Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104 Thread #105 Thread #106 Thread #107 Thread #108 Thread #109

PLEASE NOTE:

Tricia set up the Covid forum for people who are genuinely concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing its existence or downplaying the severity of it. Please know that MSM, scientists, politicians, government agencies worldwide are not involved in the biggest conspiracy in the history of man to convey the pandemic as more serious than it is.

If you aren't concerned about Covid-19, this Covid forum is not for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Members whose posts seem designed to downplay the seriousness of the virus or the pandemic may experience a loss of posting privileges, whether a Thread Reply Ban or Time Out of minimum 1 week up to 3 months from the Websleuths forum.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:

Oct 06, 2022

SBM
Ottawa Public Health suggests people planning gatherings consider heading outdoors or opening windows indoors to improve the ventilation. Levels of COVID-19 in Ottawa remain high, according to Ottawa Public Health’s weekly update released Thursday. OPH said last week that the city is in another wave of COVID-19. OPH said it “strongly recommends” wearing a mask in any indoor and/or crowded place.

#More at link

When I moved here (Latvia) I signed up on the U.S. Embassy's travel advisory. In the last few days I have gotten a ton of Level 1 travel items from most the European countries re the virus - so maybe going back to wearing masks, etc. here in Europe.

But then I have always been wearing my mask when going out... :)

As the United States enters a third fall with COVID-19, the virus for many is seemingly gone — or at least out of mind. But for those keeping watch, it is far from forgotten as deaths and infections continue to mount at a lower but steady pace.

What does that mean for the upcoming months? Experts predict different scenarios, some more dire than others — with one more encouraging.

In the United States, more than 300 people still die every day from COVID and more than 44,000 new daily cases are reported, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...

Epidemiologists and other medical experts laud the progress, but as they look at the maps and the numbers, they see several scenarios ahead that signal a coming wave of disease, among them more-resistant variants coupled with waning immunity, the potential for a "twindemic" with a flu/COVID onslaught, and underuse of lifesaving vaccines and treatments...

Omicron variant BA.5 still makes up about 80% of infections in the United States, followed by BA4.6, according to the CDC, but other subvariants are emerging and showing signs of resistance to current antiviral treatments.

Eric Topol, MD, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Medscape's editor-in-chief, said about COVID this fall: "There will be another wave, magnitude unknown."

He said subvariants XBB and BQ.1.1 "have extreme levels of immune evasion and both could pose a challenge," explaining that XBB is more likely to cause trouble than BQ.1.1 because it is even more resistant to natural or vaccine-induced immunity....

Another variant to watch, some experts say, is Omicron subvariant BA.2.75.2, which has shown resistance to antiviral treatments...

[More at link]

This is behind a paywall- perhaps somebody can find it elsewhere --
In any event it does not bode well because this new subvariant may escape the protections we have developed. Sigh. Right now it has been discovered in California but I am sure it will spread quickly to other states. Lets just say there is concern about this.

In any event it does not bode well because this new subvariant may escape the protections we have developed. Sigh. Right now it has been discovered in California but I am sure it will spread quickly to other states. Lets just say there is concern about this.
Here is an informative article about the new Covid variant appearing in California.
DH and I have appointments for our 65+ flu shots tomorrow. We will inquire about Rite Aid's bivalent injection availability and schedule appointments for next month.

Here is an informative article about the new Covid variant appearing in California.
DH and I have appointments for our 65+ flu shots tomorrow. We will inquire about Rite Aid's bivalent injection availability and schedule appointments for next month.

I have never had a flu shot because I have so many allergies--- As far as the bivalent, you and I got our last booster around the same time(July)--- so you are going to get the bivalent 4 months after the last booster? I thought about waiting a little longer because I don't like getting boosters so often, but I may have to re-think that due to the possibility of mutating subvariants that are said to be of concern.

I have never had a flu shot because I have so many allergies--- As far as the bivalent, you and I got our last booster around the same time(July)--- so you are going to get the bivalent 4 months after the last booster? I thought about waiting a little longer because I don't like getting boosters so often, but I may have to re-think that due to the possibility of mutating subvariants that are said to be of concern.
Yes, we got our boosters at around the same time - November 2020 and July 2021. I don't want to get two injections at the same time but will ask the pharmacist when I should get the updated bivalent booster. If pharmacist thinks it's alright to get the new booster sooner rather than later, I'll schedule it for next month. If I can postpone it until December or January (closer to our cruise), I'll consider waiting.

O/T I hope your condo didn't sustain too much damage from Hurricane Ian. The devastation in the Fort Myers is heartwrenching.

Yes, we got our boosters at around the same time - November 2020 and July 2021. I don't want to get two injections at the same time but will ask the pharmacist when I should get the updated bivalent booster. If pharmacist thinks it's alright to get the new booster sooner rather than later, I'll schedule it for next month. If I can postpone it until December or January (closer to our cruise), I'll consider waiting.

O/T I hope your condo didn't sustain too much damage from Hurricane Ian. The devastation in the Fort Myers is heartwrenching.

The devastation to Fort Myers is heartbreaking and almost unfathomable.
Our unit is pretty much intact but the 7 buildings sustained a lot of infrastructure
Damage ----- the first floor units are totally destroyed. Fort Myers Beach is
Just gone.

Greetings from the Retirement home. We have had a few sporadic cases here and there lately of COVID, one person died from it, another had Covid, recovered, then had a massive heart attack and passed away.
The latest "fun" thing that is happening on Halloween is: 80 children from the local daycare are coming in to spend time in a tiny room with vulnerable seniors who will be passing out candy to them. I'm sure it will be okay/s. Even if COVID doesn't visit with them, I'm sure some upper respiratory infections will! Our activities director was so excited about this event, since they haven't done it for two years. Sigh.

DH and I got our 65+ flu shots this morning. We were called into the consultation room at the same time, and I went first even though DH had the earlier appointment. Before getting my shot, we talked to the pharmacist about the bivalent Covid booster and when would be the best time for us to get it. CDC recommendation is that anyone who is eligible can get the new booster as early as two months since their last booster. We told him that we were considering the updated booster for next month, and he said that would be fine. When I mentioned our upcoming cruise (late January) and said that we thought about waiting until closer to that date, he said that putting off the booster until December would probably be alright, too. We really liked the pharmacist and felt that he took time with us and answered all of our questions about the bivalent booster. He assured us that we were not the only patients to express concern about getting boosters so close together and that, like ourselves, many folks do not want to get both the flu shot and the new booster at the same time.

Last edited:
Hospitals nationwide are preparing for another winter with Covid — the first one that's also expected to include high levels of influenza and other respiratory illnesses that have simmered quietly in the background for the past two years.

Flu cases are already rising in parts of the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pediatricians, too, are seeing a growing number of children sick with respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, and enteroviruses.

And despite a downward trend in Covid, tens of thousands of new cases are still being diagnosed every day.

The convergence of viruses is hitting health care systems as they're forced to reckon with staffing shortages that worsened during the pandemic.

"If you go around the nation and ask hospitals how busy they are, every single one of them will tell you: They’re busy," said Dr. Carlos del Rio, an executive associate dean at the Emory University School of Medicine and Grady Health System in Atlanta...

My brother is a retired anesthesiologist and his wife is a retired nurse and both chose to not get the covid vaccine. Well, they both had covid. My sil was in bed for 1 month+. They chose not to get the flu vaccine. Now my sil has a terrible case of the flu and is teetering on pneumonia. You can’t fix stupid.

Greetings from the Retirement home. We have had a few sporadic cases here and there lately of COVID, one person died from it, another had Covid, recovered, then had a massive heart attack and passed away.
The latest "fun" thing that is happening on Halloween is: 80 children from the local daycare are coming in to spend time in a tiny room with vulnerable seniors who will be passing out candy to them. I'm sure it will be okay/s. Even if COVID doesn't visit with them, I'm sure some upper respiratory infections will! Our activities director was so excited about this event, since they haven't done it for two years. Sigh.
Good to hear from you again.
The tiny room sounds like a terrible idea. My daughter and grandson last week both caught a really nasty case of flu (confirmed as a type A flu and not COVID). It was something that I stayed far away from (beyond dropping off some food) as it really took its toll on them symptom-wise. While I understand that cross-generations activities are enjoyable and beneficial, it boggles the mind that this is planned as an indoor, small room activity. Outside would've been some much safer against covid or flu (and would've diffused the volume associated with 80 young children :) ).

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized updated Covid booster shots that target the omicron variant of the virus for young children.

The FDA authorized Pfizer-BioNTech's modified vaccine for kids 5 to 11. Moderna’s shot was authorized for kids 6 through 17.

Children who have received a two-dose primary series of any vaccine and those who've received a booster are eligible to get the updated boosters as long as two months have passed since their last dose, the FDA said in a statement.

The decision will now go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which could issue its final recommendation on the updated shots within hours...

This article from UNC was published in late September, and the study results were published in JAMA. It's encouraging to read about how effective the original vaccine and the boosters have been over the past couple of years.

A new study of more than 10 million North Carolinians, published this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), highlights just how effective COVID-19 vaccines, boosters and prior infection can be, both in reducing the risk of future infection and in preventing hospitalization and death.

The study gives a clearer picture of the separate protections that vaccination and prior infection might bring, and it compares the effectiveness of vaccines and boosters between those who have and have not had a previous case of COVID-19.

In addition, it demonstrates the effectiveness of the primary series of COVID-19 vaccines a year and a half after administration. The findings also suggest that omicron infection can protect against re-infection with omicron, although the level of protection wanes over time.

“Our study provides the most comprehensive characterizations of the effectiveness of primary and booster vaccination and prior infection in the United States,” said Danyu Lin, PhD, who is the study’s lead researcher and the Dennis Gillings Distinguished Professor of Biostatistics at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.

Researchers found that those who received the primary series of vaccines were less likely to become infected or experience severe outcomes from infection than those who were unvaccinated, even after a year and a half. Those who received a booster dose had higher protection than those who received only the primary series.

Results also show that boosting those who were previously uninfected conferred great protection, especially against hospitalization and death, while boosting also provided additional protection for previously infected individuals.

The data, captured between March 2020 and June 2022, comprises several SARS-CoV-2 variants, including omicron and its more recent subvariants. While the effectiveness of both vaccines and prior infection waned over time, especially against infection with the omicron variant, the protection against hospitalization and death remained strong.

Lin says that the rapid decline of protection from boosters and prior infection against subsequent infection during the omicron period points to the need for bivalent (omicron) boosters. He expects that the new boosters, which are now available to those ages 12 and up, will fare similarly to the booster for the original strain.

(more at link)

Slightly OT flu

And
East coast

WA

Thanks for bringing this info about flu forward @weepingangel. Your last link is actually CA, not WA. My bil and sil went to Patrick Henry High School in San Diego many years ago, so it caught my eye. Glad I got my flu shot and covid booster recently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14