Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior administration official blames CDC director for Trump and Pence saying victim was woman

Asked about why President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence described the Washington patient who died from the novel coronavirus as a woman when in reality the patient was a man, a senior administration official placed the blame on the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Dr. (Robert) Redfield briefed the VP and POTUS after speaking with Washington State health officials that it was a woman. Washington State has since corrected," the official said.

CNN Health is reaching out to the CDC for reaction.

Here we go.

Poopstorm on the way.

Last edited:
CORONAVIRUS LATEST: The first known coronavirus-related death in the U.S. was reported in WA. Coronavirus live updates: President Trump confirms 1st known death in US from coronavirus
—Male in his 50s died of the virus.
—At least 69 Americans have COVID-19—22 diagnosed within the U.S., the CDC said.
—Public risk remains low, officials said.

ABC News on Twitter
Sorry, you beat me to it ! :)
So, only 22 diagnosed within the U.S. ?

Means the other "infectee's" are abroad, and will hopefully recover before they reenter the U.S.
That was a made-up term.
(Should have been "infected".)

Last edited:
But first let's debunk two myths that are showing up a lot in my mentions:
Myth 1: "We're all gonna die!" Nope. This isn't a disease in which most infected people die. Only about 5% of cases are critical; 1-2% die. Most cases will be like this guy: The Washington Post on Twitter
Jeremy Konyndyk on Twitter

Perspective: I have the coronavirus. So far, it isn’t that bad. https://t.co/9tSBp67CND

Myth 2: "No big deal, it's just like flu"
NO. Much more dangerous. Around twice as contagious, 10-20 times as deadly. And no vaccine or treatment.
Means the plausible high-end risk is big, because spreading <2% fatality across a vastly large number of people would kill many.
Jeremy Konyndyk on Twitter

CDC director said 15% to 20% of cases are critical - where people end up in the hospital needing medical attention.

Check the PC video from earlier today.

Just trying to keep info accurate. Bezos paper may not be accurate. Bezos himself seems a little concerned about the impact on his profits.

CDC director said 15% to 20% of cases are critical - where people end up in the hospital needing medical attention.

Just trying to keep info accurate. Bezos paper may not be accurate. Bezos himself seems a little concerned about the impact on his profits.

Do you have a working link for that? Tia, I couldn’t get the video to work earlier.

This one is Norovirus.....

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A cruise ship's journey was cut short after several passengers and crew members became ill.

The Caribbean Princess docked in Port Everglades early Saturday morning.

It's the second consecutive sailing on that ship in which passengers and crew fell sick.

This time, Caribbean Princess reported at least 228 passengers and 17 crew members suffering from a stomach bug during its 14-day voyage, which was shortened by a day due to the outbreak.

Passengers leaving the ship told Local 10 News they, and crew alike, began taking precautionary measures after what they were told was an outbreak of Norovirus.

"In the buffet area, the crew members were serving us," passenger Lovena Fox said. "They wouldn't let us touch the food."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent a vessel sanitation program investigation team to intensely clean the ship and try to get to the bottom of what caused the outbreak.

The first incident aboard the Caribbean Princess saw over 400 people become sick.

The ship is expected to set sail on Sunday with a new group of passengers on board.

Cruise ship returns to Port Everglades early after hundreds of passengers fall ill

Oh, Jeez. Our Carnival stock will probably take another nosedive :( DH went out to get some snacks for TCM movie night and might not know about this. We sailed on Caribbean Princess several times but not for several years. I hope this is the common Norovirus (from which most people recover within 48 hours) and not Coronavirus that might be more serious.

Noro on Caribbean Princess, again
Looks like it might be Noro:

I can't find a cdc pc video from today. Can you share a link please?

Sorry, you beat me to it ! :)
So, only 22 diagnosed within the U.S. ?

Means the other "infectee's" are abroad, and will hopefully recover before they reenter the U.S.
That was a made-up term.

That should have been "infected".

The 66 are in the US but 44 of them from Diamond Princess and 3 from wuhan are not counted by the president, which is ridiculous because other scientific sources do count them in. They all are here on US soil. He is confusing everyone.

U.S. Coronavirus Cases
alert.png
1st death in the United States (Washington State) [source] [source]

As of February 29, 2020 at 22:10 GMT, there have been 68 confirmed cases of patients infected with COVID-19 in the United States:
  • 44 former passengers of the Diamond Princesscruise ship in Japan.
  • 3 repatriated from Wuhan
  • 19 US domestic cases
US DOMESTIC CASES:
  • 10 in California
  • 3 in Washington state
  • 2 in Illinois
  • 1 in Wisconsin
  • 1 in Arizona
  • 1 in Massachusetts
  • 1 in Oregon

Coronavirus in the United States: Cases by State - Worldometer

Last edited:
The 66 are in the US but 44 of them from Diamond Princess and 3 from wuhan are not counted by the president, which is ridiculous because other scientific sources do count them in. They here on US soil. He is confusing everyone.

U.S. Coronavirus Cases
alert.png
1st death in the United States (Washington State) [source] [source]

As of February 29, 2020 at 22:10 GMT, there have been 68 confirmed cases of patients infected with COVID-19 in the United States:
  • 44 former passengers of the Diamond Princesscruise ship in Japan.
  • 3 repatriated from Wuhan
  • 19 US domestic cases
US DOMESTIC CASES:
  • 10 in California
  • 3 in Washington state
  • 2 in Illinois
  • 1 in Wisconsin
  • 1 in Arizona
  • 1 in Massachusetts
  • 1 in Oregon

Coronavirus in the United States: Cases by State - Worldometer

This is the worst time to be laughing but I’m sorry this is all so ridiculous.

So, who told him she was “wonderful”? :D

A tip came to me today that I thought I'd share. Try to use one hand when touching things in public like door nobs, shopping carts, etc and try to keep the other hand cleaner. Then, if you have to eat or whatever, you can use the clean hand (but, of course, wash your hands before eating!). I got in this habit as a teen when I was a world traveler and the advice was given to me. Is it perfect? NO, but it is one step to minimize exposure to germs a little bit.

jmo

I'm watching the White House presser now. I really wish they could find a medical expert to speak and who is good at communicating accurate information to the general public.

Too many speakers is dull, and people tune out.
Condescending tone, people are turned off.

Surely there are medical experts who communicate well.....and we don't need a whole line up of people at the press conference. Assign a competent communicator who instills a feeling of trust and stick with that person.

My opinion only.

jmo

A tip came to me today that I thought I'd share. Try to use one hand when touching things in public like door nobs, shopping carts, etc and try to keep the other hand cleaner. Then, if you have to eat or whatever, you can use the clean hand (but, of course, wash your hands before eating!). I got in this habit as a teen when I was a world traveler and the advice was given to me. Is it perfect? NO, but it is one step to minimize exposure to germs a little bit.

jmo

Yes iirc there are some cultures who wipe after toileting with one specific hand and eat with the other, moo. I heard that somewhere a long time ago.

jmo
Great idea, except the virus may be airborne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRANNYINVESTIGATES