Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have made several visits to my husbands 96 year old father. We've always discussed it with him prior to coming and he wants to have us visit. Visits are not currently allowed but we will visit when his assisted living facility allows it again. It's been very isolating for him.

It's really not been healthy with the isolation at all. :(

What difference do you see between your behavior and theirs?

I don't understand the Question-- I am trying to keep my husband and myself
Safe from Covid--- I feel that his stepdaughter, given the circumstances of
Her lifestyle and travel issues as well (flying), represent a significant risk given
The highly transmissible variant that is surging in our country.

It's really not been healthy with the isolation at all. :(
It's been really difficult. I know that social isolation among the elderly has serious effects on their mental and physical health.

Loneliness and Social Isolation Linked to Serious Health Conditions

Health Risks of Loneliness

Although it’s hard to measure social isolation and loneliness precisely, there is strong evidence that many adults aged 50 and older are socially isolated or lonely in ways that put their health at risk. Recent studies found that:

• Social isolation significantly increased a person’s risk of premature death from all causes, a risk that may rival those of smoking, obesity, and physical inactivity.1
  • Social isolation was associated with about a 50% percent increased risk of dementia.1
  • Poor social relationships (characterized by social isolation or loneliness) was associated with a 29% increased risk of heart disease and a 32% increased risk of stroke.1
  • Loneliness was associated with higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide.
  • Loneliness among heart failure patients was associated with a nearly 4 times increased risk of death, 68% increased risk of hospitalization, and 57% increased risk of emergency department visits.

I don't understand the Question-- I am trying to keep my husband and myself
Safe from Covid--- I feel that his stepdaughter, given the circumstances of
Her lifestyle and travel issues as well (flying), represent a significant risk given
The highly transmissible variant that is surging in our country.

Would you feel safer if she drove? Have you been driving or flying back and forth? Driving, isn't it?

We have made several visits to my husbands 96 year old father. We've always discussed it with him prior to coming and he wants to have us visit. Visits are not currently allowed but we will visit when his assisted living facility allows it again. It's been very isolating for him.

I am assuming visits are not allowed now because of Omicron--
Evaluation of risk changes as this virus mutates - hopefully Omicron
will soon be in our rear-view mirror and you will be able to visit your father in law.

If you believe in family first you don't risk giving your elderly father with co-morbidities a virus that could make him very sick or kill him
I would never forgive myself if I infected an older relative by being careless. My mother died during this pandemic of unrelated causes and before that I only dared visiting her regularly because I was able to work from home and was pretty much isolating for a while. With omicron's contagiousness and everyone back to work I would rather wait. Mom would understand.

I would never forgive myself if I infected an older relative by being careless. My mother died during this pandemic of unrelated causes and before that I only dared visiting her regularly because I was able to work from home and was pretty much isolating for a while. With omicron's contagiousness and everyone back to work I would rather wait. Mom would understand.

It is such a personal decision, for everyone.

One of my best friends has tears in her eyes every time she speaks of her (now deceased) elderly mother. Because she couldn't see her prior to her passing (of dementia, in a nursing home, in 2020) due to covid restrictions. Which, of course, due to the dementia her mother couldn't understand.

The main thing (imo) is to not live with regret. If that is possible.

It is such a personal decision, for everyone.
One of my best friends has tears in her eyes every time she speaks of her (now deceased) elderly mother. Because she couldn't see her prior to her passing (of dementia, in a nursing home, in 2020) due to covid restrictions. Which, of course, due to the dementia her mother couldn't understand.

The main thing (imo) is to not live with regret.
Definitely. Luckily my mother lived at home. My aunt died in a nursing home right before Covid started. She had dementia but was doing relatively well in that regard, due to our visits. During Covid visitors were not allowed for many months. That would have been devastating for her.

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year, and millions of people will be travelling to their hometowns around the country. The CCP hasn't banned travel during Chinese New Year this year, but they are encouraging people not to travel.

If there are enough covid cases that occur during the Olympics, there is concern that Beijing will close its borders and that re-entry may be difficult for Beijing residents who visited their families in regions outside of Beijing during the week-long New Year holiday.

Prior to spring 2020 and covid, my husband and I travelled to Beijing every spring to spend Chinese New Year with family, and I had an agreement with my employer that I would work in Beijing every spring semester so that we could be with family each year as my mother in law and father in law were aging and this allowed us to spend some time with them every year. That stopped abruptly in spring 2020, of course, with Covid.

We haven't been able to return yet, but are hoping that we can do so by this summer. At the present time, foreigners can enter if they have a Chinese green card (residence permit) - which I have - they are issued for work or family reasons. For awhile, they were requiring negative antibody tests plus a PCR test to enter Beijing and obtain a health declaration QR code (after the 14 day quarantine and another negative PCR test). The guidelines keep changing, so not sure what they will be about a month or two after the Olympics and its impact. We'll know more then.

Good article below on some of the vaccines that China is developing - some with Germany - and its own mRNA vaccine under development, and the challenges they are facing with the Winter Olympics.

China’s zero-COVID strategy: what happens next?

"China’s stringent zero-COVID strategy is likely to face its toughest test yet in the next few weeks, as millions of people travel around the country for Chinese New Year, and the Winter Olympics begin in Beijing."

have some long life noodles for me- we all need them this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member