Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dread seeing what these “free” covid tests paid for by insurance will end up doing to our premiums. There are 5 individuals on my policy, so if we each get 8 tests per month, that’s almost $500 per month my insurance company is forking out. Those costs will be passed on to the consumer.

If you had or have trouble ordering free tests, this might be why and here’s what to do.

Covid News: U.S. Website for Free At-Home Tests Launches, With a Few Glitches

But it wasn’t long before the pilot testing revealed some apparent glitches.

Some people living in apartment buildings said they were blocked from ordering tests if other tenants had already put in requests for the same building. Some who receive their mail at post office boxes also reported confusion in ordering, because the site includes a disclaimer that says orders would ship only to valid residential addresses.

In a statement, the Postal Service said the problems were confined to “a small percentage of orders” and recommended that customers file a service request or contact the Postal Service help desk at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).

If you had or have trouble ordering free tests, this might be why and here’s what to do.

Covid News: U.S. Website for Free At-Home Tests Launches, With a Few Glitches

But it wasn’t long before the pilot testing revealed some apparent glitches.

Some people living in apartment buildings said they were blocked from ordering tests if other tenants had already put in requests for the same building. Some who receive their mail at post office boxes also reported confusion in ordering, because the site includes a disclaimer that says orders would ship only to valid residential addresses.

In a statement, the Postal Service said the problems were confined to “a small percentage of orders” and recommended that customers file a service request or contact the Postal Service help desk at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
This^^^ is why I was going to wait until I went to Mom's, to ask about how to order. There are 120 residents with her same address.

I was going to ask the administrator about it because they may have already set up a way to make it happen for each resident.

UPDATE on my trip. ---My daughter was the one who was really unhappy about her Dad and I going to LAX and the Reno Airport 4x.

Her solution:
She just got a brand new car last week. A Bronco Suv...First brand new car she ever bought. It is much nicer than mine.

So she suggested that she and I take a ROAD TRIP to go see her Nana.! I am so happy. It is the best case scenario. She hasn't seen Nana since we went up for Christmas, right before Covid hit.

My mom is excited to see her youngest grandchild. I am really excited to be in the same room with both of them. We plan to leave next week--unless a blizzard's expected.
❤️

This^^^ is why I was going to wait until I went to Mom's, to ask about how to order. There are 120 residents with her same address.

I was going to ask the administrator about it because they may have already set up a way to make it happen for each resident.

UPDATE on my trip. ---My daughter was the one who was really unhappy about her Dad and I going to LAX and the Reno Airport 4x.

Her solution:
She just got a brand new car last week. A Bronco Suv...First brand new car she ever bought. It is much nicer than mine.

So she suggested that she and I take a ROAD TRIP to go see her Nana.! I am so happy. It is the best case scenario. She hasn't seen Nana since we went up for Christmas, right before Covid hit.

My mom is excited to see her youngest grandchild. I am really excited to be in the same room with both of them. We plan to leave next week--unless a blizzard's expected.
❤️

That makes sense @katydid23. I hadn’t realized that apartments could be a problem. I live in an apartment and so does the friend for whom I placed an order. I ordered late Tuesday morning, so I may have been the first for each street address. Whew!

ROAD TRIP!! How fun. Have a wonderful time! :)

I have heard (via MSM), that some people had found that they were testing negative for Omicron on the nasal swab, but positive if they swabbed the throat. Obviously, it's best to test according to the manufacturer's instructions, but I wonder if swabbing the throat first, and then the nose would decrease the chance of a false negative antigen test for Omicron?
All JMO since speculative and no links to hand.

I’ve heard the same about throat swabs. It’s not recommended here to do so because of false results or contamination with food /drinks. We finished nasal swabs at home so my boyfriend bought oral swabs tests which he bought by accident as they ran out of nasal swabs. The first night of symptoms my last nasal swab showed negative although I was running high fever with body aches already. The oral swab showed clear red lines only few hours later I did two tests to be sure .
This is what I used translation below
Alltest Covid-19 Antigen saliv självtest 5-pack - Apotek Hjärtat

All test Covid-19 Antigen saliva is an EC-certified and CE-marked antigen test for diagnosis of Covid-19 in saliva. Suitable for people who experience discomfort from testing through nasal congestion. Contains a single-use test kit designed to detect the new corona virus SARS-CoV-2 which causes COVID-19 in saliva.

COVID-19 Antigen Saliv Self-test provides only preliminary test results. This test is intended for use at home or in workplaces with self-collected saliva from individuals who want to test themselves preventively against COVID-19. “

Small update on day 1,5 started to have symptoms on the evening on Monday.
After fever running to almost 39c (102,2) yesterday and sleeping for 12hours straight at night I had extreme night sweats which are typical omicron symptoms as well as because of fever. I woke up feeling surprisingly well(enough) my temperature dropped to normal 37 c (98,6) my body aches are mostly gone except lower back discomfort. Now I’m dealing with scratchy throat and extremely hoarse voice. I sound like I did nothing my entire life but smoke cigarettes and drink vodka shots :p when I called my mum she didn’t recognise my voice and was terrified of how I sound.

edited to convert temperature from c to f

Last edited:
You don’t have to wait @katydid23. I ordered for a friend and just entered her name and address onto the form from my iPad after I ordered mine. I would order right away if I were you…before the site crashes or they run out. :)

I ordered for several families. I don't think multiple orders from the IP address is prohibited. The physical address seems to prevent additional orders.

I ordered for several families. I don't think multiple orders from the IP address is prohibited. The physical address seems to prevent additional orders.
Right. But I can't order them for My Mom's address , most likely, unless we are the first ones to order. Maybe I should try? But then nobody else can get them and I think there might be some seniors there without close family---my Mom has kids and grandkids that look out for her.

My brother already brought some tests over to her, in case any of us feel the need to use some.

So I will wait and see if the administrators have found a way to order 4 for each resident, because residents have their own little apartments in the complex.

After fever running to almost 39c (102,2) yesterday and sleeping for 12hours straight at night I had extreme night sweats which are typical omicron symptoms as well as because of fever. I woke up feeling surprisingly well(enough) my temperature dropped to normal 37 c (98,6) my body aches are mostly gone except lower back discomfort. Now I’m dealing with scratchy throat and extremely hoarse voice. I sound like I did nothing my entire life but smoke cigarettes and drink vodka shots :p when I called my mum she didn’t recognise my voice and was terrified of how I sound.

Sounds like you maybe had a nice break through? Still keep resting and taking care, and see what the next phase brings. Hopefully you will keep improving from now on.

Sounds like you maybe had a nice break through? Still keep resting and taking care, and see what the next phase brings. Hopefully you will keep improving from now on.

So far I feel better today then yesterday and the
night before. The first night and yesterday was just awful. We will see how things develop covid likes to go on and off with symptoms as I have heard from my friends who had it. I’m binging Netflix and drinking a lot of fluids. Fever is gone so that makes me feel so much better. My boyfriend is still testing negative and is symptom free he is also vaccinated with pfizer.

I did several errands today, I only saw two other people with masks, at DMV. Paying bills, title company, post office, car dealership. I just bought three boxes of masks at Costco the other day.

I bought a box of masks at Costco last week-- they were very reasonably
priced and white in co!or. When I got home, opened the box and put a
mask on, I was shocked at tne poor quality. The ear loops were so long
and lax-- the mask just sort of hung off of my face--: I threw them away--
the line to return stuff was so long the last time I was there, it just
wasnt worth it to get into that line with a bunch of unmasked Floridians

Her solution:

❤️

I can "feel" your joy.... sometimes there is just nothing better than a ROAD TRIP!!!

I dread seeing what these “free” covid tests paid for by insurance will end up doing to our premiums. There are 5 individuals on my policy, so if we each get 8 tests per month, that’s almost $500 per month my insurance company is forking out. Those costs will be passed on to the consumer.

It will take 6 months for Private Insurance to gear up for reimbursement, . (45 yo with billing experience). Paper claims from the insured are discouraged, time consuming, labor intense, ICD codes and criteria will need establishment and can take months for reimbursement. PI has already spoken to issues, lack of staff, IT systems, codes, and process for manual claims, and were not consulted prior to the announcement. Reimbursement fee schedules are usually based off Medicare, as a jumping off point and most PP reimbursement is generally 15% to 20% below the Medcare allowable.

Folks won't be "getting their money back" quickly and probably much less than paid for the test kits. All deductibles will be applied and reimbursement is usually at 80% of allowed amount. I would encourage ALL to contact your insurance plan prior to purchase and discuss reimbursement.

Medicare will not be covering the test kits. It will require congressional amendment for coverage. Part B Medicare (out patient, medical supplies) does not cover diagnosis home testing, the exception is Diabetic supplies under separate congressional act. I don't see coverage under part D, with out a doctors visit and written doctors order, for each kit. No coverage, no reimbursement all out of pocket for Medicare.

Buyer beware, before an outlay of funds, especially if insured are counting on a quick turn around of funds.

Moo....

Good update. :) Maybe the worst is behind you? Take good care of yourself to give your body the best shot of putting this behind you. So far bf is well? I'm relieved for you. Now stay off the cigarettes and vodka shots you little rebel. :)

I bought a box of masks at Costco last week-- they were very reasonably
priced and white in co!or. When I got home, opened the box and put a
mask on, I was shocked at tne poor quality. The ear loops were so long
and lax-- the mask just sort of hung off of my face--: I threw them away--
the line to return stuff was so long the last time I was there, it just
wasnt worth it to get into that line with a bunch of unmasked Floridians

Same at our Costco here, I have a return from Christmas that I need to make, but I don't want to get into lines with unmasked Ohioans.

Thanks, this is encouraging.

From the article:

Since early last week, new cases in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey and New York have fallen by more than 30 percent. They’re down by more than 10 percent in Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. In California, cases may have peaked.

“Let’s be clear on this — we are winning,” Mayor Eric Adams of New York said yesterday. Kathy Hochul, the governor of New York State, said during a budget speech, “We hope to close the books on this winter surge soon.”

If anything, the official Covid numbers probably understate the actual declines, because test results are often a few days behind reality....

The U.S. seems to be following a similar Omicron pattern as South Africa, Britain and several other countries: A rapid, enormous surge for about a month, followed by a rapid decline — first in cases, then hospitalizations and finally deaths.

Good update. :) Maybe the worst is behind you? Take good care of yourself to give your body the best shot of putting this behind you. So far bf is well? I'm relieved for you. Now stay off the cigarettes and vodka shots you little rebel. :)

I hope that the worst is behind me. Yes he is feeling good, we did saliva home test and he was negative as of today. Maybe he will not catch it? I have heard of not everyone in household gets infected. Some get infected in different times , who understands covid anymore o_O . It often makes no sense. Haha Now I gotta stay off my vodka shots and cigarettes :p( just kidding I never smoked in my entire life!). I just hope that my hoarse voice won’t stick around for a long time. As of now my main symptoms is throat that feels bad but not painful and hoarse voice . Interestingly that was my first symptom also I have a bad headache behind my eyes.

It will take 6 months for Private Insurance to gear up for reimbursement, . (45 yo with billing experience). Paper claims from the insured are discouraged, time consuming, labor intense, ICD codes and criteria will need establishment and can take months for reimbursement. PI has already spoken to issues, lack of staff, IT systems, codes, and process for manual claims, and were not consulted prior to the announcement. Reimbursement fee schedules are usually based off Medicare, as a jumping off point and most PP reimbursement is generally 15% to 20% below the Medcare allowable.

Folks won't be "getting their money back" quickly and probably much less than paid for the test kits. All deductibles will be applied and reimbursement is usually at 80% of allowed amount. I would encourage ALL to contact your insurance plan prior to purchase and discuss reimbursement.

Medicare will not be covering the test kits. It will require congressional amendment for coverage. Part B Medicare (out patient, medical supplies) does not cover diagnosis home testing, the exception is Diabetic supplies under separate congressional act. I don't see coverage under part D, with out a doctors visit and written doctors order, for each kit. No coverage, no reimbursement all out of pocket for Medicare.

Buyer beware, before an outlay of funds, especially if insured are counting on a quick turn around of funds.

Moo....

At this time, Original Medicare does not pay for over-the-counter COVID-19 tests. People with Original Medicare can pick up free at-home tests from community health centers and Medicare-certified health clinics.
Source: Coronavirus Test Coverage

I've read that free tests for Medicare enrollees will be available at libraries and community centers. MOO but they will be available to us to pick up fairly soon.

What if I’m on Medicare? Federal officials are providing up to 50 million free at-home tests to Medicare-certified health clinics and community health centers. If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, check with that plan to see if it will pay for tests. Medicare enrollees can also use the federal free-test website.
Source: How Can I Get a Free COVID Test at Home?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member