Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, keep in mind they didn't find all, these are just confirmed cases and all have said is the tip of the iceberg. WHO and CDC etc says such. That said and accepted..................

Yes, I was thinking the same exact thing. Yet going to many of the models folks did, it said such. (And then there were the other extreme models we have seen published about that were scenarios for consideration if nothing was done) I have no idea and do not understand either. WHO spoke of such and said was due to the knowledge, measures and changes and contact tracing to put pressure on the virus and such.

Don't begin to understand either how when they open back up the workforce, that it doesn't happen all over again.

They did also talk about how this may not rid of it, but flatten the curve?

Above my paygrade/understanding of it all. Wonder if WS has an epidemiologist on their confirmed list of experts wherever that is.

I would really like to get a better understanding of it as it sounds promising at face value to me.
I’ll have to do some digging.

Two nurses in Wuhan have published an open letter pleading for health workers from around the world to come to China to help fight the coronavirus.

Yingchun Zeng, of the Guangzhou Medical hospital, and Yan Zhen, of the Sun Yet-sen Memorial hospital, also in Guangzhou, published a letter in the medical journal the Lancet on Monday describing mental and physical exhaustion and severe supply shortages on the frontlines of the outbreak.

Wuhan nurses' plea for international medics to help fight coronavirus

Zeng and Zhen are two of at least 14,000 nurses, among almost 20,000 medical personnel, from across the country who have gone to Wuhan to help the overwhelmed medical system. “But we need much more help. We are asking nurses and medical staff from countries around the world to come to China now, to help us in this battle,” they said.

Good luck with that one. It would take some very brave, passionate and selfless health workers to go into the epicenter right now, considering the insane number of deaths and transmissions among health workers (last I heard it was 3000?) and perhaps unknown guarantees about the ability for them to be protected. But as Dr. Tedros has said, focusing on the epicenter and source is key, so I’d be willing to be that there are these brave individuals who have been commissioned and who will indeed assist. As we know there are plenty of brave and selfless people who go into other areas of the world to help during dangerous situations, moo.

Last edited:
Good luck with that one. It would take some very brave, passionate and selfless health workers to go into the epicenter right now, considering the insane number of deaths and transmissions among health workers and perhaps unknown guarantees about the ability for them to be protected. But as Dr. Tedros has said, focusing on the epicenter and source is key, so I’d be willing to be that there are these brave individuals who have been commissioned and who will indeed assist. As we know there are plenty of people who go into other areas of the world to help during dangerous situations, moo.
True. And unfortunately, it may become necessary for health care workers to be on duty in their own locations.

True. And unfortunately, it may become necessary for health care workers to be on duty in their own locations.

If there is no guarantee what they can be protected, shortages of equipment, etc, then they have to really consider the real fact that may not return home, perhaps leaving their own kids without a mom or dad. These are the type of “missions” that Military personnel face.

The locals throughout US need to get on the move......the CDC just runs the test.....the locals send in the samples......

And EVERYONE arrives and departs Hawaii in mass transit with hundreds(or thousands) of other passengers via airplanes or cruise ships. ( Ok, so Oprah and a few other super-rich arrive in their own private planes)

It's not like you can drive to there in your car.

Last edited:
If there is no guarantee what they can be protected, shortages of equipment, etc, then they have to really consider the real fact that may not return home, perhaps leaving their own kids without a mom or dad. These are the type of “missions” that Military personnel face.

Our world is very fortunate to have individuals that see situations such as this one as a calling. Unsung heroes that don’t consider themselves heroes in any way!

IOC member casts doubt on postponing or moving Tokyo Games | Xfinity

TOKYO (AP) — A senior member of the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday that if it proves too dangerous to hold the Olympics in Tokyo this summer because of the coronavirus outbreak, organizers are more likely to cancel it altogether than to postpone or move it.

Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has been on the IOC since 1978, making him its longest-serving member, estimated there is a three-month window — perhaps a two-month one — to decide the fate of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning a decision could be put off until late May...

For those that think SARS and Swine Flu were way worse than this, take the time to read this excellent article. It goes back to what we all discussed in the first thread about what where the characteristics for the worst possible virus, and we listed that this one fit the bill. I can't find that list we did on the threads, but has the explanation in this well done MOO article.

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus
Yes, that is a great article. What I find most bothersome is that he is predicting that one does not get immunity after an infection, so we can't rely on a herd immunity situtation to keep this virus from causing signficant disease again.

HONG KONG (Reuters) - To escape the confines of his Hong Kong "coffin home", or two square meters (21.5 square feet) of living space, Simon Wong usually spends his days in the park playing mahjong with friends, only returning at night to sleep.

But since the Chinese-ruled city reported its first patient with coronavirus last month, Wong has been stuck indoors in the home he has to climb a ladder to get into and which is just large enough to hold a single mattress.

"I don't go out anymore, there are no more gatherings," said the unemployed 64-year-old.

More at link
Fearing coronavirus, Hong Kong's 'coffin home' dwellers stay indoors

This is the “cubicle” living in HK I’ve been referencing for some time now.

(Still need to find the video, thanks for the reminder)

Ha, that’s not the first time I’ve been asked this question here.

Yes, I do, a lot actually, I’m a siesta kind of girl. :D

My goal for today is to not be here for 8 hours straight without eating all day. Yesterday I had low blood sugar and started noticing some giddy posts.

Who’s cooking breakfast this morning?Who brought the donuts?

Intermittent fasting is very chic right now. You are so trendy

Someone should have told him weeks ago the stock market was going to slide. Even I knew it was going to do this. And I'm just some random housewife. I hate partisan crap like this. It's on both sides. This is a crisis and decent human beings who care for their country and it's citizens should be able to work together to handle this the best way possible.

Instead it's always just an excuse for everyone to bicker and point fingers. My kids are doing this over their kitchen chores right now. I expect more of all the people vying to rule this nation though.

US President Donald Trump said he will hold a news conference on the coronavirus at 6 pm (23:00 GMT) on Wednesday.

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump
Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape! @CDCgov.....

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!

__

He praised the government’s response and blamed the media and Democrats for the stock market’s recent tumble.

In a Twitter post, he misspelled the word “coronavirus” as “caronavirus” and wrote that two cable news stations “are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!”

While he has spent the past two days traveling in India, Trump has watched the stock market’s fall closely and believes extreme warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have spooked investors, the aides said. Some White House officials have been unhappy with how Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar has handled the situation, they said.

In recent days, Trump has devoted the majority of his public statements to slamming Democrats or complaining about the criminal justice system, only recently pivoting to the coronavirus. He has sought to repeatedly downplay the potential impact will be on the United States. Privately, Trump has become furious about the stock market’s slide, according to two people familiar with the president’s thinking, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal details.

In January, during his trip to the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, Trump dismissed questions about the coronavirus’s impact in the United States.

“We have it totally under control,” Trump told CNBC at the time. Pressed about the confirmed case in Washington state, Trump said, “It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Now there are more than 50 people in the United States with coronavirus, and health officials believe the number will continue to grow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...-public-alarm-over-coronavirus-despite-panic/

11 hospitals and 100 general medical offices means they are way ahead of the US here. Drastically more so when you compare our population size.

UK conducts coronavirus testing as part of early warning plan

Britain has started random tests for coronavirus on flu patients to have an early warning system in place in case the outbreak becomes more widespread.

In Britain, random tests for the virus will be carried out at 11 hospitals and 100 general medical offices on people who have flu symptoms including a cough, plus shortness of breath and a fever.

UK conducts coronavirus testing as part of early warning plan

Britain has started random tests for coronavirus on flu patients to have an early warning system in place in case the outbreak becomes more widespread.

In Britain, random tests for the virus will be carried out at 11 hospitals and 100 general medical offices on people who have flu symptoms including a cough, plus shortness of breath and a fever.

Arent' those the symptoms of COVID-19 infection? (fever, cough, shortness of breath) ?

So these aren't RANDOM tests - these are screening tests for COVID-19.

And the unlucky ones who don't get tested? What happens to them?

Apologies if this article was already posted-
Labs in the US will start looking for the new coronavirus this week

“This week”??

This article highlights/explains to me why the US isn’t showing higher confirmed cases right now. I’ve been feeling for the past week something isn’t adding up. Well, it’s not, and it’s because we’ve not had accurate tests, so we’ve just not been testing.

Repeat: we’ve just not been testing.....

This article underscores how behind the 8 ball the US is with this virus. Wow. Once they actually start testing our population (this week supposedly if all goes well)...

MOO, we’ve got the virus running all over the States right now. I’d be thrilled to be wrong.

MOO.

I think up to now it's been more a case of developing the test and getting it working right. Then using it to test the higher risk categories.

Now they're rolling it out to lower risk categories to look for community spread further afield. That's the only realistic order it can be done in. I've read the UK is at the same point of starting to roll out the test to checking flu patients who visit their doctor (ie, have more severe symptoms that need going to the doctor). They wouldn't expect to get huge numbers of 'hits' at this point, but getting one hit will help them know that it's in the community, spreading to lower risk people, and that will be a warning for them that the strategies could need amending at that point.

Two nurses in Wuhan have published an open letter pleading for health workers from around the world to come to China to help fight the coronavirus.

Yingchun Zeng, of the Guangzhou Medical hospital, and Yan Zhen, of the Sun Yet-sen Memorial hospital, also in Guangzhou, published a letter in the medical journal the Lancet on Monday describing mental and physical exhaustion and severe supply shortages on the frontlines of the outbreak.

Wuhan nurses' plea for international medics to help fight coronavirus

Zeng and Zhen are two of at least 14,000 nurses, among almost 20,000 medical personnel, from across the country who have gone to Wuhan to help the overwhelmed medical system. “But we need much more help. We are asking nurses and medical staff from countries around the world to come to China now, to help us in this battle,” they said.

These poor people. The descriptions in the article sound horrific. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member