your choice ;) wash your hands or use sanitiser - they will both work. I think it's really poor form that people are destabilising the scientific advice about this. Its the primary way people can help to minimise the spread - wash or sanitise your hands, so simple!
If you can purchase the sanitizer, that is. Furthermore, just advising people to wash their hands often ignores the fact that coronva virus is transmitted through respiratory droplets. So all the hand sanitzer in the world might not help you.

Tonight on 20-20, there is a 2 hour special about the Coronavirus information. It started at 8 CST already (9 EST i belive)

"20/20: Outbreak: What You Need to Know (9 p.m., ABC) - A live special anchored by David Muir with reporting by ABC Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton, chronicling the events that led to the coronavirus global health crisis. The special will feature video diaries from inside China’s quarantined cities and from passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, in addition to live reports from around the world"

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/tv/warm-tv-blog/article240929671.html

In my next house I'm installing Japanese toilets with pee pee and tushy washers. Cuts way down on toilet paper use.

My daughter in Osaka has one and it even opens and closes hands free and has a UV sterilizing light. Gotta love it. :D
You can order a very easy one to attach to your toilet from Amazon. Quite refreshing :-) and inexpensive.

It's cold and flu season. People are coughing and sneezing all over the place. It's not really culture in US to stay home unless you have some serious symptoms. Probably because nobody will pay you to stay in home. And covid starts off mild and then can turn very serious so that's really not good.
So true. I was raised to not miss a day of school or work unless you really, truly could not get out of bed. To this day, I hate not showing up for anything and feel guilty if I call out sick for anything. It's a hard thing to change, I agree.

jmo

So true. I was raised to not miss a day of school or work unless you really, truly could not get out of bed. To this day, I hate not showing up for anything and feel guilty if I call out sick for anything. It's a hard thing to change, I agree.

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

You've made such an excellent point!

The threat of Coronavirus is forcing us to change our behavior, such as attending crowded events (indoors or outdoors), travel, everything really!

Unfortunately, my friend, folks on here can't distinguish between the two. So we are being extra careful so it doesn't get shut down....
Again, thank you Henry. I don't think folks even realize anymore that they are getting political. This might be the way they always talk with friends and forget that they are with a large group who don't believe are even care what their political view is. It doesn't add to the importance of this forum.

I agree, and 16,000 Americans have died from “normal” flu already this season, so the vast majority of flu cases are not Coronavirus. Add the “won’t happen to me” mentality and lack of sick pay / health insurance and it’s understandable that people with mild symptoms don’t report immediately.

jmo
I had the flu about 2 months ago. No one could have paid me enough to get off the couch, let alone leave the house. I felt way way too poorly.

It is a distressing point though that one can be asymptomatic at first with CV and still be a contaminant. Hard to know, in that case, when to stay home. JMO

I'd like to apologize for a post I made in a previous thread, especially to anyone living in Florida or travelling to Florida.

When I voiced concern for students travelling on Spring break, I mentioned Florida. That's because Florida and Spring Break seem to have always correlated.

What I should have said is that there is concern for students who have plans to travel anywhere during Spring break.

The new coronavirus has now infected more than 100,000 people around the world, but in mainland China the number of new cases fell on Saturday to just 99 – the first time since January 18 that fewer than 100 cases were recorded.

China’s National Health Commission said 74 of the new infections were reported in Hubei’s provincial capital Wuhan, with the remainder occurring in other provinces. This is the second day there were no further cases elsewhere in Hubei province where the outbreak began.

Coronavirus: China cases fall below 100 as world total climbs over 100,000

Dear gregjrichards,

This is extremely hopeful to hear! It is the containment which is paramount right now.

Thank you so much for posting this!

I'd like to apologize for a post I made in a previous thread, especially to anyone living in Florida or travelling to Florida.

When I voiced concern for students travelling on Spring break, I mentioned Florida. That's because Florida and Spring Break seem to have always correlated.

What I should have said is that there is concern for students who have plans to travel anywhere during Spring break.
My son is currently booked to take his family (my DIL and 2 grandkids) to Miami for spring break. NY schools have a week off around Easter. I talked with him today and expressed my concerns. However, he and my DIL both work in Manhattan and ride the trains and subways daily...so what's the difference I suppose.

Last edited:
Local news showed the beaches here on Florida's west coast packed, and local businesses stated that they haven't noticed a decline in business as of yet.
From what I understand the virus had a slow start in Florida though that's rapidly changing. I have two daughters there in Miami and West Palm Beach and they haven't been impacted too much - yet.

The WPB daughter texted me to say that a school related event in NY that my granddaughter was scheduled to attend has been cancelled.

Both daughters have been asking my husband and me to come down there but the problem is that we'd have to fly which ups the risk right off the bat. Plus I think it's going to start spreading in Florida soon any way.

As it is we cancelled an event in Seattle that we paid mucho bucks for already and I'm scheduled to fly to St. Louis at the end of March. I'm watching and waiting to see what happens by then.

So for now we're sitting tight here on the Olympic Peninsula in the state of Washington and hoping there will be a downturn of infected soon.

And I have some pieces of rebar handy and hubby has the machete in case of Zombies. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot