Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is Chinese New Year, and millions of people will be travelling to their hometowns around the country. The CCP hasn't banned travel during Chinese New Year this year, but they are encouraging people not to travel.

If there are enough covid cases that occur during the Olympics, there is concern that Beijing will close its borders and that re-entry may be difficult for Beijing residents who visited their families in regions outside of Beijing during the week-long New Year holiday.

Prior to spring 2020 and covid, my husband and I travelled to Beijing every spring to spend Chinese New Year with family, and I had an agreement with my employer that I would work in Beijing every spring semester so that we could be with family each year as my mother in law and father in law were aging and this allowed us to spend some time with them every year. That stopped abruptly in spring 2020, of course, with Covid.

We haven't been able to return yet, but are hoping that we can do so by this summer. At the present time, foreigners can enter if they have a Chinese green card (residence permit) - which I have - they are issued for work or family reasons. For awhile, they were requiring negative antibody tests plus a PCR test to enter Beijing and obtain a health declaration QR code (after the 14 day quarantine and another negative PCR test). The guidelines keep changing, so not sure what they will be about a month or two after the Olympics and its impact. We'll know more then.

Good article below on some of the vaccines that China is developing - some with Germany - and its own mRNA vaccine under development, and the challenges they are facing with the Winter Olympics.

China’s zero-COVID strategy: what happens next?

"China’s stringent zero-COVID strategy is likely to face its toughest test yet in the next few weeks, as millions of people travel around the country for Chinese New Year, and the Winter Olympics begin in Beijing."

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year, and millions of people will be travelling to their hometowns around the country. The CCP hasn't banned travel during Chinese New Year this year, but they are encouraging people not to travel.

If there are enough covid cases that occur during the Olympics, there is concern that Beijing will close its borders and that re-entry may be difficult for Beijing residents who visited their families in regions outside of Beijing during the week-long New Year holiday.

Prior to spring 2020 and covid, my husband and I travelled to Beijing every spring to spend Chinese New Year with family, and I had an agreement with my employer that I would work in Beijing every spring semester so that we could be with family each year as my mother in law and father in law were aging and this allowed us to spend some time with them every year. That stopped abruptly in spring 2020, of course, with Covid.

We haven't been able to return yet, but are hoping that we can do so by this summer. At the present time, foreigners can enter if they have a Chinese green card (residence permit) - which I have - they are issued for work or family reasons. For awhile, they were requiring negative antibody tests plus a PCR test to enter Beijing and obtain a health declaration QR code (after the 14 day quarantine and another negative PCR test). The guidelines keep changing, so not sure what they will be about a month or two after the Olympics and its impact. We'll know more then.

Good article below on some of the vaccines that China is developing - some with Germany - and its own mRNA vaccine under development, and the challenges they are facing with the Winter Olympics.

"China’s stringent zero-COVID strategy is likely to face its toughest test yet in the next few weeks, as millions of people travel around the country for Chinese New Year, and the Winter Olympics begin in Beijing."

Happy Chinese New Year (almost) @Sundog!

I hope for a better and safe year for you and all Asians who celebrate tomorrow.

If I recall correctly, Lunar New Year in 2020 came right on the heels of Covid in Wuhan, which led to the lockdown of that city, but millions of people still traveled for the new year.

I recall going to my hair salon, which is owned and operated by Chinese here in NYC, and it was empty. This was at the very start of the pandemic and they endured some harsh experiences.

I know China has a centralized, authoritarian government and I am not excited that the Olympics are going forward in light of the virus still being with us. Then if it spreads, the Chinese government takes very harsh measures against its people.

Therefore I am praying that the Olympics will not turn into a super-spreader event, and that you get to see your in-laws.

I virtually hand you a red envelope for your New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year (almost) @Sundog!

I hope for a better and safe year for you and all Asians who celebrate tomorrow.

If I recall correctly, Lunar New Year in 2020 came right on the heels of Covid in Wuhan, which led to the lockdown of that city, but millions of people still traveled for the new year.

I recall going to my hair salon, which is owned and operated by Chinese here in NYC, and it was empty. This was at the very start of the pandemic and they endured some harsh experiences.

I know China has a centralized, authoritarian government and I am not excited that the Olympics are going forward in light of the virus still being with us. Then if it spreads, the Chinese government takes very harsh measures against its people.

Therefore I am praying that the Olympics will not turn into a super-spreader event, and that you get to see your in-laws.

I virtually hand you a red envelope for your New Year!

Thank you for the good wishes and the virtual red envelope! I'll spend it wisely!

This just boggles the mind! What were they thinking?!?! We are still under a mask mandate in L.A. County yet these entitled idiots happily smile for photos, without masks in a sea of people! GAH!!!
Here are the rules:
1. Proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test within 48 hours of the game OR a negative antigen test within 24 hours of the game.
2. Photo I.D.
*Masks must be worn AT ALL TIMES unless actively eating or drinking.
Official Site of the Los Angeles Rams

Well my husband texted my stepdaughter- her answer was that family and relationships come first. and that is that. Relationships do not supercede the issue of life and death. At this point she does not want to discuss anything further and said for now she does not want to speak to her father. I think this is a huge over-reaction. She is completely ignoring the reality of the pandemic and how that has changed the way families get together and relate. As the pandemic changes, relationships change. When the risk is low families can get together. When the risk increases as it is now, family relationships may have to get put on hold for a little bit of time. This variant will recede and when it does, people can take more risks. I feel bad about this situation but i feel I have done what I have to do to protect my husband and myself. The pandemic is a reality, though if you look around at football stadiums and such, you can see that many people ignore reality.

Last edited:
US has a lot more than 23 athletes competing in the games. 23 are just the ones highlighted in the article that presumably have a good shot at medaling.

Team USA sent off to Beijing on Delta charter from Los Angeles (nbcsports.com)

Around 100 U.S. Olympic team athletes jetted off to Beijing via Delta charter flight out of Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday.

U.S. Olympians don’t typically travel as a team (at least, not in this large of a group), but the pandemic and travel restrictions made the charter more feasible.

More athletes on the 224-member Olympic team will be on later flights, some out of Europe where they have trained and competed this season...

As much as I enjoy the Winter Olympics, I think the Games should have been cancelled. The Summer Olympics were postponed for a year due to the pandemic, and the Winter Olympics could just as easily be postponed until next year. I hope the event doesn't end up being a major super-spreader. Prayers for the good health and wellness of all the athletes.

Well my husband texted my stepdaughter- her answer was that family and relationships come first. and that is that. Relationships do not supercede the issue of life and death. At this point she does not want to discuss anything further and said for now she does not want to speak to her father. I think this is a huge over-reaction. She is completely ignoring the reality of the pandemic and how that has changed the way families get together and relate. As the pandemic changes, relationships change. When the risk is low families can get together. When the risk increases as it is now, family relationships may have to get put on hold for a little bit of time. This variant will recede and when it does, people can take more risks. I feel bad about this situation but i feel I have done what I have to do to protect my husband and myself. The pandemic is a reality, though if you look around at football stadiums and such, you can see that many people ignore reality.
Is your husband upset over it? I take it she is not going to come over now? That is not necessarily a bad thing, given the situation.

Xīnnián hǎo Sundog (I hope I didn't mess that up too bad lol). I'm sorry you won't be able to be with your family this year.

Is your husband upset over it? I take it she is not going to come over now? That is not necessarily a bad thing, given the situation.

He is somewhat upset- he is ok though. Family relationships don't trump life and death situations. I don't understand how some people simply do not understand the situation we are in. It boggles my mind! No she is not coming and that is not a bad thing. She has no conception of the idea that she could expose her father to a deadly virus to which he is vulnerable.

Team USA sent off to Beijing on Delta charter from Los Angeles (nbcsports.com)

Around 100 U.S. Olympic team athletes jetted off to Beijing via Delta charter flight out of Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday.

U.S. Olympians don’t typically travel as a team (at least, not in this large of a group), but the pandemic and travel restrictions made the charter more feasible.

More athletes on the 224-member Olympic team will be on later flights, some out of Europe where they have trained and competed this season...

As much as I enjoy the Winter Olympics, I think the Games should have been cancelled. The Summer Olympics were postponed for a year due to the pandemic, and the Winter Olympics could just as easily be postponed until next year. I hope the event doesn't end up being a major super-spreader. Prayers for the good health and wellness of all the athletes.

There is no question that the olympics should have been cancelled.

He is somewhat upset- he is ok though. Family relationships don't trump life and death situations. I don't understand how some people simply do not understand the situation we are in. It boggles my mind! No she is not coming and that is not a bad thing. She has no conception of the idea that she could expose her father to a deadly virus to which he is vulnerable.

MOO

<modsnip> I respect any individual’s choice to be vaccinated or not. I don’t consider a person with a different opinion to be any less intelligent, than myself.

Please notice that this entire post is my opinion. Facts are readily available for anyone who chooses to look at the science. MOO

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO <modsnip> I respect any individual’s choice to be vaccinated or not. I don’t consider a person with a different opinion to be any less intelligent, than myself.

Please notice that this entire post is my opinion. Facts are readily available for anyone who chooses to look at the science. MOO

MOO
They are taking lots of room in the hospitals, and then our government in its ultimate wisdom is prioritizing hard to find treatments (antibodies and Pfizer pills) for unvaccinated because they are most likely to die. What exactly is keeping them unvaccinated, and why should they be prioritized for treatments even if they are most likely to die because they refuse to be vaccinated? I really fail to see why I should respect a choice like they are making. For whatever reason, that choice only applies to the vaccine, but not pills or antibodies (which also carry some risks) or going to the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO, family first.

If you believe in family first you don't risk giving your elderly father with co-morbidities a virus that could make him very sick or kill him
We have made several visits to my husbands 96 year old father. We've always discussed it with him prior to coming and he wants to have us visit. Visits are not currently allowed but we will visit when his assisted living facility allows it again. It's been very isolating for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper