Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore Charges Chinese Couple for Impeding Virus Tracing Efforts

Singapore has charged a married couple from China under the Infectious Diseases Act for providing false information and obstructing coronavirus contact tracing.

The pair were charged on Tuesday and the case will be heard in court Friday.

According to the release:
  • The husband arrived in Singapore, where his wife lives, on Jan. 22, and tested positive for coronavirus Jan. 31. The wife was issued a quarantine order the next day.
  • The two were charged for providing false information about their movements and whereabouts from Jan. 22-29; the wife also allegedly provided false information while under quarantine.
  • The ministry says it established the pair’s true movements “through detailed investigations.”
  • Anyone convicted for a first offense under the act can be fined as much as S$10,000 and/or imprisoned for as long as 6 months.

Hokkaido Japan eyes temporary shutdown of all 1,600 schools to fight coronavirus

The education board of Hokkaido urged local authorities to temporarily close all 1,600 public and private elementary and junior high schools on the northernmost main island, in an effort to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.

The education board called for the schools' closure for a week from Thursday in the first such widespread move due to the virus in the country,

Last edited:
OK - I know we’ve been focused on the way this virus has been spreading around the globe, and we’re all anxious to some degree about the latest CDC statements, but I’ve also been thinking about something that I just can’t wrap my head around....

For anyone that’s been following this thread, it’s very obvious that this virus spreads very rapidly. This virus is also very stealthy in its approach. We’ve watched the progression as it infected more and more people on the Diamond Princess, and we know that people from that ship are still being diagnosed with it.

So here’s what I don’t get... Hubei Provence has over 60 million people that have been quarantined. 60 million is A LOT OF PEOPLE!!! So, as aggressive (yet stealthy) as this virus is, HOW DID IT “PEAK” IN FEBRUARY??? They haven’t even hit 100,000 confirmed cases yet!! I know 100,000 is a lot of people, but it’s a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of a population of 60 million!!

This just doesn’t add up to me!! It’s rather obvious that the virus hasn’t gone dormant. We have new cases popping up everywhere!!! Did it just decide it was getting bored with that specific population?? Or am I missing something here?

If anyone can provide me with information that explains this - I would love to hear it! Because right now, you can color me confused!

First, keep in mind they didn't find all, these are just confirmed cases and all have said is the tip of the iceberg. WHO and CDC etc says such. That said and accepted..................

Yes, I was thinking the same exact thing. Yet going to many of the models folks did, it said such. (And then there were the other extreme models we have seen published about that were scenarios for consideration if nothing was done) I have no idea and do not understand either. WHO spoke of such and said was due to the knowledge, measures and changes and contact tracing to put pressure on the virus and such.

Don't begin to understand either how when they open back up the workforce, that it doesn't happen all over again.

They did also talk about how this may not rid of it, but flatten the curve?

Above my paygrade/understanding of it all. Wonder if WS has an epidemiologist on their confirmed list of experts wherever that is.

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday:

"Corona should not be turned into a weapon of our enemies for shutting down work and production in the country. The Americans and our enemies during this time, around two years of which have passed, have wanted, with their sanctions and propaganda, to shut down production and economic activities in this country and for the people to suffer."

Nineteen dead, 139 infected with coronavirus in Iran: Health ministry

Oy.

Im sorry but that is a bit dramatic. SARS and Swine Flu were way worse than this and one even started IN North America.

For those that think SARS and Swine Flu were way worse than this, take the time to read this excellent article. It goes back to what we all discussed in the first thread about what where the characteristics for the worst possible virus, and we listed that this one fit the bill. I can't find that list we did on the threads, but has the explanation in this well done MOO article.

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

@margarita25 , thanks for the info, I missed that statement all together.

& O/T ~ Do you ever sleep?? lol

Ha, that’s not the first time I’ve been asked this question here.

Yes, I do, a lot actually, I’m a siesta kind of girl. :D

My goal for today is to not be here for 8 hours straight without eating all day. Yesterday I had low blood sugar and started noticing some giddy posts.

Who’s cooking breakfast this morning?Who brought the donuts?

Guatemala on 'maximum alert' over coronavirus

Guatemala's President Alejandro Giammattei has declared a "maximum alert" over the possible arrival of coronavirus to the country, saying medicinal supplies are fully available at local hospitals.

Giammattei also confirmed that there are no infected cases at the moment, although he said a family was in quarantine after returning to Guatemala from South Korea.

"Better safe than sorry," Giammattei said.

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

El Salvador to bar entry of foreign nationals from Italy, S Korea

Salvadoran nationals and diplomats who arrive from these countries will have to spend 30 days in quarantine.

Early Release / February 25, 2020 / 69

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6908e1-H.pdf

Daniel B. Jernigan, MD1; CDC COVID-19 Response Team (View author affiliations)

View suggested citation
Summary
What is already known about this topic?

An outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has spread throughout China and to 31 other countries and territories, including the United States.

What is added by this report?

Fourteen cases have been diagnosed in the United States, in addition to 39 cases among repatriated persons from high-risk settings, for a current total of 53 cases within the United States. The U.S. government and public health partners are implementing aggressive measures to slow and contain transmission of COVID-19 in the United States.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Interim guidance is available at Coronavirus | Home | CDC. As more is learned about this virus and the outbreak, CDC will rapidly incorporate new knowledge into guidance for action.

—-

An outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) began in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December 2019, and has spread throughout China and to 31 other countries and territories, including the United States (1). As of February 23, 2020, there were 76,936 reported cases in mainland China and 1,875 cases in locations outside mainland China (1). There have been 2,462 associated deaths worldwide; no deaths have been reported in the United States. Fourteen cases have been diagnosed in the United States, and an additional 39 cases have occurred among repatriated persons from high-risk settings, for a current total of 53 cases within the United States. This report summarizes the aggressive measures (2,3) that CDC, state and local health departments, multiple other federal agencies, and other partners are implementing to slow and try to contain transmission of COVID-19 in the United States. These measures require the identification of cases and contacts of persons with COVID-19 in the United States and the recommended assessment, monitoring, and care of travelers arriving from areas with substantial COVID-19 transmission. Although these measures might not prevent widespread transmission of the virus in the United States, they are being implemented to 1) slow the spread of illness; 2) provide time to better prepare state and local health departments, health care systems, businesses, educational organizations, and the general public in the event that widespread transmission occurs; and 3) better characterize COVID-19 to guide public health recommendations and the development and deployment of medical countermeasures, including diagnostics, therapeutics, and vaccines. U.S. public health authorities are monitoring the situation closely, and CDC is coordinating efforts with the World Health Organization (WHO) and other global partners. Interim guidance is available at Coronavirus | Home | CDC. As more is learned about this novel virus and this outbreak, CDC will rapidly incorporate new knowledge into guidance for action by CDC, state and local health departments, health care providers, and communities.

Person-to-person spread of COVID-19 appears to occur mainly by respiratory transmission. How easily the virus is transmitted between persons is currently unclear. Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath (4). Based on the incubation period of illness for Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) coronaviruses, as well as observational data from reports of travel-related COVID-19, CDC estimates that symptoms of COVID-19 occur within 2–14 days after exposure. Preliminary data suggest that older adults and persons with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems might be at greater risk for severe illness from this virus ...

Corresponding author: Daniel B. Jernigan, eocevent294@cdc.gov, 770-488-7100.

The author has completed and submitted the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors form for disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. No potential conflicts of interest were disclosed.

* Criteria to guide evaluation and testing of patients under investigation for SARS-CoV-2 include 1) fever or signs or symptoms of lower respiratory tract illness (e.g., cough or shortness of breath) in any person, including a health care worker, who has had close contact with a patient with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection within 14 days of symptom onset; 2) fever and signs or symptoms of lower respiratory tract illness (e.g., cough or shortness of breath) in any person with a history of travel from Hubei Province, China, within 14 days of symptom onset; or 3) fever and signs or symptoms of lower respiratory tract illness (e.g., cough or shortness of breath) requiring hospitalization in any person with a history of travel from mainland China within 14 days of symptom onset. Additional information is available at HAN Archive - 00427 | Health Alert Network (HAN)and HAN Archive - 00426 | Health Alert Network (HAN).

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

§Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

¶ Office of the President. Proclamation on suspension of entry as immigrants and nonimmigrants of persons who pose a risk of transmitting 2019 novel coronavirus. Washington, DC: Office of the President; 2020. https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/external icon.

** https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-china.html.

§§https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04257656?cond = remdesivir&draw = 2&rank = 1external icon; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04252664?cond = remdesivir&draw = 2&rank = 2external icon.

¶¶https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04280705?cond = COVID-19&draw = 4&rank = 22external icon.

*** Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

†††International Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases.

Last edited:
Dozens of passengers allowed off the Diamond Princess cruise ship after testing negative for coronavirus ARE now showing symptoms

Officials said they contacted 813 former passengers of the vessel who had previously tested negative for the virus, and found 45 are now showing symptoms.

All of those with symptoms have been asked to contact doctors and take new tests to check whether they are also infected.

45 passengers allowed off the Diamond Princess ship now show symptoms of coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

The ship that keeps on giving

11:05: 14 new cases in the Diamond Princess cruise ship. 9 crew members and 5 passengers. (Source)

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

Ha, that’s not the first time I’ve been asked this question here.

Yes, I do, a lot actually, I’m a siesta kind of girl. :D

My goal for today is to not be here for 8 hours straight without eating all day. Yesterday I had low blood sugar and started noticing some giddy posts.

Who’s cooking breakfast this morning?Who brought the donuts?
Good morning, moooooogarita and all you other nice folks, Please do not get between me and the coffee pot.......................moo

Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
As of 11:00 a.m. ET February 25, 2020

• China
  • Hong Kong
  • Macau
  • Taiwan
  • Afghanistan
  • Australia
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Egypt
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • India
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Malaysia
  • Nepal
  • Oman
  • Philippines
  • Russia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Thailand
  • The Republic of Korea
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Vietnam

International Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Last edited:
US President Donald Trump said he will hold a news conference on the coronavirus at 6 pm (23:00 GMT) on Wednesday.

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump
Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape! @CDCgov.....

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!

__

He praised the government’s response and blamed the media and Democrats for the stock market’s recent tumble.

In a Twitter post, he misspelled the word “coronavirus” as “caronavirus” and wrote that two cable news stations “are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!”

While he has spent the past two days traveling in India, Trump has watched the stock market’s fall closely and believes extreme warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have spooked investors, the aides said. Some White House officials have been unhappy with how Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar has handled the situation, they said.

In recent days, Trump has devoted the majority of his public statements to slamming Democrats or complaining about the criminal justice system, only recently pivoting to the coronavirus. He has sought to repeatedly downplay the potential impact will be on the United States. Privately, Trump has become furious about the stock market’s slide, according to two people familiar with the president’s thinking, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal details.

In January, during his trip to the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, Trump dismissed questions about the coronavirus’s impact in the United States.

“We have it totally under control,” Trump told CNBC at the time. Pressed about the confirmed case in Washington state, Trump said, “It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Now there are more than 50 people in the United States with coronavirus, and health officials believe the number will continue to grow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...-public-alarm-over-coronavirus-despite-panic/

Last edited:
UK conducts coronavirus testing as part of early warning plan

Britain has started random tests for coronavirus on flu patients to have an early warning system in place in case the outbreak becomes more widespread.

In Britain, random tests for the virus will be carried out at 11 hospitals and 100 general medical offices on people who have flu symptoms including a cough, plus shortness of breath and a fever.

Two nurses in Wuhan have published an open letter pleading for health workers from around the world to come to China to help fight the coronavirus.

Yingchun Zeng, of the Guangzhou Medical hospital, and Yan Zhen, of the Sun Yet-sen Memorial hospital, also in Guangzhou, published a letter in the medical journal the Lancet on Monday describing mental and physical exhaustion and severe supply shortages on the frontlines of the outbreak.

Wuhan nurses' plea for international medics to help fight coronavirus

Zeng and Zhen are two of at least 14,000 nurses, among almost 20,000 medical personnel, from across the country who have gone to Wuhan to help the overwhelmed medical system. “But we need much more help. We are asking nurses and medical staff from countries around the world to come to China now, to help us in this battle,” they said.

Singapore Charges Chinese Couple for Impeding Virus Tracing Efforts

Singapore has charged a married couple from China under the Infectious Diseases Act for providing false information and obstructing coronavirus contact tracing.

The pair were charged on Tuesday and the case will be heard in court Friday.

According to the release:
  • The husband arrived in Singapore, where his wife lives, on Jan. 22, and tested positive for coronavirus Jan. 31. The wife was issued a quarantine order the next day.
  • The two were charged for providing false information about their movements and whereabouts from Jan. 22-29; the wife also allegedly provided false information while under quarantine.
  • The ministry says it established the pair’s true movements “through detailed investigations.”
  • Anyone convicted for a first offense under the act can be fined as much as S$10,000 and/or imprisoned for as long as 6 months.

Anyone know if the US (or other countries) have similar laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appleatcha