Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, we're back to that "cutting the line thingy" again.

4 reasons ineligible Americans shouldn't sneak a COVID booster — yet
Booster Bandits Are Walking a Fine Line

Americans who have gotten a third (or, for people who got the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, second) shot before they’re eligible—let’s call them booster bandits—have considered the risks to their body and their conscience and concluded, Hey, it couldn’t hurt.

Like the people who crossed state lines or lied about their job to get a first shot in the winter and early spring, they are blurring the truth and fudging the rules. The careful dance of morals and personal peril involved in booster banditry is far more complicated than the obvious ethical dumpster fire of taking a first dose from an essential worker or a cancer patient. But, even though the line-jumpers are loud and proud this time, the illegitimate third doses aren’t always quite as innocuous as they seem to think.

1. The risk of getting really sick is still very low — and it may be getting lower.
2. The risk of getting someone else sick is low, too.

3. To get more bang for your buck, consider waiting a bit.

Timing is an underappreciated element of the booster equation. Even now, older and more vulnerable Americans aren’t supposed to get a third dose until six months after their second — roughly the point at which Israel observed some waning.

Why? Because “if you get all three shots at the same time, or really close to each other, you may not be doing what you set out to do, i.e., train the immune system to remember (how to fight a virus) for many years,” Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco, recently explained. “The immune system generally does better in terms of ‘remembering’ if you wait a few months before the last shot.”

Dr. Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington, told the Atlantic that overstimulating the immune system can even have a negative effect (as opposed to just a neutral one) by making your body less adept at fighting off certain infections — something Dr. Pepper often observes in her work on malaria. "Your immune system needs some time and space to calm down in between seeing one infection and the next one so that it can hone its pathogen-detection skills."

4. The more people who fake their way into a booster, the harder it is to understand when the rest of us really need them.

That’s because every time someone lies about being unvaccinated or immunocompromised or “high risk” in order to get a bonus shot, the more it skews government data on who’s been vaccinated and how well the vaccines are performing. Without a clear picture of that, it’s hard to know for sure when effectiveness is really waning and when universal boosters should finally roll out.

Last edited:
From shoes and sweaters to car parts and coffee, Vietnam's strict and lengthy COVID-19 lockdown has sparked product shortages among worldwide brands such as Nike and Gap which have grown increasingly dependent on the country's manufacturers.

"At first we were lacking people (to work) because everyone was stuck at home"
Now, "travel restrictions have jeopardised all logistics in and out ... this has created long, long delays .... We only survive if we have the stock."

Nike - which warned last week that it was struggling with shortages of its athletic gear and cut its sales forecasts - pointed the finger at Vietnam, among others, saying that 80 per cent of its factories in the south and nearly half of its apparel plants in the country had shut their doors.

The pandemic has not only hit the country's textile industry but is also threatening global coffee supplies

Car companies have not escaped either - Toyota slashed production for September and October owing partly to virus issues, telling AFP "the impact has been big in Vietnam"

Vietnam's COVID-19 lockdown ensnares world's clothing giants

A study will consider whether vitamin A can help those who have lost their sense of smell after having Covid-19.

The university said research from Germany had shown the potential benefit of the vitamin, and its team “will explore how this treatment works to help repair tissues in the nose damaged by viruses”.

The researchers hope the study “could one day help improve the lives of millions around the world who suffer from smell loss, by returning their fifth sense”.

Covid live news: Latvia registers highest number of cases since February; vitamin A trial to treat loss of smell

Rhode Island
Judge dismisses firefighters’ challenge to COVID vaccine mandate
more at link
A Rhode Island judge on Tuesday dismissed a legal challenge by firefighters to block a state requirement for health care workers to get a coronavirus vaccine by Oct. 1 or risk losing their licenses.

The Rhode Island Association of Firefighters argued that the state Department of Health’s mandate violated state law that requires the negotiation of terms and conditions of employment, and violated the firefighters’ collective bargaining rights, The Providence Journal reported.

They sought an injunction barring enforcement of the rule.

The health care worker vaccine mandate applies to emergency medical technicians, and most firefighters are EMTs licensed through the health department.

“In short, the court does not believe this regulation imposes a new working condition,” Judge Melissa Darigan wrote in her decision.

Nicholas Goldberg: Think vaccine mandates are controversial? What if police held you down and injected you?

At the end of August, police in China’s Hunan province came to the home of Zhang Jianping. They questioned him about why he had not been vaccinated against COVID-19, and took him by car to a hospital.

In a social media post that included photos and videos to back up his story, Zhang said he was very clear that he did not want to be immunized. “I am not informed. I do not consent,” he says he told the authorities. But they held down his arms and legs and forcibly injected him.

According to Yaqiu Wang, the researcher at Human Rights Watch who saw Zhang’s post, the local police and healthcare officials were acting in response to President Xi Jinping’s call for the vaccination of 80% of the country’s population by the end of October.

Even though the central government in Beijing says that “informed consent” is the rule and injections must be voluntary, Wang says many such complaints of compelled vaccination have appeared on social media.

When I first heard about this, I was horrified. For government officials to burst into people’s homes to forcibly vaccinate them seemed, at the very least, like an extraordinary violation of personal liberty.

But am I being a hypocrite?

After all, I’m a supporter of vaccine mandates in this country to get recalcitrant Americans immunized. I think it’s reasonable to bar unvaccinated people from restaurants and sports arenas and even schools if they’re not vaccinated.

Couldn’t it be argued that pinning people down and vaccinating them is just the logical extension of our own mandate policies? The Chinese and the U.S. governments have the same objective — to vaccinate the maximum number of people and stop the spread and mutation of the virus. The Chinese are just going a little further in their tactics, right?

Not right. Flat wrong. What these local officials in China are doing is entirely unacceptable.

Rhode Island
Judge dismisses firefighters’ challenge to COVID vaccine mandate
more at link
A Rhode Island judge on Tuesday dismissed a legal challenge by firefighters to block a state requirement for health care workers to get a coronavirus vaccine by Oct. 1 or risk losing their licenses.

The Rhode Island Association of Firefighters argued that the state Department of Health’s mandate violated state law that requires the negotiation of terms and conditions of employment, and violated the firefighters’ collective bargaining rights, The Providence Journal reported.

They sought an injunction barring enforcement of the rule.

The health care worker vaccine mandate applies to emergency medical technicians, and most firefighters are EMTs licensed through the health department.

“In short, the court does not believe this regulation imposes a new working condition,” Judge Melissa Darigan wrote in her decision.

Nice. It sure looks like the regulation DOES impose a new working condition to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this issue goes to the Supreme Court.

@Cool Cats we are talking about China. This is a country that managed population control using extreme measures.

Doesn't surprise me a bit that folks are forcibly vaccinated. What does surprise me, is that someone wanted to actually resist the mandate regarding vaccination.

And, in the United States, if you "choose" to be unvaccinated, you may be unemployed, unable to get a job, place to live, go out to eat, and a myriad of other activities of daily living. Doesn't seem like much of a "choice" to me.

CDC issues urgent alert: Pregnant women need the Covid-19 vaccine
more at link
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday issued its strongest guidance to date urging pregnant women to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

The guidance comes as more than a quarter million cases of Covid in pregnant women have been reported, 22,000 of whom were hospitalized, according to the CDC.

A total of 161 pregnant women have died of Covid, the CDC said, with 22 deaths in August alone.

Yet, less than a third of pregnant women have been vaccinated, the agency reported.

The new notice is meant to strengthen previous CDC guidance issued last month, when the agency first advised pregnant women to get the vaccine.

https://www.newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/09/29/nearly-900-students-in-toms-river-in-covd-quarantine-following-district-wide-outbreak/%3famp

“TOMS RIVER, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Nearly 900 students in Toms River are in COVID quarantine after a district-wide outbreak of the virus.

That means one in 14 students in Toms River have either had COVID or been impacted by the virus since the start of the school year.

Some blame the district’s lax mask policy for the recent spike.
SBM***********SBM
Toms River didn’t implement a mask policy until two weeks into the school year, and even then some schools used the “excessive heat exception” to avoid enforcing the policy. Even now, students say the rule is hit or miss.”

How Florida fell so far behind California in battling the coronavirus

This may be behind a paywall-- The article describes the differences between Florida and California- especially number of deaths. As we can assume, it all comes down to how the Governor of the State managed the virus. We know Florida was doing quite well, even with hardly any restrictions- then Delta came a long. The problem is that DeSantis didn't change anything. No restrictions still and even worse, he came out against mask mandates for school children. The governor of California took Delta very seriously, instituted mitigation policies and California came under control. It is an interesting read.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts for my grand baby, Willa. I will paste my prior post here for reference to my update.

Covid came calling to my sweet grand baby Willa. She is 18 months old. Her mom and dad are fully vaccinated but of course the girls are not. Willa is positive, Mabel is 3 and Eloise is 5. My daughter and son in law are ok so far. Poor Willa is so sick. They are watching her carefully but are scared. I feel so bad for them. They were careful! No indoor restaurants or activities yet here we are. The siblings are testing tomorrow morning. But it’s impossible to isolate a baby so all are highly exposed. What a mess.

Update today. Send positive thoughts. Poor Willa was admitted to University of Michigan Mott Children's Hospital. She is awaiting an ICU bed. She is on high flow 02 and getting Remdesivir infusions in the ER now. She is really sick. I am so worried and sad. Her parents were as careful as possible. They didn't do any indoor activities. No restaurants..parties. Mr. Pirate and I even limited our contact with them as we have been out and about indoors. To protect them....They did their best and now this. Daycare most likely. They had to work after all. I am just sick with worry.
I’m so sorry. Willa, her family, and the healthcare team are in my novena.

Montana only state to ban vaccine requirements for employees

Prices spike as Billings joins the great Montana housing bubble

I wonder if the Governor of Montana, with the laid back policy on vaccines, masks, lockdowns, has encouraged the explosive growth and demand for housing in Montana...

