DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How COVID Misinformation Created a Run on Animal Medicine
Tue, September 28, 2021, 7:45 AM
d083fd37a52ff46ab3d538bf84833bf9

Dr. Karen Emerson, a veterinarian who owns Emerson Animal Hospital, with a patient in West Point, Miss., Sept. 18, 2021.
Emerson Animal Hospital was down to its last 10 milliliters of ivermectin.

For months, the veterinary center in West Point, Mississippi, had watched its supplies of the drug dwindle. Dr. Karen Emerson, the veterinarian who owns the hospital, started the year with one 500-milliliter bottle of ivermectin, which she uses to kill parasites in dogs, chickens and other patients.

But as the bottle emptied and her staff tried to find more, they were able to obtain only a 50-milliliter vial. Everyone else told them: None available.

So Emerson began rationing the medicine to give to snakes and other exotic animals for which she had no other deworming treatment. She told dog owners to pay for a more available replacement drug that can cost seven times as much.

Emerson was surprised by ivermectin’s scarcity because it had always been plentiful. But she put two and two together after people started streaming into her clinic to ask about using the drug to treat COVID-19.

“I really think that’s why we have a shortage, because so many people are using it,” she said.

Covid came calling to my sweet grand baby Willa. She is 18 months old. Her mom and dad are fully vaccinated but of course the girls are not. Willa is positive, Mabel is 3 and Eloise is 5. My daughter and son in law are ok so far. Poor Willa is so sick. They are watching her carefully but are scared. I feel so bad for them. They were careful! No indoor restaurants or activities yet here we are. The siblings are testing tomorrow morning. But it’s impossible to isolate a baby so all are highly exposed. What a mess.
How would the baby get it? Does she go to daycare?

Last edited:
“I’m not pro-vaccine. I’m pro-health,” he said. “The vaccine is what makes you healthy. You get the vaccine, it’s going to make you healthy, keep you healthy and not let this happen to you.”

Man hospitalized with COVID-19 begs others to get vaccinated: 'Weigh the here and now'

Why wouldn't he get a vaccine?

Both Mark and Amy Green were against taking the vaccine. Amy still isn't sure.

They were worried about the unknown.
e00f9cf74fceab1dbc0d85d22ee3f0d6

They discussed the pros and cons at length. They did not doubt COVID-19 was real; they know people who had been sickened by it, including Mark Green’s 88-year-old mother.

But for every argument the Greens heard in favor of the vaccine, it seemed, there was one against. Its development and approval just seemed rushed, Mark and Amy agreed. People had politicized it, and their politics fall on the Republican side of things. Not one doctor could promise him beyond a shadow of a doubt that problems with the vaccine would not arise in the future.

The Greens aren't alone in that thinking, despite the repeated efforts of both public and health officials.
1313b499ea0eec7097b54dd313232b91

Too often, Klinestiver says, his patients say politely 'no thanks' when he tries to convince them to take the vaccine. While Klinestiver says he can understand much of this reluctance, he also knows the flip side of the vaccine: That hospitals have been filling up with COVID-19 patients, sometimes leaving little to no room for others to receive care.

The Greens could not be swayed

The Greens had heard all these arguments, but nothing swayed them. Most people they know are not vaccinated. No one in their direct family — Mark, Amy, their five adult children — is vaccinated.

5d3e7bb295931509182196ccfdcb6003

Neither Mark nor Amy think of themselves as being anti-vaccine. They just had qualms about this particular vaccine, many of which from the outside seem to be largely driven by false information.

The amount of conflicting information made it political, said Amy, who adds she has had flu and pneumonia shots in the past. With this vaccine, however, she said, she felt like the government and officials were shoving it down people’s throats and not giving individuals a choice in whether or not they wanted it.

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-28_18-43-39.png
    upload_2021-9-28_18-43-39.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thank you all for your positive thoughts for my grand baby, Willa. I will paste my prior post here for reference to my update.

Covid came calling to my sweet grand baby Willa. She is 18 months old. Her mom and dad are fully vaccinated but of course the girls are not. Willa is positive, Mabel is 3 and Eloise is 5. My daughter and son in law are ok so far. Poor Willa is so sick. They are watching her carefully but are scared. I feel so bad for them. They were careful! No indoor restaurants or activities yet here we are. The siblings are testing tomorrow morning. But it’s impossible to isolate a baby so all are highly exposed. What a mess.

Update today. Send positive thoughts. Poor Willa was admitted to University of Michigan Mott Children's Hospital. She is awaiting an ICU bed. She is on high flow 02 and getting Remdesivir infusions in the ER now. She is really sick. I am so worried and sad. Her parents were as careful as possible. They didn't do any indoor activities. No restaurants..parties. Mr. Pirate and I even limited our contact with them as we have been out and about indoors. To protect them....They did their best and now this. Daycare most likely. They had to work after all. I am just sick with worry.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts for my grand baby, Willa. I will paste my prior post here for reference to my update.

Update today. Send positive thoughts. Poor Willa was admitted to University of Michigan Mott Children's Hospital. She is awaiting an ICU bed. She is on high flow 02 and getting Remdesivir infusions in the ER now. She is really sick. I am so worried and sad. Her parents were as careful as possible. They didn't do any indoor activities. No restaurants..parties. Mr. Pirate and I even limited our contact with them as we have been out and about indoors. To protect them....They did their best and now this. Daycare most likely. They had to work after all. I am just sick with worry.
I'm so sorry. I know you are worried sick.

A Baltimore family went to get flu vaccines. Their 4-year-old accidentally walked out with a COVID shot.

VUJ5ST7VMJDUTHALU5UYZTMUSM.jpg

Before heading out the door on the morning of Sept. 18, Victoria and Martin Olivier and their 4-year-old daughter struck a deal.

In exchange for good behavior during the family’s pharmacy visit for seasonal flu shots, Colette could expect a sugary treat in her future. So when the Walgreens pharmacist asked “Who wants to go first?” and Colette bravely sprang up to volunteer, her parents felt a wave of relief wash over them.

But relief soon gave way to panic when the pharmacist realized she injected Colette with a dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which is not yet authorized for children younger than 12.
XYSIBTHRNNEMNGIYYAI2W4HMZM.jpg

Colette Olivier, 4, plays with her mom, Victoria Olivier, at a park near their home Wednesday, Sept. 22.

Olivier called the pharmacist’s admission of error a “record-scratch” moment that she feared could have dire implications for her daughter: Did Colette need to go to the hospital? Would she develop life-threatening side effects from the adult dose? Did they now need to schedule a second-dose appointment for her?

“All of us were just stunned,” Olivier said. “No one really knew what to do, of course.”

The Olivier family raced home and began digging through internet-based resources. A 24/7 nurse’s hotline and Poison Control yielded few answers. She turned to a robust network of social media friends for help.

“I got the first COVID shot,” the little girl said proudly Wednesday night as she swung on a neighborhood playground swing in Remington.

KLPUUOX6TZEV7DVKI52QYLGC6I.jpg

Colette Olivier, 4, walks home with her mom, Victoria Olivier, after playing at a park near their house Wednesday, Sept. 22.

“We are in touch with the patient’s family and we have apologized,” Caruso said. “Our multistep vaccination procedure includes several safety checks to minimize the chance of human error. We’ve recently reviewed this process with our pharmacy staff in order to prevent a future occurrence.”

Experts in pediatrics, immunology and biology said the pharmacy’s blunder, while frightening, was not life-threatening, nor should it dictate how other families feel about seeking medical care or vaccinations for their children.

The Olivier family said they contacted representatives at Walgreens asking for Colette’s immunization record to reflect the COVID-19 shot. They are not planning to file a complaint with the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.

The Olivier family said they spoke with Dr. James Campbell, the principal investigator of the Moderna vaccine in children, who reassured them that Colette would be OK. Representatives from the medical school declined to make him available for an interview.

Victoria Olivier said while she may not wish the same fate upon other families, she does take some comfort knowing that her daughter is at least partially protected against COVID-19 — for now, anyway. Physicians have recommended the family wait until the Pfizer vaccine is authorized for Colette’s age group before scheduling a second dose appointment.

Last edited:

aww- poor baby- I am so sorry--- I understand they had to work- that is reality-- so sad: prayers for this precious child. She is in good hands at U of M.

I am so sorry to hear about dear Willa. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope she starts improving soon. I'm sure that the hospital is doing everything they can to help the little one get through this.

Praying that Willa will recover quickly. How scary for you all.

I'm sorry to hear this and sending all the love and healthy vibes to little Willa. Hoping her siblings and parents stay well, too.

I am so sorry to hear this. It is a great worry indeed. She will be cared for like a precious lamb while she's in the hospital. May healing come quickly.

Sending you much love and strength. Thinking about you here xX

I suspect that many of these workers have already found employment elsewhere but still had their names on the list of employees.
Nearly 600 United Airlines employees face being fired after failing to comply with the firm's Covid-19 vaccination policy.

The vast majority of its 67,000 US staff have supplied proof of vaccination, which was required by Monday.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision," its bosses said in a memo to employees.

The Chicago-based airline set out its Covid requirements for staff in August.

Its US employees had to upload proof of vaccination, or the first of two jabs, by the deadline on Monday.
[...]
On Tuesday it said that it had received more than 20,000 applications for about 2,000 flight attendant jobs.

Elsewhere in the US, few airlines have introduced vaccine mandates for its staff. Delta Airlines, for example, has announced a $200 (£148) monthly health insurance surcharge for those who are not jabbed.

United Airlines to fire staff who refuse vaccine

I can only imagine how worried you must be. Thinking of you and sending all the positive thoughts to little Willa and your family

It is good that your precious grandbaby is receiving Remdesivir. I did a little reading about the pediatric outcomes of compassionate use Remdesivir on children, and it really assists their strong recovery overall.

Bless little Willa, may she turn that corner very soon.

(Source: American Academy of Pediatrics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member