Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting article about whether people should get that 2nd booster at this time. Also discusses that the white house may ration who should get the vaccine, in as much as there are problems with congress funding vaccines and treatments for this virus. What they need to do is take a few billion from the money we are sending to the Ukraine and use it for our citizens here in the United States.

Serious shortage of contrast dye used in medical testing-- because we depend on China for our supply of this product. The United States must becomes less dependent on foreign countries, especially China, for so many products- due to this shortage, medical testing has been delayed in many hospitals around the country.
After two years of this you’d think we would have learned.

Sorry, the way I worded made it sound like they tested positive then came to work.
They tested negative on a rapid the day before reporting to the job so had the all clear to work. We are supposed to report any symptoms and remove ourselves from the job to be tested. They were on site for multiple days, some did additional rapids which were negative but with visible symptoms all were sent to have a PCR test which came back positive.
Masks are required for work but if you take them off during your lunch hour and sit in an indoor area with others to eat with masks off?
A Covid sensor would be a great tool.

Have fun at your reunion!
My employer has gone back to “no eating together” and no food in meetings / conference rooms. It still happens fwiw.

I personally wouldn’t share lunch time with coworkers currently (or dine out @ restaurants ) but things are really booming right now here.

Ireland and Europe at risk of new Covid surge as two new variants of concern declared

Ireland and the rest of Europe is at risk of a significant increase in Covid-19 in the coming weeks after new off-shoots of Omicron were declared variants of concern today (May 13).

The new variants of concern are BA.4 and BA.5, which were first detected in South Africa in January and February of this year. They have led to another surge in infection.

They have become the dominant variants there, the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) said.

BA.2 is still dominant in Ireland and cases are falling. Hospitals which faced major disruption for months are now trying to increase non-Covid care and tackle waiting lists.

However, the new variants are due to become dominant in Portugal, a popular holiday destination with people from Ireland, at the end of this month.

The watchdog said the presence of these variants could cause a significant overall increase in Covid-19 cases in the EU/EEA in the coming weeks.

Both BA.4 and BA.5 are more transmissible than BA.2 but not more severe, according to current evidence.

The ECDC said: "Additionally, there is an increasing trend in the variant proportions for BA.5 observed in Portugal in recent weeks, accompanied by an increase in Covid-19 case numbers and test positivity rate.”

The Portuguese National Institute of Health estimated BA.5 already accounted for 37pc of the positive cases as of May 8, 2022.

The estimated daily growth advantage for BA.5 over BA.2 is 13pc, which is similar to the 12pc daily growth advantage previously reported by South Africa.

(...)

Limited available data from in vitro studies evaluating sera from unvaccinated individuals, who have experienced a prior BA.1 infection, indicate that both BA.4 and BA.5 are capable of escaping immune protection induced by infection with BA.1.

People who are unvaccinated are unlikely to be protected against symptomatic infection with BA.4 or BA.5, the watchdog said.

Protection derived from currently available vaccines does wane over time against the Omicron variant.

(...)

“Based on the limited data currently available, no significant increase in infection severity compared to the circulating lineages BA.1 and BA.2 is expected.

“However, as in previous waves, if Covid-19 case numbers increase substantially, some level of increased hospital and ICU admissions is likely to follow.”

ECDC encouraged countries to remain vigilant for signals of BA.4 and BA.5 emergence. Early variant detection critically relies on sensitive and representative testing and genomic surveillance, with timely sequence reporting.

(...)

Continued close epidemiological and vaccine effectiveness monitoring is essential in order to rapidly detect signals of increased SARS-CoV-2 circulation or risk of severe disease among vaccinated individuals.

“If such signals emerge, a second booster may be considered for some or all adults 60 years and older and for other vulnerable groups,” said the ECDC. “Countries should have plans in place for the rapid deployment of booster doses in these population groups.”

(...)

Ireland and Europe at risk of new Covid surge as two new variants of concern declared

Ireland and the rest of Europe is at risk of a significant increase in Covid-19 in the coming weeks after new off-shoots of Omicron were declared variants of concern today (May 13).

The new variants of concern are BA.4 and BA.5, which were first detected in South Africa in January and February of this year. They have led to another surge in infection.

They have become the dominant variants there, the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) said.

BA.2 is still dominant in Ireland and cases are falling. Hospitals which faced major disruption for months are now trying to increase non-Covid care and tackle waiting lists.

However, the new variants are due to become dominant in Portugal, a popular holiday destination with people from Ireland, at the end of this month.

The watchdog said the presence of these variants could cause a significant overall increase in Covid-19 cases in the EU/EEA in the coming weeks.

Both BA.4 and BA.5 are more transmissible than BA.2 but not more severe, according to current evidence.

The ECDC said: "Additionally, there is an increasing trend in the variant proportions for BA.5 observed in Portugal in recent weeks, accompanied by an increase in Covid-19 case numbers and test positivity rate.”

The Portuguese National Institute of Health estimated BA.5 already accounted for 37pc of the positive cases as of May 8, 2022.

The estimated daily growth advantage for BA.5 over BA.2 is 13pc, which is similar to the 12pc daily growth advantage previously reported by South Africa.

(...)

Limited available data from in vitro studies evaluating sera from unvaccinated individuals, who have experienced a prior BA.1 infection, indicate that both BA.4 and BA.5 are capable of escaping immune protection induced by infection with BA.1.

People who are unvaccinated are unlikely to be protected against symptomatic infection with BA.4 or BA.5, the watchdog said.

Protection derived from currently available vaccines does wane over time against the Omicron variant.

(...)

“Based on the limited data currently available, no significant increase in infection severity compared to the circulating lineages BA.1 and BA.2 is expected.

“However, as in previous waves, if Covid-19 case numbers increase substantially, some level of increased hospital and ICU admissions is likely to follow.”

ECDC encouraged countries to remain vigilant for signals of BA.4 and BA.5 emergence. Early variant detection critically relies on sensitive and representative testing and genomic surveillance, with timely sequence reporting.

(...)

Continued close epidemiological and vaccine effectiveness monitoring is essential in order to rapidly detect signals of increased SARS-CoV-2 circulation or risk of severe disease among vaccinated individuals.

“If such signals emerge, a second booster may be considered for some or all adults 60 years and older and for other vulnerable groups,” said the ECDC. “Countries should have plans in place for the rapid deployment of booster doses in these population groups.”

(...)

I guess pretty soon we will be talking about BA10 and 11- it is apparently going to be a never-ending virus----It is getting on my nerves and I know I am not alone--- I know people are done with the virus but the virus isn't done with us- which is why I am back wearing a mask---- I suppose if I was younger I would not be quite so frustrated and angry, but for those of us in our later years, living in fear of getting the virus and dying from it, well, it is just very unfortunate.

I guess pretty soon we will be talking about BA10 and 11- it is apparently going to be a never-ending virus----It is getting on my nerves and I know I am not alone--- I know people are done with the virus but the virus isn't done with us- which is why I am back wearing a mask---- I suppose if I was younger I would not be quite so frustrated and angry, but for those of us in our later years, living in fear of getting the virus and dying from it, well, it is just very unfortunate.

Influenza and the common cold are never-ending viruses too. They’re just not talked about as much anymore because they're not a “new” virus so to speak. COVID is never going away. That’s why it’s super important to still wear a mask and avoid going anywhere when sick.

I know lots of young people (and even older ones, too) who think that just because restrictions have been eased/lifted that COVID is gone now. Such a terrible mindset to have.

Influenza and the common cold are never-ending viruses too. They’re just not talked about as much anymore because they're not a “new” virus so to speak. COVID is never going away. That’s why it’s super important to still wear a mask and avoid going anywhere when sick.

I know lots of young people (and even older ones, too) who think that just because restrictions have been eased/lifted that COVID is gone now. Such a terrible mindset to have.

the viruses you reference, the common cold and influenza and much less lethal than Covid: those viruses are considered endemic: The flu does take lives, but not nearly in the numbers of Covid, nor does it ravage the body and leave people with "long influenza". Covid is particularly virulent- one day they say it will become endemic and will be with us like the common cold or the flu. The question is how long do we have to go before it becomes endemic? Meanwhile it remains lethal, extremely
transmissible (with all these BA Omicron variants), targets old people, and leaves people with Long Covid. If you look around the country it is hard to believe we are still in a pandemic. People are carrying on like there is no pandemic. Go figure.

the viruses you reference, the common cold and influenza and much less lethal than Covid: those viruses are considered endemic: The flu does take lives, but not nearly in the numbers of Covid, nor does it ravage the body and leave people with "long influenza". Covid is particularly virulent- one day they say it will become endemic and will be with us like the common cold or the flu. The question is how long do we have to go before it becomes endemic? Meanwhile it remains lethal, extremely
transmissible (with all these BA Omicron variants), targets old people, and leaves people with Long Covid. If you look around the country it is hard to believe we are still in a pandemic. People are carrying on like there is no pandemic. Go figure.

Good point.

I imagine it will be awhile before COVID becomes endemic...especially with the way people are carrying on. Even though there are no restrictions where I live, I still mask up.

Good point.

I imagine it will be awhile before COVID becomes endemic...especially with the way people are carrying on. Even though there are no restrictions where I live, I still mask up.
Actually, I think that this will speed up the endemic phase of covid-19, since more people will be infected. For the vulnerable like those of us who are over 65, we still have to protect ourselves, though, even when it becomes endemic.

Actually, I think that this will speed up the endemic phase of covid-19, since more people will be infected. For the vulnerable like those of us who are over 65, we still have to protect ourselves, though, even when it becomes endemic.

Same here.
Not over 65, but I am a long hauler and am susceptible to most respiratory illnesses now :(

As I write this, I am currently dealing with my second cold of the month. Even though I am super safe when at work and out and about, germs still find me lol

Are COVID surges becoming more predictable? New Omicron variants offer a hint​

Omicron relatives called BA.4 and BA.5 are behind a fresh wave of COVID-19 in South Africa, and could be signs of a more predictable future for SARS-CoV-2.

(...)

Moreover, the rise of BA.4 and BA.5 — as well as that of another Omicron offshoot in North America — could mean that SARS-CoV-2 waves are beginning to settle into predictable patterns, with new waves periodically emerging from circulating strains (see ‘Omicron’s new identities’). “These are the first signs that the virus is evolving differently” compared with the first two years of the pandemic, when variants seemed to appear out of nowhere, says Tulio de Oliveira, a bioinformatician at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, who led one of the studies.

(...)

Although BA.4 and BA.5 have been detected in several European countries and in North America, the variants might not set off a fresh COVID-19 wave in these places — at least right away. The closely related BA.2 variant has just swept through Europe, so the population’s immunity could still be high, says Wenseleers. “It gives hope that maybe in Europe it will have a smaller advantage and will cause a smaller wave.”

Some parts of North America are also seeing the rise of other Omicron sub-lineages that have spike-protein mutations in some of the same places as in BA.4 and BA.5. One such variant — called BA.2.12.1 — also has the capacity to evade antibodies triggered by a previous Omicron infection and vaccination, according to the study3 led by Xie, and separate work by virologist David Ho at Columbia University in New York City. (Ho hasn’t yet reported his team’s data in a preprint, but has shared them with US government officials.)

The emergence of these strains suggests that the Omicron lineage is continuing to make gains by eroding immunity, says Ho. “It’s pretty clear that there are a few holes in Omicron that are gradually being filled up by these new sub-variants.”

If SARS-CoV-2 continues along this path, its evolution could come to resemble that of other respiratory infections, such as influenza. In this scenario, immune-evading mutations in circulating variants, such as Omicron, could combine with dips in population-wide immunity to become the key drivers of periodic waves of infection. “It is probably what we should expect to see more and more of in the future,” says Moore.

Previous variants, including Alpha, Delta and Omicron, differed substantially from their immediate predecessors, and all emerged, instead, from distant branches on the SARS-CoV-2 family tree.

Wenseleers and other scientists say we shouldn’t rule out more such surprises from SARS-CoV-2. For instance, Delta hasn’t completely vanished and, as global immunity to Omicron and its expanding family increases, a Delta descendant could mount a comeback. Whatever their source, new variants seem to emerge roughly every six months, notes Wenseleers, and he wonders whether this is the structure that COVID-19 epidemics will settle into.

“That is one way to read the patterns that have been observed so far,” says Bloom. “But I think we should be cautious in extrapolating general rules from a fairly short observation time frame.”

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

*** SIGH ***

Another article of interest:

This is how many lives could have been saved with COVID vaccinations in each state

One tragic fact about the nearly 1 million people who died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is that a huge share of them didn't have to.

In Tennessee, 11,047 of the people who died could have survived if everyone in the state had gotten vaccinated. In Ohio, that number is 15,875. Nationally it's nearly 319,000, according a new estimate.
[...]

The total for the country is stark: Many of the nearly 1 million COVID deaths took place in 2020 before the vaccines were available. But of the more than 641,000 people who died after vaccines were available, half of those deaths could have been averted – 318,981 – had every eligible adult gotten vaccinated. And those numbers are even more striking in certain states where more than half of deaths could have been avoided....

An article by Dr. Eric Topol with some important (if unpleasant to contemplate) points and good charts/graphics, such as this one showing deaths by vaccination status over the period Sept '21 thru Jan '22:

1652648285082.png

He writes:
To recap, we have a highly unfavorable picture of: (1) accelerated evolution of the virus; (2) increased immune escape of new variants; (2) progressively higher transmissibility and infectiousness; (4) substantially less protection from transmission by vaccines and boosters; (5) some reduction on vaccine/booster protection against hospitalization and death; (6) high vulnerability from infection-acquired immunity only; and (7) likelihood of more noxious new variants in the months ahead.

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

UGH. My husband just got his dream job project---but he has to go to Spain for 6 weeks, in August.

I really don't like the sound of this new variant that will be blazing by the time he arrives in the area.

Now that I think further, this project may end up being postponed if the surge really happens.

Interesting article about whether people should get that 2nd booster at this time. Also discusses that the white house may ration who should get the vaccine, in as much as there are problems with congress funding vaccines and treatments for this virus. What they need to do is take a few billion from the money we are sending to the Ukraine and use it for our citizens here in the United States.

The people in Ukraine are in desperate need. But yeah, funding needed health care programs is always a challenge.

We will finally get our second boosters this coming Wednesday, after postponement by our doctor’s office due to short staff. If they postpone again, we will go to a pharmacy chain or the county fairgrounds to get it. At 76 and 77 we aren’t taking any chances. And if we need another version in the fall, we’ll get that too. I’m resigned to the fact that covid will be with us for quite awhile and that we have to continue taking precautions like masks, etc. It is what it is. :(

We will finally get our second boosters this coming Wednesday, after postponement by our doctor’s office due to short staff. If they postpone again, we will go to a pharmacy chain or the county fairgrounds to get it. At 76 and 77 we aren’t taking any chances. And if we need another version in the fall, we’ll get that too. I’m resigned to the fact that covid will be with us for quite awhile and that we have to continue taking precautions like masks, etc. It is what it is. :(

Hopefully second boosters will be available to the younger (not kids, but 18+) age groups before the fall here. Right now, there’s no talk of offering them to anyone under 65. So I patiently wait.

I have one booster so that’s good for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18