Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it being reported that the newest vaccine version has only been tested on mice. I’m vaccinated and boosted. Is anyone concerned that there have been no human trials?
I'm not really concerned about that.

From the Science article:
The companies say clinical trials for the BA.4/BA.5 vaccines will begin next month; they need clinical data both for full approval of the vaccines—their recent submissions are only for emergency use authorization—and to help develop future updates. Presumably they will measure recipients’ antibody levels, but not the vaccine’s efficacy against infection or severe disease. Such trials are very expensive and were not done for the BA.1 shot either.

How can authorities consider authorizing vaccines without data from human trials?

Influenza vaccines are updated each spring to try to match the strain most likely to circulate in the fall and winter. The reformulated shots don’t have to undergo new clinical trials unless the manufacturers significantly change the way they make the vaccine. A similar approach for new COVID-19 variants makes sense, says Leif Erik Sander, an infectious disease expert at the Charité University Hospital in Berlin. The changes to the mRNA are minor and providing updated vaccines as quickly as possible is “an ethical issue,” Sander says. “We need to allow people to protect themselves from a virus that we can’t fully control.”

Covid vaccinations will likely become an annual affair, White House officials said Tuesday, with a schedule resembling that of flu shots.

"In the absence of a dramatically different variants, we likely are moving towards a path with a vaccination cadence similar to that of the annual influenza vaccine, with annual updated Covid-19 shots matched to the currently circulating strains for most of the population," Dr. Anthony Fauci said at a White House briefing.

The reasoning behind this expectation, according to Fauci and White House Covid-19 Response Coordinator Ashish Jha, has to do with improved protection from newly updated Covid booster shots...

Just got a text from our DIL urging us to go ahead and get the bivalent booster now that it's available. She's an infectious disease doc and I pay attention to what she says! We can probably get it tomorrow. Might get the flu shot too while we are at it.
ETA: remember folks, we are old! Later 70s.

Just got a text from our DIL urging us to go ahead and get the bivalent booster now that it's available. She's an infectious disease doc and I pay attention to what she says! We can probably get it tomorrow. Might get the flu shot too while we are at it.
ETA: remember folks, we are old! Later 70s.

I just called our doctor. They don’t know when they’re getting it. Then I called our local Rite Aid pharmacy and they don’t have it, even though the Rite Aid website says this particular store does have the updated vaccine. Guess we’ll wait a bit as planned.

I just called our doctor. They don’t know when they’re getting it. Then I called our local Rite Aid pharmacy and they don’t have it, even though the Rite Aid website says this particular store does have the updated vaccine. Guess we’ll wait a bit as planned.
Check with Walgreen’s. A friend lives in a different area of my state and she was able to schedule one for Thursday.

Is it being reported that the newest vaccine version has only been tested on mice. I’m vaccinated and boosted. Is anyone concerned that there have been no human trials?
I just got the updated booster. I am not concerned. They don't do trials for flu vaccine variations anymore. This is a very similar thing. They just changed the sequence of the spike protein to represent omicron.

I got mine at CVS today. They already have an updated version.

I just got the updated booster. I am not concerned. They don't do trials for flu vaccine variations anymore. This is a very similar thing. They just changed the sequence of the spike protein to represent omicron.
Thanks! I’m going to try to schedule my booster this week. I use a small pharmacy in my old hometown for my vaccines. I’m going to try to schedule my flu vaccine and booster. My pharmacist is vaccinated and boosted. Both he and his wife (also a pharmacist) have been out down with Covid. They are super careful, wear masks and limit there outings besides work and church. He faired ok but his wife struggled for 2 weeks.

I have an appt for the updated booster tomorrow at Walgreens here in Michigan. I never got a second booster so my last COVID vaccine was back in October 2021. Mr. Pirate did get a second vaccine this summer and will probably hold off a month or two.

An antibody has been developed that can neutralize all Covid 19 variants- so far this has been tested in mice but seems to have a lot of potential. we shall see. I imagine it will take a few years to come to fruition -- obviously it must be tested in humans and have a good safety profile.

Scientists find COVID-19 antibodies that can make boosters unnecessary

Researchers at Tel Aviv University found two antibodies that neutralize all known strains of COVID-19 with up to 95% efficiency

The new research is a continuation of a preliminary study conducted in October 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Then, Freund and her colleagues sequenced all the B immune system cells from the blood of Israelis who had recovered from the original COVID strain and isolated nine antibodies that the patients produced. The researchers now found that some of these antibodies are very effective in neutralizing the new coronavirus variants, Delta and Omicron.

Conformational flexibility in neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 by naturally elicited anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies

Scientists find COVID-19 antibodies that can make boosters unnecessary

Researchers at Tel Aviv University found two antibodies that neutralize all known strains of COVID-19 with up to 95% efficiency

The new research is a continuation of a preliminary study conducted in October 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Then, Freund and her colleagues sequenced all the B immune system cells from the blood of Israelis who had recovered from the original COVID strain and isolated nine antibodies that the patients produced. The researchers now found that some of these antibodies are very effective in neutralizing the new coronavirus variants, Delta and Omicron.

Conformational flexibility in neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 by naturally elicited anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies

The problem with antibodies is that they are expensive and have to be injected (you can't prescribe them to be taken at home). So even if they work really well they are not going to make boosters un-necessary.

Check with Walgreen’s. A friend lives in a different area of my state and she was able to schedule one for Thursday.

Our Walgreen's has the Pfizer bivalent vaccine and you can sign up for an appointment online. They were doing walk-in appointments until today, but starting tomorrow you have to make an appointment online.

ETA: Eligibility is two months after vaccination or booster. I will wait until early October, and get the flu vaccine at the same time. My husband didn't get the second booster, so he will probably get the bivalent shot next week, before an outpatient surgery he has scheduled for later this month.

This article describes the most common side effects of the new bivalent vaccine and SURPRISE! the side effects are pretty much the same as side effects from the older vaccine- and that is good. no surprises here.

A good article discussing Long Covid-- how difficult it is to diagnose and treat.
Yep :(

My doctor has medically recognized that I have Long COVID, but because it involves so many systems, we’re just focusing on treating everything separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe