Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how they plan on keeping track on who gets the masks. How many masks can each person get? Not much info yet.

White House says it will distribute 400 million free N95 masks to protect against omicron

According to this NBC article, a maximum of three masks per person.

I can imagine the stampede. All the dedicated mask-wearers will rush in but all the non-maskers will steer clear.

I hope each pharmacy and community center crafts some intelligent system of distribution. No one wants to be in a pushing, shoving crowd, especially during Covid. I would wait a day or two if I didn't worry about supplies running out. I still have an unused N95 from the start of Covid, but it's the kind with the valve which we aren't supposed to use anymore.

White House says it will distribute 400 million free N95 masks to protect against omicron (nbcnews.com)

The administration is struggling to clearly communicate what type of masks people should be wearing amid a surge of omicron cases.

RSBM.

I agree that the messaging on masks could have been much clearer. One thing that has stood out to me throughout this pandemic, is how many people view things as black/white issues, rather than appreciating the full spectrum of information. Unfortunately, I think that the US government, (and others), erred on the issue of masking early in the pandemic, then had to backtrack. That compiled with politicization of the issue, plus poor communication, including a lack of realization that a vast swathe of the public doesn't understand scientific nuance has added to this confusion, IMO.

I think a well-fitting cloth mask is better than no mask at all.
Better still is a surgical mask.
Then a KF94 (Korean standard) or KN95 (Chinese standard), and/or an N-95 (US NIOSH standard). I believe that European FFP2 masks are similar to N95s, JMO.
FFP standards - Wikipedia

ETA more information about mask standards (and to correct K mask abbreviation).

Explainer: N95? KF94? Which mask is best at protecting against COVID-19

Last edited:
White House says it will distribute 400 million free N95 masks to protect against omicron

I can imagine the stampede. All the dedicated mask-wearers will rush in but all the non-maskers will steer clear.

I hope each pharmacy and community center crafts some intelligent system of distribution. No one wants to be in a pushing, shoving crowd, especially during Covid. I would wait a day or two if I didn't worry about supplies running out. I still have an unused N95 from the start of Covid, but it's the kind with the valve which we aren't supposed to use anymore.

Unless the masks are mailed, similar to Covid home tests, I wouldn’t even bother going in person to get them. With the spread of omicron, it’s hardly worth the risk. I think most people who now wear masks and are concerned about the effectiveness of masks already have N95s or KN95s. I have a box of US made N95 masks made by Demetech, and a number of better KN95s. The N95 masks can be expensive, so I can see going in person if cost is an issue. But how long will the 3 masks last? I think the real purpose here is to present a clear message that the use of higher quality masks are encouraged by the government.

I like these as well. I bought very similar KN94 masks from a different seller, like these, also on Amazon. I read through all the reviews and have now placed two orders with this seller over the past year or two. I have been very pleased with them. I do find that I need to extend the ear elastic bands by tying each side of them together with a paper clip behind my head to get a tighter fit, but that's no problem, I keep the clips in my car and have a system all worked out. These masks are very tight and comfortable.

Recently I bought some N95 masks at Grainger, they are very good as well. I ordered small size, and they are very tight, but that's okay, I guess that is how they should be. At Grainger you order them online and pay for them, and they will either deliver them or you can pick them up by curbside at your closest Grainger store. I didn't want to pay the extra shipping charges, so I picked them up curbside when they arrived at the closest Grainger store. These are the "duck bill" kind of N95 masks that sometimes you see the CDC director wearing. They are NIOSH certified and made by 3M.

edited typos
These masks come with a little white plastic clip in each package that you can use for the elastics at the back of your head but we've never used them.

Unless the masks are mailed, similar to Covid home tests, I wouldn’t even bother going in person to get them. With the spread of omicron, it’s hardly worth the risk. I think most people who now wear masks and are concerned about the effectiveness of masks already have N95s or KN95s. I have a box of US made N95 masks made by Demetech, and a number of better KN95s. The N95 masks can be expensive, so I can see going in person if cost is an issue. But how long will the 3 masks last? I think the real purpose here is to present a clear message that the use of higher quality masks are encouraged by the government.

Something I'm wondering about. The government is dipping into a stockpile to give out these masks. How are they going to replenish that stockpile? Is that going to make it harder to find N95s again if that's what someone wants to order/buy?

Something I'm wondering about. The government is dipping into a stockpile to give out these masks. How are they going to replenish that stockpile? Is that going to make it harder to find N95s again if that's what someone wants to order/buy?
Why can't they replenish them? They are need now, aren't they? Why hold them back?

Well you ask how? I assumed that you thought that they should be left in the stockpile.

That would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Perhaps, read my question again. You just aren't understanding what I asked. I asked how they are replacing them. That's all. Does this mean manufacturers are going to be under a contract to get that stockpile replenished quickly? Is this going to have an effect on the number of masks available at the retail level?

That would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Perhaps, read my question again. You just aren't understanding what I asked. I asked how they are replacing them. That's all. Does this mean manufacturers are going to be under a contract to get that stockpile replenished quickly? Is this going to have an effect on the number of masks available at the retail level?

Masks have a storage life, I'm not sure how long. Maybe it makes sense to distribute them and order new ones.

Masks have a storage life, I'm not sure how long. Maybe it makes sense to distribute them and order new ones.

What Is the Defense Production Act?

A U.S. President can activate the Defense Production Act, which gives the president the right to control some manufacturing if the country is in a state of emergency. Both Trump and Biden have used the DPA since Covid became a national emergency, to produce vaccines and masks.

The reason we have enough N95s now is because last year, as we all remember, there were not even enough in the stockpile for health care workers. Since then the DPA has enabled the government to ramp up production and IMO it will continue to be used to replenish.

That's how I feel. The risk of standing in a line seems to counterbalance the benefit of the masks. Although, if they made it a drive-up distribution, I'd go.

Why can't they replenish them? They are need now, aren't they? Why hold them back?
Right. This makes sense to rotate them out ahead of expiration dates and replenish with new ones. Our last stockpile prior to the pandemic had largely expired. No need to wait six months before the next expiration. Do it occasionally well before so PPE doesn't go to waste.

I guess we will have to cover the n95 masks with a cloth masks like the healthcare workers did at the beginning when there was a shortage of protective gear. My daughter is a NP in NICU for a major hospital system. The hospital is building it’s own facility that will produce its own PPE.

Worth noting- I do think when some in the general public hear that omicron has peaked, then things are safe again.

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing

·
1h

REMINDER—when a #COVID19 wave
USMWRNUZ_20220120-025406.png
crests— we are only 50% through the wave… the other **half of all cases occur on the way down**.
HFZJEAHM_20220120-025406.png
Thus, keep in mind— hitting peak means we are only halfway through a marathon. Many places have not peaked yet. Stay vigilant.
HFZJEAHM_20220120-025406.png

Insane!

COVID-19: Lifting of England's rules over facemasks, passports and work from home announced - with self-isolation set to go in March | UK News | Sky News

COVID-19: Lifting of England's rules over face masks, passports and work from home announced - with self-isolation set to go in March

All restrictions end immediately and need to test or isolate if you are positive ends March 24th, In a few weeks time there will be no LFT or PCR unless a medical need. PM says they now need to live with it and no more restrictions. Only place that will still ask but not enforce face masks is London transport for next few weeks. Employees told to get staff back in office as town and city centre suffering. No idea how it will play out still averaging 400 deaths a day.

1. Working from home guidance ends today and from tomorrow, face masks will no longer be required in any classrooms
  2. From next Thursday, masks will not be mandated anywhere and Covid passes will no longer be needed at large events
  3. .
  4. People who test positive for Covid will still have to self-isolate but Javid said that could not continue forever -proposed date for change.
  5. The UK has reported 108,069 new daily Covid cases and 359 deaths with Covid on Wednesday
  6. From March 24th there will be no requirement for infected people to self isolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24