Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that sharing and caring is the right thing to do -- but I question the extent. How do we determine that an at-risk person in a first-world nation should go without a booster in order to vaccinate someone in a third-world nation?

In the US, we are getting boosters now--not me, I don't qualify--but others are, and my mom, who is in a nursing home where the staff keep testing positive for the virus, has been offered a booster. She will get it soon.

I would not choose for her to bypass the booster in order for someone else to get an initial vax.

I still think we should share but not at the cost of putting our own loved ones at risk.

As with most things in life, it is all about balance.

They are probably using a sensible approach by stating that those who are most vulnerable should have the booster shots. And let's use the rest of the vaccines to get the 3rd world countries vaccinated.
Let's stop shipping vaccines right before they expire - when that leaves insufficient time to get them into the arms of the people they are intended for in the 3rd world countries.

To me, it sounds as if it is going to be 2022 before we properly address the 3rd world countries issues. Until then, Tedros will keep the heat on - as is his job - so we don't forget our moral obligations.

Flu basically disappeared last season; this season, it might not, Michigan doctors warn

I expect we will have the usual normal flu season this year, as in years past (except last year)- because people have stopped wearing masks, social distancing, and hand washing, those mitigating behaviors that can contain the flu and Covid.

Interestingly, we are seeing flu make a bit of a comeback (at the end of our winter, now in early spring).
I personally know a few people who have come down with a bad flu over the past month or so. They have gone for covid testing, and it is definitely flu - as per their drs.

We are still wearing masks here - fairly diligently. And we are not too bad with the social distancing. Not sure that people are washing their hands as much though.

DH received email and text from Meijer indicating that he is eligible for his booster. We had the Pfizer vaccine a day apart in early and late March. When the original information came out regarding how long to wait prior to getting the booster, we thought we'd both be eligible in late November. Now they're saying six months, so we can probably get the booster sooner. I will likely be contacted by Beaumont since that's where I got my shots. Even if I'm eligible now, I will probably wait until I see my PCP for my annual physical in early November.
Mr Pirate got his booster today. I am too young. So far so good. No side effects for him at all.

Co-founder of BLM in New York threatens 'uprising' over city's 'racist' vaccine mandates | Daily Mail Online

"A Black Lives Matter organizer has pledged a national 'uprising' over COVID vaccine mandates, claiming they are 'racist,' as cities around the country begin to demand proof of vaccination for most indoor activities.

Chivona Newsome, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter of Greater New York, made the vow on Monday as NYC restaurants began enforcing legislation requiring all people aged 12 and older to show proof of vaccination to dine inside.

'We're putting this city on notice... Black people are not going to stand by, or you will see an uprising. And that is not a threat. That is a promise,' Newsome declared.

Her threat comes as data shows black New York City residents are less likely to have received the COVID jab than their white counterparts - with 38 percent of black New Yorkers fully vaccinated compared to 49 percent of whites.

Newsome was speaking outside Carmine's - an Italian restaurant on Manhattan's Upper West Side - where three black women from Texas were arrested for attacking a hostess after members of their group were refused entry because they did not have proof of vaccination.

Newsome joined a protest of 40 people outside Carmine's, where she stated: '72 percent of black people in this city from ages 18 to 44 are unvaccinated,' she declared.

'So what is going to stop the Gestapo, I mean the NYPD, from rounding up black people, from snatching them off the train, off the bus? ... The vaccination passport is not a free passport to racism."

California mom who died of COVID once trusted vaccines. What changed her mind? — The Sacramento Bee

“Her death from COVID-19 leaves behind four children.

She wasn’t “the monster they are making her out to be,” said Amber Qualls, a close friend. “We can’t even bury her. “This world is cruel and disgusting and people would show up to protest it. Her kids are grieving hard for her.”

Four children. :(

Unmasked. Unmuzzled. Unvaccinated. Unafraid.

Preventable.
How very sad for her children now left motherless.

I own a restaurant. These vicious screwed up people should immediately be removed for disturbing the peace.
Vaccines are NOT racist. This restaurant is not racist for obeying the laws that their mayor has ordered them to do.
Dispurse them, arrest them, whatever it takes to stop them from trying to ruin a long term business. Enough.

Co-founder of BLM in New York threatens 'uprising' over city's 'racist' vaccine mandates | Daily Mail Online

"A Black Lives Matter organizer has pledged a national 'uprising' over COVID vaccine mandates, claiming they are 'racist,' as cities around the country begin to demand proof of vaccination for most indoor activities.

Chivona Newsome, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter of Greater New York, made the vow on Monday as NYC restaurants began enforcing legislation requiring all people aged 12 and older to show proof of vaccination to dine inside.

'We're putting this city on notice... Black people are not going to stand by, or you will see an uprising. And that is not a threat. That is a promise,' Newsome declared.

Her threat comes as data shows black New York City residents are less likely to have received the COVID jab than their white counterparts - with 38 percent of black New Yorkers fully vaccinated compared to 49 percent of whites.

Newsome was speaking outside Carmine's - an Italian restaurant on Manhattan's Upper West Side - where three black women from Texas were arrested for attacking a hostess after members of their group were refused entry because they did not have proof of vaccination.

Newsome joined a protest of 40 people outside Carmine's, where she stated: '72 percent of black people in this city from ages 18 to 44 are unvaccinated,' she declared.

'So what is going to stop the Gestapo, I mean the NYPD, from rounding up black people, from snatching them off the train, off the bus? ... The vaccination passport is not a free passport to racism."

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) will be back in my town from tomorrow to give the over four thousand they vaccinated a month ago, their second dose.

I'm getting really impatient again to have our old life back. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever happen. Just having a down day I think.

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) will be back in my town from tomorrow to give the over four thousand they vaccinated a month ago, their second dose.

I'm getting really impatient again to have our old life back. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever happen. Just having a down day I think.

Hugs! You’re not alone. My husband came home fuming and depressed this afternoon from his walk in our little downtown area where we live. He said everyone is acting like the pandemic is over…crowded restaurants and bars, few masks…while we are basically on a self-imposed lockdown to keep ourselves (and others) safe. It appears that people are taking their old lives back regardless of reality. I get it, and we feel like little kids whining “It’s not FAIR!!” But even though we kind of envy them being so carefree, we’re not willing to risk our lives for a restaurant meal or other fun activities we once enjoyed. So here we are, trying hard to stay positive and hopeful…and not always succeeding. Could we have ever imagined any of this in March 2020? At least we are still alive to whine about it! :)

I haven't been out much since this lockdown, just to get my mail from my Post Office box, go to Aldi and to the pharmacy and the bank.

This lockdown is different, in that some places here that stayed open with lockdowns before have changed how they do things.

I called in to ask my medical practice something and the whole place is locked up with a grilled gate and a button to push to speak to someone.
I pushed the button and waited maybe five minutes but I gave up as I had a friend waiting for me at Aldi which is next door.
Easier for me to ring them, I think.

Also the pharmacy now has a table out the front and you take turns to go in when they call you. Now they didn't even want you to use the NSW QR code. But the lady at the table took my phone number and address so it's good they're keeping track of people.

Last edited:
As with most things in life, it is all about balance.

They are probably using a sensible approach by stating that those who are most vulnerable should have the booster shots. And let's use the rest of the vaccines to get the 3rd world countries vaccinated.
Let's stop shipping vaccines right before they expire - when that leaves insufficient time to get them into the arms of the people they are intended for in the 3rd world countries.

To me, it sounds as if it is going to be 2022 before we properly address the 3rd world countries issues. Until then, Tedros will keep the heat on - as is his job - so we don't forget our moral obligations.

Agreed, it's all about balance. We can (and should) always help others, but there's no need to put ourselves in harm in order to do so.

Ultimately, the vaccines are not limited, we can always make more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm