Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my fourth Pfizer dose at CVS. I made an appointment for this morning online and got my shot within five minutes after checking in. I've haven't had any issues aside from a sore arm with the first shot so don't expect any this time. It had been seven months since my first booster.

Grateful. :)

My twin got her 4th shot yesterday and so far no side effects other than the typical pain at the injection site. I'm getting mine tomorrow. We are 64 and both have underlying conditions.

I have zero qualms about getting the shot. My twin had 4 Pfizer shots. I've had three Moderna but am switching it up and getting Pfizer tomorrow.

If it restores some degree of immunity, as it seems to show in Israeli studies, I am all for it and eager for tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting this. I planned on going to Walmart for my 4th booster. I wonder how others have gotten this dose?
Mr Pirate got his 4th dose about a week or so ago. He had very minimal side effects. He got it from Meijer and they only asked if his doctor recommended the booster and if he had underlying conditions. Yes to both. This was before the new guidance so maybe they will not even ask now.

Thanks for reporting this. I planned on going to Walmart for my 4th booster. I wonder how others have gotten this dose?

This is the announcement regarding the 2nd booster shot that is on Walgreen's website. Sounds like you can make an appointment online starting this Friday, April 1st, but they are taking walk-in appointments for the 2nd booster shot now if you meet the CDC requirement of being 50+ or immunocomprised and over 12 years of age.

So maybe it takes a few days for some pharmacies to get ready online, since it was just authorized a few days ago. But sounds like they are all set for walk ins now.

---------------------------------------------
Walgreens website today -
COVID-19 Vaccine Update: CDC allows for a second booster of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for ages 50+ and certain immunocompromised individuals ages 12+ who received a booster dose at least four months ago. Walk-ins welcome or visit this page beginning Friday 4/1 to schedule an appointment.

I haven't decided when to get the 2nd booster shot. Since it only lasts for a few months (at top strength), I may wait until the fall or earlier if BA.2 becomes prevalent in surging numbers in our region. Still thinking about it.

Does anyone know if the Moderna booster ( 4th shot ) will be one
half the dose like the third booster?

I haven't decided when to get the 2nd booster shot. Since it only lasts for a few months (at top strength), I may wait until the fall or earlier if BA.2 becomes prevalent in surging numbers in our region. Still thinking about it.

I'm thinking about it too. But being old (over 75), I will probably get it soon.

I've had the Pfizer shots and booster, but I'm considering getting Moderna for my fourth shot. Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding suggests it would probably be a good idea to switch up boosters. He cites this paper in Science Translational Medicine:
mRNA-1273 and BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccines elicit antibodies with differences in Fc-mediated effector functions
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abm2311

Excerpt from abstract:
"...real-world vaccine efficacy has begun to show differences across the two approved mRNA platforms, BNT162b2 [Pfizer] and mRNA-1273 [Moderna]; these findings suggest that subtle variation in immune responses induced by the BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 vaccines may confer differential protection."

Geez I just popped in here to read current events and now MrJG and I have a Moderna 4th booster appointment at RiteAid. Thanks to all keeping up with this thread, we had no clue there was a 4th booster coming out for us 50+ etc.

COVID pandemic's end may bring turbulence for US health care | AP News

WASHINGTON (AP) — When the end of the COVID-19 pandemic comes, it could create major disruptions for a cumbersome U.S. health care system made more generous, flexible and up-to-date technologically through a raft of temporary emergency measures.

Winding down those policies could begin as early as the summer. That could force an estimated 15 million Medicaid recipients to find new sources of coverage, require congressional action to preserve broad telehealth access for Medicare enrollees, and scramble special COVID-19 rules and payment policies for hospitals, doctors and insurers. There are also questions about how emergency use approvals for COVID-19 treatments will be handled.

The array of issues is tied to the coronavirus public health emergency first declared more than two years ago and periodically renewed since then. It’s set to end April 16 and the expectation is that the Biden administration will extend it through mid-July. Some would like a longer off-ramp.

Transitions don’t bode well for the complex U.S. health care system, with its mix of private and government insurance and its labyrinth of policies and procedures. Health care chaos, if it breaks out, could create midterm election headaches for Democrats and Republicans alike...

COVID pandemic's end may bring turbulence for US health care | AP News

WASHINGTON (AP) — When the end of the COVID-19 pandemic comes, it could create major disruptions for a cumbersome U.S. health care system made more generous, flexible and up-to-date technologically through a raft of temporary emergency measures.

Winding down those policies could begin as early as the summer. That could force an estimated 15 million Medicaid recipients to find new sources of coverage, require congressional action to preserve broad telehealth access for Medicare enrollees, and scramble special COVID-19 rules and payment policies for hospitals, doctors and insurers. There are also questions about how emergency use approvals for COVID-19 treatments will be handled.

The array of issues is tied to the coronavirus public health emergency first declared more than two years ago and periodically renewed since then. It’s set to end April 16 and the expectation is that the Biden administration will extend it through mid-July. Some would like a longer off-ramp.

Transitions don’t bode well for the complex U.S. health care system, with its mix of private and government insurance and its labyrinth of policies and procedures. Health care chaos, if it breaks out, could create midterm election headaches for Democrats and Republicans alike...
15 million Medicaid recipients? I wish the article had explained exactly what is changing in the Medicaid (but not Medicare) program. So they will be dropping all those recipients for what reason? Provide a scenario in the article or list the change in stipulations.
JMO

“As Dr. Moore has previously said, indicators are expected to rise as Ontarians increasingly interact with one another. However, thanks to our high vaccination rates and natural immunity, as well as the arrival of antivirals, Ontario has the tools necessary to manage the impact of the virus," a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health told Narcity”

What is your current vaccination rate?
I checked our area and it’s showing 57% which is dismal. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads