Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many ethical questions. And would the elderly get treated over the unvaxxed? Or would the unvaxxed trump over all?

Sophie's Choice in Spades.
I think they 'write off' the elderly because they figure their life is almost over anyway. So they might give an unvaxxed younger person treatment like the anti-bodies before an 80 her old, on those grounds?

So many ethical questions. And would the elderly get treated over the unvaxxed? Or would the unvaxxed trump over all?

Sophie's Choice in Spades.
I think they 'write off' the elderly because they figure their life is almost over anyway. So they might give an unvaxxed younger person treatment like the anti-bodies before an 80 her old, on those grounds?
I posted the guidelines from NIH on the previous thread. It is a tier system, highest priority to unvaccinated, by age, placing the scale vaccinated on the lower end for treatment. Much has been posted on this and last thread about this. Additional a component for ethnicity and a few other factors.

My 80ish neighbor fully vaccinated is in ICU can't get monoclonal antibodies but three prisoners, unvaccinated from the local jail did. The daughter watched this unfold, they were a higher priority set by the government.

Moo
We don't treasure the elderly here like many cultures do. We don't honour their wisdom, we treat them like throwaways. :(

OR...
Omicron's not the last variant we'll see. Will the next one be bad?
https://www.livescience.com › coronavirus-variants-afte...

3 days ago — Experts told Live Science that they wouldn't be surprised if a troublesome new coronavirus variant crops up this year — but that it's ...
That's always possible but reading the article in it's entirety does give me some hope.
"In general, there are physical and genetic constraints that limit how much SARS-CoV-2 can evolve, Chandran noted. Some of these constraints prevent the virus from becoming infinitely more infectious, and for this reason, scientists expect that the transmissibility of the virus will eventually level off and stop increasing, Nature reported.

On a physical level, "viruses have to walk this fine line between stability and instability," and this balancing act limits their transmissibility, Chandran said. A virus is basically a microscopic box full of genetic material, and that box must be sturdy enough to keep the genetic material safe in the body and in the outside world. But to infect cells, the box must open to let the virus's genetic material out. Too stable, and the virus can't open up and infect cells as efficiently; too unstable, and the virus won't survive for long after being spewed out in someone's sneeze, Chandran said.
And on a genetic level, the virus can only accumulate so many mutations before it begins to malfunction, he said.
For example, the virus needs its spike protein to fit snugly into a receptor on human cells in order to trigger infection. Spike mutations can help the microbe hide from antibodies to past variants; omicron carries about 30 mutations in its spike, some of which help the variant evade the immune system. But there's likely a limit to how many mutations the spike can accommodate before its ability to plug into human cells starts to falter, Chandran said.
Broadly speaking, "As more and more people become infected and/or vaccinated, particularly multiple times, they will build up higher levels of immunity, potentially against different variants," Mossman told Live Science. "As this general level of immunity increases within populations, and around the world, the overall evolution of SARS-CoV-2 will likely decline, and the pandemic will become endemic.
This is how the pandemic could end — but we'll likely have to face new variants of concern until then."

I believe that to be the case--
So as an elderly person I have been a good citizen, worked hard,
raised kids, paid my taxes and obeyed the law, but my life counts less
than some younger prisoner who may have murdered somebody???
GMAB

I believe that to be the case--
So as an elderly person I have been a good citizen, worked hard,
raised kids, paid my taxes and obeyed the law, but my life counts less
than some younger prisoner who may have murdered somebody???
GMAB

This is infuriating that they are giving away therapies to convicted murders over good law-abiding citizens.

Is the triage based largely on age? Does anyone know? I heard second hand today of a healthy 69 yr old vaxed woman who recently died of COVID... hospitalized but no one had more information.

This may have been linked before. Here’s what the NIH says about providing covid care when supplies are short…

https://www.covid19treatmentguideli...ient-prioritization-for-outpatient-therapies/

Patient Prioritization for Treatment

The Panel prioritized the following risk groups for anti-SARS-CoV-2 therapy based on 4 key elements: age, vaccination status, immune status, and clinical risk factors. The groups are listed by tier in descending order of priority.

For a list of risk factors, see the CDC webpage Underlying Medical Conditions Associated with High Risk for Severe COVID-19.

This is followed by a chart explaining tiers and treatment.

I'll bet I'm not the only one, haven't been to hairdresser for two years. My hair is now gray. When this is over, I may do something else with it, but, thankfully, hubby likes it.

Covid in general scares me! I haven't had my hair professionally done in over a year! I'm kind of proud of myself. I've learned to cut my own hair, color it and even add highlights! It looks really nice if you ask me. YouTube is my friend. LOL :D

This may have been linked before. Here’s what the NIH says about providing covid care when supplies are short…

https://www.covid19treatmentguideli...ient-prioritization-for-outpatient-therapies/

The Panel prioritized the following risk groups for anti-SARS-CoV-2 therapy based on 4 key elements: age, vaccination status, immune status, and clinical risk factors. The groups are listed by tier in descending order of priority.

For a list of risk factors, see the CDC webpage Underlying Medical Conditions Associated with High Risk for Severe COVID-19.

Thank you!!! This is an OUTPATIENT guide, not in patient. I keep hearing about a point system. Could the Risk Ratio (RR) be where the points are coming from.

It also refers to the NIH guide which again.

Some Covid news from The Guardian:

Biden administration threatens to claw back Covid aid from Arizona over anti-mask policies

Edited post for focus

@SouthAussie , this is a great article to demonstrate how "guidance" , "suggestions" that are not law are being used to retract Covid funds. There was NOTHING in any of the funding from Congress requiring any type of require me to wear a mask to receive the funds or that money be divided evenly among cities per population.

Nope, this will not stand up in court. Now Congress could pass a mask law, which they did not. Didn't even discuss adding to any of the bills passed.

Here we go, millions on attorneys.
Moo..

thanks- they really do prioritize age which is supported by the severe illness and death stats... they are valuing the elderly.

Why's isn't the media reporting this???

Here the HHS site, easy lay read. Answers a million questions and clearly outline the tier process and equitable access.

COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS

Early intervention with monoclonal antibody treatment may reduce the risk of severe illness and hospitalization for people with COVID-19 who are at high risk of developing more serious illness. This webpage includes resources that can help you ensure rapid access to monoclonal antibody treatment for your high-risk COVID-19 patients.

If you actually read this, they are telling health care providers to not use these infusions in the already hospitalized or those receiving oxygen therapy. It is supposed to be administered early after a positive test before extreme illness.

I've been ranting on the thread for days about my 80ish, former community volunteer leader, former principal FULLY vaccinated AND boosted neighbor, the story was idenital, to the one posted. She couldn't treat from her Dr, total to take pain fever deliver, 3 days later carried out in a resuce squad, now ICU critical, daughters been fighting for days for monoclonal antibody, hospital refuses to tranfer her as daughter does not have POA. Three prisoners from the jail, unvaccinated, under 40, received IV monoclonal antibodies , in the same ICU, same doctor, while the daughter watched.

Per the NIH guidelines I posted yesterday, she's a tier 4, the prisoners were a tier 1.

I'm seeing many fully vaccinated infected. The media is daily speaking to, healthcare shortages due to fully vaccinated employee illness. These are fully vaccines and boosted citizens!!!!

We need the therapeutics, that we paid billions to be developed!! Our hospitals are jammed up, staff is sick, we need these drugs we PAID for. Our hospitals, we the citizens deserve better vaccinated or not.

Moo...

I don’t understand this. Monoclonal antibodies aren’t for hospitalized patients. It’s to prevent hospitalization. Nobody would be getting it in ICU as far as I know, not even prisoners. Something got lost in translation from your neighbor’s daughter IMO. Perhaps it was Remdesivir (antiviral) or Dexamethasone, both of which I received when hospitalized with covid almost a year ago. I’m not sure if they are still being used though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obamna