And yet an ER doctor is asking people there to please get vaccinated because the ICU at Billings Clinic is at 150% capacity, and they are having an influx of younger covid patients.

Perhaps these things don't concern the people who want to move there.

At Billings Clinic, the largest hospital in the state, the ICU is running at 150% capacity with younger and sicker patients admitted daily.
The National Guard is on hand to help care for and screen new patients while hallways house the overflow.
Montana hospital ICU reaches 150% capacity amid surge of COVID-19 cases

I sure as heck wish our transport workers were required to be vaccinated. It seems like every other day we have a transport worker bring the virus into my state. We are constantly on edge due to this.

We are just at 49.6% fully vaccinated in my state at the moment (67.8% at least first dose). Not protected enough yet.

"Here’s the exposure site lists for the new case in South Australia. As I mentioned, it’s just truck stop locations because the driver was travelling to and from Victoria."

https://twitter.com/SAHealth/status/1443478922222452739/photo/2

Last edited:
Something in our local paper today, a Covid testing site for freight drivers.

THE Raglan BP has become the 11th "freight-friendly" COVID testing site across the state.

The aim is to make it easier for transport operators to receive regular tests so they can continue to deliver essential supplies across NSW.

Sorry it's behind a paywall.

I just hope that it's made use of. I'd be happier if it was compulsory to get a test, which the article says only takes 10 minutes of the drivers time.

The site is right: Bathurst joins the 'freight-friendly' trail

I sure as heck wish our transport workers were required to be vaccinated. It seems like every other day we have a transport worker bring the virus into my state. We are constantly on edge due to this.

Something in our local paper today, a Covid testing site for freight drivers.

THE Raglan BP has become the 11th "freight-friendly" COVID testing site across the state.

The aim is to make it easier for transport operators to receive regular tests so they can continue to deliver essential supplies across NSW.

Sorry it's behind a paywall.

I just hope that it's made use of. I'd be happier if it was compulsory to get a test, which the article says only takes 10 minutes of the drivers time.

The site is right: Bathurst joins the 'freight-friendly' trail

They already have to have a mandatory negative covid test within 72 hours prior to entering my state, but they are finding truckies who don't do that ... so they give them a rapid antigen test or a PCR test.
And voila, some of them are covid positive - and might have stopped at a truck stop or two or three on the way in.

Commercial transport and freight workers

Thinking about freight and shortages. I've been looking to buy a new laptop but the ones with the features I want don't seem to be available at the moment.
I looked at quite a few online sites and one had heaps of laptops, and one that I would have bought but almost all of them were "not available"

There were a couple that would have been ok, but at prices over three thousand dollars, it's way more than I've ever spent on a laptop and they really only last a few years, bit more if you're careful.

I do have one I bought a few months ago, a bit of a mistake, just missing an essential to me feature that I thought it had but I can use it if this one goes.

The Covid content is that some things are getting harder to find, what with factories etc closing down or not having the parts required to assemble goods etc.

Montana only state to ban vaccine requirements for employees

Prices spike as Billings joins the great Montana housing bubble

I wonder if the Governor of Montana, with the laid back policy on vaccines, masks, lockdowns, has encouraged the explosive growth and demand for housing in Montana...

It's possible that such a mandate would make Montana a mecca for antivaxxers. It's also possible, but more likely, based on what has happened elsewhere, is that people are moving out of apartments and other crowded living spaces, and finding places to live that are not as vulnerable.

These People Rushed to Buy Homes During Covid. Now They Regret It.

Covid-19 caused a recession. So why did the housing market boom?

It's possible that such a mandate would make Montana a mecca for antivaxxers. It's also possible, but more likely, based on what has happened elsewhere, is that people are moving out of apartments and other crowded living spaces, and finding places to live that are not as vulnerable.

These People Rushed to Buy Homes During Covid. Now They Regret It.

Covid-19 caused a recession. So why did the housing market boom?

Yeah. I don't know. But the housing market is crazy here. Especially in relationship to wages for folks in Montana.

It seems like a lot of people have moved here from out of state, now that they can easily "Tele work". Other people have mentioned that schools here never really closed down completely, which is another huge selling point.

Texas man hits out at own stupidity as both feet amputated from Covid when he decided not to get vaccinated
Thu, September 30, 2021, 10:12 AM

b0caab9e3d5b728c67e4f5e6aa0fab3e

A Texas man has hit out at his own “stupidity” after both of his feet were amputated following complications from Covid-19 after he decided not to get vaccinated.

Pepe Forina was particularly vulnerable to the virus as he suffers from pre-existing conditions like diabetes and hypertension. The 54-year-old lost both of his legs to sepsis – the body’s extreme reaction to infection – after ending up in the hospital with Covid-19.

poster.jpg

“I looked at my feet and my feet were black,” Mr Forina told KRGV.

When he was asked why he didn’t get the vaccine, Mr Forina said: “Stupidity basically, I didn’t believe in it.”

“It’s a choice, a choice that I made poorly,” he told the outlet. “Learn from me, and hopefully you won’t be in the same situation that I’m in.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm