Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charging higher premiums for the unvaxxed and for smokers is much easier to prove and/or quantify than “lack of exercise, sugar consumption, alcohol consumption, untreated high blood pressure, no helmets.” You are either vaxxed or not and you either smoke or not. It may not seem “fair” to exclude these other unhealthful habits from higher premiums, but it is totally impractical to include, quantify how much is too much or too little and track these in an already overly-complicated insurance industry.
JMO

A lot of those things like lack of exercise and sugar consumption could be evident based on body weight. Maybe just an "overweight" classification could be used as a surcharge?

A lot of those things like lack of exercise and sugar consumption could be evident based on body weight. Maybe just an "overweight" classification could be used as a surcharge?
If overweight people could get one safe, effective shot (even in a series of 3) and lose the weight, how many do you think would do it?

i know that herpes stays dormant in the body until it is activated-I dont know
if Covid has that characterstic but I dont think it does--dont know for sure though

5 Dormant Diseases You Should Know About | RxSaver™

The five most common dormant diseases include the following.

• Infectious Mononucleosis

• Latent Tuberculosis Infection

• Cold Sores

• Shingles

• HPV-Common Warts
Can the coronavirus lie dormant and later cause reinfection? The next question researchers are exploring (beckershospitalreview.com)

...Currently, there's no evidence the coronavirus behaves the same way, though it's an area ripe for research...

Last edited:

Overweight will usually lead to other illnesses, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and knee,hip and foot problems, chronic inflammation, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. So if there was a surcharge, this could function as an incentive for people to exercise, cut out sugar, and lose weight.

I am trying to figure out, why here in Florida (Lee County to be specific) the cases are not coming down. Back home in Oakland County Michigan, they are beginning to see a decline in cases, but not here in Florida. I can't figure it out. I know lots and lots of people here in Florida refuse to acknowledge there is even a pandemic (though I am seeing more mask wearing folks, like today at Costco), but I am not sure people in Michigan are any more careful or cautious. Just kind of puzzled. Any ideas?
Did the surge in Michigan begin a bit before the surge in Florida? I know numbers in NYC started to decline at least two weeks before we started seeing a decline here, but their surge began before ours.

Overweight will usually lead to other illnesses, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and knee,hip and foot problems, chronic inflammation, high cholesterol, heart disease, etc. So if there was a surcharge, this could function as an incentive for people to exercise, cut out sugar, and lose weight.

Losing weight is not as simple as that. It helps, but more is involved.

Child struggled to walk after wrongly receiving COVID shot at CVS, KY lawsuit says

Two parents have sued CVS, claiming their young children received COVID-19 vaccines instead of flu shots in October at a Kentucky location.

The parents say their two children received adult doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine Oct. 5 in Louisville, according to the lawsuit filed Feb. 1 in U.S. District Court. It wasn’t until late October when the shot was approved for children ages 5 through 11, but those children are supposed to receive a weaker dosage.

The morning after the shots were given and before CVS notified the family, one of the children complained of pain in his leg, according to the lawsuit.

“By the time he got to school, it was hurt so badly that it was compromising his ability to walk,” the parents saidin the lawsuit.

Both children had negative side effects after receiving the vaccine, and their parents fear their boys suffered mental damage as well.

“They also now live with continuous concern, worry and fear regarding what long-term effects that may suffer after receiving vaccines that were not approved for children their age,” the lawsuit states.

The parents sued CVS for $75,000, citing malpractice, negligence, emotional distress and battery.

Low doses of COVID vaccines given to 3,900 patients, California hospital says

Wrong COVID vaccine given to 25 children ages 5-11 at Virginia pharmacy, officials say

Kids got wrong doses of COVID vaccine, California hospital says. Parents are furious
Did the surge in Michigan begin a bit before the surge in Florida? I know numbers in NYC started to decline at least two weeks before we started seeing a decline here, but their surge began before ours.
5 Dormant Diseases You Should Know About | RxSaver™

The five most common dormant diseases include the following.

• Infectious Mononucleosis

• Latent Tuberculosis Infection

• Cold Sores

• Shingles

• HPV-Common Warts
Can the coronavirus lie dormant and later cause reinfection? The next question researchers are exploring (beckershospitalreview.com)

...Currently, there's no evidence the coronavirus behaves the same way, though it's an area ripe for research...

Great information--- thank you!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...73cf16-d50c-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

Here is another article about this, but not too much to go on. I don't see how the answer can be known yet, as this virus is just two years old. IMO it would have to take years before scientists know if it can lie dormant and emerge 20 years from now. Honestly, how can that be known at this early point in time?

I had chicken pox when I was 14, and although I haven't had shingles 50 years later, I know I could have that emerge someday. But there's a shot for that!

As @jjenny mentioned, if there were a shot to melt people's weight, I'm sure many people would jump on that.

Smokers already pay a higher premium for life insurance. However, once we start lurching in the direction of lifestyle choices for health, we can go anywhere. Most doctors say a plant-based diet is much healthier than a meat-based diet. I haven't eaten meat since I got married in 1978, except in 1981 when I was pregnant and the OB said I had to. So should people who eat meat be penalized?

Like in the past when apps on a phone was a new thing and the catchphrase was "there's an app for that," I feel that way about any disease that can be prevented by a shot. Flu...there's a shot for that! Tuberculosis...there's a shot for that! Pneumonia...there's a shot for that! Measles...there's a shot for that! Covid...there's a shot for that!

Afaik flu doesn't lie latent in the body; I believe people have to be newly infected to get flu again. But then again TB is a respiratory disease and it can lie dormant. So right now Covid is too new and long Covid is being examined to get clues about it.

But it seems to be a puzzle that cannot yet be solved.

IMO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...73cf16-d50c-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

Here is another article about this, but not too much to go on. I don't see how the answer can be known yet, as this virus is just two years old. IMO it would have to take years before scientists know if it can lie dormant and emerge 20 years from now. Honestly, how can that be known at this early point in time?

I had chicken pox when I was 14, and although I haven't had shingles 50 years later, I know I could have that emerge someday. But there's a shot for that!

As @jjenny mentioned, if there were a shot to melt people's weight, I'm sure many people would jump on that.

Smokers already pay a higher premium for life insurance. However, once we start lurching in the direction of lifestyle choices for health, we can go anywhere. Most doctors say a plant-based diet is much healthier than a meat-based diet. I haven't eaten meat since I got married in 1978, except in 1981 when I was pregnant and the OB said I had to. So should people who eat meat be penalized?

Like in the past when apps on a phone was a new thing and the catchphrase was "there's an app for that," I feel that way about any disease that can be prevented by a shot. Flu...there's a shot for that! Tuberculosis...there's a shot for that! Pneumonia...there's a shot for that! Measles...there's a shot for that! Covid...there's a shot for that!

Afaik flu doesn't lie latent in the body; I believe people have to be newly infected to get flu again. But then again TB is a respiratory disease and it can lie dormant. So right now Covid is too new and long Covid is being examined to get clues about it.

But it seems to be a puzzle that cannot yet be solved.

IMO.

I think some of us are saying if there are surcharges, they should be based on high risks. Obesity is one of the huge factors with a high risk. Not just Covid, but overall. I understand people are really sensitive to their weight, but it really is unhealthy in numerous ways. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for it. It takes a lot of discipline to adopt a healthy lifestyle.

That must be hard. :( I hope you get a cure someday.

Thankfully the shots help. I was first diagnosed when I lost 30 pounds over 10 years ago and in the process went up two bra cup sizes. It was so apparent that multiple people including my family accused me of having had breast augmentation. Ever since then no matter what I do weight seems to find me. I NEVER had an issue with weight until then. Even after 2 babies.

Mandatory NHS Covid vaccinations: 'I feel stalked, bullied, harassed'

The above is a story about unvaccinated nurses in the UK. Only a couple give their reason for not getting the shot (mostly psychological issues). I don't understand the logic: If you chose a healthcare profession, can't we assume that you trust in modern medicine, including vaccines?

From the article:
She pointed out that there are many workers who have had the vaccination, but only because this was the a condition of seeing relatives abroad or going on holiday.

Mandatory NHS Covid vaccinations: 'I feel stalked, bullied, harassed'

The above is a story about unvaccinated nurses in the UK. Only a couple give their reason for not getting the shot (mostly psychological issues). I don't understand the logic: If you chose a healthcare profession, can't we assume that you trust in modern medicine, including vaccines?

From the article:
She pointed out that there are many workers who have had the vaccination, but only because this was the a condition of seeing relatives abroad or going on holiday.
Or we could assume that as medical professionals they know best about whether or not the vaccination benefits outweigh the risks.
Or we could assume nothing at all…because we all not what assuming does…

Or we could assume that as medical professionals they know best about whether or not the vaccination benefits outweigh the risks.
Or we could assume nothing at all…because we all not what assuming does…

Here is what I am going to assume as an elderly person who is high risk for contracting Covid: I definitely without question do not want a nurse or any other medical personnel around me who is not vaccinated. period. That person could surely be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus. Beyond that, how could a nurse not understand that he/she is a risk to patients they come in contact with if they are not vaccinated. Covid is an infectious disease and part of the evil part of that virus is that a person can be asymptomatic and spread the virus. I will anticipate your response: that people who are vaccinated can contract the virus and be asymptomatic as well. While that is true, there is a much higher risk for an unvaccinated person to spread the virus than a vaccinated person, and in addition, I believe, though I am not sure, that the viral load would be less in a vaccinated person, thereby minimizing spread of the virus to another person.

I would say if a nurse is unwilling to get vaccinated they dont belong
in health care

Last edited:
I suspect some anti-vaxxers may have a fear of needles, so if a patch or pill were available they would take it.
With a state vaccination rate of 57% and the suspect needle fear - it’s no wonder our blood supply is perilously low. When I gave blood over a week ago they said the demand had increased outside of their supply projections.

‘I’m not getting better’: Man still dealing with symptoms more than a year after getting COVID (clickondetroit.com)

Henry Ford Health System warns of long COVID

DETROIT – Doctors at Henry Ford say now is not the time to let up on COVID precautions.

They also said people should not have the mindset of thinking they’re going to get it anyway.

“We tried to do as much as we could, but we ended up getting it and for me, it never went away,” Jeff Whitmer said.

Jeff Whitmer is experiencing something known as “long COVID.” Jeff and Allison Whitmer got COVID in 2020. While Allison Whitmer recovered within several days, it’s been more than a year and Jeff Whitmer still has symptoms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton