Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #103

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ilovewings Were the folks at the hair salon masked up today? :cool:

They sure were--- they also have a sign on the window that states they are all vaccinated-- mostly older clientele-- I just had a consultation--getting my hair dyed
and styled next Wednesday--it is a 45 minute drive there and lots of traffic, but
they are the only salon in the Fort Myers-Naples area that seems to care about
safety issues. I thanked them for being so diligent about safety precautions.

Agreed. If this outbreak had happened in China 100 years ago this scenario would look much different. It would have taken much, much longer to spread globally (if it ever did). We don't live in that kind of world anymore. Now, in the weeks it takes to identify a new contagious respiratory virus outbreak, you can be certain it is already everywhere in the world. And the only thing driving this kind of thing is human behavior. It is us, the hosts, who have changed the fabric of the landscape in favor of viral evolution. In essence, we have stacked the deck against ourselves.

In a way, really, what's happening now is the natural and expected order of things. jmo

yes, we travel everywhere, we import/export everything and we eat and excrete everything. the countervailing factor is that there are billions of us- to "nature," if a few million humans are knocked off- no big deal. we are the chief mammal to be taken out. even with a pandemic, we are no where near extinction.

I can't see humans even attempting to eradicate all potentially virus-carrying creatures. Every creature can give humans some kind of disease. People got the human version of mad cow disease from eating cow brains, cats are dangerous to pregnant women, birds carry avian flu, etc. It's not just bats and bushmeat.

I definitely do agree that our interconnected lives and the ability to fly around the world has put humankind in a position to encroach on animals that are outside of our natural environments. And I agree with @CharlestonGal that our modern lifestyle has brought together, in markets and zoos, species that live on different continents and would never normally interact. In the days of the explorers, animals from different lands were transported by ship to foreign continents, but not to the degree that we have now.

However, humans used to have a much more intimate connection with animals in the flesh that we no longer have. We buy our food in supermarkets instead of hunting and slaughtering these animals ourselves. People all through history have died of many a virus or bacterial infection from animals, like the Black Death stemming from fleas on shipboard rats. They didn't know about germs and the microscopic world and certainly didn't have vaccines or refrigeration in older times. But others diseases were localized to each community. Even among hunter-gatherers and other nomads, they weren't flying to other continents.

Still very disheartening. The Spanish Flu traveled worldwide due to soldiers in World War I, and they didn't have vaccines as we do, so we hoped to have conquered Covid by now. Here in NYC things are shutting down again, and even though I'm triple-vaxed, it's really a mental and emotional challenge to be still going through this.

MOO

remind yourself how many times the Aussies shut down... I am kind of waiting for my job to send us home... but I don't know...I wonder if this time, the people who did not want shut downs will be even more resistant and all of these shut downs obvi cost us $$$.

Something strange is happening in Michigan. They have a similar number of new cases to New Jersey and Massachusetts (~7,000) yet the number of deaths yesterday in Michigan was 140, the number of deaths in Massachusetts was only 46, and New Jersey was only 16.

The previous highest peak in Michigan was 291,000 actively infected in April 2021. Today's number of currently infected is a whopping 440,000. I fear their healthcare system is well beyond it's ability to cope and people are dying because of it. jmo

Michigan COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

are the MI vax rates different? all the authorities still keep saying to vax though it remains unclear what that does in the face of omicron- I can find an MSM article that says anything you want about that situation, IMO.

This is not good. Bars and restaurants in London are voluntarily closing by their own choice, due to sick staff and lack of patrons. They simply can't sustain themselves. Unfortunately, this time they do not have support and funding from the government like they did during government mandated shut downs.

"People are really scared," said Redford, who had been planning to open two new locations in 2022. "Like really, really scared."

UK Covid: London bars and restaurants shut down as Omicron rips through the nation - CNN

as per SA, the faster it goes, the faster it leaves... IMO
possibly already peaked

COVID-19 South African Coronavirus News And Information.

(first time I looked at their graphs so I do not know if there are any caveats- our state cases were frequently undercounted on weekends and would rise on Mondays, e.g.)

China and Russia are about to have a big problem.

"COVID-19 vaccines produced by Johnson & Johnson and China's Sinopharm, as well as the Russian-made Sputnik V, were found to provide little or no protection against the newly emerging Omicron variant, according to a study out this week."

The UK's Omicron warning for America

be careful with that study; not peer reviewed and small-might still be correct, but ... it says 3 out of 13 exposed people mounted an antibody response.

the thing I want to know- remember early on we were wiping and cleaning like mad people.... then CDC said that fomites were not a major cause of infection; transmission was through human breath and close human contact. what about omicron? if there are more viral particles being generated and expelled, are we back to cleaning? ..or just masking and hand washing?

I’m no expert. Never have been. But yet I feel with a certainty, that Omicron combined with the final 2 weeks of 2021, is going to result in a highly traumatic mid-late January, and beyond.

I feel like those of us aware of what Exactly is going on at this very moment, understand that to keep yourself safe, you should plan on taking Every precaution possible for the next 6-8 weeks, while the tsunami passes through.

Yikes. That's the guy that was asking for monoclonal antibody therapy to be flown to him in El Salvador. He then chartered a plane back to US, and I presume got the therapy, but still didn't make it-probably too late. Therapy works best early on.

Yes, I believe that monoclonals and antivirals are best given early, and dexamethasone later (if needed). This is important information to know, especially if you or your loved ones are high risk for Covid 19 complications. JMO.

Little speed demon.... 100% at Cornell University and 40% in the surrounding community are Omicron already.

County confirms at least 133 Omicron-variant cases, including "high rate" of transmission at Cornell - The Ithaca Voice

"A health department announcement stated that of 115 samples sequenced from positive tests among the Cornell University community, all were found to be the Omicron variant—and 18 of 44 positive tests that were sequenced after being found in the Tompkins County population outside of Cornell."

Florida:

Dec 01 - 2,100 new cases.
Dec 15 - 4,137 new cases.
Dec 16 - 6,800 new cases.
Dec 17 - 8,785 new cases.

Up 200% from Dec 1st. 2-3 day doubling time this week.

Florida uses little to no countermeasures and limited vaccines, so this will be interesting to watch. Vaccination rate 62%.

Florida COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

I’m having back surgery on 1/6. With the COVID surge I’m concerned they will kick me out of the hospital sooner than I’m ready to go. And I’m ticked off that these numbers are increasing because of people who do not care about others.
The is what happened with my heart cath and angiography. Delay after delay for months. It was sooooo frustrating. ugh

I’m having back surgery on 1/6. With the COVID surge I’m concerned they will kick me out of the hospital sooner than I’m ready to go. And I’m ticked off that these numbers are increasing because of people who do not care about others.

We are in this mess because of people who do not care about others!!
I am in disbelief that two years into this pandemic we are in some ways
worse than we were at the beginning of the pandemic--- I am angry and
frightened at the same time-- I am elderly and despite doing everything the right
way to avoid getting the virus, I could get it anyway

I'm booked to have my booster shot, mid January which will be exactly 6 months and 3 days since I had my second shot.
Just wondering if the extra 3 days will make a difference to how covered I'll be ?

Also it will be a different one to the one I had. I had Astra Zenica but that's not one they're using for boosters.
I'll be getting Pfizer.

Florida:

Dec 01 - 2,100 new cases.
Dec 15 - 4,137 new cases.
Dec 16 - 6,800 new cases.
Dec 17 - 8,785 new cases.

Up 200% from Dec 1st. 2-3 day doubling time this week.

Florida uses little to no countermeasures and limited vaccines, so this will be interesting to watch. Vaccination rate 62%.

Florida COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

This terrifies me. My sister and I have had to fly three times to Florida since June. Our parents are nearly 90 and in poor health. They are both vaxed and boosted with Moderna, but at their age their immunity is still low.

The last time I was there Omicron was just beginning to take off in South Africa. I returned to NY on December 1st and was already worried about it. Your stats show how much worse it’s gotten since then.

My parents do wear masks but they have trouble adjusting them and their masks always slip off their noses. Which we have tried, time and again, to adjust for them but without us there it won’t work. And Florida has such lackadaisical rules. “Hey, what pandemic?” is the attitude I’ve seen.

I’m already thinking I’ll have to move there because they don’t want to come back to the cold weather in NY, but because of the deadly nonchalance to Covid, I really do not want to live in Florida.

I’m terrified for them and also furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum