Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for bringing this info about flu forward @weepingangel. Your last link is actually CA, not WA. My bil and sil went to Patrick Henry High School in San Diego many years ago, so it caught my eye. Glad I got my flu shot and covid booster recently!
Whoops. Thanks for correcting that info!

Thanks for bringing this info about flu forward @weepingangel. Your last link is actually CA, not WA. My bil and sil went to Patrick Henry High School in San Diego many years ago, so it caught my eye. Glad I got my flu shot and covid booster recently!
DH and I got our high dose flu shots this afternoon. We got our bivalent Covid boosters about a month ago. Hoping for a healthy winter!

Worth a listen, in my opinion. We’ve come this far together... Hugs and tears.

Episode 115: A New Phase​

October 13, 2022​

In "A New Phase," Dr. Osterholm and Chris Dall discuss the many new subvariants that are competing with BA.5, the Ebola outbreak in Uganda, and the challenges that will come with the next phase of the pandemic.

Email us your questions: OsterholmUpdate@umn.edu(link sends e-mail)

More episodes

DH and I got our 65+ flu shots this morning. We were called into the consultation room at the same time, and I went first even though DH had the earlier appointment. Before getting my shot, we talked to the pharmacist about the bivalent Covid booster and when would be the best time for us to get it. CDC recommendation is that anyone who is eligible can get the new booster as early as two months since their last booster. We told him that we were considering the updated booster for next month, and he said that would be fine. When I mentioned our upcoming cruise (late January) and said that we thought about waiting until closer to that date, he said that putting off the booster until December would probably be alright, too. We really liked the pharmacist and felt that he took time with us and answered all of our questions about the bivalent booster. He assured us that we were not the only patients to express concern about getting boosters so close together and that, like ourselves, many folks do not want to get both the flu shot and the new booster at the same time.
I went to get my flu shot this week and asked about getting the booster, nurse said 4 of them including my doctor got the flu shot and Pfizer booster at the same time with only a day of tiredness and sore arm the day after the shot.

Greetings from the Retirement home. We have had a few sporadic cases here and there lately of COVID, one person died from it, another had Covid, recovered, then had a massive heart attack and passed away.
The latest "fun" thing that is happening on Halloween is: 80 children from the local daycare are coming in to spend time in a tiny room with vulnerable seniors who will be passing out candy to them. I'm sure it will be okay/s. Even if COVID doesn't visit with them, I'm sure some upper respiratory infections will! Our activities director was so excited about this event, since they haven't done it for two years. Sigh.
Oh my word. A daycare. 80 kids.
Thank goodness they are just doing music and a costume parade at the center here.

DH and I received texts this morning reminding us of our dental appointments next Monday. Masks are no longer required, and we will be able to sit in the waiting room even if there are other patients. During the pandemic, we had to call and let them know we were there and stay in our vehicle until the hygienist came to get us. Only one of us was allowed in the office at a time. Thank goodness that's over :)

“With the experience of last year’s record-breaking Omicron wave, American leaders should now—at least, in theory—be very well equipped to deal with what’s ahead. Health agencies should be preparing clear, actionable messages on COVID measures for the holiday season. Masks, COVID tests, and treatments should be plentiful and accessible to all Americans. And indoor air quality should be improved by upgraded ventilation in schools, workplaces, and other public settings.

Yet these essential steps are not in place. The CDC has issued no updated guidelines to the public. Though new bivalent boosters are available, uptake so far has been shockingly low. Even more seriously, recent federal funding cuts have ended programs providing free COVID tests, vaccines, and treatments—all crucial for protecting American communities and, particularly, vulnerable groups. Because of these cuts, COVID testing labs and manufacturers are reducing their operations. In mid-October, with little warning, the CDC announced the end of its program providing free N95 masks to the public. As the end of the year approaches, it is highly likely that Americans are about to be blindsided by another wave. Without renewed funding to cover these basic necessities, the U.S. could be facing another very dark pandemic winter.”

——-
I think many Americans have forgotten how bad it was right after Thanksgiving and through the winter.

The pandemic wasn’t over then and it’s not over now.

And we have less healthcare workers in the hospitals, home health, hospice.

If you have a loved one in the hospital in December-January be prepared to set up a rotation of people that will be there with the patient in the hospital. I spent a lot of time at three different hospitals during that time and each one was overwhelmed and understaffed.

JMO

I do not plan to get a booster every three months. I believe this vaccine is a miracle but they need to work on making it last longer. I know it isn't so easy- they are trying to develop a nasal spray and that is not working out so well

“With the experience of last year’s record-breaking Omicron wave, American leaders should now—at least, in theory—be very well equipped to deal with what’s ahead. Health agencies should be preparing clear, actionable messages on COVID measures for the holiday season. Masks, COVID tests, and treatments should be plentiful and accessible to all Americans. And indoor air quality should be improved by upgraded ventilation in schools, workplaces, and other public settings.

Yet these essential steps are not in place. The CDC has issued no updated guidelines to the public. Though new bivalent boosters are available, uptake so far has been shockingly low. Even more seriously, recent federal funding cuts have ended programs providing free COVID tests, vaccines, and treatments—all crucial for protecting American communities and, particularly, vulnerable groups. Because of these cuts, COVID testing labs and manufacturers are reducing their operations. In mid-October, with little warning, the CDC announced the end of its program providing free N95 masks to the public. As the end of the year approaches, it is highly likely that Americans are about to be blindsided by another wave. Without renewed funding to cover these basic necessities, the U.S. could be facing another very dark pandemic winter.”

——-
I think many Americans have forgotten how bad it was right after Thanksgiving and through the winter.

The pandemic wasn’t over then and it’s not over now.

And we have less healthcare workers in the hospitals, home health, hospice.

If you have a loved one in the hospital in December-January be prepared to set up a rotation of people that will be there with the patient in the hospital. I spent a lot of time at three different hospitals during that time and each one was overwhelmed and understaffed.

JMO

It is amazing to me that people are living life like there is no pandemic. A good friend of mine, an elderly woman, is dining out, going to concerts and all that kind of stuff. She is busy every day and night. I am a hermit and plan to stay that way for the forseeable future.

DH and I received texts this morning reminding us of our dental appointments next Monday. Masks are no longer required, and we will be able to sit in the waiting room even if there are other patients. During the pandemic, we had to call and let them know we were there and stay in our vehicle until the hygienist came to get us. Only one of us was allowed in the office at a time. Thank goodness that's over :)

Quite honestly, I still expect any medical (or dental) office I go to, to require masking. There is no way we are out of the pandemic---My dental office never required the protocol you describe as far as having to wait in the vehicle etc. That would definitely be a pain!

Quite honestly, I still expect any medical (or dental) office I go to, to require masking. There is no way we are out of the pandemic---My dental office never required the protocol you describe as far as having to wait in the vehicle etc. That would definitely be a pain!
My primary care physician's office did the same thing and, yes, it was a pain. I called the office when I arrived, they asked me the typical Covid questions about symptoms, travel, possible exposure to Covid, then either told me to proceed to the front door or wait for a call when they were ready for me. They dropped the protocol in the spring.

My husband, daughter and myself had been so busy patting ourselves on the back that we managed to duck this pandemic. Vaccines and booster were done and then boom we all 3 came down with it. I had it the worse but got rid of it quicker. My poor daughter can't seem to get a negative test for more than 2 weeks although she feels pretty good. Now I'm paranoid of getting it again. My husband and daughter travel alot. They have been to Africa, Florida, the Caribbean but then they went to Vegas and I think that is where we got it. Curse this virus I say!

Around here - the doctors with a large waiting room or in a larger building have chairs spaced out and you don’t have to wait in your car.
Two of my doctors require that you wait in the car which I prefer, the seat is definitely more comfortable and I’m not sitting elbow to elbow with obviously sick people. I like just walking from my car (with music, adjustable seats and climate controls lol) into a treatment room. Especially with flu cases already in the community. All of ours still require masks.

I do not plan to get a booster every three months. I believe this vaccine is a miracle but they need to work on making it last longer. I know it isn't so easy- they are trying to develop a nasal spray and that is not working out so well
I don't think they are saying it only lasts 3 months. I think that's just how much data they have at this point. Quote from article, BBM:
  • "Clinical trial data now indicates that the superior immune response produced by our bivalent booster has durability for at least three months," Moderna Chief Executive Officer Stephane Bancel said in a statement.

I always mask when I'm in a medical office. I usually call the front desk to notify them that I'm in my car waiting. All my medical providers have a portal where I can update my medical info.

My primary care physician's office did the same thing and, yes, it was a pain. I called the office when I arrived, they asked me the typical Covid questions about symptoms, travel, possible exposure to Covid, then either told me to proceed to the front door or wait for a call when they were ready for me. They dropped the protocol in the spring.
I don’t have to go in and then go back to my car. When I check in online or when they call to confirm they get your phone number and instruct you to stay in your car. They text you when it’s time for you to come in.

I don’t have to go in and then go back to my car. When I check in online or when they call to confirm they get your phone number and instruct you to stay in your car. They text you when it’s time for you to come in.
Patients didn't enter the office upon arrival but called the office from their vehicle in the parking lot. If staff were ready for you, they told you to come to the front door where a nurse would greet you, take your temperature, lead you to the scale, then take you to an exam room. There were no other patients around as they kept everyone well-spaced while in the building. Confirmation is a robo-call a couple of days prior to your scheduled appointment day/time. When I was there in the spring, masks were still required but no more waiting in the car. There were a few patients in the waiting room with chairs well-spaced. I don't go there again until January and will be interested to see how things are by then - especially if there's a Covid surge.

Our son and DIL plan to come here for Christmas, driving rather than flying. I'm thrilled that they are coming, and I''m also wondering if we should all take a home Covid test before they arrive. They are fully vaxxed and boosted, as are we. None of us have had Covid so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025