Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here at the Retirement home our director is having a meeting today- I happened to see the notes when I was downstairs getting mail/coffee...the only Covid subjects were, she is asking if anyone has visitors that are unvaccinated - that they dine in the apartments. Also, she is saying masks are recommended everywhere (I find this laughable because her and her husband who helps out here, never wear them-nor does anyone else) and that she says we will return to "normal" soon. Whatever normal is- since I don't see any difference between then and now.

I know for sure that some have had Covid here. In fact, I was coughed at by a "friend" who had been holed up in his room, but ventured out. He said "don't worry, I am at the end of it" cough cough. Thank goodness I had my mask on.

I am especially concerned now that the super contagious B.2 is in the US. I have seen sources say that expect it everywhere by mid-March. If B.1 didn't get you, then B.2 just might. Also, there is some research that having had B.1 does not make you immune to getting B.2. Fun times. And like usual, I am the only concerned person in the whole building. MOO

This could be my Mom’s “Resort” retirement apartment you are talking about!

Except un vax anyone are free to eat in the dining room and well, masking, even when there was a short unpopular county mandate was treated as optional.

I had to read your post to my Mother and it gave us some hope there might be one person like you in her building!

We want to offer you our support and thanks for hanging in there.

[It isn’t like it’s not a problem here. For context: in our zip code alone there is 818 reported active cases. Over a 1,000 new cases in the county yesterday with the caveat that it isn’t the true number only the number epidemiology staff have been able to process that day. We are down to about 20- 30 deaths per week from about 45 per week at the end of November.

That’s us down south on the red hot spot map with low vaccine numbers]

all imo

The COVID Jerk — The Atlantic

“As COVID-safety standards evolve in the next weeks or months, I recommend the following principles of non-jerkitude:

Be open. Don’t hide your vaccination status. Don’t hide a positive test result. Even if you think these things don’t matter now that COVID caseloads are declining, others might disagree. Respecting others means letting them know what risks you bring so that they can respond according to their own comfort level.

Adhere to rule and custom. If the supermarket requires masks, wear a mask, even if you think it’s silly. People less tolerant of COVID risk still need to work and shop, and they rely on others’ compliance with policy in deciding when, where, and how to appear in public. For the same reason, even if there’s no explicit rule, don’t be the one person violating customary precautions.

Be willing to compromise. Maybe you think that children should start playing together again without restriction, but another parent in your playdate group feels more cautious. Try respectful conversation aimed at compromise. Can you discover a mutually acceptable set of standards? I should stress here that COVID-cautious people can also be COVID jerks by insisting too stridently on precautions that others find excessive rather than respectfully considering alternative points of view.

Don’t inflict unusual risks or costs on others without their consent. Ordinary living entails inflicting some unwelcome risks and costs on others. We drive our cars, putting not only other drivers but also cyclists and pedestrians at risk. We burn firewood for a cozy winter atmosphere, compromising outdoor air quality. We host noisy parties and talk on our cellphones in public, annoying those around us for our own convenience. It’s part of the implicit social contract, so to speak, that we do these things within ordinary bounds. If the noisy party runs unusually late, if you swoop within inches of a pedestrian at 30 mph, or if you’re shouting ragefully into your cellphone right at the edge of an outdoor café, you break the implicit contract—unless the affected people somehow indicate consent. The same applies with COVID. If you’d like to do something that puts others at unusual risk—and what is “unusual” will vary with time and locale—get consent first.

None of these principles requires that you have a particular opinion about COVID safety. Go ahead and argue against mask requirements at town-hall meetings—but wear a mask if that’s the policy. Petition your school to change the quarantine rules—while continuing to abide by them. You might be mistaken, or you might be correct, but either way you are respecting the people around you.

Nor do these principles require you to live according to your most cautious friend’s code of conduct. If you feel comfortable eating at a restaurant or drinking at a bar, that’s your call. Yes, you might catch COVID (perhaps you’ll be seated downwind of Sarah Palin). You might even inadvertently pass the disease to someone else, perhaps a relative. But if you haven’t been a jerk about it—if you’ve been open, rule-compliant, and respectful; if you told Dad how you’ve been living before exposing him to the indirect risk—then that’s bad luck, not an ethical slip.”

The recurring word?
Respect.

Works both ways, as the article notes -

" I should stress here that COVID-cautious people can also be COVID jerks by insisting too stridently on precautions that others find excessive rather than respectfully considering alternative points of view. "

here's my Q of the day- if you were told that apart from COVID, if you wore a mask, you could avoid getting the flu, would you? would the inconvenience be worth not getting sick for 3-7 days?

If we apply the same principle to the flu as we do to covid, and given the high rate of fatality with the flu as well, then wearing a mask is not just about you not getting the flu, but about protecting others.

At our university, they mandated both the flu and covid-19 vaccine for students and employees, they had wanted to mandate the flu vaccine for a long-time, but knew there would be pushback, so they slipped it in this flu season with less people protesting. It is a permanent policy now.

If we apply the same principle to the flu as we do to covid, and given the high rate of fatality with the flu as well, then wearing a mask is not just about you not getting the flu, but about protecting others.

At our university, they mandated both the flu and covid-19 vaccine for students and employees, they had wanted to mandate the flu vaccine for a long-time, but knew there would be pushback, so they slipped it in this flu season with less people protesting. It is a permanent policy now.

When will it stop though? I’ve never had the flu, maybe when I was younger but I didn’t die…so now in the interest of greater public health we’re meant to just agree to massive pharma dosing us up every few months…I think I’m good thanks. And no, I’m not a conspiracy theorist lol

When will it stop though? I’ve never had the flu, maybe when I was younger but I didn’t die…so now in the interest of greater public health we’re meant to just agree to massive pharma dosing us up every few months…I think I’m good thanks. And no, I’m not a conspiracy theorist lol

I'm always amazed at how many people go to work sick during flu season, with no consideration for infecting others and the risk for serious illness of others, especially seniors and children, for whom the flu can be very deadly.

I think that will change now that we have experienced the pandemic and are more knowledgeable about the impact of our behaviors on the health of others. The social messaging needs to continue if we are serious about this during the flu season. You can go to work while sick with the flu, infect a co-worker, and the co-worker can infect their senior parent, etc. We know the drill by now.

Last edited:
From the CDC's website - Following is a list of all the health and age factors that are known to increase a person’s risk of getting serious complications from flu:

Adults 65 years and older
Children younger than 2 years old
Asthma
Neurologic and neurodevelopment conditions
Blood disorders (such as sickle cell disease)
Chronic lung disease (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD] and cystic fibrosis)
Endocrine disorders (such as diabetes mellitus)
Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease)
Kidney diseases
Liver disorders
Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
People who are obese with a body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher
People younger than 19 years old on long-term aspirin- or salicylate-containing medications.
People with a weakened immune system due to disease (such as people with HIV or AIDS, or some cancers such as leukemia) or medications (such as those receiving chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer, or persons with chronic conditions requiring chronic corticosteroids or other drugs that suppress the immune system)
People who have had a stroke

Other people at higher risk from flu:
Pregnant people and people up to 2 weeks after the end of pregnancy
People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
People from certain racial and ethnic minority groups are at increased risk for hospitalization with flu, including non-Hispanic Black persons, Hispanic or Latino persons, and American Indian or Alaska Native persons

Although all children younger than 5 years old are considered at higher risk of serious flu complications, the highest risk is for those younger than 2 years old, with the highest hospitalization and death rates among infants younger than 6 months old.

Novak Djokovic's Covid tests WERE valid, Serbian officials say | Daily Mail Online

The Belgrade Public Prosecutor's office said Wednesday that investigators had checked with the Health Ministry, which confirmed both of Djokovic's tests were valid - though provided no explanation for why the serial numbers are out of synch.

Djokovic, who previously refused to speak about the events in Australia, told Vucic (Serbian President) he was grateful for the support, adding he that he will address the public within seven to 10 days.

Little update! Our tests are by Roche. I called customer service and they said sitting in the mail a couple of days should not hurt. She also said as long as I get the “control” line on the test, it is working as it should. So that said, my tests are good. I tested this morning and it was negative for COVID. It really does feel like a simple cold so I will go with that. Not the first time a cold has followed me home from vacation.
A shot of DayQuil and a bowl of soup should fix me right up. Mr Pirate is symptom free.

It’s baffling to me though, how so many people are becoming scared of vaccines. We have many reasons to be wary and skeptical of big pharma. MANY reasons. But I don’t think vaccines are the issue. Vaccines have so little cons and they prevent sooooooooooo much sickness and death. People are terrified of getting a flu or Covid shot but will shove handfuls of very addictive anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, pain pills etc. into their mouths no problem. And then when they get very sick they beg the doctors to give them whatever experimental/controversial, potentially dangerous treatment is popular at the time. It just makes no sense and seems to be a mindset people are latching onto that vaccines are bad. I think this is going to set humankind back quite a bit. So many think the government is pushing Covid vaccines on us for nefarious reasons, but just maybe it’s because people don’t always know what’s good for them and we all just want to be able to get on with our lives. Just maybe? There’s just a lot of poorly thought out paranoia these days. JMO

Little update! Our tests are by Roche. I called customer service and they said sitting in the mail a couple of days should not hurt. She also said as long as I get the “control” line on the test, it is working as it should. So that said, my tests are good. I tested this morning and it was negative for COVID. It really does feel like a simple cold so I will go with that. Not the first time a cold has followed me home from vacation.
A shot of DayQuil and a bowl of soup should fix me right up. Mr Pirate is symptom free.
I hope you stay well. For what it's worth, I tested two days after symptoms started and was negative. Tested again 3 days later and positive.

Husband tested the same day I got my positive test - his was negative. Tested again two days later, positive.

I'm always amazed at how many people go to work sick during flu season, with no consideration for infecting others and the risk for serious illness of others, especially seniors and children, for whom the flu can be very deadly.

I think that will change now that we have experienced the pandemic and are more knowledgeable about the impact of our behaviors on the health of others. The social messaging needs to continue if we are serious about this during the flu season. You can go to work while sick with the flu, infect a co-worker, and the co-worker can infect their senior parent, etc. We know the drill by now.
This has happened so many times in the past: "I have to save my time off for vacation", "I have a meeting", "I get bored at home", "If I took off every time my kids brought something home from day care I'd never get any work done" . It will be nice indeed if coming in sick is more stigmatized than it has been in the past.

I did find an email confirming my US gov test kit order, but no shipping confirmation as yet. I ordered on 1/18. Is anyone else still waiting who ordered them?

Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests
Placed on:
01/18/2022

Hello COVID Test Recipient,
Your item is out for delivery on February 3, 2022 at 6:11 am

Hello COVID Test Recipient,
USPS expects to deliver your package by Friday, February 4, 2022 arriving by 9:00pm.

I wonder if people who refuse the vaccine realize that they’ve already paid for it? It’s being bought by the government, which means us. So you can either get the shot you’ve already paid for and almost surely stay out of the hospital OR you can refuse the shot you’ve already paid for and possibly end up in ICU with a million dollar bill, or worse your family gets your million dollar debt because you’re dead from Covid.

How do death rates from COVID-19 differ between people who are vaccinated and those who are not?

Why we need to compare the rates of death between vaccinated and unvaccinated

During a pandemic, you might see headlines like “Half of those who died from the virus were vaccinated”.

It would be wrong to draw any conclusions about whether the vaccines are protecting people from the virus based on this headline. The headline is not providing enough information to draw any conclusions.

Let’s think through an example to see this.

Imagine we live in a place with a population of 60 people.

Base-rate-fallacy-explanation-02-1-400x219.png

Then we learn that 10 people died. And we learn that 50% of them were vaccinated.

Base-rate-fallacy.png

The newspaper may run the headline “Half of those who died from the virus were vaccinated”. But this headline does not tell us anything about whether the vaccine is protecting people or not.

To be able to say anything, we also need to know about those who did not die: how many people in this population were vaccinated? And how many were not vaccinated?

Base-rate-fallacy-explanation-03-400x225.png

Now we have all the information we need and can calculate the death rates:

• of 10 unvaccinated people, 5 died → the death rate among the unvaccinated is 50%
  • of 50 vaccinated people, 5 died → the death rate among the vaccinated is 10%
We therefore see that the death rate among the vaccinated is 5-times lower than among the unvaccinated.

I hope you feel better soon. A bowl of soup sounds delicious. I haven’t had a cold or any airborne respiratory illness in almost two years. Frequent flyer, usually picked up something (last time someone sneezed in my hair...twice, lol) but so far no colds etc!
Now you’ve got me thinking of making some potato soup.

EU travel restrictions could never have stopped Omicron, report finds

Looking at the impact of pre-departure tests imposed by Italy and Finland in December, the researchers found no discernible difference in the spread of the COVID-19 variant.

As of yesterday (1 February) EU countries have been told to base their entry rules on tourists’ vaccination status rather than the COVID situation in the country they departed from.

The crux of the issue is that variants circulate widely before being identified - which is why WHO also cautioned against hasty travel bans.

Coronavirus: Commission proposes to extend the EU Digital COVID Certificate by one year

Extension until June 2023 is being proposed. Also, proposed amendments to the certificate:
  • To include high-quality laboratory-based antigen tests among the types of tests for which a test certificate can be issued.
  • To ensure that vaccination certificates contain the correct overall number of doses administered in any Member State.
  • To provide that certificates may be issued to persons participating in clinical trials for vaccines against COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton