Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW YORK

#US #NY Nat'l Guard troops deployed to Health Dept command post in #newrochelle as 25 cases of #coronavirus were confirmed overnight.
Most NY 165+ cases of #COVIDー19 are there.
"We're taking more dramatic actions in that cluster," -@NYGovCuomo
National Guard in New Rochelle to assist coronavirus effort

We're taking more dramatic actions in that cluster," Cuomo told CNN on Tuesday morning, without mentioning the troops.

Cuomo on Monday said the "panic that you see, is unwarranted. We have dealt with worse viruses."

The troops are deployed to a Health Department command post where nurses are being outfitted with protective gear before being sent to gather coronavirus samples and to check on those under quarantine at their residence.

COVID19 on Twitter

JMO
For this part of the article....

"nurses are being outfitted with protective gear before being sent to gather coronavirus samples and to check on those under quarantine at their residence."

That is great for the nurses, but how is a family member (spouse, children, grandparents) that is living with the infected quarantined person supposed to dress to say good morning or bring food to the relative in the home?

I guess I'm struggling with some of the cities reactions here in the US because I am seeing so many contradictions. They take good steps in some areas but then allow "holes" and "paths" for this virus to be almost guaranteed to spread.

I realize there is only so much that can be done but I see things that can be corrected to help slow this down and it is so frustrating to see all these "gaps" and "holes" in their plans that can allow this virus to spread.

Something to think about....buying ammo has gone crazy here. Why? People say that LE will be stretched below limits - some out sick, some home watching children normally in school/closed, working longer shifts and dealing with virus hysteria, plus enforcing travel restrictions.
Most around are expecting petty crime/theft to rise plus a huge surge from the southern border.

It's always good to be prepared. However, I think if crime gets close to being out of control the state governors will call out the National Guard. They have the legal authority to do so and to declare martial law if need be. They don't require approval from the federal government.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...kating-world-championships-montreal-1.5491187

World figure skating championships in Montreal face cancellation over virus concerns

Quebec government evaluating threat to event scheduled for March 16-22

Quebec Health Minister Danielle McCann says the government is evaluating whether to allow the world figure skating championships to go ahead next week in Montreal.

Her comments Monday come after the International Ice Hockey Federation on Saturday cancelled the women's world hockey championship scheduled to take place in Nova Scotia from March 31 to April 10 because of the spread of the novel coronavirus. Hockey Canada said Nova Scotia health officials recommended the event not be held at the scheduled time in a letter to the sport's governing body...

And well this one is also scary. Moo

Also,I expect our public schools would shut down with a direct case. Or family member.

wouldn’t be surprised to see it by end of this week honestly.
they have an April vacation they could cancel to make up and i don’t think they’ve maxed snow days this year.

UK
Food banks run out of milk and other staples as shoppers panic-buy Food banks run out of milk and other staples as shoppers panic-buy #coronavirus #covid19 #wuhanpneumonia Novel Coronavirus - COVID19 on Twitter

Since I have two risk factors (age and underlying health condition) I feel that I am best to "err on the side of caution".

Yes, I want to spend time with my grandchildren. But I can survive not seeing them in person for a few weeks. I will talk to them on the phone. Like their out of state grandparents must do.

It is up to each of us to look out for him/herself, no matter what our friend, our boss, our neighbor or anyone else thinks.

JMO
It just dawned on me last night...

This "Virus Crisis" is going to go down in history as a major event in most everyone's lives worldwide.

Whether anyone chooses to follow the news or not, this "Virus Crisis 2020" is already turning out to be a huge worldwide impact that is affecting many people worldwide. No matter if its an economical impact, a health impact, or just an inconvenience impact, nobody can hardly deny that this is now becoming a major event in our lives.

From that angle, its no wonder a lot of us are paying attention. Knowledge is power in the fight against this, and I feel comforted that most all of us here are doing most everything we can to fight this on a personal basis. If we succeed and escape its wrath, then great. If we dont and get impacted, then at least we will know we did everything we could to try to keep it at bay.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing all the information.

Mayor of small French town defends Smurf gathering

While many parts of Europe are canceling large gatherings, the mayor of Landerneau, a small city on the western tip of France, recently allowed a group to host a gathering of 3,500 people dressed as Smurfs — a world record.

The mayor, Patrick Leclerc, told Agence France-Presse that he does not regret his decision. "We must not stop living... it was the chance to say that we are alive," he said.

Coronavirus updates live: U.S., Europe brace for infection spread as Italy begins lockdown

200310-smurfs-france-mn-0925_40cdf4f01bf122993711326aa1f201b0.fit-560w.jpg
well a lot of others who didn't ask for it might not be living because of that stupid decision, this " we cant stop living our life"crap is beyond ignorant and its inconsiderate , if we would just stay put in our homes for a few weeks it would help, but dummies like this just don't apparently have enough of a brain to figure that out!!!!

Last edited:
I believe lockdown of a city or region is inevitable in the US. The definitions I've seen could include:
All businesses closed other than grocery
All roads closed in and out
All public transit closed
No one enters or leaves without specific approval

What about the grocery deliveries?

The US (and plenty of other places) has settled into a "just-in-time" inventory system that maximizes economic efficiency but leaves us vulnerable to disruption.

The more we can provide for ourselves on a community scale, or regionally, the less we are dependent on outside sources and large-scale disruptions.

This has been part of my worry -- more than one crisis at a time. Accidents, natural disasters, crimes will still occur regardless of the fact that we are "occupied" with this CV situation.

This is a good reason, in my view, to lean toward being overprepared rather than underprepared, and to always be aware of when our choices leave us vulnerable or dependent on things that may not stay reliably safe.

Wash your hands to your favorite song

With people focusing on better hand-washing technique, the guidance is to sing "Happy Birthday" twice to ensure a good, thorough cleaning.

But that song gets old. So an enterprising developer created WashYourLyrics.com, which will put the words to your favorite song to proper hand-washing routine.

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" works particularly well.

ESuza1qXsAAbzGG

Coronavirus updates live: U.S., Europe brace for infection spread as Italy begins lockdown

Thank you so much! I was becoming really annoyed with the all-day-long Happy Birthday earworm that was resulting from just one conscious handwashing session.

I like the appropriate nature of these lyrics as well.

Concerning preparedness, I’ve been wondering about these
5 gallon jugs of water I have stored for several years now. Was concerned if it could have somehow gone bad.
According to the information in the link, it will be fine. Has anyone here had any experience with drinking bottled water that is several years old ?
Does bottled water go bad?

I've always heard that once open, even if not directly contaminated by someone drinking from the bottle, water should be consumed within six months. If it's been longer, use it for flushing the toilet or watering plants instead.

(Boiling would probably make it safe to drink but I'm not an informed source on that).

If you are storing factory-sealed jugs of water for long periods ie earthquake prep, it's probably a good idea to use/replace that water, perhaps annually. Or least on some kind of schedule. Considering how cheap water is and how many varied uses it can be put to, that seems like a prudent idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties