Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #103

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
While it is important to know how many positive cases there are, it is more important to break those stats down to include how many were hospitalized, how many were vaccinated and any deaths at this point, as well as how many
are Delta and how many are Omicron

This chart from Oregon isn’t NY, but the only stat missing is Delta vs Omicron. I don’t think that kind of testing is done routinely yet. The graph covers three of the four hospitals in a two-county area where I live in Southern Oregon. My county, 220,000 population, runs between about 50-75 new cases per day, one of the highest counties in the state outside the Portland metro area. I would imagine that hospitals in NY also publish these types of stats somewhere. But regardless, that stat breaking the record for highest number of cases is certainly something to keep an eye on IMO. According to the cited article, it is thought to be driven by omicron.

https://www.asante.org/app/files/pu...c2a8133/Asante_COVID-19_Cases_Infographic.pdf

This chart from Oregon isn’t NY, but the only stat missing is Delta vs Omicron. I don’t think that kind of testing is done routinely yet. The graph covers three of the four hospitals in a two-county area where I live in Southern Oregon. My county, 220,000 population, runs between about 50-75 new cases per day, one of the highest counties in the state outside the Portland metro area. I would imagine that hospitals in NY also publish these types of stats somewhere. But regardless, that stat breaking the record for highest number of cases is certainly something to keep an eye on IMO. According to the cited article, it is thought to be driven by omicron.

https://www.asante.org/app/files/pu...c2a8133/Asante_COVID-19_Cases_Infographic.pdf

I think we are going to see cases exploding due to the increased transmissibility of Omicron--The important thing to know is, are vaccines working to keep people out of the hospital--- we need to know if the
impact from Omicron is less severe or not- we need to know if treatment
like monoclonal antibodies are working

I think we are going to see cases exploding due to the increased transmissibility of Omicron--The important thing to know is, are vaccines working to keep people out of the hospital--- we need to know if the
Regeneron's current monoclonals don't work well against omicron. Pfizer's pill should still work (it doesn't depend on the sequence of spike protein that much) but it hasn't been approved yet.
"...the company confirmed that its current cocktail has diminished potency against the heavily mutated strain."
Regeneron developing antibodies to target omicron (cnbc.com)

I definitely agree. But I don’t think we are at a point in testing for Omicron yet to be able to draw solid conclusions. It’s so new. But I’m sure that’s in the works and as omicron cases increase, I expect the answers to your questions will be clear. In the meantime, personally, my precautions won’t change, despite being vaxxed and boosted with Pfizer. My covid experience in January is not one I want to repeat.
JMO

I definitely agree. But I don’t think we are at a point in testing for Omicron yet to be able to draw solid conclusions. It’s so new. But I’m sure that’s in the works and as omicron cases increase, I expect the answers to your questions will be clear. In the meantime, personally, my precautions won’t change, despite being vaxxed and boosted with Pfizer. My covid experience in January is not one I want to repeat.
JMO

Agree!!!!!

Schools, classrooms close doors again in latest Covid surge (nbcnews.com)

As schools brace for another rise in Covid cases, driven by the omicron variant, some are closing their doors again ahead of the winter break.

As schools brace for the rapid rise in omicron cases amid delta’s continued onslaught and the onset of flu season, some are closing their doors once again and moving back to online learning ahead of the holiday break.

Prince George’s County in Maryland on Friday became the first major school district to announce that all students will transition to remote learning as cases surge. The shift to online learning will begin Monday, four days before the start of winter break, and continue for two weeks after school resumes on Jan. 3.

"Educators, administrators and support staff must be able to deliver in-person instruction and other activities in conditions that prioritize their own health, as well as the wellbeing of the school community," Monica Goldson, the CEO of the county’s public schools, said in a letter to the community. "The increased positivity rates have significantly challenged the ability to do so, causing anxiety among many school communities and disruption to the school day."...

This is another reason why I think that there should be a lot more wildlife sampling. I also think that more attention and resources should be given to understanding how bacteria and viruses jump between animal and human hosts. The "One Health" paradigm seems to be significant in this area. JMO.

Since you mentioned influenza, I thought that I would share this, in case others weren't aware:

UK chief vet warns avian flu at phenomenal level in UK

Minister confirms UK has been hit by record bird flu outbreak

Bird flu – Latest situation: UK-wide housing measures introduced to protect poultry and captive birds against avian flu

There is no known risk to human health, but obviously viruses can and do jump from animals to humans, so I think that awareness is important.
This is one of my favorite soapboxes and has been for years. Humans don't cook up these outbreaks in themselves. HIV, ebola, swine flu, mad cow, nipah, zika, hantavirus, lassa fever, dengue, monkeypox, SARS, MERS and now SARS 2 all arose by our close association with animals. We farm pigs and chickens near bat caves, or near each other. We hunt and bring back bush meat with no precautions. We spelunk and research in caves where bats live. We trade in exotic wildlife. We have open wet markets where all manner of mammals and birds are crowded together and in close contact with each other when they ordinarily would have no contact with each other in the wild. We increasingly encroach on wild-life habitats and expose ourselves to the hundreds of viruses they carry.

This is a problem. And these outbreaks will keep happening as long as we continue to carry on this way. jmo

A poorly matched flu shot could mean a bad flu season on top of a Covid surge (nbcnews.com)

Research suggests that this year's flu shot is not a good match for the main strain of influenza in circulation right now.

The current flu vaccines appear to be a bad match for the dominant strain so far this influenza season, new research suggests, leading experts to warn that the United States could be in for a bad flu season, on top of what’s already shaping up to be another devastating surge of Covid cases.

Before each flu season, scientists must predict which strains will be the most common, and design a flu shot to match these predictions. This year’s flu shot includes four strains.

But one, a version of the H3N2 strain of influenza, is turning out to be a bad match for the version of H3N2, called 2a2, that’s in wide circulation in the U.S., according to a study from Scott Hensley, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania. Hensley’s study was posted Wednesday to a preprint server, meaning it has not yet been peer-reviewed...

JMO
It looks like Omicron can indeed be preliminarily identified with a PCR test, which is fortuitous.

"Several labs have indicated that for one widely used PCR test, one of the three target genes is not detected (called S gene dropout or S gene target failure) and this test can therefore be used as marker for this variant, pending sequencing confirmation."

Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern

A poorly matched flu shot could mean a bad flu season on top of a Covid surge (nbcnews.com)

Research suggests that this year's flu shot is not a good match for the main strain of influenza in circulation right now.

The current flu vaccines appear to be a bad match for the dominant strain so far this influenza season, new research suggests, leading experts to warn that the United States could be in for a bad flu season, on top of what’s already shaping up to be another devastating surge of Covid cases.

Before each flu season, scientists must predict which strains will be the most common, and design a flu shot to match these predictions. This year’s flu shot includes four strains.

But one, a version of the H3N2 strain of influenza, is turning out to be a bad match for the version of H3N2, called 2a2, that’s in wide circulation in the U.S., according to a study from Scott Hensley, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania. Hensley’s study was posted Wednesday to a preprint server, meaning it has not yet been peer-reviewed...
This is unfortunate, as flu has already killed 475,000 people so far this year and this isn't going to help matters any.

Worldometer - real time world statistics

What should I do if I’m physically unable to go out and get a vaccine or booster shot?

“If you have difficulty reaching a vaccination site, you may be able to get an in-home vaccination,” the CDC says.

The CDC suggests contacting the following to see if they provide at-home vaccination in your area:
  • Your doctor or health care provider
  • The hotline for Medicare recipients at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY 1-877-486-2048)
  • Your state health department or 211
  • The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) 1-888-677-1199
  • Services for older adults and their families at the Eldercare Locator or 1-800-677-1116
You asked, we’re answering: Your top questions about Covid-19 and vaccines

Yes, this.

There are WAY too many examples of real people who truly find themselves having to make impossible choices to flippantly think anyone who dares not immediately cease all activity for 10-14 days every time they’re exposed is a monster who doesn’t care about humanity.
I guess I should have worded my post better, as I never meant to imply that anyone who refuses to stay home 10-14 days after being exposed to the virus is a monster who doesn’t care about humanity.

I said I wish people would do the right thing for humanity. Because I DO think it’s inconsiderate and harmful to society for people to be out galavanting around town without taking a test (any test!) if they *KNOW* they’ve been exposed to the virus and know they could potentially spread it to others. Especially in an area where rapid tests are free and widely available.

(I only took a PCR test because rapid tests are not widely available here in South Carolina, and I couldn’t find a testing site that was offering them. I would have gladly taken a rapid test and returned to work on Monday if that had been an option for me.)

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Last edited:
Can you safely enjoy the holidays? Experts offer COVID tips | PBS NewsHour

The delta and omicron variants of the coronavirus are trying to spoil the holiday spirit, but there still are ways to enjoy the festivities.

The explosive spread of the omicron variant is causing many to wonder if they should cancel their holiday plans. The omicron mutation is expected to overtake the delta variant in the United States within weeks.

Health experts know that people need to spend time together, so they are offering advice. Above all, getting vaccinated remains the best defense and getting a booster shot further increases protection...

One of my friends lost her job due to missing work, a job she had for over 15 years. She has three kids in school, and every time one of their classmates tested positive the kids in that class had to stay home and do remote learning for two weeks. And once someone on the bus tested positive and there was another two weeks.

Of course the kids couldn’t stay home alone and she is a single parent. So when one of the kids had exposure to a classmate she had to take two weeks off work to stay home with the child. Between the three kids she ended up missing many weeks of work. And neither she nor any of her kids ever had COVID themselves.

Finally her employer had to let her go. She said they told her they didn’t want to but they needed someone dependable in her position.
Where was this? In my area, once school went back in Sept 2020, a child only has to stay home if they test positive.

Weren't children being tested, instead of being kept home for two weeks because of a possible exposure?

That maked no sense to me.

This is one of my favorite soapboxes and has been for years. Humans don't cook up these outbreaks in themselves. HIV, ebola, swine flu, mad cow, nipah, zika, hantavirus, lassa fever, dengue, monkeypox, SARS, MERS and now SARS 2 all arose by our close association with animals. We farm pigs and chickens near bat caves, or near each other. We hunt and bring back bush meat with no precautions. We spelunk and research in caves where bats live. We trade in exotic wildlife. We have open wet markets where all manner of mammals and birds are crowded together and in close contact with each other when they ordinarily would have no contact with each other in the wild. We increasingly encroach on wild-life habitats and expose ourselves to the hundreds of viruses they carry.

This is a problem. And these outbreaks will keep happening as long as we continue to carry on this way. jmo
I agree but as other research has pointed out, it's only because we live in incredibly large, incredibly dense and incredibly interconnected groups, that we're so affected by this natural process of virus mutations. Humans spent millions of years not doing that.

Some people might get the bright idea that the way to eliminate pandemics and encourage our modern lifestyle, is to exterminate all creatures that we might catch a virus from. I wouldn't put it past future generations, unfortunately.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member