Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #105

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/article-691401

COVID-19: Israel reopens to jabbed tourists from non-red countries, US still out

At the moment, the list of red countries includes the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, the UAE, Ethiopia, South Africa, Hungary, Tanzania, Nigeria, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and Turkey, but the committee recommended to only leave the United Arab Emirates, the US, Ethiopia, the United Kingdom, Tanzania, Mexico, Switzerland and Turkey in the red group.

FDA expands Pfizer boosters for more teens as omicron surges

Boosters already are recommended for everyone 16 and older, and federal regulators on Monday decided they’re also warranted for 12- to 15-year-olds once enough time has passed since their last dose.

But the move, coming as classes restart after the holidays, isn’t the final step. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must decide whether to recommend boosters for the younger teens. Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC’s director, is expected to rule later this week.

The FDA also said everyone 12 and older eligible for a booster can get one as early as five months after their last dose rather than six months.

FDA authorizes Covid vaccine boosters for children 12-15 (nbcnews.com)

The timing of booster shots was shortened to five months after the initial series.

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday cleared the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 booster dose for children ages 12 to 15.

The omicron variant is spreading rapidly among younger people in the U.S. According to NBC News data, the country set a record Sunday for total pediatric patients hospitalized with confirmed and suspected Covid, pointing to the need for young teens to be vaccinated.

The FDA also shortened the timing of booster shots from six months to five months after the initial series of shots, based on Israeli research, for everyone over age 12...

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former director of the FDA, on Face the Nation yesterday. He says that the nation (not individual regions of the nation) should see an omicron peak by the end of February, based on the UK and South Africa experience, with a two month wave of omicron from start to finish. He says that the northeast and Florida should peak two weeks from now, but other parts of the country still will go through the wave for their two month periods.

He also says that he doesn't think that schools should mandate booster vaccines for 12-15 year olds, that it depends on their health and that parents and doctors should make those decisions. Healthy 12-15 year olds shouldn't need the boosters, he says studies show that even after 6 months they have a good response to covid, their immune systems are young and healthy and they don't really need booster shots.

He does say that he is concerned about younger children, pre-schoolers and toddlers, since they have more trouble with upper airway infections, and omicron is now understood to cause more of an upper respiratory infection, not a lower respiratory infection like earlier variants. He is really concerned about omicron and this age group.

Also he notes that cloth masks don't protect us from airborn viruses like covid-19, but they do protect from viruses like the flu that are droplets.

So hunkering down until the end of February, when possible, sounds like a good idea. Of course that isn't always possible, so taking precautions like wearing N95 masks when you need to go out is recommended. And getting the booster shot if you are at high risk of serious outcome if you contract the virus.

UGH

We hung out with one person on NYE. One person who has been so cautious and so risk-aware. And she just tested positive.

Guess I'll be picking up rapid tests for hubs and I.

We went for take-out on New Year's Eve because it was our anniversary. We masked up with N95 masks even though we didn't go inside. On the drive home, we got a flat tire. Had to wait for Triple A for some time since it was New Year's Eve, and masked up before he got there and put the "donut" spare on the car. Today I tried to get into the dealer to repair the tire, and the service department person who I usually deal with said he was the only one there, five people were out, either on vaction or sick. So they can't get me in until tomorrow. So essential workers everywhere are being hit with this.

Will have to double mask up tomorrow, would like to wait outside, go for a walk, but the weather prediction is for below freezing. Ugh. Life happens.

When Three Shots Are Not Enough

00VIRUS-LOTSOFSHOTS-facebookJumbo.jpg

If asked to show her vaccine card, Stacey Ricks can choose from three.

Ricks, 49, a kidney transplant recipient who takes immune suppressing medication, didn’t develop antibodies after her first two Moderna shots.

In June, without disclosing she already had received the Moderna shots, she got a dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine before federal health officials had approved anyone for a third shot.

Getting her fourth and fifth shots was trickier. By July, pharmacy records in the Houston area where she lives finally showed her prior shots. Armed with a doctor’s note explaining that she hadn’t developed antibodies, Ricks convinced a pharmacist to give her two doses of the Pfizer vaccine over the summer.

“She kept saying, ‘There’s no clinical data here,’” Ricks recalled. “And I said, ‘Hey, I am the clinical data.’”

Ricks is one of many people with compromised immune systems in the U.S. who have sidestepped government guidelines and received unauthorized fourth or fifth shots.

Israel has already begun rolling out fourth shots — Prime Minister Naftali Bennett announced Sunday that the country would offer additional shots to people age 60 and over, as well as to medical workers, becoming the first country to roll out an additional booster so broadly.

I can't read the article because it is behind a paywall, but it seems to be pondering a theme I've seen bandied about recently - that Omicron will lead to herd immunity. This is simply not backed by scientific literature. As the linked peer reviewed paper points out:

"intense uncontrolled community transmission of SARS-CoV-2 will facilitate the emergence of escape variants irrespective of host immune status. Immune escape is all the more worrying because weak immune responses against SARS-CoV-2 have been reported to occur particularly in mild and asymptomatic infections (Okba et al. 2020; Wajnberg et al. 2020) and sporadically linked to re-infection with SARS-CoV-2."

This paper was published before the emergence of Omicron, which is itself an escape variant. Just as Omicron emerged during uncontrolled community transmission of SARS (as predicted by this paper), evading both vaccines and natural immunity, the explosive uncontrolled community transmission of Omicron will facilitate future escape variants unaffected by herd immunity.

This warning - that uncontrolled transmission will invariably give rise to more and more escape variants - has been sounded over and over again by the scientific community. And it's exactly what happened. Even if the world somehow manages to gain herd immunity against Omicron, the uncontrolled transmission of Omicron will itself facilitate the emergence of other escape variants that will evade antibodies from Omicron just as Omicron evades antibodies of Delta and wild-type. jmo

evolutionary dynamics of endemic human coronaviruses

My brother who went on the cruise and has Covid now- so does everyone else in his family that went- his wife, his wife's sister, and his two college age daughters.
My brother is ridiculous, he went for a 3 mile run yesterday while still testing positive. I don't know what he is trying to prove? I worry about him- shouldnt he be resting rather than challenging the virus. Ugh.
Oh my goodness. Is he a fitness or gym rat?

UGH

We hung out with one person on NYE. One person who has been so cautious and so risk-aware. And she just tested positive.

Guess I'll be picking up rapid tests for hubs and I.
Oh no. Where in the world did she get it?
Good luck finding rapids.
People here are going for PCR’s if they were exposed but have no symptoms.
It’s impossible to find a rapid.
I just did a video chat with my PCP who told me she didn’t trust rapids with Omicron. Just her opinion.
Hope you and hubs are feeling ok!

Tonight I watched CNN’s documentary about Carole King and James Taylor “Just Call Out My Name” and I was aghast :eek: at all the audience without masks until I realized it was about their 2010 concert at The Troubadour! :D The show was a wonderful respite from the insanity that is today. They were our soundtrack of the 1970’s (with Jackson Browne). Those were the days! Sigh.
I have it recorded so I'll be watching it today!

OT: About 10 years ago my daughter surprised me for Mothers Day with to the Hollywood Bowl to see Carol King & James Taylor. I'll NEVER forget it! It really was a dream come true to see them.

What happens when they say they can't find the tests or afford what? $50.00 a month for tests?

New job I guess.
Probably. If they haven’t had a shot by now - doubt this will prod them into getting the vaccine. Lots of job opportunities so they will just move along.
For those Starbucks fans - might be a longer wait at the drive thru...

This is why I don't want to get this, on top of it all, I am overweight (working on it) and 64....had a "friend" who is in her 70s, diabetic, extremely obese- tell me today that "she wasn't afraid to get it" and "you don't see her acting all afraid" implying that me with my mask and eating in my room that I am "afraid" and shouldn't be.

David Christopher MLS on Twitter: "Well . Started having symptoms Fri night & took rapid test Sat night: nose swab neg. Swabbed throat just now & . It's no "little sore throat". Bad headache, bad chills, whole body hurts, razor blades in throat, night sweats, bad drainage & some cough. You don't want this. https://t.co/IJEkY933uW" / Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum