Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you were wise!

Here in the UK there is a surge in cases, yet the government has removed all restrictions & stopped access to free lateral flow tests.

We are in our 60’s & have been incredibly careful since the start of the pandemic….fully vaccinated ( Pfizer), very limited contact with family, online grocery shopping, masks in public etc……..however we got married on Monday 4th….hurrah!!…..just us & 2 neighbours as witnesses ie still being careful!

My son & daughter-in-law saw us before & after, to celebrate briefly. D-in-law had a ‘head-cold’ but had had 5 consecutive days of negative lateral flow tests.

She helped me with my hair & make-up ( in the circumstances I hadn’t the heart to say ‘stay away!’ though I could/should have, so expected a head-cold at the very least)

That evening both of them re-tested & were positive for Covid.

3 days later, I developed symptoms & tested positive, so I’m now on Day 6 of isolating in my bedroom with the worst head-cold ever.
( Prior to this I’d not had a cold since the start of the pandemic.)

My husband is still symptom-free & negative, as is my daughter ( who had Covid recently while volunteering in Hawaii & also had a booster just a few weeks ago)

Our boosters were 5 months ago & I recently read a paper in a Medical Journal which suggested ideally a booster should be given 5 months after a Pfizer jab…..however we have to wait our turn…..here the ‘Spring booster’ is currently being offered to Over-75’s & those with medical conditions putting them at high risk.

Day 6 & I’m beginning to feel a bit better, though not complacent, I know respiratory complications can occur at the 3 week mark.

Also worried for my brand-new husband as the incubation period can be longer than my 3 days, so we’re not out of the woods yet.

Stay safe & allow others to make their own decisions regarding social distancing, mask wearing & vaccinations.

Congratulations on your marriage! It's unfortunate that you ended up with Covid. I hope you will recover quickly and fully and your husband doesn't get it too. I'll bet your son and DIL feel terrible about infecting you!

Hopefully you will be flying before the 18th which is when the travel mask mandate is set to expire.
Do most insurance plans cover emergency service at any hospital (except Hawaii?).
At least they covered mine at emergency visits in different states. Maybe you can get supplemental insurance since you’re going to be moving there soon?
Be safe traveling and get a cocktail prior to boarding.
JMO
FYI- just got to Hawaii. My home Airport barely had people wearing masks and hardly anyone wore them on the plane. April 18th doesn’t really seem to matter. So just prepare yourself.

FYI- just got to Hawaii. My home Airport barely had people wearing masks and hardly anyone wore them on the plane. April 18th doesn’t really seem to matter. So just prepare yourself.
Wow. That wasn’t the case for me and the crew a few days ago in several US airports. Totally different scenario!
I’ve never been to Hawaii, hope you enjoy your time there!

Last edited:
Wow. That wasn’t the case for me and the crew a few days ago in several US airports. Totally different scenario!
I’ve never been to Hawaii, hope you enjoy your time there!
Thank you! Here for 2 weeks on Spring Break. We travel out of BWI (to Vegas then Kona). Saw most people not masked. Staff didn’t seem to care. Boarded our flight with more people unmasked than masked. It doesn’t bother me but for the people who are worried about flying with unmasked people I would definitely prepare yourself for worst case scenario. I also wonder if they will extend the mask mandate past April 18? Didn’t they extend it in March?

Mask mandate on planes, trains extended 15 days, CDC announces (nbcnews.com)

The requirement will now go through May 3, the agency announced.

The Biden administration is extending the mask mandate for travelers on airplanes, trains and other transit systems into May, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Wednesday.

The current requirement that all travelers wear face coverings was set to expire on April 18, but the Transportation Security Administration will now extend the requirement for an additional 15 days through May 3, the CDC announced.

"Since early April, there have been increases in the 7-day moving average of cases in the U.S.," the statement said. "In order to assess the potential impact the rise of cases has on severe disease, including hospitalizations and deaths, and health care system capacity, the CDC Order will remain in place at this time."...

Wow Bethan, sorry to hear this. I hope your recovery in imminent and, that your new husband somehow evades the virus!

I think you were wise!

Here in the UK there is a surge in cases, yet the government has removed all restrictions & stopped access to free lateral flow tests.

We are in our 60’s & have been incredibly careful since the start of the pandemic….fully vaccinated ( Pfizer), very limited contact with family, online grocery shopping, masks in public etc……..however we got married on Monday 4th….hurrah!!…..just us & 2 neighbours as witnesses ie still being careful!

My son & daughter-in-law saw us before & after, to celebrate briefly. D-in-law had a ‘head-cold’ but had had 5 consecutive days of negative lateral flow tests.

She helped me with my hair & make-up ( in the circumstances I hadn’t the heart to say ‘stay away!’ though I could/should have, so expected a head-cold at the very least)

That evening both of them re-tested & were positive for Covid.

3 days later, I developed symptoms & tested positive, so I’m now on Day 6 of isolating in my bedroom with the worst head-cold ever.
( Prior to this I’d not had a cold since the start of the pandemic.)

My husband is still symptom-free & negative, as is my daughter ( who had Covid recently while volunteering in Hawaii & also had a booster just a few weeks ago)

Our boosters were 5 months ago & I recently read a paper in a Medical Journal which suggested ideally a booster should be given 5 months after a Pfizer jab…..however we have to wait our turn…..here the ‘Spring booster’ is currently being offered to Over-75’s & those with medical conditions putting them at high risk.

Day 6 & I’m beginning to feel a bit better, though not complacent, I know respiratory complications can occur at the 3 week mark.

Also worried for my brand-new husband as the incubation period can be longer than my 3 days, so we’re not out of the woods yet.

Stay safe & allow others to make their own decisions regarding social distancing, mask wearing & vaccinations.

Covid cases are on the rise, yet few precautions have come back. Why? (nbcnews.com)

As the BA.2 subvariant spreads, Philadelphia is the only major U.S. city reinstating its indoor mask mandate.

When Philadelphia’s health commissioner announced this week that the city’s indoor mask mandate would be reinstated amid increasing Covid-19 cases there, something unusual happened: Not a single other major U.S. city followed suit.

Throughout the pandemic, local, state and federal precautions have followed a predictable pattern. As key Covid indicators such as infections, hospitalizations and deaths have gone up, so have the number of officials who have required masks, proof of vaccination or other measures meant to slow the rate of transmission of the virus.

Now, as the more contagious BA.2 subvariant of the omicron strain spreads, it’s business as usual for much of the country. While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday extended the federal transit mask mandate and a handful of universities have brought back mask requirements, other restrictions remain relaxed...

We have a good friend our age (later 70s) who tested positive for Covid on a home antigen test after developing cold-like symptoms earlier this week. He's now taking Paxlovid, the new oral antiviral drug.

He and his wife had traveled to D.C. for a weekend with family members. They dined out and went to museums, where he said almost no one wore a mask. He and his wife got their second booster not long ago. She doesn't have any symptoms and hasn't had a test yet. I hope they both will be fine.

We have a good friend our age (later 70s) who tested positive for Covid on a home antigen test after developing cold-like symptoms earlier this week. He's now taking Paxlovid, the new oral antiviral drug.

He and his wife had traveled to D.C. for a weekend with family members. They dined out and went to museums, where he said almost no one wore a mask. He and his wife got their second booster not long ago. She doesn't have any symptoms and hasn't had a test yet. I hope they both will be fine.
I hope both of them will be fine also!
Did they wear masks while they were out and about in public? Of course you can’t while eating, I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant but twice in two years. :(
You can spread out a bit in a museum!
I’m concerned about my coworkers who are there with their families this week. :eek:
DC sounds like it could be a hotspot.
JMO

I hope both of them will be fine also!
Did they wear masks while they were out and about in public? Of course you can’t while eating, I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant but twice in two years. :(
You can spread out a bit in a museum!
I’m concerned about my coworkers who are there with their families this week. :eek:
DC sounds like it could be a hotspot.
JMO

He mentioned that his wife wore a mask all the time in public except when eating, but he didn't say whether he did.

Re DC being a hotspot, sounds like you are right. He said the museums were full of unmasked people. He was particularly impressed with the new National Museum of African American History and Culture and said it would take days to see all of its collections.

We used to live near DC and visited the museums often, but there are several newer ones we haven't seen. With the BA.2 variant and all the unmasked people, I wouldn't want to go there now.

Pfizer says Covid booster for kids 5-11 ups antibodies against omicron (nbcnews.com)

The company says it plans to submit its data to the FDA for authorization.

A booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine raised antibody levels in children ages 5 to 11, the company said Thursday.

The additional shot, given six months after the two-dose primary series, led to a sixfold increase in antibodies against the original strain of the coronavirus...

Covid 'far from becoming endemic', says WHO's Mike Ryan

Covid-19 is far from becoming an endemic disease and could still trigger large epidemics around the globe, the World Health Organization has said.

WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan said it was also wrong to think that if Covid-19 did settle down and become endemic, that would mean the end of the problem.

"I certainly do not believe we've reached anything close to an endemic situation with this virus," Dr Ryan told a live question-and-answer session on the WHO's social media channels.

He said it had not settled down into any seasonal pattern or transmission pattern, and was still quite volatile, still capable of causing huge epidemics.

"That is not an endemic disease yet."

He cited tuberculosis and malaria as endemic diseases that still killed millions of people per year.

"Don't believe that endemic equals it's over, it's mild or not a problem. That's not the case at all," Dr Ryan said.

(...)

Dr Ryan explained that often, once-epidemic diseases settle down into an endemic pattern, focusing on a particular section of the population.

He said they could often settle into becoming childhood diseases, such as measles and diphtheria, because "as new children are born, they are susceptible".

But if vaccination levels drop, as has happened with measles, epidemics can break out again.

(...)

Two new omicron variants are spreading in N.Y. and elsewhere. Here's what we know

On Wednesday, health officials in New York said that two new omicron variants are spreading rapidly in the state. The variants appear to be causing a small surge in cases in central New York state, the department of health said.

Known as BA.2.12 and BA.2.12.1, the variants are closely related to the BA.2 variant – a version of omicron that has caused surges across Europe and is now dominant across the U.S.

My comment: A "small surge" doesn't sound like much, but you never know what's coming next....

The Food and Drug Administration has granted emergency use authorization to a new COVID-19 test that can detect infections with only a sample of a patient's breath, using a device that can yield results in less than three minutes.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes First COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Using Breath Samples

FDA authorizes breath test that can detect COVID-19 in three minutes

I wonder how long it will take to become available at those testing sites referenced in the article

I am puzzled as to how long the booster is protective-- I don't want to get the 2nd booster before 6 months after the first booster. I just don't feel comfortable getting it sooner, but I wonder at what point does the 3rd shot wane to the point of not providing much protection. For me 6 months will be mid- May. I heard a physician speak on one of the cable channels this morning: she stated that they do not know how long immunity lasts with natural infection or with vaccines and she expressed concern about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper